ImageImageImageImage

Orlando/Disney Frontrunner to Host NBA

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Re: Orlando/Disney Frontrunner to Host NBA 

Post#41 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:53 am

thelead wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
thelead wrote:This doesn't make sense. If a player tests positive, that means he has exposed the entire team. If the rest of the team continues to play, and then the handful of teammates test positive after the incubation period (median is 4-5 days), now more teams (and players) have been exposed.

I don't see how this ends well if anyone tests positive.

This is why other leagues around the world which have tried this have failed to reopen successfully.

Saying you will just lock down that one player at a time and accept the risk is a nice thought but then you have a second player and third and fourth and so on and soon you don’t have a team.

If they do a good job of testing everyone upfront and 100% LOCKING everyone down from the outside world during this playoff period then it might work.

Unless they plan on growing their own food in the locked down environment, I'm not sure anything is a guarantee for a successful reopening. 'Outsiders' will have some form of contact with the locked down group.

The virus can only live on surfaces for 24-48 hours depending on the type (glass tends to hold it best). If they clean it the surface upon deliver then that ends the story.

So that solves the food delivery problem. Just store it or clean it and keep chefs on site.

They’re going to have to hire an entire small community and keep them there for this event. Probably deliver enough food and supplies at the start.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,707

Post#42 » by thelead » Tue May 26, 2020 2:16 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
thelead wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
This is why other leagues around the world which have tried this have failed to reopen successfully.

Saying you will just lock down that one player at a time and accept the risk is a nice thought but then you have a second player and third and fourth and so on and soon you don’t have a team.

If they do a good job of testing everyone upfront and 100% LOCKING everyone down from the outside world during this playoff period then it might work.

Unless they plan on growing their own food in the locked down environment, I'm not sure anything is a guarantee for a successful reopening. 'Outsiders' will have some form of contact with the locked down group.

The virus can only live on surfaces for 24-48 hours depending on the type (glass tends to hold it best). If they clean it the surface upon deliver then that ends the story.

So that solves the food delivery problem. Just store it or clean it and keep chefs on site.

They’re going to have to hire an entire small community and keep them there for this event. Probably deliver enough food and supplies at the start.

No disagreement there but I don't see that level of commitment happening.

Although, being bounced from the playoffs would be like regaining your freedom :lol:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#43 » by drsd » Tue May 26, 2020 4:05 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Lebron has put his foot down, he wants his ring so bad!

I look forward to a playoff-plus format where the West hammers itself and the Magic and Nets coast to determining the 7-8 seed line. Then as most teams are out of whack, Orlando goes on to win the title.

Then for the annals of history, the Magic will be the ASTERISK champion. But still champion nevertheless.

drsd
RealGM

Post#44 » by drsd » Tue May 26, 2020 6:55 pm

The 20 teams would be allocated into five tiers in descending order by record.

Tier 1: Bucks, Lakers, Raptors, Clippers
Tier 2: Celtics, Nuggets, Jazz, Heat
Tier 3: Thunder, Rockets, Pacers, Sixers
Tier 4: Mavericks, Grizzlies, Nets, Magic
Tier 5: Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, Spurs

What an innovative way to keep the Spurs playoff streak going!

rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#45 » by rcklsscognition » Tue May 26, 2020 9:16 pm

This feels like soccer. I like it.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#46 » by TheGlyde » Tue May 26, 2020 10:15 pm

Why not invite the top 12 teams from each conference to Disney...

Scrap the bottom 6 teams for safety reasons/less testing needed and they have no incentive to get in game shape anyway as they were tanking.

Seed a 'pre-playoff' series 1 vs 12, 2 vs 11, 3 vs 10, 4 vs 9, 5 vs 8, 6 vs 7 and play a 7 game series to help top 24 teams get local TV money and get players into playing shape.

The 6 series winners progress to the first round of the actual playoffs, and the top 2 seeded losing teams also progress.

After the first round series (2 weeks), 8 teams go home, meaning less testing needed, smaller bubble etc.

Teams get re-seeded after the pre-playoff round (two losing teams in pre-playoff round get seeds 7 & 8) to take into account regular season record plus games in the pre-playoff series to help lock in standings.

This protects the top 2 seeds in each conference if they get upset in the pre-playoff round after having a great regular season thus far, and gives the teams 9-12 a chance to get into the playoffs if they can get it together against a strong team.

The fact that it would mean Orlando would play the Pacers in the pre-playoff and if they lost and there were no upsets they would progress to the actual playoffs is purely co-incidental :P (If this occurred they would still have to play the Bucks in the actual playoffs).

If you want you can adjust the above idea to make it seeded 1-24 league wide regardless of East/West conference... This would put the #16 Magic up against the #9 seed OKC, and again if there were no upsets the Magic would scrape in as one of 4 best seeded losers and play the Bucks.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
drsd
RealGM

Post#47 » by drsd » Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 am

TheGlyde wrote:Why not invite the top 12 teams from each conference to Disney....

a) the top 12 Western teams are as good as the top 8 Eastern teams = 20 teams. That is objective on standings as they are today.

b) you propose to add 4 Eastern teams that are not as good as "other" Western teams.
Specifically you are questioning the "why not" addition of the Washington Wizards, the Charlotte Hornets, the Chicago Bulls, and the New York Knicks.

b-ii) Adding the Bulls and Knicks over the Pistons, Hawks, and Cavs is arbitrary, as if the season is played out, all six of those teams could easily lose-the-East.

b-iii) to add Wizards, Hornets, Bulls, and Knicks, but leave out the Suns would be odd.

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#48 » by Def Swami » Wed May 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Read on Twitter
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#49 » by TheGlyde » Wed May 27, 2020 10:22 pm

drsd wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:Why not invite the top 12 teams from each conference to Disney....

a) the top 12 Western teams are as good as the top 8 Eastern teams = 20 teams. That is objective on standings as they are today.

b) you propose to add 4 Eastern teams that are not as good as "other" Western teams.
Specifically you are questioning the "why not" addition of the Washington Wizards, the Charlotte Hornets, the Chicago Bulls, and the New York Knicks.

b-ii) Adding the Bulls and Knicks over the Pistons, Hawks, and Cavs is arbitrary, as if the season is played out, all six of those teams could easily lose-the-East.

b-iii) to add Wizards, Hornets, Bulls, and Knicks, but leave out the Suns would be odd.

Well, I also said if you wanted (since travel isn't an issue), you could invite the top 24 teams league wide and seed them 1-24.

Bringing in 24 teams over 20 just meant an extra 4 teams fanbases have something to watch, and those teams get local TV money.

Cutting it down from 24 teams to 16 (instead of 20 to 8) after the non playoff round
1) worked more evenly in a traditional bracket sense of only having 2 teams who lose the pre-playoff go through and
2) Keeps more teams/fanbases engaged for longer.

But perhaps the scheduling issues of having the full 4 rounds of 7 game series will push back the start of next season too far.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
drsd
RealGM

Post#50 » by drsd » Thu May 28, 2020 8:30 am

TheGlyde wrote:Well, I also said if you wanted (since travel isn't an issue), you could invite the top 24 teams league wide and seed them 1-24.

Bringing in 24 teams over 20 just meant an extra 4 teams fanbases have something to watch, and those teams get local TV money.

Cutting it down from 24 teams to 16 (instead of 20 to 8) after the non playoff round
1) worked more evenly in a traditional bracket sense of only having 2 teams who lose the pre-playoff go through and
2) Keeps more teams/fanbases engaged for longer.

But perhaps the scheduling issues of having the full 4 rounds of 7 game series will push back the start of next season too far.

At some point I think the NBA needs to be serious with the BS Simmons idea that the top-7 teams go to the playoffs and the bottom 8-teams play in an NCAA-style 1-game elimination tourney to get the 8-seed.

Right now: that would have the Magic as the 1-seed in this tourney playing the Cavs at the 8-seed; the Wizards-2 vs. the Hawks-7; Hornets-3 vs. Pistons-6, and Bulls-4 vs Knicks-5. The winner would have played 3 games to "qualify" for the real playoffs, and thus the top-7 teams would get something 3-days rest. But all fans would always know there is some-hope to be a playoff team and all players would always play to win in all games. Even very late season games.

Not for this year, but the concept would generate fan interest and ratings: AND critically, kill tanking as a concept.
(( plus the difference of being the best division team vs. 2nd best becomes HUGE. So even up top, teams could not rest stars late season )).

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,598

Post#51 » by SOUL » Fri May 29, 2020 9:37 pm

I don't want an 8th seed play in selfishly because I know we had like 5 easy ass games before the Corona stuff happened, and we still h had to play the Nets twice. Could've easily gotten 7th.
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 484

Post#52 » by TheChaser » Sat May 30, 2020 1:23 pm

SOUL wrote:I don't want an 8th seed play in selfishly because I know we had like 5 easy ass games before the Corona stuff happened, and we still h had to play the Nets twice. Could've easily gotten 7th.

My sentiments exactly.
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
drsd
RealGM

Post#53 » by drsd » Sat May 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Well it looks like we are to either get 22 teams to finish the regular season to have a normal 16-team playoff; or a 20-tean mixed playoff.

I guess I I am ok with either from an Orlando perspective. Anything that leads to NOT_Bucks in round-1 is fine by me.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#54 » by rcklsscognition » Sat May 30, 2020 9:56 pm

In a survey of all 30 general managers, which was viewed by ESPN, 16 said they would prefer the league come back with just the typical 16 playoff teams, with the teams and seedings based on the standings when the season was suspended March 12.

That was one of four potential return-to-play options presented, and it earned more votes than the other three options combined:

• Resume the regular season with all 30 teams followed by a play-in tournament (8 votes);

• Go straight to the playoffs with either a play-in tournament or a World Cup-style group stage (5 votes);

• Resume the regular season with all 30 teams and then go straight to the playoffs (1 vote).
drsd
RealGM

Post#55 » by drsd » Mon Jun 1, 2020 4:43 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:In a survey of all 30 general managers, which was viewed by ESPN, 16 said they would prefer the league come back with just the typical 16 playoff teams, with the teams and seedings based on the standings when the season was suspended March 12.

Look, 16 teams that are in the playoffs by standings want NO MORE teams in the playoffs. And then 14 teams not in the playoffs believe that there should be some number of additional teams in the playoffs (e.g. Washington would support no more than 20, as guess what, that is the number for them to get in). I am very confident the Warriors made a passionate case for letting all 30 teams in a mega playoff pool. ((Heck I wouldn't have been surprised if the Bucks and the Lakers proposed to have a 2-team Finals as the only re-entry process )).

This is why Adam Silver will ignore GM views. Their "vote" is way beyond biased.

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#56 » by Def Swami » Tue Jun 2, 2020 9:07 pm

Read on Twitter
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#57 » by J-Mezzy » Tue Jun 2, 2020 10:09 pm

Love it
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#58 » by J-Mezzy » Tue Jun 2, 2020 10:12 pm

Though i imagine next season wouldn't start by Christmas
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#59 » by basketballRob » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:03 pm

That'll be interesting. Maybe a team could win the lottery and championship in the same year. Unless they just let the bottom 8 be in the lottery and the rest in order of their record.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#60 » by Tarheel » Wed Jun 3, 2020 9:15 am

Disadvantages us a bit - our easy schedule to end the season gets a lot harder if they resume without the bottom 8 teams (7 of our 17 remaining games were against the Bulls x 2, Hornets x 2, Cavs, Pistons and Knicks as well as two huge games against the Nets). Hopefully we can still get to the 7 seed and get the Raptors in the first round rather than a play-in followed by the Bucks.

In any event, really excited that there's real momentum towards the season resuming now. If the proposed resumption is unfair to some teams, so be it. We're in the middle of a pandemic so suck it up and accept that compromises need to be made for the sake of a safer environment.

Return to Orlando Magic