ImageImageImageImageImage

TPE Trade Target Watch

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

kingcong95
Junior
And1: 129

Re: TPE Trade Target Watch 

Post#121 » by kingcong95 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:27 am

Proposal floated by an NBC Sports beat writer: Wiggins + Paschall for Turner + Warren. Warren's 11.75 goes into the Iggy TPE and we get one for Wiggins - Turner = 11.54.
If Indy doesn't think Paschall is enough incentive for Wiggins' contract, give them the lottery pick instead of Paschall.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#122 » by Coxy » Tue May 19, 2020 2:49 am

kingcong95 wrote:Proposal floated by an NBC Sports beat writer: Wiggins + Paschall for Turner + Warren. Warren's 11.75 goes into the Iggy TPE and we get one for Wiggins - Turner = 11.54.
If Indy doesn't think Paschall is enough incentive for Wiggins' contract, give them the lottery pick instead of Paschall.

There'd be an investigation into collussion or something if a deal like that went down. Indy could get way more in trade for those 2.

Sign me up though.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#123 » by ILOVEIT » Thu May 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Is that Evan Turner? Which team is this a trade with? No interest in Evan Turner so hopefully not him.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#124 » by Coxy » Thu May 21, 2020 10:57 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Is that Evan Turner? Which team is this a trade with? No interest in Evan Turner so hopefully not him.

Myles.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#125 » by OptionZero » Sat May 23, 2020 8:04 am

cdubbz wrote:Is grabbing Josh Richardson & Austin Rivers feasible?

Not sure why Rockets would give you Rivers at $2mil. He’s their only backup point. But he would solve our backup point guard and Josh can play at the 2 & 3 backup minutes. Our 2 second rounders can be tossed to whoever.

Draft Wiseman or Onyeka and our depth is much more balanced.

Curry/Rivers
Thompson/Poole
Wiggins/Richardson
Draymond/Paschall/Smiley
Quese/Onyeka or Wiseman/Looney

Super versatile backcourt with switch ability, ball handling & shooting. Front court needs a veteran.

Richardson's availability stems from PHI's payroll being absurdly high - $145M committed for 20-21 currently. That number may change if the cap is changed, since IIRC Ben Simmon's max will be a percentage of the cap. Either way, they are most certainly going to be a tax team.

Unless they win the title, can they really justify the cost?

Then you look at who's making the big bucks: Simmons and Embiid are max dudes and foundational pieces that are unlikely to move barring a shocking change in attitude from their FO. Horford is 33 making $28M/year, no one wants that contract. Harris is making $34M and he's not a star either, no one wants that deal.

The "easiest" deal to move is Josh Richardson, who makes $10M this year with an $11M player option in 21-22. He is 26, very versatile. Good defender across 1-2-3 (too small to guard 4's), can shoot 3's, and even initiate offense since he played some PG. He has playoff experience. This is basically the ideal bench addition: young enough to expect consistent production or better, but experienced enough you can trust him not to **** stuff up and piss off the coaching staff. PHI also has Matisse Thybulle or Shake Milton as cheap replacements that do some of the things.

He fits easily in the TPE, and if ownership is willing to spend the bucks, you should probably grab mike Scott for $5M from them anyways as a bench floor spacer that is also an expiring contract to flip later in a trade if needed.

In this situation, PHI would NOT want the 2020 first rounder, despite the high lotto status. That pick will cost nearly $9M in the first year, essentially negating any savings for tax avoidance.

As we are one of the few teams that can actually offer them such a massive cap savings with our TPE, I would be hard-pressed to give up the 2021 MIN 1st. I'd offer our own 2021 unprotected first and the 2021 MIN second pretty easily since Richardson is very good (although he will need a new contract in all likelihood in a year). Perhaps a compromise is that we send the 2021 MIN first and get their own 2021 in return, a pick swap that offers them alot of upside but doesn't leave us totally short (it's probably a good 15-20 spots)

Very similar factors would play into Marcus Smart's availability. BOS is also well into tax land, at $140M committed. Gordon Hayward isn't opting out of his $34M player option. Going forward, Hayward would be a FA in 2021 but Tatum's due for a max contract that would kick in there. Brown is locked in, they're not trading him. Kemba also has several years left on his max.

Smart is their most movable piece. He is a better defender than Richardson, has similar playmaking potential, less shooting, but the benefit is that he has two years left on his deal.

Smart is not the same guy as Iguodala but fills a similar role as a multipositional defender off the bench that also can handle the ball. No one's going to mistake him for an offensive genius but he can do stuff and improved this year. He is a proven, effective defensive force in the playoffs, and perfectly willing to bang against bigger dudes in a switching system. At $13.5M per year over 2 years he's reasonably priced as well. in contrast, Richardson would need to be re-signed in a year and we have less control. Smart is also 26. I would gladly give our own 2021 first rounder for him. You don't want to rely on Jordan Poole as your 3rd guard.

I think both teams will face some pressure to relieve their respective cap hits.

Norman Powell is another guy in the same price range. TOR has way more cap flexibility so there's less leverage. He can fill it up on offense and would be great off the bench.
OptionZero
Starter

Post#126 » by OptionZero » Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 am

kingcong95 wrote:Proposal floated by an NBC Sports beat writer: Wiggins + Paschall for Turner + Warren. Warren's 11.75 goes into the Iggy TPE and we get one for Wiggins - Turner = 11.54.

There is no **** way Indiana is taking Andrew Wiggins

Wiggins for Turner doesn't work either as an individual trade, since Wiggins makes twice as much as Turner.

Based on what IND sportswriters say, IND has a wierd underappreciation for the guy, since they really love Sabonis. Dmo is a points/rebound guy with easy stats to value, plus, maybe some other non-statistical . . .factors that IND fans appreciate.
Turner spaces the floor and defends so his impact is less visible to casual fans.

Turner's skillset fits perfectly, its a super rate combination of shotblocking and 3P shooting that makes him a unicorn. IND would be stupid to give him up for anything but a bounty.

Maybe the COVID situation screws their finances enough they're desperate enough to move him, but we can't take him into the TPE so we can't offer immediate cap relief. The best we can do is shave the second year off by getting a different expiring (James Johnson) into the TPE and then flipping that contract to IND with a pick (NOT the 2020, since that rookie is getting $9m)
OptionZero
Starter

Post#127 » by OptionZero » Sat May 23, 2020 8:14 am

Another idea to float:

Taking Tomas Satoransky ($10M) and Lauri Markkanen ($6.7M) into the TPE and sending CHI our own 2021 first.

Sato is 28, not part of their future, and they're not contending for anything. Their starting backcourt is going to be White and Lavine.
Markkanen has plateaued for them and about to hit RFA in a year.

New management would probably not mind saving a few bucks and adding a pick for the rebuild on their own terms

We get a solid combo guard with experience, can run some offense, can hit 3's, plus a shot at Lauri as floor spacing C project.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#128 » by whocurrz » Sat May 23, 2020 9:24 am

Lauri is part of the Bulls future and not available. And Myles Turner would be a no brainer but not available.

Teams we should target are Celtics and Pelicans. For Celtics, Marcus Smart is a great target with a draft trade. Pelicans too considering they have a ton of assets but are a borderline playoff team so may see this as last chance at a high pick and willing to consolidate assets. If we could get Jrue, the late lotto pick and a future pick for our pick and TPE that would be a great use of the situation to improve for next year and collect assets in case we want to make a pitch for Giannis.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,732

Post#129 » by gswhoops » Sat May 23, 2020 9:39 am

whocurrz wrote:Lauri is part of the Bulls future and not available. And Myles Turner would be a no brainer but not available.

Teams we should target are Celtics and Pelicans. For Celtics, Marcus Smart is a great target with a draft trade. Pelicans too considering they have a ton of assets but are a borderline playoff team so may see this as last chance at a high pick and willing to consolidate assets. If we could get Jrue, the late lotto pick and a future pick for our pick and TPE that would be a great use of the situation to improve for next year and collect assets in case we want to make a pitch for Giannis.

Holiday makes $25M next year...too much for the TPE even if we flip it for an equivalent-sized expiring first.

I would love Smart or Richardson. The dream would be to squeeze Houston for Covington or Tucker.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#130 » by Mylie10 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 pm

Smart and Barton are my guys
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
OptionZero
Starter

Post#131 » by OptionZero » Sun May 24, 2020 4:30 am

whocurrz wrote:Lauri is part of the Bulls future and not available. And Myles Turner would be a no brainer but not available.

Lauri's already made noise about wanting out

and as others pointed out already, Holiday makes too much for the TPE
Coxy
RealGM

Post#132 » by Coxy » Sun May 24, 2020 5:03 am

OptionZero wrote:Another idea to float:

Taking Tomas Satoransky ($10M) and Lauri Markkanen ($6.7M) into the TPE and sending CHI our own 2021 first.

Sato is 28, not part of their future, and they're not contending for anything. Their starting backcourt is going to be White and Lavine.

New management would probably not mind saving a few bucks and adding a pick for the rebuild on their own terms

We get a solid combo guard with experience, can run some offense, can hit 3's, plus a shot at Lauri as floor spacing C project.

Sounds good to me.
kingcong95
Junior
And1: 129

Post#133 » by kingcong95 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:29 am

Please explain. I'm not sold on Lauri defensively as a 5 and he's injury prone. And why would the Bulls be so eager to dump Sato, whom they gave up assets to sign just last year, when they'll only be near the salary cap for next year?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#134 » by Mylie10 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:51 pm

Coxy wrote:

Sounds good to me.

But you can't make a trade with the TPE for 2 players. Only one player. You would have to do 2 separate trades if you're breaking down the TPE.

Anyhow, the Bulls most likely aren't dealing Markkanen.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
OptionZero
Starter

Post#135 » by OptionZero » Sun May 24, 2020 8:56 pm

kingcong95 wrote:

Please explain. I'm not sold on Lauri defensively as a 5 and he's injury prone. And why would the Bulls be so eager to dump Sato, whom they gave up assets to sign just last year, when they'll only be near the salary cap for next year?

New management always wants their own guys. He is 28, not a core player. This front office didn’t acquire him, another first gives them stuff to use.

I don’t love Lauri. He doesn’t project as a good defender, but he is potentially a big that can shoot and do stuff with the ball. he plateaued but he’s still you. Again, this front office didn’t seat him , he said he may wanna leave. We also should use as much of the TPE as we can so we have salary to trade later
OptionZero
Starter

Post#136 » by OptionZero » Sun May 24, 2020 8:57 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Sounds good to me.

But you can't make a trade with the TPE for 2 players. Only one player. You would have to do 2 separate trades if you're breaking down the TPE.

Anyhow, the Bulls most likely aren't dealing Markkanen.

I am unaware of any restriction on the number of players coming IN to the TPE. If you have seen this rule, I am happy to read it.

EDIT:
Larry coon’s NBA CBA FAQ explains the TPE in item 87. I see no restriction on the number of incoming players as long as their total salaries fit within the TPE.

Even if there were, doing two separate trades still works as the combined salaries of Tomas and Lauri does not exceed the TPE. The FAQ clearly says partial consumption of the TPE is legal so multiple uses is fine.

As for whether you think they’ll trade Lauri, you can believe whatever you want.
That team is going nowhere so I think everyone is on the table with new management
OptionZero
Starter

Post#137 » by OptionZero » Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm

gswhoops wrote:

Holiday makes $25M next year...too much for the TPE even if we flip it for an equivalent-sized expiring first.

I would love Smart or Richardson. The dream would be to squeeze Houston for Covington or Tucker.

I am personally rooting for Covington. When morey helps us win a title right before Fertitta fires him (both to be cheap and for China), Houston and nba Twitter will absolutely MELT DOWN.

OTHER than giannis, nothing will make me happier
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#138 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 4:27 am

Was just announced they expanded the window of which to use the 17.2 TPE.
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-get-great-news-about-172m-andre-iguodala-trade-exception
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,732

Post#139 » by gswhoops » Sat Jun 6, 2020 4:39 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:Was just announced they expanded the window of which to use the 17.2 TPE.
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-get-great-news-about-172m-andre-iguodala-trade-exception

This is HUGE for us.

We can let FA play out and dangle the TPE to teams that need extra cap space. We can wait for the dust to settle and shake loose guys that might not be available at the beginning of the offseason.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#140 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Jun 6, 2020 4:49 pm

2021/22 - The return of the Ring.

Return to Golden State Warriors