Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Re: Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread 

Post#161 » by jambalaya » Wed May 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Forgot Caruso was in Thunder training camp in 2016 and on Blue in 2016-17. Moved on to Lakers system for whatever reason. Probably his choice.

Hit 40% from 3 and dished out 5 assists per game but no call up. Payne, Semaj Christon and Norris Cole (and Abrines) just too impressive and important for that.

Free agent summer 2021. Something could happen before then. Trade.

Didn't realize Andre Roberson's brother played for Blue.

Will Akoon Purcell or Caddy get chance to make Thunder next season? Minor stories.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#162 » by getrichordie » Thu May 14, 2020 4:21 am

jambalaya wrote:Forgot Caruso was in Thunder training camp in 2016 and on Blue in 2016-17. Moved on to Lakers system for whatever reason. Probably his choice.

Hit 40% from 3 and dished out 5 assists per game but no call up. Payne, Semaj Christon and Norris Cole (and Abrines) just too impressive and important for that.

Free agent summer 2021. Something could happen before then. Trade.

Didn't realize Andre Roberson's brother played for Blue.

Will Akoon Purcell or Caddy get chance to make Thunder next season? Minor stories.

Would have been nice to see Caruso soak up all of Christon's minutes. That's for sure. Wonder why Presti never gave Caruso a shot with no answer at backup point?

Caruso out here snatching souls at the 0:38 second mark.

Caddy or Gaddy? As in Abdul Gaddy? Has he been any good? Haven't really watched any Blue this year.

Also, this made me realize that all of Jones, Payne, Huestis, Abrines, Jerrett (draft trade w/ POR), and McGary are out of the league. Presti has some work to do to make up for all of these. Ferguson is likely next. That will be 5 FRPs out of the league and 2 top 40 picks out of the league.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#163 » by jambalaya » Thu May 14, 2020 5:17 am

Gaddy. I am tired of over-aggressive auto-correct. It did it again. Turned off now I think. I dunno how good Gaddy is. Shoots the 3 well. Pretty old though.

Nice Caruso video reel.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#164 » by getrichordie » Sat May 16, 2020 5:14 am

The ThunderChats twitter proposed this trade idea:

rozier
batum

for

paul
diallo
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#165 » by jambalaya » Sat May 16, 2020 7:03 am

Knicks could / should make a preferable offer. If they didn't, I'd consider this, even though it comes down to negative players and out of part of Paul's salary one year early. I'd want to try to line up deals to move both Rozier and Batum immediately, essentially as second half of deal. Stretching Batum might be considered because of luxury tax concerns. Rozier had good 3pt and ft% yr and they could live with him on his contract but he'd have to be on a lesser contract the next time to want to have him stay. I wouldn't pick him under other circumstances.

Presti probably doesn't do this because he isn't in a rush, likes having stars and SGA probably still needs Paul and would benefit from more education. I probably lean against this unless one or both of the Hornets can be traded and unless Presti is really ready to be aggressive and use other assets to immediately begin a quick and deeper overhaul. Including moving Adams. The only reason to go backwards is if it helps get you to winning a playoff round or two sooner.

Hornets would be tempted by this but might in the end pull back over the 8th pick. If they can trade Batum for equal or less money, they should do that. They could just stretch him or pay him and be done. Main reason for Paul there would be to just make playoffs. Or possibly have him in organization to try to convert to Coach or GM.

The proposal is a pretty good one for identifying both teams preferences. If it isn't quite right, there could be helpful modifications possible. The GMs might have different ideas and / or end up doing nothing. I dunno if GMs ever pay attention to fan trade proposals or are influenced by them. They probably should. I don't usually spend much time on them anymore though.

I gave a quick thought to a set of deals with Knicks involving Paul, Gallinari and / or Adams and probably followup deals. But probably not worth my time to refine the details. See what Presti comes up with.
Mattv
Junior
And1: 33

Post#166 » by Mattv » Sun May 17, 2020 5:10 pm

hope Presti keeps the core together and trades future picks and players like Burton Diallo ect to get Jaden Mcdaniells and Patrick Willams and maybe a backup C. I think both Mcdaniells and Willams would be great player epically with CP3 and Galo as mentors.
Mattv
Junior

Post#167 » by Mattv » Mon May 25, 2020 3:55 pm

Let's say the season started back today. Would y'all be made if Okc cut Nader and signed lance stephenson and dort to make a playoff run?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#168 » by getrichordie » Mon May 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Mattv wrote:Let's say the season started back today. Would y'all be made if Okc cut Nader and signed lance stephenson and dort to make a playoff run?

