40 year Jordan outplaying prime Vince Carter

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,449

Re: 40 year Jordan outplaying prime Vince Carter 

Post#21 » by Birth of the Cool » Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 pm

and....this documentary got people on their knees again...

One game which VC even played pretty good and Jordan was inefficient shows what again?

Ok I guess this means VC owns LeBron since a 40-year old VC outplayed Lebron in a 109-95 win of the Kings over the Cavs.
VC: 10-12 from the field for 24 pts / 5 rebounds / 3 assists / 1 steal / 1 block
LeBron: 6-17 from the field for 16 pts / 10 rebounds / 14 assists / 6 steals
(or maybe one game doesn't really mean anything and a 40-year VC is not comparable to LeBron in any way.....)

The4thHorseman
General Manager
And1: 4,510

Post#22 » by The4thHorseman » Fri May 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:At this point with all the sarcastic quips and pot-shots, Wizards Jordan actually seems to be pretty underrated. Like yeah, no **** he was "way past his prime" when his prime was literally the closest thing to a perfect basketball player. He was still a 38-40 year old putting up good volume numbers, being a clear net positive (+3.1 and +2.8 on/off) and almost dragging an absolute garbage roster to the playoffs in both seasons. Seems like people just blindly stare at "but True Shooting Percentagezzzz" and falsely believe that he was 2014-16 Kobe or something.

2002 he avg. 23ppg on 22FGA

2003 was 20ppg on 18FGA

You really can't compare MJ to any other players around the same age due to MJ quitting the league twice before his Wizards stint. He didnt have near the milage Kobe had when referring to 14-16
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#23 » by Ron Swanson » Fri May 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Ah yes, the "it's unfair to compare actual ages so let's compare him to guys 4 years younger because mileage" argument. Unfortunately that's not how age and the concept of time work. Yes, Jordan was way past his prime and most likely not even a Top-15 player anymore, but outside of Kareem and Malone I don't think you could make the case that any 39-year old was.
trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,158

Post#24 » by trueballer7 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:09 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:At this point with all the sarcastic quips and pot-shots, Wizards Jordan actually seems to be pretty underrated. Like yeah, no **** he was "way past his prime" when his prime was literally the closest thing to a perfect basketball player. He was still a 38-40 year old putting up good volume numbers, being a clear net positive (+3.1 and +2.8 on/off) and almost dragging an absolute garbage roster to the playoffs in both seasons. Seems like people just blindly stare at "but True Shooting Percentagezzzz" and falsely believe that he was 2014-16 Kobe or something.

2002 he avg. 23ppg on 22FGA

2003 was 20ppg on 18FGA

You really can't compare MJ to any other players around the same age due to MJ quitting the league twice before his Wizards stint. He didnt have near the milage Kobe had when referring to 14-16

Jordan had the same amount of mileage as Kobe, which is zero, because neither of them was an automobile. Human cells regenerate and for the most part, long prosperous athletic careers, especially in team sports, are based on consistent training and competing instead of letting your body decondition and your skills fade.
Now, if its boxing, well perhaps then we can talk about less fights and less sparring being benecifial to longevity. But you get punched in boxing
The4thHorseman
General Manager
And1: 4,510

Post#25 » by The4thHorseman » Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Ah yes, the "it's unfair to compare actual ages so let's compare him to guys 4 years younger because mileage" argument. Unfortunately that's not how age and the concept of time work. Yes, Jordan was way past his prime and most likely not even a Top-15 player anymore, but outside of Kareem and Malone I don't think you could make the case that any 39-year old was.

It's not that hard to understand that playing a full NBA season, plus postseason is much more grueling, with wear and tear on ones body compared to not playing at all. MJ said himself after 93 and 98 that he was mentally and physically spent.

No chance he plays till he's 39 or 40 if he never walked away those 2 different times.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#26 » by reapaman » Fri May 22, 2020 7:25 pm

I though that everyone agreed that Wizard's MJ never happened and we will never mention it again.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#27 » by yitur » Fri May 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Wow, after achilles Kobe is considered to be the same thing as Jordan's 3rd stint.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,081

Post#28 » by axeman23 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:27 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Ah yes, the "it's unfair to compare actual ages so let's compare him to guys 4 years younger because mileage" argument. Unfortunately that's not how age and the concept of time work. Yes, Jordan was way past his prime and most likely not even a Top-15 player anymore, but outside of Kareem and Malone I don't think you could make the case that any 39-year old was.

Nobody forced MJ to come back, other than his own ego refusing to go gracefully into the night and let the new guys shine. He had his rings, his accomplishment, his money. Neither of those squads was going to do anything to enhance his legacy. What was the point? Just to jump up and down saying: "I'm still here, guys! Look at me!" Same with The Last Dance and it's "interesting" start date, right after the Cavs beat the Warriors...
MJ2Rose
Junior
And1: 274

Post#29 » by MJ2Rose » Sat May 23, 2020 3:21 am

axeman23 wrote:

Nobody forced MJ to come back, other than his own ego refusing to go gracefully into the night and let the new guys shine. He had his rings, his accomplishment, his money. Neither of those squads was going to do anything to enhance his legacy. What was the point? Just to jump up and down saying: "I'm still here, guys! Look at me!" Same with The Last Dance and it's "interesting" start date, right after the Cavs beat the Warriors...

I think it was more boredom and his love of basketball and competitive drive.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#30 » by logical_art » Sat May 23, 2020 3:33 am

Anyone who doubts whether or not Jordan could compete against todays athletes really doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. He's one of the best athletes that's every played the game. According to Jerry West, he's the best athlete in the history of basketball.

His quickness, speed, vertical and perhaps most impressively body control are all in the top 99th percentile at his position
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,240

Post#31 » by rapstarter » Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 am

MJ was far more athletic than Andrew Wiggins who is considered one of the most athletic 2s to come out in last several years. How anyone can watch MJ and think he didn't have the athleticism to compete today is beyond me.
MoochieNorris
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,443

Post#32 » by MoochieNorris » Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am

Jordan Stopper wrote:Prime MJ never scored 40 in a half though...

i love the story behind this game(and i'm a major mike stan).

the previous time they faced off, kobe was wearing jordans and mike said something like "you can wear the shoes, but you'll never fill them".
this pissed kobe off. a lot. he had to get him. this was such a pure moment in sports. last time ever they faced off and kobe let him know who's league it was now.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,081

Post#33 » by axeman23 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:08 am

MJ2Rose wrote:
axeman23 wrote:

I think it was more boredom and his love of basketball and competitive drive.

"Love of basketball", he doesn't retire twice and come back. "Competitive drive", sure. And that drive wouldn't allow for people talking about the young up-and-coming stars of the day, nor about Lebron and the Cavs beating the 73-9 Warriors. He could've left the game after either 3-peat, DEFINATELY the 2nd, and gone out absolutely on top of the world. First rule of show business: "Always leave them wanting more!" MJ left people wanting to forget those Wizards years, and he done it to himself...

Return to The General Board