2020-2021 Nuggets Roster?

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

2020-2021 Nuggets Roster? 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:59 am

Just trying to figure out what our roster is going to look like. (And I'm sorta' happy with what we have - overall.) What I'm seeing is 2 centers and 4 forwards and 4 guards with 3 of our own free agents. As far as draft picks go, we all know Malone isn't going to give a rookie much playing time and with this roster, they'd have to really be something special to deserve playing time. We also have slots available to sign free agents.

Centers
Jokic - heart of the Nuggets, but let's stop expecting him to become a big-time scorer. Here's hoping he doesn't change a thing.

Bol - can he be our backup center? He's different, he won't be a physical beast but he can stretch the floor and handle the ball. It looks like his defense is similar to Jokic's - better than statistics and not traditional (whatever that means).

Forwards
Grant - a player's option. Will he stay on his current contract? It might be wise due to the financial impact of covid-19. If he exercises his choice to go free agent, will the Nuggets re-sign him? I think so. IMO he didn't really get a fair shot to show his best yet. In OKC, his best offense was corner 3s plus his athleticism. His defense is nice because he can switch onto almost anybody - with varying degrees of success. What's really nice is that he can actually play both forward slots.

Porter - health, health, health. Sure, Malone doesn't like rookies but Porter had injury issues and not just his back. If he's ready to play, he might be Murray's contender for #1 scorer. What's really nice is that he can actually play both forward slots.

Bates-Diop - like rookies, Malone isn't likely to use a young player acquired in the middle of the year, so we didn't see much of his play. His defense is better than Porter's and his offense is decent. What's really nice is that he can actually play both forward slots.

Cancar - has a nice game, from what we've seen. But it doesn't seem like he'll get much playing time, although he just might be able to step up in case of injuries. His game is similar to Jokic's in that he depends on his intelligence more so than athletic ability.

Guards
Harris - can he re-acquire his game? His defense has kept him in the starting line-up, but we need more offense from a shooting guard.

Barton - IMO it's time to stop calling Barton a forward. Malone says he is a defensive-oriented coach and Barton's defense is not the best, except for the occasional very special play. He tends to be out of position and allows players to fly past him all too often. But against the average NBA small forward, Barton is just too small to play decent defense no matter how hard he tries. If Barton plays shooting guard (and please keep him away from point guard, he doesn't have PG handles), he can provide the offense Harris hasn't been showing.

Murray - nobody will be surprised to hear the word "consistency". IMO Murray needs to start playing like he's the #1 scorer, because that's what his game shows he can be. He seems to still play like a young player that is deferring to others. Jokic wants to feed others and Murray can really become great IMO - but only if he asserts himself.

Morris - he deserves a shot to get serious playing time and maybe even be a starter. Unfortunately he won't be starting in Denver and as long as Malone things Barton is a point guard, he's not going to get a shot at much playing time. He can play both guard slots on both ends of the court. I'd love to see him on the Nuggets, but he might be of more value if we trade him - just not sure where or for what.

Free Agents
Millsap - I've enjoyed having him on the Nuggets and his contributions have been great. He's a very nice fit next to Jokic IMO. However, even if he's willing to take a major, major cut in pay; if the Nuggets bring him back, I'm afraid Malone will depend on him too much and our younger forwards won't be at their best. It just seems that if the Nuggets are going to be able to contend for a title, they are going to need someone else at power forward. {{{Just don't look at his statistics when you read that, because stats say I am wrong. :lol: }}}

Craig - his offense is streaky but his defense is solid. He makes a very nice bench player but I just don't see him as a regular part of the rotation --- but if there are injuries, he can definitely step up. What's really nice is that he can actually play both some power forward and some shooting guard. I do hope we re-sign him!

Dozier - Is he a point guard? Nice assist-to-turnover ratio and decent handles. Can he play shooting guard? 3pt shooting is a little weak but he hasn't had a decent shot at proving himself. His PG mentality is to allow others to shoot. But his defense looks like he can play 3 or 4 slots - being 6'6" with a nearly 7' wingspan. I'd love to see him on the team. His young and hopefully he develops nicely.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Re: 2020-2021 Nuggets Roster? 

Post#2 » by TunaFish » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:09 pm

This is going to sound like last off season but they still have to decide on Millsap. Hopefully, he comes back cheap. I think they try to resign Grant who looks like the future at power forward. Although, there may be some competition for Grant.

Plumlee is a question mark because of his salary. Bol is IMHO a back up power forward and if they let Plumlee go, they will need a backup center.

Craig will be cheap so they are likely to keep him. Morris will be back, too.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:17 pm

C - Jokic, Bol
PF - Grant, Millsap, Cancar
SF - Porter Jr, Bates-Diop, Craig
SG - Harris, Barton, Devin Vassell (1st)
PG - Murray, Morris, Dozier

Look (hope) for one of the italicized guys (Barton ?) to be traded to move up in this draft for Vassell.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:18 am

skywalker33 wrote:C - Jokic, Bol

Look (hope) for one of the italicized guys (Barton ?) to be traded to move up in this draft for Vassell.

:rockon:
I love it but I doubt Malone will start Grant over Millsap - but I love the way you think!
skywalker33

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:C - Jokic, Bol

:rockon:
I love it but I doubt Malone will start Grant over Millsap - but I love the way you think!

You don't know that about Malone, seeing Millsap slowing down, it's right in front of his eyes. Also, it's a way to keep PM's minutes down, extending his 2+1(TO) extension he'll probably get. It's not like Grant is a rookie, Malone will need to see what we've got if Grant resigns her for some bigger bucks !!

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#6 » by The Rebel » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Is anybody else just not feeling to excited about this coming offseason? I don't know if they will finish this season, but either way I am not feeling positive about this team at all. I lost what positivism I had at the deadline when they basically gave away Beasley and Juancho while keeping Barton and Harris.

I try to think about what Malone is going to want, because no matter what the front office does Malone is only going to play who he wants to play, and that means defensive guys regardless of their offense outside of the stars.

I still hope they move at least Barton, bring back Craig, Dozier, and Bates-Diop. Maybe draft another SG/SF and force Malone to play MPJ.

I am not sure that Bol is going to be ready to play 15 minutes a game at Center, he was not even doing that in the Gleague. I would not mind if they brought in a guy like Baynes on a partial MLE deal with 2 years guaranteed. That way Bol would have this year to get ready and if he unseats Baynes in a year we have a good expiring deal we can move.

I would like to see Millsap come back, but I just do not see it happening if we bring back Grant. Maybe we can pick up a guy like Kaminsky with the other half of the MLE, and than take a flyer on Giles who had his option declined in Sacremento.

That would give us
Murray/ Morris/ Dozier
Harris/ Craig/
MPJ/ KDB/ draft pick
Grant/ Kaminsky/ Giles
Jokic/ Baynes/ Bol
skywalker33

Post#7 » by skywalker33 » Fri May 1, 2020 3:24 am

The Rebel wrote:Is anybody else just not feeling to excited about this coming offseason? I don't know if they will finish this season, but either way I am not feeling positive about this team at all. I lost what positivism I had at the deadline when they basically gave away Beasley and Juancho while keeping Barton and Harris.

I try to think about what Malone is going to want, because no matter what the front office does Malone is only going to play who he wants to play, and that means defensive guys regardless of their offense outside of the stars.

I still hope they move at least Barton, bring back Craig, Dozier, and Bates-Diop. Maybe draft another SG/SF and force Malone to play MPJ.

I am not sure that Bol is going to be ready to play 15 minutes a game at Center, he was not even doing that in the Gleague. I would not mind if they brought in a guy like Baynes on a partial MLE deal with 2 years guaranteed. That way Bol would have this year to get ready and if he unseats Baynes in a year we have a good expiring deal we can move.

I would like to see Millsap come back, but I just do not see it happening if we bring back Grant. Maybe we can pick up a guy like Kaminsky with the other half of the MLE, and than take a flyer on Giles who had his option declined in Sacremento.

That would give us
Murray/ Morris/ Dozier
Harris/ Craig/
MPJ/ KDB/ draft pick
Grant/ Kaminsky/ Giles
Jokic/ Baynes/ Bol

I agree with you about Bol, 15-17 mins a games seems to be a good starting point, maybe a few of those mins at PF. Baynes is a great choice to support Jokic too,toughness he'd bring would be solid.

Love the idea of Giles, he brings talent and versatility, perhaps Malone can put the fire under his butt.

I'm not as big on Kaminsky as you are but it's pretty easy to see Millsap isn't likely to return so we'll need a backup.

And I like the idea of using our 1st on a swing candidate like Aaron Nesmith or Tyler Bey

skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 pm

Interesting thought, if the NBA brings back the Amnesty Option, do we use it ? Harris...Barton ??

Don't see us doing it but interesting to contemplate in the slow times.

Anyone hear anything about the training cap opening here ?

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#9 » by Coeur » Wed May 20, 2020 10:12 pm

I love how giddy everyone is at the same roster. But prob losing Plumlee and TC. AND prob Grant. All because it was so important to have Gary Harris and Millsap.

If you’re not getting better you’re getting.....

Hope this Nugs roster hasn’t already peaked. Harris and Barton got a whole lot more difficult to trade.

Remember how valuable this board saw Harris and millsap a year ago?? Hitting hard on the draft pick is critical this year without roster flexibility
skywalker33

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Coeur wrote:I love how giddy everyone is at the same roster. But prob losing Plumlee and TC. AND prob Grant. All because it was so important to have Gary Harris and Millsap.

If you’re not getting better you’re getting.....

Hope this Nugs roster hasn’t already peaked. Harris and Barton got a whole lot more difficult to trade.

Remember how valuable this board saw Harris and millsap a year ago?? Hitting hard on the draft pick is critical this year without roster flexibility

Making stuff up again just to cause dissension ??

Word I hear is they're keep looking to keep Grant and TC. Plumlee will probably move on because the Nuggets won't be able to afford him and another team will pay him plus Bol might get some PT w/o Plumdog here. I heard Harris has already been offered in trade rumor, even as part of the Beasley trade last year, so keeping Harris ins't set in stone but we all know Malone and the FO like him. Millsap seems unlikely to get a big contract here, but I could see him signing if it's reasonable, he's still a valuable player, one you OBVIOUSLY dislike (not that anyone cares). Then again, we do already have some good young forwards in MPJ, KBD, TC and Grant when he signs, even Bol can play some F if needed.

As for the draft pick, we have a decent drafting history but calling PT for a rookie on this squad critical is just plain STUPID (unless they get a great shooter like Nesmith or Bey ) I really don't see him breaking the rotation w/o injuries.

My hope...is you to try posting something positive or just STFU....but chance of that are about the same as our draft pick starting this year.

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#11 » by TunaFish » Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 pm

I see Millsap's decline inevitable but he still can play at the least from the bench. I can't see any team offering him a big contract to leave the Nuggets. It's these circumstances that give the Nuggets an opportunity to resign him on a value level contract.

That means the Nuggets are looking for a starting power forward and they will look at Grant first but who knows who might pop up in free agency or by trade. I am betting on Grant returning.

The real issue is whether Michael Porter Jr. is ready to move into the starting lineup.
Canned in Denver.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#12 » by jayu70 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Hawks fan here. If Grant opts out and becomes a FA, how much is Denver willing to pay to keep him?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Tue May 26, 2020 1:13 am

jayu70 wrote:Hawks fan here. If Grant opts out and becomes a FA, how much is Denver willing to pay to keep him?

With the new situation, it's hard to say. Just consider what Denver traded to get him. Then consider that he is our probably starter (which players love). It's possible a team could negotiate a deal with him that Denver won't match because he isn't a top-2 player for us and probably not top-3.

If Atlanta is interested, does that mean they are wanting him off the bench or do they want to replace Collins?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#14 » by jayu70 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:25 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Hawks fan here. If Grant opts out and becomes a FA, how much is Denver willing to pay to keep him?

With the new situation, it's hard to say. Just consider what Denver traded to get him. Then consider that he is our probably starter (which players love). It's possible a team could negotiate a deal with him that Denver won't match because he isn't a top-2 player for us and probably not top-3.

If Atlanta is interested, does that mean they are wanting him off the bench or do they want to replace Collins?

Off the Bench at SF/PF, we have ample minutes at both spots. Hawks have $49 million in capspace to offer a lucrative deal.
skywalker33

Post#15 » by skywalker33 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:56 am

That's presuming the cap stays the same next season.

psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#16 » by psimanic1 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:23 pm

I think we will be in for some S&T with those guys that will become FA
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Tue May 26, 2020 10:04 pm

jayu70 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Off the Bench at SF/PF, we have ample minutes at both spots. Hawks have $49 million in capspace to offer a lucrative deal.

Well, Denver is more likely to be a contender and Grant is likely to start in Denver. Most players prefer to start and if the minutes are the same, most of them prefer to play for a contender. Plus, starters usually get more money. So it seems likely Grant will stay in Denver - unless Atlanta has one heck of a salesman.
skywalker33

Post#18 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 2:53 am

Looks like Grant is leaning towards opting out of his PO, interesting decision to be made by the Nuggets FO

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Jun 4, 2020 10:58 pm

Our free agents:

G: Troy Daniels (unrestricted) ------- not sure they re-sign him but I'm okay either way.
G:Jordan McRae (unrestricted) ------ not sure they re-sign him but I'm okay either way.
F: Torrey Craig (restricted) ----------- I expect the Nuggets will want to re-sign him and I expect he will.
F: Jerami Grant (player option) ----- I expect the Nuggets will want to re-sign him and I expect he will.
F: Paul Millsap (unrestricted) -------- I expect the Nuggets will want to re-sign him and I expect he will.
F: Noah Vonleh (unrestricted) ------- not sure they re-sign him but I'm okay either way.
F/C: Mason Plumlee (unrestricted) - I suspect he will want to re-sign and believe the Nuggets will want to re-sign him. But if another team offers enough, and that could happen, I have no doubt he will give serious consideration to leaving - but I don't think money will be his only consideration.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#20 » by psimanic1 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 10:34 pm

Didnt we release Jordan?

Return to Denver Nuggets