Re: Michael Jordan On Tape Admitting He Told Rod Thorn He Wouldn't Play With Isiah Thomas

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Michael Jordan On Tape Admitting He Told Rod Thorn He Wouldn't Play With Isiah Thomas 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 26, 2020 4:07 pm

Audio of Michael Jordan has been published by Jack McMullum saying he wouldn't play for the United States in the Olympics if Isiah Thomas was also on the team.

"Rod Thorn called me, and I said, 'Rod, I won't play if Isiah Thomas is on the team,'" Jordan said in a 2011 interview.

"[Thorn] assured me," Jordan said. "He said, 'You know what? Chuck doesn't want Isiah. So, Isiah is not going to be part of the team.'"

Jordan contended in an interview in "The Last Dance" that he didn't influence the selection or omission of Thomas.

"Before the '92 Olympics, Rod Thorn calls me and says, 'We would love for you to be on the Dream Team,' Jordan said in the documentary. "I say, 'Who's all playing?' He says, 'What does that mean?' I say, 'Who's all playing?' He says, 'Well, the guy you're talking about or you're thinking about, he's not going to be playing.'

"I respect Isiah Thomas' talent. To me, the best point guard of all time is Magic Johnson and right behind him is Isiah Thomas. No matter how much I hate him, I respect his game. Now, it was insinuated that I was asking about him, but I never threw his name in there."

Thorn backed up Jordan's account.

Via ESPN

Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
And1: 499

Re: Michael Jordan On Tape Admitting He Told Rod Thorn He Wouldn't Play With Isiah Thomas 

Post#2 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Tue May 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Busted!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

These fools being lying like the devil even though back in the day it was said that Jordan didn't want to play with Isiah on the team so why lie now? The kicker is that Chuck Daley didn't want Isiah on the team. :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

The Last Dance was nothing more than one big PR spin in the wind for Jordan's image. :nod: :nod: :nod:
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Post#3 » by kenwood3333 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:35 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:BThe kicker is that Chuck Daley didn't want Isiah on the team. :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

I think Jordan was referring to Charles Barkley not Chuck Daley.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#4 » by donemilio21 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:03 pm

for the sake of the argument, let's say Isiah was included on the roster, who would have been dropped?
John Stockton and Magic Johnson were the only other point guards. Magic was not playing at the time, but he was an international superstar, you couldn't drop him. Stockton led the league in assists and steals that year, he was a lock.
The two other guards were Jordan and Drexler. I'd think in 92, most coaches would have selected Drexler of Isiah.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#5 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Tue May 26, 2020 6:29 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:BThe kicker is that Chuck Daley didn't want Isiah on the team. :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

I think Jordan was referring to Charles Barkley not Chuck Daley.

That was Thorn talking to Jordan. Chuck Daley was the coach. I don't think Barkley is who he is referring to.

"(Thorn) assured me," Jordan said. "He (**Thorn) said, 'You know what? Chuck doesn't want Isiah. So, Isiah is not going to be part of the team.'"
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#6 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Tue May 26, 2020 6:30 pm

donemilio21 wrote:for the sake of the argument, let's say Isiah was included on the roster, who would have been dropped?
John Stockton and Magic Johnson were the only other point guards. Magic was not playing at the time, but he was an international superstar, you couldn't drop him. Stockton led the league in assists and steals that year, he was a lock.
The two other guards were Jordan and Drexler. I'd think in 92, most coaches would have selected Drexler of Isiah.

Dominique Wilkins should have been on the team as well...over Chris Mullin.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#7 » by Cassius » Tue May 26, 2020 8:37 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:for the sake of the argument, let's say Isiah was included on the roster, who would have been dropped?

Both Isiah and Dominique had brutal injuries, Isiah his ACL I believe and Dominique his achilles tendon, within 12 months of the teams being picked. Otherwise, I believe they'd have both made it... assuming Jordan didn't interfere.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
krystophh
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#8 » by krystophh » Tue May 26, 2020 11:10 pm

I would'nt play with him neither..so I don't care
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#9 » by Cookin Baskets » Tue May 26, 2020 11:21 pm

omg just stop rehashing old **** it's 1000% pointless. :banghead:
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#10 » by popfan » Wed May 27, 2020 2:47 am

I wouldn't want Isiah Thomas on my team. Thomas was and is a cancer.

If Isiah makes the Dream Team, he would have intentionally split the team to gain power. He would have paired with Magic in an attempt to steal team leadership or to split the team. Not that it would have made a difference. MJ was unanimously the best player on the planet.

A modern day parallel would be Tony Parker vs Kawhi Leonard. An aging Parker sees himself as the heir apparent of the Spurs in 2016 once Duncan retires...except he's not. Leonard is the team lead. So what does Tony the narcissist do? He alienates Leonard by repeatedly refusing to pass Kawhi the ball.

No one wanted to see a divided Dream Team except Thomas. I am so glad that Thomas was banned just as I was glad to see Tony be allowed to leave for the Hornets.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#11 » by haste10176 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 am

It doesn't matter what matters is Jordan put his thumb on the scale and denied it.. It is once again proof positive that MJ is a liar and the last dance was a propaganda show for MJ and a hugely successful one.. Truth is Jordan got owned by Thomas and the pistons and that can never be undone..
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#12 » by We Are Groot » Wed May 27, 2020 3:21 am

is this really surprising? MJ hates (present. not past tense) Isiah, he said as much right after he lied abt not playing a part in whether or not Zeke wld make the Dream Team. Trust me, this isn't the only thing Jordan has lied about ...

what powerful person doesn't have comments on record that have bn proven untruthful down the line. it's natural. light his pants on fire and move on ... never mind the fact that Jordan didn't have the power to keep Thomas off the team all on his own. others were complicit, they lied too
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#13 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Wed May 27, 2020 4:16 am

Cassius wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:

Both Isiah and Dominique had brutal injuries, Isiah his ACL I believe and Dominique his achilles tendon, within 12 months of the teams being picked. Otherwise, I believe they'd have both made it... assuming Jordan didn't interfere.

True, I had to go back and confirm when Wilkins got his Achilles injury. I thought it was after the Dream Team selection process but it was before the selection process.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#14 » by donemilio21 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
Cassius wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:Dominique Wilkins should have been on the team as well...over Chris Mullin.

True, I had to go back and confirm when Wilkins got his Achilles injury. I thought it was after the Dream Team selection process but it was before the selection process.

there was of course more than one factor in selection.
Selections of Magic, Bird, Leattner were not due to performance at the time. The team was also really heavy on big men as it was big men's game at the time. I do wih Shaq was part of that team over Leattner, but Leattner had superior resume at the time.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#15 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Fri May 29, 2020 10:43 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
Cassius wrote:

there was of course more than one factor in selection.
Selections of Magic, Bird, Leattner were not due to performance at the time. The team was also really heavy on big men as it was big men's game at the time. I do wih Shaq was part of that team over Leattner, but Leattner had superior resume at the time.

Lattener had the Duke Blue Devils in his corner (coach K). Shaq was the superior player in college Duke was the better team.

Return to Wiretap Discussion