Not sure how that would work since he plays in CBA nowadays. Dort is on a two-way contract so if it is between him and Lance, I'm taking Dort. And I'm keeping Nader. He's too valuable to us IMO. Besides Ferguson, Nader is the only one who has skills to play the 3.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#169 » by jambalaya » Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 am

Matt Thomas of the Raptors for Diallo and a future 2nd rounder if necessary. 25, frequent and great from 3. Decent defense.

It is just a guess and Raptors unlikely to do it. But I'd throw in another 2nd, cash, T Ferg or maybe do a future lottery protected 1st instead.

Might work. Might not. Get the build going. Find out.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#170 » by getrichordie » Tue May 26, 2020 4:57 am

jambalaya wrote:Matt Thomas of the Raptors for Diallo and a future 2nd rounder if necessary. 25, frequent and great from 3. Decent defense.

It is just a guess and Raptors unlikely to do it. But I'd throw in another 2nd, cash, T Ferg or maybe do a future lottery protected 1st instead.

Let me get this straight. You'd trade Diallo + Ferguson + SRP for Matt Thomas?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#171 » by getrichordie » Tue May 26, 2020 12:38 pm

Wanted to put this here as well so all of the Thunderbuddies could see it.

Basically, this is a general overview of the offseason ahead of us, IMO.

I STILL KNOW WHAT THEY SHOULD DO THIS SUMMER (or ISKWTSDTS)

4-year salary breakdown ($103.7M, $54M, $6.2M, $0M):
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/oklahoma-city-thunder/yearly/cap/

draft picks (next 5 years):
Spoiler:
2020 1st (via DEN; prot. 1-10)
2020 2nd (via CHI; prot. 31-55)
2020 2nd (own)

2021 1st x 2 (two most favorable of OKC, HOU [prot. 1-4], and MIA)
2021 1st (own)
2021 2nd (own)

2022 1st (own; traded to ATL; prot. 1-14)
2022 1st (via LAC)
2022 1st (own)
2022 2nd (own)

2023 1st (own; right to swap w/ LAC)
2023 1st (via MIA; prot. 1-14 for '23, '24, '25, unprot. in '26)
2023 2nd (own)

2024 1st (own)
2024 1st (via HOU; prot. 1-4; if not conveyed, HOU sends '24 SRP + '25 SRP)
2024 1st (via LAC)
2024 2nd (via MEM)
2024 2nd (own)

depth chart

paul // schroder
gilgeous-alexander // paul // diallo
dort // ferguson // diallo
bazley // roby
adams // x

ufa: gallinari, noel, nader (t.o.), burton (t.o.), roberson

What the Thunder should do about...

PAUL— The Thunder have a decision to make. Keep Chris Paul and his $85M+ owed over the next 2 years or seek to trade him and offload that money. I think the decision is an easy one and they should seek to trade him. The Thunder aren't in a great position to truly contend at the moment and with it being reported that Presti is looking to take on bad contracts for assets, the plan is clear: rebuild.

GALLINARI— Gallinari has been great for us, but he's an UFA which leads to the Thunder having an interesting decision to make. They can enjoy a lower salary bill or choose to re-sign an almost 32 y.o. Gallinari who has missed over 100 games combined in the previous 5 years (or 20 games a season on average). If you can re-sign Gallinari for a reasonable and team-friendly deal, you do it. If not, let him walk and enjoy the money saved. Another thing we must consider here is how high we want our pick to be next year in what projects to be a really good draft.

NOEL— Noel has showed out this season on both ends of the floor. There's still questions about whether or not he can be a starting 5 in OKC, and I think he can and should if and/or when Adams walks. Noel lines up with where the league is going and has earned the right at another shot at being a full-time starter. I think he is clearly a candidate we should re-sign.

NADER, BURTON, & ROBERSON— Nader has played solid for us as a bench wing and I think he gives us clear value going forward as a guy who can step in and give a little 3&D as a combo-F. Positional versatility and improvement this year open up talks about extending contract, IMO. --- Burton played quite awful this year, though his highlight plays can be quite fun to watch. I think the experiment has come to an end for the gentleman who was picked up out of desperation. Decline the team option. --- Roberson has been such a key piece for the Thunder over the years and it is unfortunate he suffered a bad knee injury. I see Presti doing him a favor and signing him to a cheap deal even if it is as a consummate professional and teammate to mentor the kids.

SCHRODER and ADAMS— Both Schroder and Adams will be entering into the final year of their respective contracts. Both players still hold value in a vacuum, but when contracts are taken into account, it might be a different story. It might be more difficult to find a suitor for Adams since he'll be getting paid a hefty $27.5M as opposed to Schroder's $15.5M. I'd wager that the potential 6MOY, Schroder, is easier to move at $15.5M. Still, a decision must be made to not trade or to trade Adams and Schroder. I'm in favor keeping Schroder for the long-haul and moving Adams, but willing to move either/or if price is right.

