Jon Leuer Announces Retirement From NBA

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jon Leuer Announces Retirement From NBA 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun May 24, 2020 11:21 pm

Jon Leuer announced his retirement from the NBA in an Instagram post.

"I love the game of basketball. I still want to play, but I know deep down it’s not the right decision for my health anymore. The past 3 years I’ve dealt with a number of injuries, including 2 that kept me out this whole season. It’s taken me a while to come to grips with this, but I’m truly at peace with my decision to officially retire," wrote Leuer on Instagram.

Leuer, an eight-year veteran of the league, averaged 6.4 points and 3.8 rebounds for his career.

Leuer was most recently traded to the Bucks before last June's NBA Draft.

Via Jon Leuer

Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Re: Jon Leuer Announces Retirement From NBA 

Post#2 » by Rashidi » Mon May 25, 2020 9:16 am

The 40th Overall pick in 2011, Leuer finished his career 25th in Win Shares among the class.

Davis Bertans, the 42nd pick, is currently 27th.

Bertans is likely to secure an eight-figure multi-year deal this off-season, while Leuer retires due to injuries.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Mon May 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Did he sign with the Bucks? It says he's owed 3 million a year through 2022 per basketball reference. I must have missed that deal. I would have said the NBA retired him but that's not the case if he was walking away from money.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#4 » by grindtime22 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:23 pm

12footrim wrote:Did he sign with the Bucks? It says he's owed 3 million a year through 2022 per basketball reference. I must have missed that deal. I would have said the NBA retired him but that's not the case if he was walking away from money.

He was in the Snell trade to the Bucks

He signed a long term deal with the Pistons in 2016. He had one year left on the deal when he was traded to the Bucks in what was really a financial transaction for the Bucks. The Bucks then took the 1 year he had left and used the stretch provision to waive him and spread the remaining payment over 3 years.

He is not walking away from any money owed.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,614

Post#5 » by Slacktard » Tue May 26, 2020 2:29 am

I will never understand how he got a 4 year 42mil contract. Really? :crazy:
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#6 » by captain green » Tue May 26, 2020 7:17 am

Good bye hardly noticed ya.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#7 » by pootbrah » Tue May 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Slacktard wrote:I will never understand how he got a 4 year 42mil contract. Really? :crazy:

The cap spiked that year I think. So it was close to MLE type money.

He also was improving every year at that point and was a proven shooter. SVG kind of guy to pair up with Drummond. If it weren't for injuries, you may be calling the contract a bargain. All contracts are risks and this one didn't work out for Detroit..... Like most of there contracts this last decade. But it wasn't a shocking contract at the time with all things considered

Anyway Leuer seems like a great bloke. I wish him all the best. Hopefully he can find good health outside of basketball.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#8 » by ontnut » Tue May 26, 2020 2:56 pm

pootbrah wrote:
Slacktard wrote:I will never understand how he got a 4 year 42mil contract. Really? :crazy:

The cap spiked that year I think. So it was close to MLE type money.

He also was improving every year at that point and was a proven shooter. SVG kind of guy to pair up with Drummond. If it weren't for injuries, you may be calling the contract a bargain. All contracts are risks and this one didn't work out for Detroit..... Like most of there contracts this last decade. But it wasn't a shocking contract at the time with all things considered

Anyway Leuer seems like a great bloke. I wish him all the best. Hopefully he can find good health outside of basketball.

Basically, Detroit was poorly managed, is what you're trying to say.

Return to Wiretap Discussion