ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#61 » by daoneandonly » Tue May 5, 2020 2:30 pm

Dallas needs someone to guard bigger wings first and foremost. Those guys dont grow on trees and are hard to attain but that should be the target. Harrell is nice, but doesn't give us that and is set to get paid

I like RIchardson, but I wouldn't give up every tradable asset we have for him (Seth, Brunson, 18, 31), some semblance of that sure, but certainly not all
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#62 » by HMFFL » Tue May 5, 2020 2:33 pm

With less minutes per game and as a fulltime starter Aaron Nesmith's rebounding numbers have declined. This offensive numbers went from 1.1 as a freshman to 0.8 as a starter (35.7mpg).

We must draft the best player available. If that's Aaron Nesmith so be it but there's a high chance he won't be available.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#63 » by Teffer10 » Tue May 5, 2020 3:24 pm

I'm beginning to think we need to add more than one defensive-oriented wing.
Not only will we need to match-up with both LA teams, Warriors should be back to full strength with some possible added firepower (Wiggins/Edwards or Ball) at the wings. Even if they take Wiseman they'll still be tough on the wings and DFS and Maxi are about all that we have with Maxi being somewhat limited.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#64 » by JamesConway » Tue May 5, 2020 4:16 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Dallas needs someone to guard bigger wings first and foremost. Those guys dont grow on trees and are hard to attain but that should be the target. Harrell is nice, but doesn't give us that and is set to get paid

I like RIchardson, but I wouldn't give up every tradable asset we have for him (Seth, Brunson, 18, 31), some semblance of that sure, but certainly not all

Kleber needs to be in that category as well Imo. He's good at what he does but we will have the full MLE to replace him if needed to.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#65 » by arkuo » Tue May 5, 2020 9:16 pm

How good would this current squad be had we landed Kemba Walker and Danny Green last summer. It's crazy that it could have been a possibility.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#66 » by HMFFL » Wed May 6, 2020 3:19 am

Teffer10 wrote:I'm beginning to think we need to add more than one defensive-oriented wing.
Not only will we need to match-up with both LA teams, Warriors should be back to full strength with some possible added firepower (Wiggins/Edwards or Ball) at the wings. Even if they take Wiseman they'll still be tough on the wings and DFS and Maxi are about all that we have with Maxi being somewhat limited.

The biggest challenge for any team that faces Golden State will be keeping up with their scoring. I think Klay Thompson will play his best basketball once he returns to the court.
I'm not positive there will be anyone that we can draft that's a shutdown defender. I will hope for a cheap free agent signing to help our defense.

swaggerbox
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#67 » by swaggerbox » Thu May 7, 2020 10:50 pm

if we somehow manage to trade for Jonathan Isaac and Matisse Thybulle this offseason then I would consider it a huge success. problem is we only have wright, brunson and the 2020 draft picks to trade for and I am not sure if it is enough to get them. Both are top rate and versatile defenders in the interior and perimeter and both have promising offensive games. get it done Donnie.
LukstapsDzingic
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#68 » by LukstapsDzingic » Mon May 11, 2020 3:19 pm

swaggerbox wrote:if we somehow manage to trade for Jonathan Isaac and Matisse Thybulle this offseason then I would consider it a huge success. problem is we only have wright, brunson and the 2020 draft picks to trade for and I am not sure if it is enough to get them. Both are top rate and versatile defenders in the interior and perimeter and both have promising offensive games. get it done Donnie.

Isaac is pretty much untouchable from Orlando's perspective. Thybulle may be more attainable, but Philly is in cap hell and isn't likely to part with someone on a rookie contract unless it's an overpay.

Targeting players in the draft with similar skill sets may be the only way to go.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#69 » by ejs78 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Isaac likely isn't going anywhere but:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/05/mixed-reviews-on-jonathan-isaacs-future.html?fv-home=true&post-id=160589
LukstapsDzingic wrote:
swaggerbox wrote:if we somehow manage to trade for Jonathan Isaac and Matisse Thybulle this offseason then I would consider it a huge success. problem is we only have wright, brunson and the 2020 draft picks to trade for and I am not sure if it is enough to get them. Both are top rate and versatile defenders in the interior and perimeter and both have promising offensive games. get it done Donnie.

Isaac is pretty much untouchable from Orlando's perspective. Thybulle may be more attainable, but Philly is in cap hell and isn't likely to part with someone on a rookie contract unless it's an overpay.

Targeting players in the draft with similar skill sets may be the only way to go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager

Post#70 » by arkuo » Mon May 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Somehow I'm warming up to the idea of getting Brogdon and Myles Turner from Indiana should they decide that it is in their best interest to keep Oladipo.

Just like Milwaukee with Lopez and Giannis working wonders with their spacing, I do believe getting Turner who can really shoot the 3 can help Porzingis floruish even further.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#71 » by Mike lorenzo » Mon May 11, 2020 11:41 pm

What do you think Favors is FA, elite rebounder, good interior defense, it seems that sounds good with Zinguis? Of course Powell should come out
1+1=11
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#72 » by Michaellam1987 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:01 pm

arkuo wrote:Somehow I'm warming up to the idea of getting Brogdon and Myles Turner from Indiana should they decide that it is in their best interest to keep Oladipo.

Just like Milwaukee with Lopez and Giannis working wonders with their spacing, I do believe getting Turner who can really shoot the 3 can help Porzingis floruish even further.

We don’t have assets to trade for IND starting PG and C, unless we are willing to trade KP
arkuo
General Manager

Post#73 » by arkuo » Mon May 18, 2020 6:46 pm

At the rate the economy is going, there is a high chance that WCS just opts in and takes the guaranteed money. Which bails us out a bit given that he is at a minimum contract and an insurance policy in case Powell's achilles acts up and he doesn't get back to his old self.

I'd still expect us to rekindle trade talks with Orlando for Aaron Gordon. Yes they're owned by Disney and both their film making and theme parks' operations are halted for the year which will affect their bottom line. I'll look for them to save money and play the cheaper Jonathan Isaac instead. It made sense for them before and even moreso now.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#74 » by Pointguard01 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 pm

arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
LOVE this. He could be an ideal #3 guy and had at a price where we could keep also resign Hardaway. Almost an ideal signing in 2021. Would assume this year's 3-pt shooting is a result of Philly's lack of spacing and not what he was in Miami.

Richardson is the guy I've been clamoring for all year because he seems to be the perfect missing piece and is still young.
Luka/Richardson/THJ/DFS/KP would be pretty awesome and Kleber can always alter with DFS for teams with bigger PFs.

What would it take to get him though?

Would Seth/Jackson/#18/#31 be enough to entice Philly?

Ideally you sign him outright in 2021 when he exercises his PO. Philly is capped out with the genius move of signing Horford, Embiid, Tobias Harris and now Ben Simmons all to maxes. Now they will not have room to sign Josh Richardson. Dallas swoops in nicely.

Also Rick Carlisle > Brett Brown.

One benefit of trading for him (esp if you include Delon Wright) is that we would get to see how he works alongside Luke and KP for a year, before committing to him long term while keeping cap flexibility for 2021. I dont foresee an issue with Richardson's fit but its nice to see it for a year. If the price was relatively cheap (Wright, Brunson and #18) bc Philly values depth, then you get the best player in the deal while losing few assets.

arkuo wrote:Just like Milwaukee with Lopez and Giannis working wonders with their spacing, I do believe getting Turner who can really shoot the 3 can help Porzingis floruish even further.

Turner makes little sense in Dallas. If you are playing KP at PF, you want a rim rolling center. Turner seems to be all pick n pop. Turner isn't worth what he would cost to get him (which I doubt we could put together the best package).
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#75 » by HMFFL » Sat May 23, 2020 4:12 pm

I would like to see us pursue Dāvis Bertāns. By signing him we add another shooting threat off our bench.

2018-2019 he played 76 games, shot .429%, and made 145 3-pointers.

2019-2020 he played 54 games before the shutdown, shot .42%, and made 200 3-pointers. He played a much bigger role with Washington this season than he did the previous year with San Antonio.

aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#76 » by aguiar95 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:57 pm

HMFFL wrote:I would like to see us pursue Dāvis Bertāns. By signing him we add another shooting threat off our bench.

2019-2020 he played 54 games before the shutdown, shot .42%, and made 200 3-pointers. He played a much bigger role with Washington this season than he did the previous year with San Antonio.

I can see a world where he accepts our full MLE to play with KP (he's also Latvian) and Luka. Not very likely though. WIZ probably pays him close to 15M per year, while the MLE gets close to 10M.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#77 » by HMFFL » Sun May 24, 2020 1:37 am

aguiar95 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I would like to see us pursue Dāvis Bertāns. By signing him we add another shooting threat off our bench.

I can see a world where he accepts our full MLE to play with KP (he's also Latvian) and Luka. Not very likely though. WIZ probably pays him close to 15M per year, while the MLE gets close to 10M.
With the salary cap supposedly decreasing due to the situation with the virus I hope his number isn't $15m.

swaggerbox
Freshman

Post#78 » by swaggerbox » Sun May 24, 2020 3:21 am

Bertans would also be a dream get. he doesnt need enough space to launch his threes. imagine having him, kristpas, seth, maxi and thj on the perimeter. luka would have a field day penetrating inside the lane. shades of predrag stojakovic. how lethal is that!
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#79 » by Mike lorenzo » Sun May 24, 2020 8:54 am

swaggerbox wrote:Bertans would also be a dream get. he doesnt need enough space to launch his threes. imagine having him, kristpas, seth, maxi and thj on the perimeter. luka would have a field day penetrating inside the lane. shades of predrag stojakovic. how lethal is that!

He is a great shooter without a doubt, but the numbers on the offensive and are very good, .. some negative points here, they have to count he would like a longer contract, which would affect the 2021 cap .., what is his defense? I think that with limited resources, people should be others ... if they want to add another big one to shoot, I would point to Bjelica, would it be "cheaper" 2nd GSW + JJackson ?? expires in 2021 and we can use the MLE in a necessary, defensive presence ..
1+1=11
swaggerbox
Freshman

Post#80 » by swaggerbox » Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 am

i am not so much optimistic on the 2021 free agency. other than giannis there is no one realitiscally worthy of saving the max space for. the draft and the trade front is the only path i think that the mavs are fairly good at. so collect the most assets that you can get. if $15/yr is the price tag for the best shooter on the planet then go get him and not settle for anything less. there are lots of avenues if you want create max space.

Return to Dallas Mavericks