FERGUSON, DIALLO, ROBY, & BAZLEY— One of the easier decisions for the Thunder is to pick up the option on Diallo. He won't turn 22 until mid-June and has shown defensive chops and some offensive flashes, though has his work cut out for him on that end. --- Ferguson, in his contract year, has a lot of incentive to show a lot of improvement this year. Play him as much minutes as possible before deadline and make a determination on him then. --- Bazley has shown a ton of defensive potential and a lot to like on the offensive end moving forward. You have to wonder if it is best just to give him starter minutes and see what he can do. Just give the guy minutes. --- Let's get Roby a small, consistent role, at least. Fifteen minutes a game shouldn't be too hard to figure out. We need to see what we have.

GILGEOUS-ALEXANDER— Last but certainly not least, it's time to talk about S. G. A. He has been outstanding. Last year, in LAC, he showed us some great defense coupled with offensive flashes; this year, in OKC, he has showed us great offense but his defense suffered. It happens but still somewhat concerning given that his USG% was only ~24%. Although he improved in several areas including aggressiveness, limiting turnovers and fouls, he needs to develop his decision-making and guard skills even further after posting a paltry 17.8 ASTr last year and an even worse 14.8 ASTr this year. His AST/TO rate has hovered around 1.8-1.9 both years. While he needs to improve in this area, he still needs to develop his off-ball skills, which is another reason why I think we need to keep Schroder around for the foreseeable future. Shai effectively becomes a RFA at the completion of the 2021-2022 season so we only have 2 years to see if he is made of star stuff. We must remember that he's younger than Diallo by a whole month. Crazy. Still, it’s time to take the training wheels off and move Paul out of the way and put the ball in his hands even more.

strategy outlook: In short, the Thunder need to get off Paul's salary and either let Gallinari walk or sign and flip him at deadline. We need to be bad next year so we get the highest possible pick. If viable, move Adams to a team with cap space or looking to unload a undesirable contract for additional assets. Keep our cheap guys in Noel and Nader and possibly Roberson. With newfound cap space after a Paul and/or Adams trade, sign a few potentially valuable vets (anything but points) and attempt to flip them to contenders at the deadline for assets + take a swing on young, undervalued players who might need change of scenery.

draft strategy: OKC currently holds the 25th overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft. I suspect that we could easily move that pick to get off of Paul's $85M+. The hope is to be able to send his salary to someone else, after all. However, if we keep the pick, I believe we should target the BPA, regardless of roster construction. We are looking for the most possible value here, even if it's a draft-and-stash guy; I mean, what's the rush? We are rebuilding. Same goes for our second rounder.

f.a. targets: paul millsap, aron baynes, wesley matthews, kent bazemore, marcus morris, jae crowder, john henson, harry giles, stanley johnson, rondae hollis-jefferson, furkan korkmaz, josh jackson
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#172 » by jambalaya » Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 pm

getrichordie wrote:
jambalaya wrote:Matt Thomas of the Raptors for Diallo and a future 2nd rounder if necessary. 25, frequent and great from 3. Decent defense.

Let me get this straight. You'd trade Diallo + Ferguson + SRP for Matt Thomas?

Yep. Without the trade, those assets are of very low value to me. Thomas has a chance to be much more valuable.

Ujuri probably says no to that, so then you consider a future lottery protected first. I'd have to look closer before that but it would be in play.

When the team is 25th on 3pt rate and 18th on 3pt fg% and headed for worse if/when Galinari, Schroder and Paul leave, one should take action. There is very little out there one could possibly get that is worth getting. Matt Thomas is my idea / shot / answer. Getting more draft picks this year using scrubs who don't fit in a meaningful role inha good future or future draft assets would be fine in additiohn to a trade or instead of.

25 and a future lightly protected 1st to get Nesmith would be another option. I'd do both and more. Find the Gallo replacement. Get another young PG who is a better shooter / passer than SGA. Whether he starts or not.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#173 » by jambalaya » Tue May 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Re: the overall plan

I'd get rid of Ferguson and Diallo immediately for something. Don't believe they can develop into long-term pieces I'd want.

Keep Nader at a reasonable piece but someone might offer north of $4 mil.

Noel apparently had no serious offers last summer. Imo he should get a good offer, one the Thunder might not be willing to match. $7-10 mil / yr? LESS tgan that, probably sign. But the real attempted answer will probably come from the draft in a year or two.

I would have reluctance to use draft capital to move Paul unless Presti showed he was in a hurry and accelerated some of the remaining draft capital.

I'd consider keeping Schroder if the timeline is to be good in 3 yrs and depending on if you think he'd re-sign and at a reasonable price. If it is 5+ yrs to be good, nawh.

