ImageImageImageImageImage

Any Smailagic believers?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Any Smailagic believers? 

Post#1 » by cdubbz » Mon May 25, 2020 2:51 am

I absolutely don't know anything about Smailagic except the Warriors really like him enough to use a 2nd round pick higher than he was projected.

What is his projection? Who are his comparisons? Do you believe he should take up a roster spot?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Re: Any Smailagic believers? 

Post#2 » by ILOVEIT » Mon May 25, 2020 3:09 am

Big time here. But clearly a longer timeframe than I thought. I thought he would be a starter by the end of this season in the injured year squad. But looks like it's another year or two before he grows into the body etc...The challenge looks like he'll be a bit slow footed....

I see him getting spot minutes next year then major minutes the following year off the bench.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#3 » by azwfan » Mon May 25, 2020 3:36 am

If he can get his 3pt jumper solid and fill out his body some, i can see a Belli type stretch big. He’s got a ways to go though. I wouldnt bet any of my own money on it happening though. He looked pretty far away this season.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#4 » by Coxy » Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 am

If you ask me for my 2020 Warriors highlight package, this is where it starts and stops.

I smile, laugh, cry and burst out in joy when watching this vid. The missed attempt was so ridiculous, he even started smirking. Then he yammed a proper jam on them later, go you good Smiley!!!!

The guys loved it.

He's clearly the next Joe Ingles.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#5 » by donkeylips » Mon May 25, 2020 8:36 am

I wish he can become the next ingles. I gotta trust our front office, so I’m still a believer
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#6 » by Mylie10 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:22 pm

He's really fun, because you dont know what he'll ro next. However Kerr hates that. He wants you to know where to be and what to do at all times.

This season was the perfect option to get him run, and get him on point and under control. We literally didnt need to try and win games. But Kerr couldn't handle it. He just couldn't bring himself to watch the kid play with the wreckless abandon without the knowledge of the offense and defense.

If Kerr had been more willing to just live with the consequences, Smiley would be much further along and potentially ready to be a piece.

Now he's in that middle ground. He's so young that you can wait a bit, but I just feel like we wasted a perfect time to bring him up to speed.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#7 » by shazam_guy » Mon May 25, 2020 7:33 pm

Kerr was doing other things besides working on Smailagic's long-term potential, even in a lost year. They had a lot of things to figure out about who might be on the team going forward, so how players fit into the Ws playing style was important.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#8 » by Mylie10 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:40 pm

They could have done both. We ran frigging Bender out there
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,271

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:42 pm

donkeylips wrote:I wish he can become the next ingles. I gotta trust our front office, so I’m still a believer

If you mean in terms of playstyle, they just aren't similar at all.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#10 » by xdrta+ » Mon May 25, 2020 10:31 pm

It was more valuable for him to get experience in Santa Cruz than to be lost on an NBA floor.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#11 » by azwfan » Tue May 26, 2020 2:06 am

xdrta+ wrote:It was more valuable for him to get experience in Santa Cruz than to be lost on an NBA floor.

Plus when we were SUPER short on guys at the beginning of the year, he was injured.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#12 » by FNQ » Tue May 26, 2020 2:37 am

I believe he's a young Brian Cardinal I guess
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#13 » by Scoots1994 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:54 am

xdrta+ wrote:It was more valuable for him to get experience in Santa Cruz than to be lost on an NBA floor.

I watched him in SC year before last ... I think he needed maximum exposure to the big team.

I'm looking forward to next year, it's a real shame they are losing all this practice time.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Scoots1994 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:56 am

I wonder what the NBAPA and the NBA would do if a player moved in with his coach at the beginning of the shelter in place so they could practice every day.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#15 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue May 26, 2020 3:01 am

azwfan wrote:

Plus when we were SUPER short on guys at the beginning of the year, he was injured.

Yeah, any criticism of Kerr in this regard is misplaced. After the season became about auditioning for next season, it was more important that we audition guys of an age and experience level that suggested they're ready to contribute immediately.

Those are the guys that aren't under contract for next season and the FO needs to know if they should be retained.

Guys that are under contract for years don't need a serious look so urgently.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Scoots1994 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
azwfan wrote:

Yeah, any criticism of Kerr in this regard is misplaced. After the season became about auditioning for next season, it was more important that we audition guys of an age and experience level that suggested they're ready to contribute immediately.

Those are the guys that aren't under contract for next season and the FO needs to know if they should be retained.

Guys that are under contract for years don't need a serious look so urgently.

That argument also presumes there is no (or limited) developmental benefit of PT in NBA games.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,560

Post#17 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue May 26, 2020 5:03 pm

I'm not ready to give up on him, if that is what you mean. I doubt we really have any idea what he will or won't become quite yet; he's a baby, and hasn't played much. They had a long time to watch him in Santa Cruz, so if they're more excited than not, that is something of a reason for optimism.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#18 » by HiRez » Tue May 26, 2020 11:56 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:I'm not ready to give up on him, if that is what you mean. I doubt we really have any idea what he will or won't become quite yet; he's a baby, and hasn't played much. They had a long time to watch him in Santa Cruz, so if they're more excited than not, that is something of a reason for optimism.

I agree, I just hope he gets the chance to play and learn, that's not easy for an end of the bench kid on a championship or bust team. I see a lot more G-League action for him. And we've had so many promising rookies that flamed out: Randolph, Diogu, Biedrins, B. Wright, McCaw, Bell...not to even mention all our busted lottery picks...I'm not expecting anything from Smailagic.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#19 » by Quazza » Wed May 27, 2020 4:03 am

babyjax13 wrote:
donkeylips wrote:I wish he can become the next ingles. I gotta trust our front office, so I’m still a believer

If you mean in terms of playstyle, they just aren't similar at all.

dam that's a wild sig :lol:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#20 » by clyde21 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:10 pm

yes, low floor but a high ceiling, really good skill set for a modern day combo big offensively without being a total negative defensively which is a huge +, wish Kerr gave him more minutes so we'd have a larger sample size but w/e

Return to Golden State Warriors