ImageImageImage

Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#241 » by 76ciology » Thu May 21, 2020 4:32 pm

kuclas wrote:Look at this YouTube highlight. Mainly pre 1st retirement Jordan showing his elite quickness. Look at the first step. Jordan is in traffic all the time and still able to consistently beat double teams. No chance players of today can defense Jordan without significant help defenders.

Hard to say.

If i run beside a slow guy, i will look fast.
If i run beside usain bolt, i will look like crawling

Whats undeniable is the talent level, athleticism and length has been on it’s upward trend since the beginning of time
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#242 » by youngcrev » Thu May 21, 2020 5:46 pm

76ciology wrote:
kuclas wrote:Look at this YouTube highlight. Mainly pre 1st retirement Jordan showing his elite quickness. Look at the first step. Jordan is in traffic all the time and still able to consistently beat double teams. No chance players of today can defense Jordan without significant help defenders.

Hard to say.

Whats undeniable is the talent level, athleticism and length has been on it’s upward trend since the beginning of time

I mean... in corona terms, I'd say that undeniable curve has definitely flattened out quite a bit from the early days. Similar to football, I think changes to the rules have changed the athletic archetype of today's game vs say the 90s. It's a far less physical game now than it was, with a bigger onus on skill, quickness and length. Rule changes have basically killed off the center position, and frontcourt players have shifted up a position. Today's PFs were yesterdays tweeners. And it's not like guys like Curry, Doncic, and Harden are getting by with their superior athleticism.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Post#243 » by elchengue20 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:01 pm

kuclas wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Jordan didn't face a lot of great defenders in the 90's.

Igoudala, Shawn Marion, Tayshaun Prince, Paul George and young Khawi Leonard are way better one on one wing defenders than anyone MJ faced.

I think the only great defense he faced was the Detroit Pistons team defense which was like the 2008-2010 Celtics team defense.

Seriously. No way any of iggy, prince, George , and evening Leonard can defense Jordan 1:1 in open space.

How old are you? Like i said. Any poster born after 1980 probably doesn’t have a good idea how quick Jordan was.

And Jordan was deadly iso. Put Leonard our on island with Jordan 20 feet from the basket. I’d put my money on Jordan. Go ahead. Give Leonard help defense secondary switch defender after Jordan blow by Leonard. Rotating help defender leave Horace Grant wide open for dunk or John Paxton for easy wide open 3 pointer.

Paul George was zero chance vs Jordan in open space.

And there were good defenders in the 1990s. But Jordan has height advantage of smaller John Starks. Gary Payton became more effective against Jordan in the later years of Jordan career.

But comparing Jordan 1987-1993. Forget it. Only the pistons slowed Jordan down and he figured out the pistons by 1990.

Why you get so defensive? I'm not saying any of those players could completly shut down Jordan, he's the best 1vs1 scorer of all time, but for sure they could make his life harder than the defenders of his era. In a 7 game series that matters, a lot.

If i'm wrong, i invite you to name better wing defenders in the 90's, because John Starks and Gary Payton were point guards. They could guard Jordan for moments but thats like expecting Patrick Beverly to guard Leonard, LBJ or Kobe for an entire series, he will get destroyed sooner than later.

Why you only talk about 1987-1993 Jordan? He won half of his championships when he was past his athletic prime.

Also by 1990's rules playing 1vs1 basketball was easier, that isn't the case anymore.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#244 » by kuclas » Thu May 21, 2020 7:39 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
kuclas wrote:

Igoudala, Shawn Marion, Tayshaun Prince, Paul George and young Khawi Leonard are way better one on one wing defenders than anyone MJ faced.

I think the only great defense he faced was the Detroit Pistons team defense which was like the 2008-2010 Celtics team defense.

Seriously. No way any of iggy, prince, George , and evening Leonard can defense Jordan 1:1 in open space.

How old are you? Like i said. Any poster born after 1980 probably doesn’t have a good idea how quick Jordan was.

And Jordan was deadly iso. Put Leonard our on island with Jordan 20 feet from the basket. I’d put my money on Jordan. Go ahead. Give Leonard help defense secondary switch defender after Jordan blow by Leonard. Rotating help defender leave Horace Grant wide open for dunk or John Paxton for easy wide open 3 pointer.

And there were good defenders in the 1990s. But Jordan has height advantage of smaller John Starks. Gary Payton became more effective against Jordan in the later years of Jordan career.

But comparing Jordan 1987-1993. Forget it. Only the pistons slowed Jordan down and he figured out the pistons by 1990.

Why you get so defensive? I'm not saying any of those players could completly shut down Jordan, he's the best 1vs1 scorer of all time, but for sure they could make his life harder than the defenders of his era. In a 7 game series that matters, a lot.

