ImageImageImageImage

Orlando/Disney Frontrunner to Host NBA

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Re: Orlando/Disney Frontrunner to Host NBA 

Post#21 » by J-Mezzy » Fri May 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Games starting at noon would be sweet. Super sweet.

Also, imagine the people who work at Wide world of sports must be geeked out of their mind.

MLS also talking about doing their playoffs at Disney
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#22 » by rcklsscognition » Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 pm

If I'm reading correctly from Dimwiddie, "those last 5 games" means they're looking to play a 70-game season and start the playoffs. Our magic number would be 1 and we'd be in the playoffs. Either 1 Magic win or 1 Wizards loss. We're also guaranteed to play the Bucks in that scenario.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#23 » by j-ragg » Sat May 23, 2020 3:44 pm

70 games is definitely the NBA's goal for every team. Only big question left to me is how do they plan on getting the 14 non-playoff teams to just play a few games then call it a season.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#24 » by basketballRob » Sat May 23, 2020 4:16 pm

j-ragg wrote:70 games is definitely the NBA's goal for every team. Only big question left to me is how do they plan on getting the 14 non-playoff teams to just play a few games then call it a season.
Maybe bribe them with money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
rcklsscognition
RealGM

Post#25 » by rcklsscognition » Sat May 23, 2020 4:27 pm

Just imagine if 1 single person/player comes down with it. The whole thing would get shut down again.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#26 » by Def Swami » Sat May 23, 2020 5:20 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:Just imagine if 1 single person/player comes down with it. The whole thing would get shut down again.

Adam Silver said that if that were the case, then we shouldn't even pursue this. It sounds like the NBA's plan is the same as what the German soccer league is doing. Which is if a player tests positive, then they quarantine that player for a certain time, test everyone in contact, and resume play. The league is going to have to be tolerate positive tests for this to even work, and it seems like both players and the NBA have accepted that risk.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#27 » by MagicFan101 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:22 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:Just imagine if 1 single person/player comes down with it. The whole thing would get shut down again.

Silver already covered this. Players and teams had to agree that this would NOT happen. That person would be quarantined and so would anyone who might have caught it but they would play on.

This is why they are going to try and play in one city, limit travel parties and basically keep teams in bubbles for a shortened period of time. If **** happens it happens, you have to move on at this point. That is not my opinion, that the strategy they are going with.

This is difficult though. Leagues in other countries are trying to do the same thing to varying degrees of success and even outright failure. Let’s hope for the best.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#28 » by Def Swami » Sat May 23, 2020 6:11 pm

On Thursday's call, the league was vague in detailing several resumption scenarios still under consideration, including a modified 30-team regular-season schedule directly to the playoffs, pool-play rounds of a play-in tournament and play-in models with fewer than 30, but more than 16 teams, sources said. Several members of the league's board of governors believe that the NBA's preference isn't to bring every team to resume the season, but that remains undecided. First, the fewer teams, the fewer people at risk to spread or contract COVID-19. Also, with little chance to play more than five to seven regular season games, a month of preparation seems like an excessive investment for teams at the bottom of the standings.

And the idea of rewarding the league's very worst teams in a play-in tournament has been met with scant enthusiasm. Among the teams at the bottom of the standings, most privately want nothing more than to keep their draft lottery odds strong -- not dilute those percentages trying to win a handful of meaningless games. They're even less enthusiastic about including key, veteran players and risking injuries in those games.

Nevertheless, 30 teams completing a comparable number of regular-season games prior to the playoffs makes for a more equitable weighting of lottery odds for the NBA draft --- and gives the league a chance to maximize revenue streams for regional sports network television contracts.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29211219/teams-asking-nba-report-directly-campus-sites
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#29 » by Def Swami » Sat May 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
rcklsscognition
RealGM

Post#30 » by rcklsscognition » Sat May 23, 2020 7:38 pm

The amount of lawyer bills required for this thing to go down has got to be staggering.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#31 » by drsd » Sun May 24, 2020 7:47 am

rcklsscognition wrote:The amount of lawyer bills required for this thing to go down has got to be staggering.

