Prospect Spotlight -- Killian Hayes

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Prospect Spotlight -- Killian Hayes 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:06 pm

kg01 wrote:If you're taking requests, I'd like to see some intel on points 'n posts. I think that's the direction we should be going in.

Thoughts on my guy Killian Hayes? He and Haliburton are intriguing to me.

CP War Hawks wrote:Killian Hayes might be the best ball handler among the top 7 prospects. That alone makes him on my shortlist.

The Ringer (which always runs one of the most in-depth draft scouting efforts each year) has named Hayes as the #1 prospect in this year's draft.

KILLIAN HAYES
Guard, Ulm / France

Dynamic left-handed shot maker who’s made rapid progress at age 18, though he’s raw in some technical areas.
Shades Of: D’Angelo Russell, Manu Ginobili
Age------------18.7
Wingspan-----6'8.25''
Height--------6'5''
Weight--------215

PLUSES
  • Playmaking is his best skill. He can whip passes off the dribble with accuracy and hit cutters or rollers with precision.
  • Creative pick-and-roll facilitator. Despite his weak right hand, he gets where he wants and knows how to manipulate defenses to create passing angles and openings to score.
  • Fluid ball handler with the size to outmuscle smaller guards.
  • Excellent touch with his left hand finishing difficult floaters and runners, often after initiating contact.
  • Displays major potential as an off-the-dribble 3-point shooter with Hardenesque moves. Added a stepback and sidestep 3 to his arsenal and uses hesitations to get into pull-ups.
  • His catch-and-shoot shooting numbers are concerning, but he has smooth form, a soft touch inside, and a free throw percentage over 80—all of which suggest he’ll figure it out.
  • Tall, with a strong frame and long arms, making him a projectably versatile defender against guards and wings.
  • Active off-ball menace who could develop into a disruptive defensive helper.

MINUSES
  • Left-hand dominant: He might as well tie his right hand behind his back considering how little he uses it—there are some passes he can’t make since he relies on his left hand so much.
  • Limited athlete who lacks burst and bounce, which hinders his finishing ability, especially since he rarely uses his right hand.
  • Lacks an advanced handle. Picks up his dribble too often, which gets him into trouble. He’s shifty but doesn’t create a ton of separation and doesn’t string together advanced moves to break down defenses.
  • Experiences lapses on defense, missing rotations and falling out of his on-ball stance.
  • He needs to be more vocal as a lead guard to take better command of the team.
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Killian Hayes 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:07 pm

Why Killian Hayes Is the 2020 NBA Draft’s Top Prospect

One prospect checks more boxes than all others. Who can shoot? Who can generate space off the dribble? Who has a feel for the game? Who makes his teammates better? Who can defend? Who conjures memories of All-Stars? It’s the best prospect in the 2020 NBA draft: Killian Hayes.

In a league where perimeter shooting, playmaking, and defensive versatility are at a premium, Hayes is my top-ranked prospect in this year’s class. While playing last season in Germany for Ratiopharm Ulm, Hayes showed skill beyond his years, taking stepbacks, side steps, and fearless pull-up jumpers. Most NBA players, let alone teenagers, don’t possess the type of footwork required to attempt such complex moves, but Hayes is ahead of the curve.

The 6-foot-5 guard has a diverse repertoire, too. While averaging 11.6 points and 5.3 assists last season, Hayes did most of his damage in the paint, displaying a soft touch on floaters, runners, and layups. With long arms and a strong, 215-pound frame, Hayes has an ideal build to penetrate the defense and score through contact.

Playmaking might actually be Hayes’s best strength right now, though. There’s a lot to like about Hayes, with his playmaking, scoring, and defensive ability at such a young age. But he’s not a no-brainer superstar prospect like Luka Doncic or Zion Williamson in recent years.
The Ringer
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#3 » by kg01 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:24 pm

Thanks @j'mallo. I take back the horrid things I say about you ... well most of them.

I like this kid for us. He and Haliburton. Would've been good to have the team able to pit them against each other in a workout.
king01 :king:
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#4 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:If you're taking requests, I'd like to see some intel on points 'n posts. I think that's the direction we should be going in.

Thoughts on my guy Killian Hayes? He and Haliburton are intriguing to me.

CP War Hawks wrote:Killian Hayes might be the best ball handler among the top 7 prospects. That alone makes him on my shortlist.

The Ringer (which always runs one of the most in-depth draft scouting efforts each year) has named Hayes as the #1 prospect in this year's draft.

KILLIAN HAYES
Guard, Ulm / France

Dynamic left-handed shot maker who’s made rapid progress at age 18, though he’s raw in some technical areas.
Shades Of: D’Angelo Russell, Manu Ginobili
Age------------18.7
Wingspan-----6'8.25''
Height--------6'5''
Weight--------215

PLUSES
  • Playmaking is his best skill. He can whip passes off the dribble with accuracy and hit cutters or rollers with precision.
  • Creative pick-and-roll facilitator. Despite his weak right hand, he gets where he wants and knows how to manipulate defenses to create passing angles and openings to score.
  • Fluid ball handler with the size to outmuscle smaller guards.
  • Excellent touch with his left hand finishing difficult floaters and runners, often after initiating contact.
  • Displays major potential as an off-the-dribble 3-point shooter with Hardenesque moves. Added a stepback and sidestep 3 to his arsenal and uses hesitations to get into pull-ups.
  • His catch-and-shoot shooting numbers are concerning, but he has smooth form, a soft touch inside, and a free throw percentage over 80—all of which suggest he’ll figure it out.
  • Tall, with a strong frame and long arms, making him a projectably versatile defender against guards and wings.
  • Active off-ball menace who could develop into a disruptive defensive helper.

MINUSES
  • Left-hand dominant: He might as well tie his right hand behind his back considering how little he uses it—there are some passes he can’t make since he relies on his left hand so much.
  • Limited athlete who lacks burst and bounce, which hinders his finishing ability, especially since he rarely uses his right hand.
  • Lacks an advanced handle. Picks up his dribble too often, which gets him into trouble. He’s shifty but doesn’t create a ton of separation and doesn’t string together advanced moves to break down defenses.
  • Experiences lapses on defense, missing rotations and falling out of his on-ball stance.
  • He needs to be more vocal as a lead guard to take better command of the team.
The Ringer

I noticed some Ginobili like qualities especially since they are both 6-5 and both very left hand dominant.
"Active off-ball menace who could develop into a disruptive defensive helper."
On ball defense seems okay, but his off ball defense is up there. Not many Hawks have that quality outside of Bembry/Reddish, it's much needed alongside Trae.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 5, 2020 11:24 pm

Read on Twitter
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#6 » by CP War Hawks » Wed May 6, 2020 12:37 pm

Starting to see some parallels to Goran Dragic. His main weaknesses can be improved. I can see him backing up Trae 1st year and overtaking Huerter for the 2 guard at some point. I need to see the measurements to project his defensive ceiling. You ultimately take him if you think he coexists with Trae.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#7 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu May 7, 2020 12:55 pm

He has a god awful jump shot and he is not special athletically or IQ wise. He is Frank Ntilikina 2.0. He is a 2nd round talent that might be a decent bench guy down the road.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 8, 2020 11:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 9, 2020 5:04 pm

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#10 » by King Ken » Tue May 12, 2020 3:28 am

I really like Hayes, I just don't think he's as good as the draftniks think but I tend to be higher on him than the NBA scouts/GMs tend to be.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 13, 2020 12:43 am

2020 NBA Draft Big Board

1. Killian Hayes, G, 6’6, ratiopharm Ulm, 18 years old

Generally the top player in a given class has some sort of superstar upside. From Zion Williamson to even Andrew Wiggins, you’d usually say that the potential top pick has the capability of becoming one of the 10-15 best players in the NBA. That probably isn’t true of Hayes, but it’s just as unlikely to be true for anyone else in this draft, and his intersection of size, playmaking, shooting touch, and defensive instincts makes him an obvious bet to be at least very good, which is enough for this draft.
Dime
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#12 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 am

King Ken wrote:I really like Hayes, I just don't think he's as good as the draftniks think but I tend to be higher on him than the NBA scouts/GMs tend to be.

Me too. I don't understand the overhype. Kill reminds me of Exum and Frank Ntilikina, no jumpshot and overhyped. I can't remember every a poor shooting euro PG who succeeded in the NBA. Even Rubio has been below average throughout his whole career.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 13, 2020 11:02 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 pm

2020 NBA Draft: Every lottery team’s biggest need and potential fits

Atlanta Hawks

Biggest need: Secondary creator

Players to target: LaMelo Ball, Killian Hayes, Deni Avdija

Trae Young is a special offensive talent, but if the Atlanta Hawks can find a secondary playmaker to help take part in the facilitating burden off of his shoulders, it could take their offense to the next level.

Young already plays a poor man’s version of Stephen Curry‘s game (I mean that as a compliment), and having someone else on the floor with him who can run the offense could allow them to use Young in creative ways similar to the all the different ways Steve Kerr uses Curry.

Players around the league often say that Curry is most dangerous without the ball. And because the Warriors have had players like Andre Iguodala and Draymond Green who are capable of facilitating at a high level, they’ve been able to run Curry all over the floor away from the ball and his shooting gravity opens up opportunities for everyone on the court. The Hawks have a chance to build a similar system with Trae Young.

The Hawks certainly have issues on the defensive end, but with all the talented playmakers in this draft, it would be a mistake to not pick one up to develop alongside the rest of their talented young core.
Sir Charles in Charge
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 31, 2020 4:28 pm

Killian Hayes | Point Guard | Ratiopharm Ulm

Analyzing the top international prospect of the 2020 NBA Draft Class

Measurements
Height: 6’5’’
Weight: 215 lbs
Wingspan: 6’8’’
DOB: 7/27/2001

Stats (33 GP)
Per Game: 11.6 PPG/2.8 RPG/5.4 APG/1.5 SPG/0.3 BPG
Per 36: 16.8 PPG/4.1 RPG/7.8 APG/2.1 SPG/0.4 BPG
Shooting Splits: .482 FG%/.294 3P%/.876 FT%

Offense
Though Killian Hayes won’t celebrate his 19th birthday for another two months, he is one of the most polished offensive prospects in the 2020 Draft Class. The French point guard impressed scouts with his poise as a full-time starter for Ratiopharm Ulm during his first season in the Bundesliga, and his success playing alongside seasoned veterans in a top tier European league left few questions about his ability to transition to the NBA.

...you’d be hardpressed to find another facilitator with this level of vision and IQ at such a young age, especially in the pick-and-roll. Hayes can find the open man from all areas of the court, and while the accuracy isn’t always there, his proficient live-dribble passing is a unique skill shared by few of his peers. Cutting down on risky passes will be essential moving forward, and improving and incorporating his right hand should decrease turnovers created by forcing the ball into windows that aren’t available.

Spoiler:
Despite a solid grasp of the game as a distributor, Killian fails to match that creativity as a ballhandler. Right now, his dribbling package is limited to simple crosses, hesitations, and in-and-outs, and he isn’t someone who looks to break down his defender with a series of combination dribbles. His pronounced lefthandedness can make him predictable, but aiming for ambidexterity will only increase his effectiveness.

When it comes to putting points on the board, Hayes has flashed potential as both a finisher and a shooter. Although he lacks the explosiveness to play above the rim, Killian makes up for his athletic shortcomings with length, touch, body control, and deceptive change of direction. Low release concerns notwithstanding, the 18-year-old has exhibited a quick and repeatable shooting motion that hints at some catch-and-shoot capabilities. He even utilized a Hardenesque step-back jumper as part of his scoring repertoire.

Adding muscle, refining his handle, and growing as a decision-maker should be at the top of his to-do-list, but if he can shore things up in those departments, Killian has the talent to become an All-Star caliber playmaker. He won’t be leading anyone to an NBA championship in year one, and that’s perfectly okay. Still, the luck lottery team who selects him on draft night will be adding a league-ready building block to their core.
Defense
Spoiler:
Atlanta’s defense was undoubtedly their greatest vulnerability this season, and opposing offenses regularly capitalized on their inability to protect the perimeter. A fair share of the blame falls upon faulty defenders receiving substantial minutes, and though Hayes won’t solve all their problems, he’s an upgrade over Bryn Forbes and Marco Belinelli.

Unlike many of the prospects covered in recent weeks, Killian doesn’t project as an elite stopper in any aspect. While the young Frenchman doesn’t hang his hate on the defensive end, his height and frame should grant him the versatility to competently guards ones, twos, and smaller threes.

For the most part, Hayes is a reliable team defender. He consistently positions himself to appropriately tag cutters and rollers, and this is often highlighted by his strong pick-and-roll coverage. His awareness and effort wane on occasion, and he will need to do a better job of navigating screens and avoiding ball-watching when he arrives in the NBA.

He also tends to sag off his man too much, which leads to weak closeouts, late contests, and open looks from the perimeter. His man-to-man defense is steadier, but a combination of average athleticism and heavy feet can allow quicker guards easy lanes to the basket when he takes poor angles or fails to get into a proper defensive stance.
Killian is an unlikely candidate to blossom into a lockdown defender, though his switchability, fundamentals, and defensive IQ should make him a useful asset on this end of the floor. Best of all, contrary to a couple of current Spurs, Hayes doesn’t figure to become an unmitigated liability, and that in of itself should be enticing...

Player Comparison: D’Angelo Russell
Every prospect is unique in their own right, and while perfect one-to-one professional parallels don’t exist, player comparisons can help identify what incoming rookies bring to the table. A handful of media outlets have likened Killian Hayes to Spencer Dinwiddie and beloved Spurs retiree Manu Ginobili, though I believe stacks up quite favorably to D’Angelo Russell.

Spoiler:
Both playmakers are tall left-handed point guards with exceptional court vision who operate below the rim and make the most of their shiftiness and feel for the game. D-Lo may be the better shooter, scorer, and ballhandler, but Hayes possesses the tools necessary to reach a similar ceiling. And his penchant for making tough shots off the bounce is particularly reminiscent of the Minnesota Timberwolves’ All-Star.
Spurs -- SB Nation
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#16 » by Spud2nique » Sun May 31, 2020 4:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Killian Hayes | Point Guard | Ratiopharm Ulm

Analyzing the top international prospect of the 2020 NBA Draft Class

Measurements
Height: 6’5’’
Weight: 215 lbs
Wingspan: 6’8’’
DOB: 7/27/2001

Stats (33 GP)
Per Game: 11.6 PPG/2.8 RPG/5.4 APG/1.5 SPG/0.3 BPG
Per 36: 16.8 PPG/4.1 RPG/7.8 APG/2.1 SPG/0.4 BPG
Shooting Splits: .482 FG%/.294 3P%/.876 FT%

Offense
Though Killian Hayes won’t celebrate his 19th birthday for another two months, he is one of the most polished offensive prospects in the 2020 Draft Class. The French point guard impressed scouts with his poise as a full-time starter for Ratiopharm Ulm during his first season in the Bundesliga, and his success playing alongside seasoned veterans in a top tier European league left few questions about his ability to transition to the NBA.

...you’d be hardpressed to find another facilitator with this level of vision and IQ at such a young age, especially in the pick-and-roll. Hayes can find the open man from all areas of the court, and while the accuracy isn’t always there, his proficient live-dribble passing is a unique skill shared by few of his peers. Cutting down on risky passes will be essential moving forward, and improving and incorporating his right hand should decrease turnovers created by forcing the ball into windows that aren’t available.

Spoiler:
Despite a solid grasp of the game as a distributor, Killian fails to match that creativity as a ballhandler. Right now, his dribbling package is limited to simple crosses, hesitations, and in-and-outs, and he isn’t someone who looks to break down his defender with a series of combination dribbles. His pronounced lefthandedness can make him predictable, but aiming for ambidexterity will only increase his effectiveness.

When it comes to putting points on the board, Hayes has flashed potential as both a finisher and a shooter. Although he lacks the explosiveness to play above the rim, Killian makes up for his athletic shortcomings with length, touch, body control, and deceptive change of direction. Low release concerns notwithstanding, the 18-year-old has exhibited a quick and repeatable shooting motion that hints at some catch-and-shoot capabilities. He even utilized a Hardenesque step-back jumper as part of his scoring repertoire.

Adding muscle, refining his handle, and growing as a decision-maker should be at the top of his to-do-list, but if he can shore things up in those departments, Killian has the talent to become an All-Star caliber playmaker. He won’t be leading anyone to an NBA championship in year one, and that’s perfectly okay. Still, the luck lottery team who selects him on draft night will be adding a league-ready building block to their core.
Defense
Spoiler:
Atlanta’s defense was undoubtedly their greatest vulnerability this season, and opposing offenses regularly capitalized on their inability to protect the perimeter. A fair share of the blame falls upon faulty defenders receiving substantial minutes, and though Hayes won’t solve all their problems, he’s an upgrade over Bryn Forbes and Marco Belinelli.

Unlike many of the prospects covered in recent weeks, Killian doesn’t project as an elite stopper in any aspect. While the young Frenchman doesn’t hang his hate on the defensive end, his height and frame should grant him the versatility to competently guards ones, twos, and smaller threes.

For the most part, Hayes is a reliable team defender. He consistently positions himself to appropriately tag cutters and rollers, and this is often highlighted by his strong pick-and-roll coverage. His awareness and effort wane on occasion, and he will need to do a better job of navigating screens and avoiding ball-watching when he arrives in the NBA.

He also tends to sag off his man too much, which leads to weak closeouts, late contests, and open looks from the perimeter. His man-to-man defense is steadier, but a combination of average athleticism and heavy feet can allow quicker guards easy lanes to the basket when he takes poor angles or fails to get into a proper defensive stance.
Killian is an unlikely candidate to blossom into a lockdown defender, though his switchability, fundamentals, and defensive IQ should make him a useful asset on this end of the floor. Best of all, contrary to a couple of current Spurs, Hayes doesn’t figure to become an unmitigated liability, and that in of itself should be enticing...

Player Comparison: D’Angelo Russell
Every prospect is unique in their own right, and while perfect one-to-one professional parallels don’t exist, player comparisons can help identify what incoming rookies bring to the table. A handful of media outlets have likened Killian Hayes to Spencer Dinwiddie and beloved Spurs retiree Manu Ginobili, though I believe stacks up quite favorably to D’Angelo Russell.

Spoiler:
Both playmakers are tall left-handed point guards with exceptional court vision who operate below the rim and make the most of their shiftiness and feel for the game. D-Lo may be the better shooter, scorer, and ballhandler, but Hayes possesses the tools necessary to reach a similar ceiling. And his penchant for making tough shots off the bounce is particularly reminiscent of the Minnesota Timberwolves’ All-Star.
Spurs -- SB Nation

When his comparison is DLo, am I supposed to like that?
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#17 » by a-French-Fan » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:39 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
King Ken wrote:I really like Hayes, I just don't think he's as good as the draftniks think but I tend to be higher on him than the NBA scouts/GMs tend to be.

Me too. I don't understand the overhype. Kill reminds me of Exum and Frank Ntilikina, no jumpshot and overhyped. I can't remember every a poor shooting euro PG who succeeded in the NBA. Even Rubio has been below average throughout his whole career.

I really like Ntilikina (actually I really like how 3 french prospects point guards for Paris 2024 are such different profiles but could really be well associated), but I don't remind him when I see Hayes. First of all, Ntilikina is more euroleague player than NBA player, he could only play very well for few NBA teams, and unfortunately he plays for the Knicks. Hayes fit so much more for NBA game, you don't take the same risk that Knicks did with Ntilikina if you pick him.

He reminds you Exum? Please, don't be so negative ^^
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Is Killian Hayes the next great high-usage NBA point guard?

Killian Hayes is the kind of point guard prospect that NBA organizations will want to target in the 2020 NBA Draft.

He is a 6-foot-5 point guard that can read defenses out of pick-and-rolls, that can create space with his dribble, that can shoot it off the bounce and that can make shots at all three levels.

Hayes has a tremendous basketball IQ. When it comes to his ability to read a defense out of ball-screens and pick out the right pass, he’s elite. He can find shooters on the weak side of the floor. He can throw pocket passes to rolling bigs. He can attack switches, and he has shown the ability to be a three-level scorer off the bounce.

But there are issues that make me wonder how well his game will translate moving up a level.

For starters, Hayes is extremely left-hand dominant, and it limits him in all facets of his game. He struggles to get to the rim going to his right. When he does, he often has to bring the ball back to his left-hand to get a shot up. He throw passes with his left hand when moving to his right. He far too often kills his dribble when going right. Some of this seems to be a lack of confidence and comfort with his off-hand, and that can be improved, but it is unquestionably an issue right now.

While Hayes does have the size to see over a defense and overpower smaller guards, he’s also not the quickest or most explosive athlete. He does have a bit of guile finishing around the basket going left, and his float-game is coming along well, but I do wonder how effective he will be as a creator in the NBA if he cannot develop that right hand. He’s not a guy that can win when NBA defenders know what’s coming.

[His] inability to shoot off the catch tells me that Hayes has a long way to go until he can play off the ball. The fact that he is somewhat limited as a driver, and struggles going to his right, tells me that he won’t be as effective playing on the ball in the NBA as he was in Germany, as least not right away.

Will Hayes eventually be good enough to be a ball-dominant, high-usage lead guard in the best league in the world?
NBCSports.com
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#19 » by Spud2nique » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:34 pm

He’s got a Jalen Brunson thing going on. I don’t think Killian is right for us, not when we have Trae. I’d still consider Lamelo but not Killian. LaMelo makes plays happen quick he doesn’t need the ball in his hands for long periods of time, quick spurts works. Hayes seems like a ball dominant prospect. I’d pass.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks