Did Thibs contribute to Yao's shortened career?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,199

Did Thibs contribute to Yao's shortened career? 

Post#1 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 pm

4;30 in the conversation Tracy starts talking about how Thibs had Yao working hard before every game he thought Yao was going to wear down. Clutchfans any thoughts about this?
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Re: Did Thibs contribute to Yao's shortened career? 

Post#2 » by jlokine » Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm

i think some load management would definitely help yao's career..
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,778

Post#3 » by Homer38 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm

If Thibs is the next Head Coach of the Nets…
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,269

Post#4 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat May 23, 2020 7:03 pm

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point :-?
InTheNBADraft
Sophomore
And1: 67

Post#5 » by InTheNBADraft » Sat May 23, 2020 7:04 pm

Honestly, I think he put on too much bulk too fast. All the panic about "how he's gonna defend Shaq?" was so over-emphasized and I think may have led to him putting on too much weight and stress on his lower body.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,199

Post#6 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point :-?

I guess i should have done a ''could MJ have been a better chessplayer than Bobby Fisher if he wanted to?''
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,243

Post#7 » by Nuntius » Sat May 23, 2020 7:22 pm

I don't know about Yao but Thibs does have a reputation of working his players to the ground. Noah and Deng are prime examples of Thibs working someone to the ground.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#8 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Sat May 23, 2020 7:34 pm

Nuntius wrote:I don't know about Yao but Thibs does have a reputation of working his players to the ground. Noah and Deng are prime examples of Thibs working someone to the ground.

Well Thibs had Noah playing great and to his full potential with the Bulls. Joakim Noah was all nba defense 3x, made 2 all star games, won defensive player of the year and was first team all nba under Thibs. He really accomplished nothing under any other coach. He is the last player I'd blame Thibs for. Thibs coaching did great things for Noah and made him one of the best players in the league.

Obviously there are superstars that would be great under any coach. I do believe there are some coaches that are able to get things out of players and make them play in a certain way that average coaches could not. Thibs with Noah is one of those situations.
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#9 » by magicman1978 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:47 pm

It was more the Chinese National team forcing him to play year round
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,243

Post#10 » by Nuntius » Sat May 23, 2020 7:55 pm

BigtimeNBAfan wrote:
Nuntius wrote:I don't know about Yao but Thibs does have a reputation of working his players to the ground. Noah and Deng are prime examples of Thibs working someone to the ground.

Well Thibs had Noah playing great and to his full potential with the Bulls. Joakim Noah was all nba defense 3x, made 2 all star games, won defensive player of the year and was first team all nba under Thibs. He really accomplished nothing under any other coach. He is the last player I'd blame Thibs for. Thibs coaching did great things for Noah and made him one of the best players in the league.

Obviously there are superstars that would be great under any coach. I do believe there are some coaches that are able to get things out of players and make them play in a certain way that average coaches could not. Thibs with Noah is one of those situations.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Thibs was a very good coach for Noah. He definitely got the best out of him. Thibs puts his players under extremely hard work and it definitely pays off in the short term. That hard work definitely contributed to Noah winning those accolades. It's just that this type of hard work and big minute usage results in shortening one's career. It pays off in the short term by making you reach heights that you probably wouldn't reach otherwise but there's only so much that your body can handle before it breaks down.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,404

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm

magicman1978 wrote:It was more the Chinese National team forcing him to play year round

This is the answer and the only thing worth talking about other than just noting that Yao's body was probably doomed to break down.

It's analogous to what the Soviet Union did to Sabonis.

The worst thing to say about Thibs is that he might have had like 1/100th of this negative impact on his long-term players that the Soviet Union and China absolutely did every single one of their players with potential.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,440

Post#12 » by Slava » Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Didn't T-Mac himself have a trainer that trained him poorly which contributed to his early back issues?

Regarding Yao, he was pushing the limits of human size and durability with how he was built and no matter what Houston did with him, playing in Beijing with a clearly broken foot probably did worse damage.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#13 » by Bertrob » Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 am

The Chinese national team didn't **** force him to play, he wanted to play. You think an NBA level player from a country that has no history of basketball doesn't want to play in as many international events as possible? Americans truly are the most uneducated populace on Earth
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#14 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun May 24, 2020 12:51 am

Bertrob wrote:The Chinese national team didn't **** force him to play, he wanted to play. You think an NBA level player from a country that has no history of basketball doesn't want to play in as many international events as possible? Americans truly are the most uneducated populace on Earth

Yao was literally bred by the national team. Forced is the wrong word, but he obviously had a great deal of pressure to carry them to relevancy his entire life.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,679

Post#15 » by AussieCeltic » Sun May 24, 2020 12:54 am

Bertrob wrote:The Chinese national team didn't **** force him to play, he wanted to play. You think an NBA level player from a country that has no history of basketball doesn't want to play in as many international events as possible? Americans truly are the most uneducated populace on Earth

You're wrong. He was forced to play. I'm Australian and our NBA guys don't play against the minnows but Yao had to play ever single game for China. You really underestimate the Chinese regime.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#16 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 am

this is getting ridiculous at this point
Bertrob
RealGM

Post#17 » by Bertrob » Sun May 24, 2020 12:58 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Yao was literally bred by the national team. Forced is the wrong word, but he obviously had a great deal of pressure to carry them to relevancy his entire life.

There's literally nothing strange about someone suggesting to his mother to marry a tall man, but you guys are making it sound like Nazi eugenics searching for the ubermensch
Bertrob
RealGM

Post#18 » by Bertrob » Sun May 24, 2020 1:00 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
You're wrong. He was forced to play. I'm Australian and our NBA guys don't play against the minnows but Yao had to play ever single game for China. You really underestimate the Chinese regime.

Yea cause their national team is garbage even with him. My country (Korea) smacks them around regularly at the Asian games and we **** suck at basketball. No I don't underestimate the chinese regime, I'm just not an idiot who blindly believes American government propaganda and general sinophobia.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,679

Post#19 » by AussieCeltic » Sun May 24, 2020 1:04 am

Bertrob wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Yao was literally bred by the national team. Forced is the wrong word, but he obviously had a great deal of pressure to carry them to relevancy his entire life.

There's literally nothing strange about someone suggesting to his mother to marry a tall man, but you guys are making it sound like Nazi eugenics searching for the ubermensch

When is comes from a government officials who are well known for the persecution of their own people, then yes it is bad.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,970

Post#20 » by HMFFL » Sun May 24, 2020 1:05 am

I only thought Yao played to many minutes per game. 07-08 he played 37mpg. Two seasons before it should have been obvious to a coach that Yao's minutes should have been around 30 per game but he kept being worked. Load management wasn't a thing at the time but a coach that has any common sense should have game planned better.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board