This is the 1A issue in my mind. But as Disney owns ABC/ESPN and they hold the NBA contracts, after the lawyer get 10-100M in "fees", I am sure the 12,000 pages of litigation issues will be fully covered.

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#32 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun May 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Lebron has put his foot down, he wants his ring so bad!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#33 » by JF5 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:01 am

Would be cool to see the NBA back but man so many moving factors in a decision like this. With Most teams concentrated in one area its very possible that scores of teams/players could be infected. On top of that like someone said with lawsuits up the **** because of it.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#34 » by thelead » Mon May 25, 2020 3:01 am

Def Swami wrote:

Adam Silver said that if that were the case, then we shouldn't even pursue this. It sounds like the NBA's plan is the same as what the German soccer league is doing. Which is if a player tests positive, then they quarantine that player for a certain time, test everyone in contact, and resume play. The league is going to have to be tolerate positive tests for this to even work, and it seems like both players and the NBA have accepted that risk.

This doesn't make sense. If a player tests positive, that means he has exposed the entire team. If the rest of the team continues to play, and then the handful of teammates test positive after the incubation period (median is 4-5 days), now more teams (and players) have been exposed.

I don't see how this ends well if anyone tests positive.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#35 » by Def Swami » Mon May 25, 2020 3:40 pm

thelead wrote:
Def Swami wrote:

This doesn't make sense. If a player tests positive, that means he has exposed the entire team. If the rest of the team continues to play, and then the handful of teammates test positive after the incubation period (median is 4-5 days), now more teams (and players) have been exposed.

I don't disagree. This is why they had to shut the season down to begin with.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#36 » by basketballRob » Mon May 25, 2020 10:51 pm

Shams saying today that only the players that test positive will be quarantined.

rcklsscognition
RealGM

Post#37 » by rcklsscognition » Mon May 25, 2020 10:57 pm

The most interesting aspect of this is their plan if someone tests positive. I know they're saying they'll just quarantine the positive person, but it seems impossible they wouldn't have already exposed at least dozens of others by the time they test positive, even in the most controlled environment. They're really rolling the dice if they just let everyone else carry on as normal, but if those are the rules that everyone agrees to then, game on.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#38 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 pm

thelead wrote:
Def Swami wrote:

This is why other leagues around the world which have tried this have failed to reopen successfully.

Saying you will just lock down that one player at a time and accept the risk is a nice thought but then you have a second player and third and fourth and so on and soon you don’t have a team.

If they do a good job of testing everyone upfront and 100% LOCKING everyone down from the outside world during this playoff period then it might work.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#39 » by basketballRob » Mon May 25, 2020 11:28 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:The most interesting aspect of this is their plan if someone tests positive. I know they're saying they'll just quarantine the positive person, but it seems impossible they wouldn't have already exposed at least dozens of others by the time they test positive, even in the most controlled environment. They're really rolling the dice if they just let everyone else carry on as normal, but if those are the rules that everyone agrees to then, game on.
They may expose dozens, but infect no one, theirs no guarantee. We saw it played out in the White House. They get temperature checked and coronavirus tests daily and 2 people have tested positive.

I think i remember Silver saying many more players have tested positive than they have publicly disclosed. It's possible a good percentage of them have antibodies.

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#40 » by thelead » Tue May 26, 2020 12:06 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
thelead wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Adam Silver said that if that were the case, then we shouldn't even pursue this. It sounds like the NBA's plan is the same as what the German soccer league is doing. Which is if a player tests positive, then they quarantine that player for a certain time, test everyone in contact, and resume play. The league is going to have to be tolerate positive tests for this to even work, and it seems like both players and the NBA have accepted that risk.

This is why other leagues around the world which have tried this have failed to reopen successfully.

Saying you will just lock down that one player at a time and accept the risk is a nice thought but then you have a second player and third and fourth and so on and soon you don’t have a team.

If they do a good job of testing everyone upfront and 100% LOCKING everyone down from the outside world during this playoff period then it might work.

Unless they plan on growing their own food in the locked down environment, I'm not sure anything is a guarantee for a successful reopening. 'Outsiders' will have some form of contact with the locked down group.

Return to Orlando Magic