If i'm wrong, i invite you to name better wing defenders in the 90's, because John Starks and Gary Payton were point guards. They could guard Jordan for moments but thats like expecting Patrick Beverly to guard Leonard, LBJ or Kobe for an entire series, he will get destroyed sooner than later.

Why you only talk about 1987-1993 Jordan? He won half of his championships when he was past his athletic prime.

Also by 1990's rules playing 1vs1 basketball was easier, that isn't the case anymore.

The reason I mention 1987-1993 Jordan is because it’s age 24-30 Jordan era. His peak athletic age.

So we have to compare age 24-30 year old Paul George, Leonard, and other wings.

We all make fun of LeBron James defense these past few years but LeBron was a really good defender in his earlier days. So do we remember LeBron awesome defensive talents these days? Nope. We forgot he actually used to be a great defender.

So remember Jordan when he was elite athletic peak PLUS winning titles.

So if we think Leonard and George can guard Jordan. Can they guard similar age Jordan (age 24-30) because Leonard and George are ages 27/29 (Soo to be 28/30). Those are more apples to apples comparison.

As for wings in the late 1980s and early 1990s. You are right there weren’t many that were both Jordan height and similar athletic skills. So Jordan was ahead of his time with that view point. Most similar shooting guards were either too shot or not as athletic as Jordan. Sixers has hersey Hawkins who was 6 foot 3. And Hawkins was a good defense. But giving up 3 inches to Jordan was too much. But same thing can be said about LeBron. There isn’t anyone around to guard a 6 8 270 pound freight train. LeBron has a physical advantage over almost anyone who guards him similar to Jordan. Put a taller/strong guy on LeBron. He blows by. Put a smaller quicker guy on LeBron he will bull doze them. Elite legs ca players almost always have some type of physical advantage over their opponents. In a way. That’s why Steph Curry appeals to the young generation cause he doesn’t possess any elite physical traits. He’s pretty good ball handler but not isiah Thomas (pistons) quick. He’s not tall. Same with James harden. He’s not super quick. He just has great body control.

But Jordan played in era with more dominant 2 way centers. Centers who camped out in the interior and protected the rim.

The lane was much closed. unlike today. So with open lane to create offense. Jordan can easily average 40 plus points no issue in today’s era. I just have a hard time seeing defenders even with today’s length and similar athleticism being able to stay with Jordan’s first time. He beats you with his first step. It’s over. And we all know give him space he nails down the forgotten mid range with even more efficiency that the stats today claim to go for 3 points.

How many times did we ever see Jordan turnaround/fade-away. How do you defend that? You can’t.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#245 » by Sixerscan » Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 pm

youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Hard to say.

I mean... in corona terms, I'd say that undeniable curve has definitely flattened out quite a bit from the early days. Similar to football, I think changes to the rules have changed the athletic archetype of today's game vs say the 90s. It's a far less physical game now than it was, with a bigger onus on skill, quickness and length. Rule changes have basically killed off the center position, and frontcourt players have shifted up a position. Today's PFs were yesterdays tweeners. And it's not like guys like Curry, Doncic, and Harden are getting by with their superior athleticism.

Rules have changed it but so has the three ball. Centers never used to have to sprint out and contest a 25 footer, Embiid does it like 15 times a game now.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#246 » by youngcrev » Thu May 21, 2020 9:39 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Hard to say.

Rules have changed it but so has the three ball. Centers never used to have to sprint out and contest a 25 footer, Embiid does it like 15 times a game now.

Chicken and the egg kind of thing, I guess. Would scheme even allow for that with illegal defense in place?

The removal of hand checking made life way easier on guards to get wherever they want to go on the floor (also has made step backs and off the dribble shots much easier). The removal of illegal defense made it a lot easier for teams to double. So to combat that you spread the floor out to make teams pay for doubling. And to combat teams focus more on lengthy, quick players that can cover the floor quickly. And it seems like teams keep doubling down with both of these approaches.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#247 » by Sixerscan » Fri May 22, 2020 2:40 am

youngcrev wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Chicken and the egg kind of thing, I guess. Would scheme even allow for that with illegal defense in place?

The removal of hand checking made life way easier on guards to get wherever they want to go on the floor (also has made step backs and off the dribble shots much easier). The removal of illegal defense made it a lot easier for teams to double. So to combat that you spread the floor out to make teams pay for doubling. And to combat teams focus more on lengthy, quick players that can cover the floor quickly. And it seems like teams keep doubling down with both of these approaches.

Yeah I agree with that being the evolution, but you could still double or contest in the old days and it be legal defense, you just had to actually hard commit to covering your new man (or else it was a zone). Like this was perfectly legal defense:

Maybe I'm just looking at the past with 20/20 vision but I feel like someone would have eventually figured out the three point volume thing and make up creative ways to force defenses to scramble (maybe not as much though).
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#248 » by Simmons25 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:12 am

elchengue20 wrote:
kuclas wrote:

Not really taking into account the defenders Jordan had that are non-existent today and that's the bigs in the paint. The Ewing's, Shaqs,Motumbos that just camped in the paint all day long and made it difficult to get to the basket.

In today's NBA he would rely less on jump shooting and would attack the basket. Lay off him and he would shoot a jumper in your grill... get up on him and he will drive right by you. He would be a better finishing Lebron with an infinitely better jumper.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Post#249 » by elchengue20 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 pm

kuclas wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:
kuclas wrote:Seriously. No way any of iggy, prince, George , and evening Leonard can defense Jordan 1:1 in open space.

The reason I mention 1987-1993 Jordan is because it’s age 24-30 Jordan era. His peak athletic age.

We all make fun of LeBron James defense these past few years but LeBron was a really good defender in his earlier days. So do we remember LeBron awesome defensive talents these days? Nope. We forgot he actually used to be a great defender.

So if we think Leonard and George can guard Jordan. Can they guard similar age Jordan (age 24-30) because Leonard and George are ages 27/29 (Soo to be 28/30). Those are more apples to apples comparison.

As for wings in the late 1980s and early 1990s. You are right there weren’t many that were both Jordan height and similar athletic skills. So Jordan was ahead of his time with that view point. Most similar shooting guards were either too shot or not as athletic as Jordan. Sixers has hersey Hawkins who was 6 foot 3. And Hawkins was a good defense. But giving up 3 inches to Jordan was too much. But same thing can be said about LeBron. There isn’t anyone around to guard a 6 8 270 pound freight train. LeBron has a physical advantage over almost anyone who guards him similar to Jordan. Put a taller/strong guy on LeBron. He blows by. Put a smaller quicker guy on LeBron he will bull doze them. Elite legs ca players almost always have some type of physical advantage over their opponents.

That's my point, Jordan was too much from a physical standpoint in the 90's. That wouldn't be the case now. The game evolves.Still dominant, but a little bit more constested at least.

Also guys like Igoudala or Khawi are not that far from Lebron pyhisicaly like a John Starks or Payton vs Jordan.

The open lane argument has some truth to it, but let's not act like rim protection doesn't exist today. Lebron faced players like Tyson Chanlder and Tim Duncan in the Finals. Those teams packed the paint succesfully and forced him to shoot from the outside.
Even today, Lakers has Anthony Davis and McGee roaming the paint. The Bucks have Giannis and Lopez. Raptors have Gasol and Ibaka.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#250 » by kuclas » Sat May 23, 2020 2:05 am

elchengue20 wrote:
kuclas wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:

As for wings in the late 1980s and early 1990s. You are right there weren’t many that were both Jordan height and similar athletic skills. So Jordan was ahead of his time with that view point. Most similar shooting guards were either too shot or not as athletic as Jordan. Sixers has hersey Hawkins who was 6 foot 3. And Hawkins was a good defense. But giving up 3 inches to Jordan was too much. But same thing can be said about LeBron. There isn’t anyone around to guard a 6 8 270 pound freight train. LeBron has a physical advantage over almost anyone who guards him similar to Jordan. Put a taller/strong guy on LeBron. He blows by. Put a smaller quicker guy on LeBron he will bull doze them. Elite legs ca players almost always have some type of physical advantage over their opponents.

That's my point, Jordan was too much from a physical standpoint in the 90's. That wouldn't be the case now. The game evolves.Still dominant, but a little bit more constested at least.

Also guys like Igoudala or Khawi are not that far from Lebron pyhisicaly like a John Starks or Payton vs Jordan.

The open lane argument has some truth to it, but let's not act like rim protection doesn't exist today. Lebron faced players like Tyson Chanlder and Tim Duncan in the Finals. Those teams packed the paint succesfully and forced him to shoot from the outside.
Even today, Lakers has Anthony Davis and McGee roaming the paint. The Bucks have Giannis and Lopez. Raptors have Gasol and Ibaka.

The difference between Jordan and Lebron is
1. Jordan much better finisher at the rim than LeBron
2. Jordan much better jump shooter than LeBron.

That’s why Jordan was able to maneuver around bigs who packed the paint. He finished better at the rim. And if bigs really clogged the paint. Jordan went mid range. And we all know how deadly Jordan was mid range.

For those who said Jordan may not shoot 3 pointers Wells.

I’d point to 4 seasons I found on basketball reference where Jordan attempted more volume 3 pointers (2.9-3.6 attempts a game). The other seasons
1989-1990 38%
1992-1993 35%
1995-1996 43%
1996-1997 37%

And we all know Jordan was a very good free throw shooter which translates well to the modern day nba 3 point range. 10 of the season Jordan didn’t even attempt
More than 1 a game

So the 4 seasons Jordan attempted more volume. He’s basically Modern day Kevin Durant efficiency in terms of 3 pointers. I have zero doubt Jordan would average 38-39% 3 pointers on 5-6 attempts a game. Same as Durant average for those who think Jordan 3 point shooting would succeed in today’s nba.

Combine with Jordan getting to the foul line 8-10 times a game and the lane more open. He can average 40 a game if he wanted to.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#251 » by youngcrev » Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 pm

kuclas wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:
kuclas wrote:

The difference between Jordan and Lebron is
1. Jordan much better finisher at the rim than LeBron
2. Jordan much better jump shooter than LeBron.

That’s why Jordan was able to maneuver around bigs who packed the paint. He finished better at the rim. And if bigs really clogged the paint. Jordan went mid range. And we all know how deadly Jordan was mid range.

For those who said Jordan may not shoot 3 pointers Wells.

I’d point to 4 seasons I found on basketball reference where Jordan attempted more volume 3 pointers (2.9-3.6 attempts a game). The other seasons
1989-1990 38%
1992-1993 35%
1995-1996 43%
1996-1997 37%

And we all know Jordan was a very good free throw shooter which translates well to the modern day nba 3 point range. 10 of the season Jordan didn’t even attempt
More than 1 a game

So the 4 seasons Jordan attempted more volume. He’s basically Modern day Kevin Durant efficiency in terms of 3 pointers. I have zero doubt Jordan would average 38-39% 3 pointers on 5-6 attempts a game. Same as Durant average for those who think Jordan 3 point shooting would succeed in today’s nba.

Combine with Jordan getting to the foul line 8-10 times a game and the lane more open. He can average 40 a game if he wanted to.

It's worth noting that the 1994-95 season (where he shot 50% from 3) through the 1996-97 had a shorter 3 point line when looking at those numbers.

Regardless, I don't think it really matters. Maybe he'd be taking like 4 or 5 a game in this era, but I don't think I'd be trying to change his shot distribution that much. I'd want Jordan to be on the attack, and I think he'd view taking a bunch of 3s as settling. Let him implode defenses and kick out to better shooters.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#252 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Jordan would be guaranteed to score 45+ per game in the modern league. I wonder if he could get 50+ in a couple of seasons. With the three ball plus the wide open lanes, he'd be putting up impossible stats.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#253 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 23, 2020 3:41 pm

With the distribution of fame and spotlight in society these days, Jordan probably wouldn't get overwhelmed like he did in the 90s, either. Meaning he wouldn't have to walk away from the game. Meaning he'd probably win 3-4 more titles.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,634

Post#254 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun May 24, 2020 7:29 am

76ciology wrote:

Hard to say.

Not that hard to say, he's very obviously quicker, faster and more explosive than Kawhi, you can just compare how high Jordan got in traffic and how often he finished dunks over guys to someone like Kawhi. Now, he and Kawhi are essentially the same height (6'6 vs 6'7), except Jordan had a better mid-range shot and we saw how unstoppable Kawhi looked with his in between game. If NBA teams can't stop Kawhi, there's no doubt the 89-90 and 92-93 Jordan would be the absolute best player in the league by a very wide margin, he was actually making threes in those seasons at a decent volume and made almost 40% of them on 4 attempts per game in the playoffs in 92-93.

All that length and athleticism doesn't seem to stop the 6'3" Bradley Beal, who is smaller and less athletic than Jordan.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#255 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 28, 2020 3:08 pm

Kawhi is basically Jordan with clipped wings and no athleticism and he's still the single most unstoppable player going in the league right now. How can people doubt how dominant Jordan would be?
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#256 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Doesn't look like he lost a pound.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#257 » by eyeatoma » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:27 pm

Link?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#258 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:36 pm

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#259 » by eyeatoma » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Doesn't look like he lost a pound.

His face isn't as puffy. Mind you they never claimed he lost wait. Just that his conditioning was great.

ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#260 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:11 am

eyeatoma wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Doesn't look like he lost a pound.

His face isn't as puffy. Mind you they never claimed he lost wait. Just that his conditioning was great.

We'll see when its game time. Still disappointing that he and the organization can't get him to hit optimal playing weight, especially with this issue being directly in the spotlight for quite some time now.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers