Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,432

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#461 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 18, 2020 6:41 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Shouldn't it be proportionate to the amount of black football players? Otherwise, there should be a lot more black coaches in the NHL

While that's fair, football is as popular a sport to play or watch with white people as black people, they just aren't as good at it as they're not as athletic. Therefore there's plenty of white football fans to dream of being scouts or coaches. There's not as many black hockey players cause the culturally they don't like the sport as much (in addition to Canada being 3% black) which would also make for less who grow up to be coaches. Otherwise there would be lots of black players who can skate faster than anyone.

I mean sure, that is the literal reason why the NHL doesn't have a lot of black people in it in general. But I am saying - you cannot say that because black people make up 10% of America that there being 3 head coaches seems right - demographically speaking.

More than 10% of the NFL is black, and more than 10% of high level NCAA football is black as well. Head coaches are former football players. So you can't just compare the number of coaches to the general demographics of USA. Ratio isn't the same.

I'd draw a distinction between "high level NCAA football" and the college football that top coaches come from.

Belichick went to Wesleyan.
Carroll transferred to Pacific.
Walsh transferred to San Jose State at a time when San Jose State wasn't in any conference.
Parcells transferred to Wichita State.

I don't really want to argue about what constitutes "high level NCAA football", but to me the route to being an NFL coach has always been working your way up the coaching ranks, and that no one really minded if you played for some podunk little school.

I don't think there's any doubt that it was easier to get opportunities to do this if you were white because racism, but in terms of actually being a celebrated college football player in a big time program, there really isn't a history of that.

And the thing is: I think the NFL's mentality here is smarter than the NBA's. I think it is smarter to invest in guys from podunk schools who work their way up the coaching ranks than it is to hand the top job to a guy who played in the NBA and has no coaching experience.

I feel like I'm just going around in circles here so I don't know if my points are getting through.

In general I just feel a need to emphasize: There is no easy answer to the racial disparity between players and coaches. There's a ton I don't like about how the NFL does business that has racial overtones, and this is part of it, but that doesn't mean that it makes sense to think that X% of the best coaches will be black because X% of the best players will be black. The disagreement in those ratios is proof of a problem, and one the NFL should look to combat to the extent it can, but there is no way to eliminate it short of using artificial measures that piss people off.

When something is a problem on the level of society as a whole, it's going to remain a problem so long as the society remains as it is.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,233

Post#462 » by ardee » Mon May 18, 2020 8:49 pm

Thoughts on gyms opening? Not in my state but frankly I just would not be able to bring myself to go even if they did. The gym is a place to zone out and destress for me. The anxiety and stress of wiping stuff down and maintaining social distancing renders the entire experience negative. I've made some pretty good progress at home with just a pair of adjustable dumbbells, probably gonna buy some more stuff and commit to just lifting at home for the next 6 or so months.

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#463 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 19, 2020 10:17 pm

I think I'd have respected the Last Dance more if the whole thing was just chronological history. Going behind the scenes with the 98 team feels underwhelming to me when it's obvious Jordan left out the worst parts.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#464 » by Jaivl » Tue May 19, 2020 10:41 pm

ardee wrote:Thoughts on gyms opening? Not in my state but frankly I just would not be able to bring myself to go even if they did. The gym is a place to zone out and destress for me. The anxiety and stress of wiping stuff down and maintaining social distancing renders the entire experience negative. I've made some pretty good progress at home with just a pair of adjustable dumbbells, probably gonna buy some more stuff and commit to just lifting at home for the next 6 or so months.

I've been thinking in skipping the gym altogether for a while too.

Made decent progress with yoga + calisthenics (keg-weighted pistols, pushups, sofa dips, HSPU, and even built the worst rowing apparatus ever with two ladders) + running (until my asthma kicked in and I had to go to the hospital for a week lol). I miss the heavy power lifts plus the weighted pullups and dips... but it's a different kind of fun.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,233

Post#465 » by ardee » Wed May 20, 2020 12:29 am

Jaivl wrote:
ardee wrote:Thoughts on gyms opening? Not in my state but frankly I just would not be able to bring myself to go even if they did. The gym is a place to zone out and destress for me. The anxiety and stress of wiping stuff down and maintaining social distancing renders the entire experience negative. I've made some pretty good progress at home with just a pair of adjustable dumbbells, probably gonna buy some more stuff and commit to just lifting at home for the next 6 or so months.

Made decent progress with yoga + calisthenics (keg-weighted pistols, pushups, sofa dips, HSPU, and even built the worst rowing apparatus ever with two ladders) + running (until my asthma kicked in and I had to go to the hospital for a week lol). I miss the heavy power lifts plus the weighted pullups and dips... but it's a different kind of fun.
No weights at all for 6-12 months?

Yeah I've found calisthenics are excellent for chest and back. Still need light dumbbells to hit shoulders and arms properly though.

I am thinking of getting a squat stand (not a rack) in my apartment, so that might enable me to continue barbell work as normal. This 2 month experiment with dumbbells and bodyweight is fun but that was always meant to be short term.

Just saw a video of a gym in Georgia. Not a mask in sight and looked like nothing was ever wrong. No thanks...

Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Post#466 » by Bad Gatorade » Thu May 21, 2020 5:11 am

ardee wrote:
Jaivl wrote:

No weights at all for 6-12 months?

Yeah I've found calisthenics are excellent for chest and back. Still need light dumbbells to hit shoulders and arms properly though.

I am thinking of getting a squat stand (not a rack) in my apartment, so that might enable me to continue barbell work as normal. This 2 month experiment with dumbbells and bodyweight is fun but that was always meant to be short term.

Just saw a video of a gym in Georgia. Not a mask in sight and looked like nothing was ever wrong. No thanks...

Man, I'm over home workouts, lol.

I have a half-rack and a bunch of weights (105kg total, aka 231lbs) and it's not so bad for upper body stuff, but I definitely need more for lower body. I haven't even bothered deadlifting since I used to deadlift over twice as much as the weights that I have, lol. It's been a nightmare trying to get stuff down in Australia. Would also prefer having a nice, neat floor with mirrors etc rather than just a wall littered with my own junk in the garage, but hey, can't have it all. Still beats not having any weights - got sick of asking my brother in law to sit on my back as I did push-ups, lol.

Kind of annoying though, because I broke my metacarpal in September and was out of proper weight training/BJJ for 11 weeks (and even then, I'd still have random swelling/pains and what not afterwards), and then when I was finally getting back into the swing of things, COVID-19 comes along. Wish I had access to whatever medicine Gordon Hayward had to recover in 6 weeks :lol:
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#467 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri May 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Jerry Sloan died. I actually thought he was quite a bit older than 78 for what ever reason. I guess because I've read his health wasn't the best for a while now.

RIP
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#468 » by trex_8063 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:40 pm

RIP Jerry Sloan. The Original Bull(y); what a tenacious defender, great coach. Sad day for the NBA fam.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#469 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat May 23, 2020 12:52 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:Jerry Sloan died. I actually thought he was quite a bit older than 78 for what ever reason. I guess because I've read his health wasn't the best for a while now.

RIP

trex_8063 wrote:RIP Jerry Sloan. The Original Bull(y); what a tenacious defender, great coach. Sad day for the NBA fam.

Great video on Sloan I came across earlier:

Read on Twitter
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#470 » by bondom34 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:59 am

IDK how any here watch pro wrestling but AEW just had the best match I've seen in a looooong time. Really great card too.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#471 » by Goudelock » Sun May 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Old man yells at the clouds in 1952 and reminisces about the 1920s.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#472 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue May 26, 2020 6:20 am

bondom34 wrote:IDK how any here watch pro wrestling but AEW just had the best match I've seen in a looooong time. Really great card too.

What was the match? I've been watching wrasslin this week but only old stuff
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#473 » by bondom34 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:22 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
bondom34 wrote:IDK how any here watch pro wrestling but AEW just had the best match I've seen in a looooong time. Really great card too.

What was the match? I've been watching wrasslin this week but only old stuff

AEW, Stadium Stampede. TBH the whole PPV was great but the match was hilarious and well done.

5 on 5 tag match in the football stadium, falls count anywhere.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Bad Gatorade
Senior

Post#474 » by Bad Gatorade » Wed May 27, 2020 10:01 am

So, it looks like Basketball-Reference's play index is soon to become a subscription service...

Any chance NBA.com improves their search mechanism? :cry:
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,405
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#475 » by E-Balla » Thu May 28, 2020 11:59 am

Bad Gatorade wrote:So, it looks like Basketball-Reference's play index is soon to become a subscription service...

Seriously? The play index was the best feature by far, it's the reason I started using sports reference back in like 2008.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#476 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 28, 2020 6:51 pm

My prediction for the playoff format: top 6 teams get in, 7/10 vs 8/9 play each other in best of 3 or best of 5. Maybe a one-off tiebreaker game between Pelicans and Kings before that since they have the same record. They seem to be interested in having about 20 playoff teams to feature Lillard and Zion.

Hollinger brought up issues with the group stage idea in that teams can be eliminated early and have no reason to care the last few games.
Bad Gatorade
Senior

Post#477 » by Bad Gatorade » Fri May 29, 2020 2:20 am

E-Balla wrote:
Bad Gatorade wrote:So, it looks like Basketball-Reference's play index is soon to become a subscription service...

Seriously? The play index was the best feature by far, it's the reason I started using sports reference back in like 2008.

Likewise (probably roughly 2008 for me too, in fact, although I was on other sites like 82games before then) - Play Index is honestly such a fantastic feature, especially in recent years when they added things such as the lineup and plus/minus finder too.

Here's their explanation:
https://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2020/05/play-index-tools-are-moving-to-stathead-com/

In summary:
* They don't want to have their site packed with advertising and they're apparently losing money on the Play Index feature
* Subscription is $8 a month (which is $12 a month down under, aka, the rough equivalent of something like Netflix for me) for just basketball
* $16 a month for the Play Index for all sports they provide (rather than just basketball)
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#478 » by Odinn21 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:54 am

Bad Gatorade wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

Likewise (probably roughly 2008 for me too, in fact, although I was on other sites like 82games before then) - Play Index is honestly such a fantastic feature, especially in recent years when they added things such as the lineup and plus/minus finder too.

Here's their explanation:
https://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2020/05/play-index-tools-are-moving-to-stathead-com/

In summary:
* They don't want to have their site packed with advertising and they're apparently losing money on the Play Index feature
* Subscription is $8 a month (which is $12 a month down under, aka, the rough equivalent of something like Netflix for me) for just basketball
* $16 a month for the Play Index for all sports they provide (rather than just basketball)

In where I live, Netflix is two third of 8$ due to local pricing. Heck, yearly NBA League Pass is cheaper than that for me.
If they want people outside of the US to pay, they should implement such system...
(Even if I were livin' the US, I'd still think 8$ per month would be too much for such a thing.)
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,703

Post#479 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 29, 2020 4:24 pm

It's a lot to pay and I certainly won't, but they've provided an incredible resource for free for a very long time. I'm sure they hated to go this direction, but I understand it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,432

Post#480 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 29, 2020 9:00 pm

It is pricier than I was expecting, but to be honest I'm amazed they've let us us it for free for so long. When your website is free, the more traffic you get, the more in debt you get. It makes sense to do that for a while but not forever.

I feel like on a moral grounds, I should probably pay no matter what, but I'll ask:

What other sources and tools are there, either free or for pay?
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to Player Comparisons