ImageImageImage

Woj: Pistons Begin Search for New General Manager

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,351

Woj: Pistons Begin Search for New General Manager 

Post#1 » by WuTang_OG » Tue May 26, 2020 2:17 pm

The Detroit Pistons are opening a search to hire a general manager to work with senior advisor Ed Stefanski, sources tell ESPN.

Detroit plans to begin contacting potential candidates to start an interview process this week, sources said.

Stefanski will be working with Pistons and Palace Sports Vice Chairman Arn Tellem on the process to hire a GM, sources said.

The new GM will work closely with Stefanski and coach Dwane Casey on personnel matters. Stefanski and Casey were hired in 2018.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29222943/sources-pistons-starting-search-gm-work-ed-stefanski
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Re: Woj: Pistons Begin Search for New General Manager 

Post#2 » by bstein14 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:52 pm

I'm surprised that Arn Tellem isn't just taking over this job.

Former Piston? Former coach? Former GM? Or someone new.... will be interesting to see what route we go. Maybe we can hire Giannis' uncle to be our GM. :)
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#3 » by DCintheD » Tue May 26, 2020 2:55 pm

wasn't this supposed to happen 2 years ago?

Very confused about the Arn Tellum/Ed Stefanski roles.

Does Malik Rose get promoted to GM? Thought he was being groomed for the role.

Everything about this organization confuses me.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#4 » by BJK1 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:06 pm

If they’re looking outside of the organization, either Adam Simon or Shane Battier from Miami’s front office should get consideration. That front office has done an outstanding job of identifying talent through the draft.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 180

Post#5 » by JNewton » Tue May 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Sam Hinkie please.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,873

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm

What could possibly go wrong? Gores is got this under control
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,762

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Tue May 26, 2020 3:16 pm

This is such a weird organization.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 180

Post#8 » by JNewton » Tue May 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Snakebites wrote:This is such a weird organization.

When the owner is a cokehead, this is what you get. Hopefully he cashes out soon. Even with the Pistons being one of the least valuable franchises, they're still worth something along the lines of 3 times what he paid for them.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,762

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Tue May 26, 2020 3:22 pm

JNewton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:This is such a weird organization.

When the owner is a cokehead, this is what you get. Hopefully he cashes out soon. Even with the Pistons being one of the least valuable franchises, they're still worth something along the lines of 3 times what he paid for them.

Nobody is gonna buy an NBA team for a while now.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,675

Post#10 » by Invictus88 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:06 pm

This might not be realistic but the only reason I can think of for the 2 year wait on hiring a GM is the realization of how hopeless of a situation we were in.

No good GM in their right mind would accept a job just to rot for 2-3 years waiting for salaries to clear with no building blocks to speak of.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#11 » by DBC10 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:54 pm

I'd prefer someone younger and relatively new on the stage instead of the old guards like the Ed's and Casey's of the world. And really, Ed hasn't don't much to really earn the job to begin with either. He's likely retiring shortly after this.

But back to the real point. This is why it's crucial to hire someone that can actually navigate this mess we're in. An albatross contract with barely any building blocks to show for it except our own picks. Not exactly a great opportunity for any good GM to just come in and make their imprint. Any gm that comes in is literally starting from the ground up until that contract expires. Established GMs will steer clear from us for the time being. Which is why hiring someone long term is even more important.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,873

Post#12 » by MotownMadness » Tue May 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Should we give Billups a chance? Dont want him messing up our draft pick though after hearing his player comparisons on ESPN
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,942

Post#13 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue May 26, 2020 6:36 pm

DBC10 wrote:I'd prefer someone younger and relatively new on the stage instead of the old guards

I'll take the job.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#14 » by coordinator0 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Tony Ronzone please.
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#15 » by pistonpat » Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 pm

All the good young candidates took themselves out of the running two years ago when they found out Stefankis was going to be involved. Now two years later the reports say this GM will still report to Ed with the host of other asset. Gms we have. What good candidate is going to want this set up. Probably will be some handpicked old guard or son of some old guard Art and Ed know.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#16 » by flow » Tue May 26, 2020 11:56 pm

What a joke.

the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#17 » by the_l_train » Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 pm

pistonpat wrote:All the good young candidates took themselves out of the running two years ago when they found out Stefankis was going to be involved.

Was this actually rumored somewhere? I believe you, but just curious.

...and whatever happened to Malik Rose stepping into the role?
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#18 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed May 27, 2020 12:10 am

Stefanski is getting ready to recommend himself again after another meticulous search.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#19 » by Manocad » Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 am

DBC10 wrote:I'd prefer someone younger and relatively new on the stage instead of the old guards like the Ed's and Casey's of the world. And really, Ed hasn't don't much to really earn the job to begin with either. He's likely retiring shortly after this.

But back to the real point. This is why it's crucial to hire someone that can actually navigate this mess we're in. An albatross contract with barely any building blocks to show for it except our own picks. Not exactly a great opportunity for any good GM to just come in and make their imprint. Any gm that comes in is literally starting from the ground up until that contract expires. Established GMs will steer clear from us for the time being. Which is why hiring someone long term is even more important.

I'm not sure I agree with this logic. First, you get nearly a free pass for two years relative to team success, you'd just better do well on your draft picks. And if you're actually good at your job, you will. Second, you get to reap all the glory if you're truly good at your job and turn the team into a true contender.

Believe it or not, there are still people out there who actually want a challenge and to build their own thing rather than step into something that's a whisker away from success.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#20 » by DBC10 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 am

Manocad wrote:
DBC10 wrote:I'd prefer someone younger and relatively new on the stage instead of the old guards like the Ed's and Casey's of the world. And really, Ed hasn't don't much to really earn the job to begin with either. He's likely retiring shortly after this.

I'm not sure I agree with this logic. First, you get nearly a free pass for two years relative to team success, you'd just better do well on your draft picks. And if you're actually good at your job, you will. Second, you get to reap all the glory if you're truly good at your job and turn the team into a true contender.

Believe it or not, there are still people out there who actually want a challenge and to build their own thing rather than step into something that's a whisker away from success.

Oh for sure. That's why I mentioned the youth aspect of GM hunting for this time around. Someone that literally is getting his feet wet. Instead of the old retreads that's been only there due to past experience and very mixed results. Guys like Ed.

But in that same token, I doubt any of the talented GMs like the Moreys (if he gets fired) and Hinkies of the world would really come here. They've already tasted the thrill of the pure bottom up approach to rebuilding with their respective teams. There needs to be more than just the challenge for them at this point in their careers. That's all I'm saying.

Return to Detroit Pistons