NBA - The Re-Open: - Connaughton has Covid-19, pg. 94

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Re: NBA - The Re-Open: Discussion Thread 

Post#21 » by paulpressey25 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:09 pm

midranger wrote:I’d place the odds of this completely blowing up in the nba’s face and ending professional sports for the year at like 33%.

I'm not going to disagree with the assessment that this could blow up in the NBA's face. i.e. they'd get it going and then need to cancel.

However, I'm also in the camp that a safe and readily available vaccine could be a long, long ways off. As with pretty much every business in the world, the question is do you fold it up? Or do you figure out a path forward?

The NBA and their players comprehend that if they don't try to create a path forward (with known safeguards) that their business is done. And it isn't just the high paid stars like LeBron or Giannis, but think of lower tier guys like Sterling Brown, who probably has anywhere from 1-4 years left in the league before his skill set decline takes him out.

If any league is in a position to figure this out, it is the NBA. I'd like them to try.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#22 » by tski1972 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Dear NBA....

http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#23 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat May 23, 2020 5:25 pm

You guys know the virus can cause irreparable lung damage, right? Not every case will be “Ok, you’ve sat out the mandatory two weeks & now you’re back to 100%.” Everyone who plays is risking a Chris Bosh/Mirza Teletovic future.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#24 » by midranger » Sat May 23, 2020 5:34 pm

I actually think the nba is the least well equipped to deal with this. It’s indoor first of all. It’s the smallest court/field by far. Second, every guy is touching the same ball constantly. Third, the players are constantly within a foot of each other. There are no masks or helmets to shield any part of the face or mouth. Also, one guy has an outsized impact on the fate of a team.

The chance of transmission is incredible in basketball. Do you let it blow through every nba player and hope none die or has serious sequela? What about their families? Most of these guys are multimillionaires. Not sure they go for that.

I don’t know. I think if one guy gets it, it ends the whole thing. Because 1 guy with it is actually 10 guys with it, which is probably 100 guys with it.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,043

Post#25 » by MVP2110 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 pm

To people who say to cancel the season? Are you also saying cancel next season as well? Honestly curious because it seems like the NBA will be in roughly the same spot six months from now
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#26 » by midranger » Sat May 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Yup. Pandemics are bad.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,223

Post#27 » by MickeyDavis » Sat May 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Orlando it is
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#28 » by Nowak008 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:15 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I am so pumped for this. If there is an asterisk, it will be to note we were the champions of the craziest NBA playoffs ever. Neutral site, no-travel, condensed and intense pure basketball. I've seen accountant's league basketball games get intense, anyone saying Lebron Vs Giannis in a best of 7 to decide a ring wouldn't bring out intense competition is a liar.

The only way an asterisk will be apply is if a major player contracts covid and misses the playoffs. If everyone plays, no one one will say there should be an asterisk.

Even then there won't be an asterisk. The 2015 Warriors don't have an asterisk from beating the Cavs in 6 with Love and Kyrie injured.

They do in my book. And I've said this before, the Warriors knew they did too. That's why they went gang busters to start the next season. They were the rare champions that had real chip on their shoulder.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 469

Post#29 » by Ruben Quevedo » Sat May 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:You guys know the virus can cause irreparable lung damage, right? Not every case will be “Ok, you’ve sat out the mandatory two weeks & now you’re back to 100%.” Everyone who plays is risking a Chris Bosh/Mirza Teletovic future.

Everyone in the world is risking that every time someone goes to the grocery store.

Only these players will be constantly tested and quarantined as necessary and have immediate access to the best health care in the world.

In fact, due to the frequent mass testing they will do, that bubble might very well be the safest place they could possibly be. And unlike the alternative, they’ll be getting paid.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#30 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat May 23, 2020 8:27 pm

Definitely a false dichotomy but I would feel much safer playing basketball in a pandemic than playing in the NFL worrying about concussions.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#31 » by paulpressey25 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 pm

midranger wrote:I actually think the nba is the least well equipped to deal with this. .

From a human to human contact standpoint? Sure.

But at the same time you've got:

-Small team size (compared to MLB and NFL).

-Owners and players on the same page monetarily (versus baseball and likely football once the NFL players realize the payouts are coming also)

-Bubble location (versus MLB who evidently have their local TV networks dictating that their return has to be in the home parks, so lots of travel)

-A league that is really progressive (or socially woke). In other words, I don't see the NBA owners nor Silver pushing the line on something, if a health risk develops.

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#32 » by paulpressey25 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:35 pm

More on the Orlando discussion:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/23/sports/basketball/nba-disney-world-orlando.html

The N.B.A. is in the early stages of discussions with the Walt Disney Company to restart its suspended season in late July at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, a league spokesman said Saturday.

The restart, said Mike Bass, the spokesman, would be at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, which would act as “a single site for an N.BA. campus for games, practices and housing.” ESPN, which is owned by Disney, is a broadcast partner for the N.B.A.

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#33 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat May 23, 2020 8:36 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
midranger wrote:I actually think the nba is the least well equipped to deal with this. .

From a human to human contact standpoint? Sure.

But at the same time you've got:

-Small team size (compared to MLB and NFL).

-Owners and players on the same page monetarily (versus baseball and likely football once the NFL players realize the payouts are coming also)

-Bubble location (versus MLB who evidently have their local TV networks dictating that their return has to be in the home parks, so lots of travel)

-A league that is really progressive (or socially woke). In other words, I don't see the NBA owners nor Silver pushing the line on something, if a health risk develops.

I'm out of the loop on MLB, when do they plan on returning and are they cancelling some games? No way they can finish before the cold so how do you play in open Air stadiums?
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#34 » by Lippo » Sat May 23, 2020 8:45 pm

Put em all in worthy goggles and high tech masks, could even play on outdoor courts...
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#35 » by SkilesTheLimit » Sat May 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Let's play ball. It sounds like the NBA is taking every precaution and doing this in a well thought out way. Especially seeing as though the start date is likely 2 months away, it's time.

Let's get the chip.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#36 » by BucksFanSD » Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I'm out of the loop on MLB, when do they plan on returning and are they cancelling some games? No way they can finish before the cold so how do you play in open Air stadiums?

80 games, expanded playoffs. July 4th start.
12 Point Buck
Assistant Coach
And1: 183

Post#37 » by 12 Point Buck » Sat May 23, 2020 9:19 pm

The NBA must be real desperate if they want to do anything in Florida.. 2nd wave will be right around the corner and it will get shut down again. The end. Move on folks
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#38 » by emunney » Sat May 23, 2020 10:00 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Ita been 74 days since the Bucks played but it seems like

The first month felt like 20 years and the 2nd month felt like one long night.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#39 » by smauss » Sat May 23, 2020 10:22 pm

Sounds like they have a good plan. All involved should make the decision to be involved or not. Personally, I wouldn't wait for a vaccine......... Let'er roll!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
ibanezjp
Senior
And1: 288

Post#40 » by ibanezjp » Sat May 23, 2020 10:23 pm

emunney wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Ita been 74 days since the Bucks played but it seems like

The first month felt like 20 years and the 2nd month felt like one long night.

This! It’s been amazing to me that March felt like 6 months and April and May have flown by like time normally does.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks