Image ImageImage Image

NBA Trade Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,161

Re: NBA Trade Thread 

Post#1481 » by _txchilibowl_ » Sat May 23, 2020 1:31 pm

gobullschi wrote:Incoming Chicago:
LaMelo Ball (#1)
Andrew Wiggins
Rights to swap 2021 1st round pick (MIN)
2021 2nd Round Pick (MIN)

Incoming Golden State:
Otto Porter Jr.
James Wiseman (#7)
Chandler Hutchison
Shaq Harrison

Cap drop due to the shortened season could eliminate the Bulls from having the cap space needed for a top free agent in 2021. Even if they have enough space its doubtful Giannis leaves Milwaukee for Chicago and AD isn’t going to leave LA. That doesn’t leave a difference maker available. Instead, Bulls gamble on Andrew Wiggins upside while moving up in the draft (#1), getting another (likely) lotto pick in 2021 (via swap), and a pair of 2nd founders in 2021. It would be fun to see Wiggins and LaVine end up on the same team again.

LaMelo Ball / Coby White / Ryan Arcidiacano
Zach LaVine / Adam Mokoko / Jay Scrubb
Andrew Wiggins / Tomas Satoransky
Lauri Markkanen / Thaddeus Young
Wendell Carter Jr. / Daniel Gafford / Luke Kornet

Why would GSW do this? This is awful for them.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1482 » by gobullschi » Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
LaMelo Ball (#1)
Andrew Wiggins

Incoming Golden State:
Otto Porter Jr.
James Wiseman (#7)
Chandler Hutchison
Shaq Harrison

Cap drop due to the shortened season could eliminate the Bulls from having the cap space needed for a top free agent in 2021. Even if they have enough space its doubtful Giannis leaves Milwaukee for Chicago and AD isn’t going to leave LA. That doesn’t leave a difference maker available. Instead, Bulls gamble on Andrew Wiggins upside while moving up in the draft (#1), getting another (likely) lotto pick in 2021 (via swap), and a pair of 2nd founders in 2021. It would be fun to see Wiggins and LaVine end up on the same team again.

They desperately need to get out of Wiggins contract, especially when the cap drops. This deal helps them do that.
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#1483 » by _txchilibowl_ » Sat May 23, 2020 2:07 pm

gobullschi wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:
LaMelo Ball (#1)
Andrew Wiggins

Incoming Golden State:
Otto Porter Jr.
James Wiseman (#7)
Chandler Hutchison
Shaq Harrison

They desperately need to get out of Wiggins contract, especially when the cap drops. This deal helps them do that.

Sorry didn't mean to come off as dismissive. Just feels like GSW could do alot better than this with the amount of value they're sending out. I suppose a deal like this is possible but only if they have a target in mind to add to Steph and Klay...
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,724

Post#1484 » by TheSuzerain » Sat May 23, 2020 3:56 pm

gobullschi wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
Your over analyzing LaVine. He is an ascending young shooting guard (not point guard) and one of the future star players of the NBA. KD said LaVine will be one of the top 5 future superstars.

It’s interesting for a Bulls fan to say a player cannot improve on skills at his age after watching Jimmy Butler develop later on just a few years ago. Regardless, LaVine isn’t the problem. It’s management job to surround him with talent and so far Markkanen, Dunn, WCJ, and Porter have all failed to develop into anything. Somehow AK needs to find a way to get the Bulls their own ‘Big 3’. It certainly doesn’t start by trading LaVine for Gary Harris. What a joke.

Butler was a once in a generation ascent.

Lavine is a good example of how scoring can only go so far when you're mediocre to bad at everything else.

Lavine has value, but he's certainly no star.

So your saying Kevin Dura t doesn’t know what he’s talking about?

All the good teams have 3 stars. Your deflecting blame on LaVine when he doesn’t even have one other star.

Durant definitely doesn’t know what he’s talking about in this case.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#1485 » by gobullschi » Sat May 23, 2020 4:01 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Butler was a once in a generation ascent.

Lavine is a good example of how scoring can only go so far when you're mediocre to bad at everything else.

All the good teams have 3 stars. Your deflecting blame on LaVine when he doesn’t even have one other star.

Durant definitely doesn’t know what he’s talking about in this case.

Agree to disagree. I trust my own eyes and a professional athlete that has played against LaVine over your overly critical assessment.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#1486 » by gobullschi » Sat May 23, 2020 4:19 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

Sorry didn't mean to come off as dismissive. Just feels like GSW could do alot better than this with the amount of value they're sending out. I suppose a deal like this is possible but only if they have a target in mind to add to Steph and Klay...

The problem is GS is completely capped out. With a cap that is projected to decrease, they will probably be forced to move Wiggins. I posted this trade idea on the trade board and it seems like most find it relatively fair.

The issue with this deal for Chicago is absorbing Wiggins contract though. It completely takes the Bulls out of the 2021 free agent class, but I don’t see AD leaving LA or Giannis leaving Milwaukee for a team rival anyways.

Wiggins does add a 20+ scorer that can create his own shot albeit inefficiently. He is only 25 years old and maybe a guy like Ball can help with that.

Also, Porter just can’t stay healthy enough for me to see him as a long term fit.

The true value is the draft compensation. With a lot of luck the Bulls could get back to back #1 picks.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#1487 » by drosereturn » Sat May 23, 2020 4:36 pm

gobullschi wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

The problem is GS is completely capped out. With a cap that is projected to decrease, they will probably be forced to move Wiggins. I posted this trade idea on the trade board and it seems like most find it relatively fair.

The issue with this deal for Chicago is absorbing Wiggins contract though. It completely takes the Bulls out of the 2021 free agent class, but I don’t see AD leaving LA or Giannis leaving Milwaukee for a team rival anyways.

Wiggins does add a 20+ scorer that can create his own shot albeit inefficiently. He is only 25 years old and maybe a guy like Ball can help with that.

Also, Porter just can’t stay healthy enough for me to see him as a long term fit.

The true value is the draft compensation. With a lot of luck the Bulls could get back to back #1 picks.

Bingo. GS will be forced to sell Wiggins since not doing it will mean giving up their dynasty and officially ending their run.
What this move does for Chicago is buy time by getting younger and set themselves for the next decade with possible back to back number 1 picks. Chicago will get destroyed short term with 0% at AD but its a necessary sacrifice to make a Philly type leap.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#1488 » by _txchilibowl_ » Sat May 23, 2020 4:39 pm

gobullschi wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

Understood. I just don't know that it'll cost to potential back-to-back #1 picks to get out from under Wiggins. I kind of doubt that the Warriors think it will either or they probably wouldn't have traded for him in the first place and just kept Russell. Time will tell...
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#1489 » by wonderboy2 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:04 pm

Find someway to trade Satos bum ass. I’d rather keep Dunn then Sato. But absolutely nobody would want Sato weak ass.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Post#1490 » by MrSparkle » Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 pm

GSW doesn't really care if they're over the cap. With Klay/Dray/Curry's contracts, they are virtually out of every free agency for the next 5 years. Wiggins is a perfectly fine contract for them to deal with - the reason they added that Russell contract to begin with was to have 1 big salary for trade flexibility. Otherwise, they'd be stuck with having to retool around their aging 3 with nothing but draft picks, MLEs and vet mins. Getting an expiring like Otto who seems to have a shaky future with his injuries would be contention suicide.

I bet they'll take their chances with Wiggins bumping his stock in the GSW system, playing 3rd fiddle to the 2 best shooters in the NBA. If an all-star is available, they'll offer Wiggins, top-5 pick and a slew of future FRPs. I personally think they're setting their sights high on a Giannis, Davis, Simmons, etc. - either trade or S&T.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1491 » by MrSparkle » Sat May 23, 2020 5:41 pm

wonderboy2 wrote:Find someway to trade Satos bum ass. I’d rather keep Dunn then Sato. But absolutely nobody would want Sato weak ass.

Ha - Well I don't think he's a complete bum, but that really was a brain-dead signing. I could see the logic in Thad (personally think he could've started over Lauri or Wendell from opening game), but Sato? After drafting Coby? And retaining Shaq, Arci, Dunn?

I actually agree. I'd rather keep Dunn.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#1492 » by gobullschi » Sat May 23, 2020 5:54 pm

MrSparkle wrote:GSW doesn't really care if they're over the cap. With Klay/Dray/Curry's contracts, they are virtually out of every free agency for the next 5 years. Wiggins is a perfectly fine contract for them to deal with - the reason they added that Russell contract to begin with was to have 1 big salary for trade flexibility. Otherwise, they'd be stuck with having to retool around their aging 3 with nothing but draft picks, MLEs and vet mins. Getting an expiring like Otto who seems to have a shaky future with his injuries would be contention suicide.

I bet they'll take their chances with Wiggins bumping his stock in the GSW system, playing 3rd fiddle to the 2 best shooters in the NBA. If an all-star is available, they'll offer Wiggins, top-5 pick and a slew of future FRPs. I personally think they're setting their sights high on a Giannis, Davis, Simmons, etc. - either trade or S&T.

Aren’t they over 30 million dollars over the cap and projected to face additional penalties for being over the cap a consecutive year?

I don’t think Philadelphia or Milwaukee has any incentive to gift GS additional championships. It’s an idea but why would they do it?
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1493 » by MrSparkle » Sat May 23, 2020 8:00 pm

gobullschi wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:GSW doesn't really care if they're over the cap. With Klay/Dray/Curry's contracts, they are virtually out of every free agency for the next 5 years. Wiggins is a perfectly fine contract for them to deal with - the reason they added that Russell contract to begin with was to have 1 big salary for trade flexibility. Otherwise, they'd be stuck with having to retool around their aging 3 with nothing but draft picks, MLEs and vet mins. Getting an expiring like Otto who seems to have a shaky future with his injuries would be contention suicide.

Aren’t they over 30 million dollars over the cap and projected to face additional penalties for being over the cap a consecutive year?

I don’t think Philadelphia or Milwaukee has any incentive to gift GS additional championships. It’s an idea but why would they do it?

Well if your UFA declares he's leaving, it's a nothing-or-something ultimatum. Plus it's Silicon Valley and not Reinsdorf. Pretty sure those guys are eager to give the core another shot at a chip, even if it costs a hundred million dollars in penalties.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#1494 » by gobullschi » Sat May 23, 2020 8:19 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

Well if your UFA declares he's leaving, it's a nothing-or-something ultimatum. Plus it's Silicon Valley and not Reinsdorf. Pretty sure those guys are eager to give the core another shot at a chip, even if it costs a hundred million dollars in penalties.

They've already won a championship with less. Let's not pretend that a Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Otto Porter Jr., and a top 10 pick isn't a championship level team along with a stockpile of future draft capital. People who have 100 million dollars laying around don't get where they are making decisions like that. Especially when a pandemic is closing thousands of businesses.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,440

Post#1495 » by samwana » Sun May 24, 2020 1:37 pm

gobullschi wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
Your over analyzing LaVine. He is an ascending young shooting guard (not point guard) and one of the future star players of the NBA. KD said LaVine will be one of the top 5 future superstars.

It’s interesting for a Bulls fan to say a player cannot improve on skills at his age after watching Jimmy Butler develop later on just a few years ago. Regardless, LaVine isn’t the problem. It’s management job to surround him with talent and so far Markkanen, Dunn, WCJ, and Porter have all failed to develop into anything. Somehow AK needs to find a way to get the Bulls their own ‘Big 3’. It certainly doesn’t start by trading LaVine for Gary Harris. What a joke.

Butler was a once in a generation ascent.

Durant was pushing for Blakeney to get signed.. That's all you need to know about Durant's knowledge

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1496 » by MrSparkle » Sun May 24, 2020 2:26 pm

gobullschi wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

They've already won a championship with less. Let's not pretend that a Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Otto Porter Jr., and a top 10 pick isn't a championship level team along with a stockpile of future draft capital. People who have 100 million dollars laying around don't get where they are making decisions like that. Especially when a pandemic is closing thousands of businesses.

The Warriors have a history of shooting high. They’re not trading a younger and healthier Wiggins for Otto who will be a resign/overpay or walk ultimatum, giving up their better pick for Chicago’s (how is Wisemen dropping to #7?). Hutchinson and Shaq are a funny consolation prize for giving up the MIN pick swap.

Again, you can do a whole lot better with Wiggins and the top-4 pick. It’s that simple.

Meanwhile, I don’t know why Chicago trades up for #1. LaMelo would not fit this roster at all. Create an even larger log-jam at guard. Effectively neuter Wendell’s and Wiggins values as non-shooters. End up with zero defensive wings whatsoever.

Just a terrible trade for both sides.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#1497 » by gobullschi » Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

The Warriors have a history of shooting high. They’re not trading a younger and healthier Wiggins for Otto who will be a resign/overpay or walk ultimatum, giving up their better pick for Chicago’s (how is Wisemen dropping to #7?). Hutchinson and Shaq are a funny consolation prize for giving up the MIN pick swap.

Again, you can do a whole lot better with Wiggins and the top-4 pick. It’s that simple.

Meanwhile, I don’t know why Chicago trades up for #1. LaMelo would not fit this roster at all. Create an even larger log-jam at guard. Effectively neuter Wendell’s and Wiggins values as non-shooters. End up with zero defensive wings whatsoever.

The way I see it the Bulls have 3 options.

1.) Attempt to sign a BIG free agent when OPJ's contract expires. This route is unlikely given the Bulls lack of success signing top free agents. It's also unlickly because there is no way AD leaves LA. There is also no way Giannis leaves Milwaukee to join rival Chicago who haven't been in the playoffs in years. Then who is left?

2. Move up in the draft for a top 3 pick. The Bulls were missing 3 starters for a LARGE chunk of the season. THREE STARTERS. If there was ever a time to move up in the draft and add a top 3 draft pick, now is the time. We won't be drafting 7 next year.

3. Your favorite route. :banghead: Trade Zach LaVine and continue to rebuild for another 10 years.

After running the proposed trade through the general trade board, it was settled that an OPJ & #7 for Wiggins & #1 was 'fair''. It gives the Bulls a young small forward, a top draft pick, and they get to keep their 2021 draft pick if things go to Hell.

Hutch and Shaq in the original proposed deal is an odd thing to fixate on.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1498 » by MrSparkle » Sun May 24, 2020 4:43 pm

gobullschi wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

1.) Attempt to sign a BIG free agent when OPJ's contract expires. This route is unlikely given the Bulls lack of success signing top free agents. It's also unlickly because there is no way AD leaves LA. There is also no way Giannis leaves Milwaukee to join rival Chicago who haven't been in the playoffs in years. Then who is left?

2. Move up in the draft for a top 3 pick. The Bulls were missing 3 starters for a LARGE chunk of the season. THREE STARTERS. If there was ever a time to move up in the draft and add a top 3 draft pick, now is the time. We won't be drafting 7 next year.

3. Your favorite route. :banghead: Trade Zach LaVine and continue to rebuild for another 10 years.

After running the proposed trade through the general trade board, it was settled that an OPJ & #7 for Wiggins & #1 was 'fair''. It gives the Bulls a young small forward, a top draft pick, and they get to keep their 2021 draft pick if things go to Hell.

I’d rather take a 5% chance on free agency or Otto’s resurgence than tying down to Wiggins for 3 years. As far as I can tell, GSW is purely managing their trade chips. They can say what they want about Wiggins’ long-term future in GS, but fact is their plan is to boost his stats and sell high, barre the very small chance the culture motivates him into stardom (about as small as our star FA odds).

I don’t want to trade Zach for a rebuild. I’d trade up with him (add picks) for a two-way all-star.

Please name me the top-3 pick who starts on this Bulls team. Would you start Edwards over Zach? LaMelo over Coby? The guy has led his NBL team to the worst record in Australia while shooting putrid percentages. Wendell is coming off a junk season, but he is barely 20 years old and if he finally gets in shape without injury setback, while Wiseman is much more impressive athlete, I don’t think his 19yo self starts over a 3rd year Wendell.

This draft sucks. There are no superstar tier prospects. They’re basically on par with the guys we have.

Unless he goes to GSW, LaMelo is not winning more than 25 games next year as a starter.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#1499 » by gobullschi » Sun May 24, 2020 5:12 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

I’d rather take a 5% chance on free agency or Otto’s resurgence than tying down to Wiggins for 3 years. As far as I can tell, GSW is purely managing their trade chips. They can say what they want about Wiggins’ long-term future in GS, but fact is their plan is to boost his stats and sell high, barre the very small chance the culture motivates him into stardom (about as small as our star FA odds).

I don’t want to trade Zach for a rebuild. I’d trade up with him (add picks) for a two-way all-star.

Please name me the top-3 pick who starts on this Bulls team. Would you start Edwards over Zach? LaMelo over Coby? The guy has led his NBL team to the worst record in Australia while shooting putrid percentages. Wendell is coming off a junk season, but he is barely 20 years old and if he finally gets in shape without injury setback, while Wiseman is much more impressive athlete, I don’t think his 19yo self starts over a 3rd year Wendell.

This draft sucks. There are no superstar tier prospects. They’re basically on par with the guys we have.

Unless he goes to GSW, LaMelo is not winning more than 25 games next year as a starter.

He is an 18 years old with elite passing and ball handling skills. Those are two skills the Bulls have a massive need for and are unusual traits for a guy pushing 6’8”. Ben Simmons can’t shoot either. Coby White could develop into a point guard, but he could also develop into a high scoring guy that comes off the bench. We just don’t know and that’s something they can figure out as things progress. Regardless, LaMelo Ball doesn’t need to start right away. The proposed (modified) deal adds a top draft pick, fill void at SF, and retain future draft picks. These young guys could always get flipped for a star later on. If it’s the Warriors strategy to flip Wiggins if he takes a step forward, why doesn’t that work for a Chicago. Your just being a grouch.

What exactly is Otto Porter’s ”resurgence” look like? C’mon. :roll:

I’m not against the free agent Hail Mary attempt but this is the trade thread. We’re just laying out options and I outlined a scenario that is plausible given the state of the NBA. Especially, IF Golden State decides they don’t want to pay 35 million dollars in penalties while businesses are getting crushed.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#1500 » by drosereturn » Sun May 24, 2020 5:35 pm

MrSparkle wrote:

Wiggins is not their long term plan. DAR, a far better player was literally dumped for a high pick.
GSW is all about shooting, and borderline star level OPJ provides way more value compared to Wiggins who cannot shoot yet takes those long midrange jumpers. If they dont trade, sure your letting Green and Steph rot and waste the cheap cost controlled talents by not properly contending.

You simply trade one of Lavine and White if you get Lamelo. Those guys are not foundational pieces and you dont choose them over a cost controlled fresh rookie. And those guys overlap way too much each other its better to get value rather than losing them for nothing. The idea of trading Lavine for a two way star is ludicrous when his contract is running out and command a max.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!

Return to Chicago Bulls