I'd get the best coach prospect under 45. As Head Coach or head coach in waiting.
Mattv
Junior

Post#174 » by Mattv » Tue May 26, 2020 11:54 pm

I don't see what y'all see in Nader. I would keep Ferguson over Nader any day.. But if Okc goes in rebuild mode no one should be kept except SGA and maybe Bazley. Schroder and Cp3s value will probably never be higher that it will be this off-season so Okc better trade them then if they are ready to rebuild.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#175 » by jambalaya » Wed May 27, 2020 2:53 am

Matt Thomas: 5 straight yrs shooting around 45% or better from 3 (2 in college, 2 in ACB, 1 in NBA). Gets shot off fast, standstill or moving. Some handle, shake, moves.

Yeah I'd do a future protected first. I'd fight about it, but I'd take the deal if it could be made.

But Ujuri probably still says no.

Maybe a deal gets bigger and involves Adams, Schroder or Gallinari. For fair value of course and not primarily "because" of Thomas. I'd be alright with trading anyone of them if it brought back Powell, Anunoby and / or some other worthwhile young talent (from Raptors or another involved team- if the Raptors move Lowry or they do a sign n delayed trade after Dec. 15).
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#176 » by getrichordie » Wed May 27, 2020 6:17 am

jambalaya wrote:Matt Thomas: 5 straight yrs shooting around 45% or better from 3 (2 in college, 2 in ACB, 1 in NBA). Gets shot off fast, standstill or moving. Some handle, shake, moves.

Yeah I'd do a future protected first. I'd fight about it, but I'd take the deal if it could be made.

But Ujuri probably still says no.

Maybe a deal gets bigger and involves Adams, Schroder or Gallinari. For fair value of course and not primarily "because" of Thomas. I'd be alright with trading anyone of them if it brought back Powell, Anunoby and / or some other worthwhile young talent (from Raptors or another involved team- if the Raptors move Lowry or they do a sign n delayed trade after Dec. 15).

There's zero chance we trade all of that for a Matt Thomas. If we want someone who can space the floor, there's plenty of guys available in this draft that can shoot 3s and not play defense. Merrill should be available at 52 if that's what you are looking for.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#177 » by getrichordie » Wed May 27, 2020 6:24 am

Mattv wrote:I don't see what y'all see in Nader. I would keep Ferguson over Nader any day.. But if Okc goes in rebuild mode no one should be kept except SGA and maybe Bazley. Schroder and Cp3s value will probably never be higher that it will be this off-season so Okc better trade them then if they are ready to rebuild.

He's just a solid depth wing that can be had for the low-low that we could potentially flip for value later on. Wings who can hit 3s and play a little D is not the easiest thing to find. He was actually a slight positive on D this year according to PIPM and he hit 37% of his 3s and 41% from the corner while maintaining his 3Pr. He also showed slight improvement in FT% and raised his overall TS% from 52% to 58%. He adds value as a small ball 4 and contenders could send value for that.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#178 » by bondom34 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:25 am

Thomas is 25 and played about 300 NBA minutes. I get he has a history of shooting well but blowing a first on that is quite an asset loss. I'd swap Ferg for him but that says more about how I see Ferg than anything else tbh.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#179 » by jambalaya » Wed May 27, 2020 5:48 pm

We'll see. I expect Thomas to get 800 plus minutes next season.

For Thunder in unlikely acquisition, I'd start out assuming 1200 and adjust as appropriate.

He is like Abrines or probably better than Abrines.
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#180 » by thor19 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:17 pm

Free agents : I think we should look : center , if we trade adams , the only center in this year free agent that we should sign is Andre Drummond. If we keep Adams and can't sign Noel other guys that we shouls sign as back up are :
Ante zizic
Aaron baynes
Kanter
Meyers leonard
Tristan thompson
Olynyk
If we dont sign Gallo we need help in the pf spot only guys that I think we can sign , I dont put AD cause he sign with the lakers or other big city market and paul millsap is old for us
Power Foward :
Ibaka , dont think he can sign with us and we bring him back but he is good
Harry Giles
Wood
Juan Hernangomez
Small foward
The same Gallo can play the sf spot too so interesting free agents we can sign are :
Davis bertans
Jae crowder
Rhollis jefferson
Kent bazemore
For defense
Stanley johnson
Moe harkless
Evan turner: i dont like him
And the best small foward ufa is Ingram but I think NO sign him or the same as AD sign with a big city like New York they have the money and want stars
The sg and pg spot I think we need to know first what we are going to do with cp3, dennis and ferguson this are the spots we have too many players:
SGA
Cp3
Dennis
Ferguson
Diallo
Dort
And nader and roberson that can play the 2,3 and are free agents

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder