Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100%

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,648

Re: Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100% 

Post#141 » by prophet_of_rage » Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 pm

Drylick wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
Drylick wrote:
Jordan has the best combination of accolades, stats, accomplishments, winning, whatever, etc. in the NBA. Not Kareem, not Wilt.
That isn't true at all. Kareem has more points, MVPs, All-Star appearances, years played, equal championships won with two orhanisations far more blocks and rebounds, equal assist numbers, better field goal percentages.

You really want to put Wilts records up against Michael's?

Michael being the GOAT is a media line. Greatest shooting guard no debate. Greatest player is up for debate. He must be in the conversation, but it doesn't stop with just his name.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

How many trophies Michael and Kareem have? Michael's stats are almost at the top, advanced and raw stats, especially for his position. Wilt's records? Yeah, when he WILTED in the Playoffs? Go on.

Michael has the biggest argument out of all the GOAT candidates. Insecure fans of other players just don't like to admit that fact.
All he has over them is a better combination of commercials. Physically they did a lot more on the court. I know from your post you can only see this as a Lebron Jordan argument. It isn't. I couldn't care less about either.

NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,688

Re: Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100% 

Post#142 » by NbaAllDay » Sat May 23, 2020 2:06 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
batmana wrote:Win 100% of the time and it's not even close.
It has nothing to do with the stupid "if you didn't make the finals, it means you lost earlier" mantra.
Paths to the finals are not the same every year. The Spurs/Lakers/Kings/Blazers were much more feared and respected in the early 00s than the Nets even though the Nets made 2 finals. Noone in their right mind considers those Nets a better team or puts Kenyon Martin farther up the all-time rankings because he made 2 finals.
Furthermore, it was mentioned very early, losing at a later stage is so much more impactful than losing earlier. You lose in round 1 or in round 2 - f* it, it wasn't your year anyway. Losing in the finals, at the biggest stage, has much greater implications.
Also, from a fan's perspective, losing in the finals is the worst thing ever. You lose earlier, you just shrug your shoulders after a couple of days. Losing in the finals stays for you for a VERY long time.
Not if you win 5he finals every other year.

No one thinks this when you are winning every other year. The fact that people would rather LESS successful because of some BS narrative is absurd. These are the same people who ridicule Lebron for having a 3-6 record but would be more understanding if it was 3-0.
Drylick
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#143 » by Drylick » Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:All he has over them is a better combination of commercials. Physically they did a lot more on the court. I know from your post you can only see this as a Lebron Jordan argument. It isn't. I couldn't care less about either.

Jordan has more scoring titles, more Finals MVPs, he was the steals leader 3x, the highest scoring average in the Regular Season, Playoffs, and Finals. All in all, Jordan had around 70 accomplishments while Kareem is around 60. And Jordan's advanced stats dwarfs Kareem.

What Kareem have over Jordan is longevity. Stop while you're only 2 feet down.

I'll repeat, Michael has the biggest argument out of all the GOAT candidates. Insecure fans of other players just don't like to admit that fact.
Drylick
Pro Prospect

Post#144 » by Drylick » Sat May 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Alize wrote:Who cares? They were 2 positions away from winning one. But what is more important they beat the bulls season record in a more stacked league.

Drylick wrote:
Alize wrote:Didnt they beat the 73-9 Warriors, a team that is better than the 96 Bulls? Sure.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app

2016 Warriors better than the Bulls? Let me know if they won the ring. Oooppss!

What's important is WINNING THE RING. But go ahead, your mindset is that it's okay to be a second placer than be the winner. That's why you are defending LeBron. Same mindset.
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#145 » by Alize » Sat May 23, 2020 5:56 pm

The Warriors are a greater team because they won 73 wins in a more competitive era. Its not like they didnt win it in 2015 or 2017 and 2018
Drylick wrote:
Alize wrote:Who cares? They were 2 positions away from winning one. But what is more important they beat the bulls season record in a more stacked league.

Drylick wrote:
2016 Warriors better than the Bulls? Let me know if they won the ring. Oooppss!

What's important is WINNING THE RING. But go ahead, your mindset is that it's okay to be a second placer than be the winner. That's why you are defending LeBron. Same mindset.

djw
Junior
And1: 605

Post#146 » by djw » Sat May 23, 2020 6:09 pm

shakes0 wrote:
you're right, a silver medal is an accomplishment which is why they give you an actual medal for it. No one gives you **** for losing the NBA finals. No one hangs a banner for that.

No? I see those Western Conference Champion or Eastern Conference Champion banners left and right. They even give you a trophy for it. :lol:
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#147 » by KobesScarf » Sun May 24, 2020 1:43 am

This is an incredibly stupid question. Why would losing before the Finals be a good thing?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,379

Post#148 » by JonFromVA » Sun May 24, 2020 2:26 am

Drylick wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Drylick wrote:
Jordan has the best combination of accolades, stats, accomplishments, winning, whatever, etc. in the NBA. Not Kareem, not Wilt.

You'd have to get everyone to agree what the best combination of accolades, stats, accomplishments, winning, whatever was first ... then you could perhaps arrive at a conclusion and yet it would still be subjective BS.

Google what the word combination means then you can arrive at a conclusion, not your subjective BS.

Its meaningless to even compare players across generations unless your combination includes a time machine.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,794

Post#149 » by michaelm » Sun May 24, 2020 2:31 am

KobesScarf wrote:This is an incredibly stupid question. Why would losing before the Finals be a good thing?

If the NBA didn’t have a conference system fine, but there is such a system, and the team which wins a conference title but not the NBA championship is not necessarily even the second best team in the NBA that year.
Drylick
Pro Prospect

Post#150 » by Drylick » Sun May 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Alize wrote:The Warriors are a greater team because they won 73 wins in a more competitive era. Its not like they didnt win it in 2015 or 2017 and 2018
Drylick wrote:

They did not win. End of story.
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#151 » by Alize » Sun May 24, 2020 4:44 pm

Who cares? People in 20 years will see they won 2015, 2017 and 2018 AND broke the season record in 2016. Conclusion: better than 96 bulls
Drylick wrote:
Alize wrote:The Warriors are a greater team because they won 73 wins in a more competitive era. Its not like they didnt win it in 2015 or 2017 and 2018
Drylick wrote:

They did not win. End of story.

cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#152 » by cpower » Sun May 24, 2020 5:22 pm

3/9 = 50%?
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#153 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun May 24, 2020 10:27 pm

michaelm wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:This is an incredibly stupid question. Why would losing before the Finals be a good thing?

If the NBA didn’t have a conference system fine, but there is such a system, and the team which wins a conference title but not the NBA championship is not necessarily even the second best team in the NBA that year.

Nor it would be the case if you erased conferences. In a tournament style trophy you will never FULLY know who was the better team.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#154 » by Joao Saraiva » Sun May 24, 2020 10:31 pm

Making the finas obviously. Why would losing earlier rather than later would make me happy?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#155 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun May 24, 2020 10:43 pm

Nobody can call you a chocker if you make the finals every damm year and win half the time.

I guess this is related to Jordan, but I feel Jordan's 6-0 is only brought up when compared to Bron. He isn't the GOAT just based on never loosing the finals. The finals record is just a big plus, but not the reason. He'd still be the goat if he was, let's say, 6 out of 11. Loosing in the first round makes loosing less visible, but it's actually a very worse loss.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Picasso
Rookie
And1: 896

Post#156 » by Picasso » Sun May 24, 2020 11:19 pm

Kobe187 wrote:Win every time = flawless, clutch, winner, greatness.

Going to the finals but only winning Half means:
1. Your playing in a weak conference.
2. You have a good/great team but are considered a choker.
3. Have to live with what ifs for the rest of your days.

But let's say you make and win the finals 4 times in a 16 year career that means you lost 12 different seasons. That doesnt change the fact that in 16 seasons a player was a loser for 12 years.
I had to jump off the boat to walk on water.
Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Post#157 » by Suprasc1 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:19 pm

Explain your opinion
Picasso
Rookie
And1: 896

Post#158 » by Picasso » Sun May 24, 2020 11:21 pm

Also if I have a 20 year career and for to the finals 20 of them and win 10 times that means I was dominant for 20 years just took a the losses but for 10 years I dominated the league. That's pretty bad ass.
I had to jump off the boat to walk on water.
Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Post#159 » by Suprasc1 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:52 am

Picasso wrote:Also if I have a 20 year career and for to the finals 20 of them and win 10 times that means I was dominant for 20 years just took a the losses but for 10 years I dominated the league. That's pretty bad ass.

True
Spice Melange
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,318

Post#160 » by Spice Melange » Mon May 25, 2020 1:04 am

If Im a GM/Owner, Id rather win the 100% of the time assuming Im not making the playoffs the other times so i can just stock up on lottery picks and less mileage on the players on my team. If Im a player, probably the win 50% of the time because if you love basketball you'd want to be competing with the best as much as you can.
1/26/20

Return to The General Board