GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#641 » by GTR11 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:54 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
With a cap contraction how will we be able to replenish depth? Unless guys will come running for minimum contracts?

Things seem to be going back to normal and hopefully common sense will kick in sooner rather than later. Most still don't comprehend how much capital sport industry lost/ will be losing. Next CBA will be tough on players and other people who affiliated.

Things are not going back to normal, we will pass 100,000 deaths, a number which includes for me personally the death of a long time family friend, by tomorrow. They will not be able to play in filled arenas for the foreseeable future, that is a substantial loss of revenue for the NBA.

As much as I wish things were returning to normal, they are not.

Feel your pain and hope everything will get right. I lost my father past Dec ( not due to Covid ) and feel like world been going to hell ever since. However I still hope we can get over this and learn and cherish values of life.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#642 » by Papi_swav » Mon May 25, 2020 6:01 am

GTR11 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Things seem to be going back to normal and hopefully common sense will kick in sooner rather than later. Most still don't comprehend how much capital sport industry lost/ will be losing. Next CBA will be tough on players and other people who affiliated.

Things are not going back to normal, we will pass 100,000 deaths, a number which includes for me personally the death of a long time family friend, by tomorrow. They will not be able to play in filled arenas for the foreseeable future, that is a substantial loss of revenue for the NBA.

Feel your pain and hope everything will get right. I lost my father past Dec ( not due to Covid ) and feel like world been going to hell ever since. However I still hope we can get over this and learn and cherish values of life.

RIP. 2020 has been trash !!!!
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,577

Post#643 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Mon May 25, 2020 4:32 pm

I think at this point it’s clear that Aaron Gordon is our guy. Prince and 2 1sts might get it done. If it doesnt then we’ll have to think long and hard about moving Dinwiddie or Levert for him unless we want KD guarding Giannis.

My ideal off season moves-

Trade:
Allen, #20 for #8 from Charlotte
Prince, Musa, 2021 1st, 2023 1st for Aaron Gordon.

Draft at #8: Vassell/Halliburton/Maxey/Hayes

FA Signings:
Re-sign Joe Harris for 10-12 mil
Re-sign Chiozza, TLC for the min
Paul Millsap- Mini MLE
Marvin Williams/Melo- Vet min
Meyers Leonard/Kaminsky/Cousins- Vet min

Irving/Dinwiddie/Chiozza
Harris/LeVert/#8
Durant/TLC/Kurucs
Gordon/Millsap/Williams(Melo)
Jordan/Vet min/Claxton

Might be a little unrealistic but I think it’s possible.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#644 » by DarkXaero » Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 pm

I'm gonna suggest an unpopular 3rd star trade scenario, because there's really nothing better to do in terms of NBA discussion right now. So if you don't like it, remember that I'm just doing this out of boredom more than anything lol.

Orl-BKN trade:

Orlando trades: Nikola Vucevic, Terrence Ross
Brooklyn trades: Caris Levert, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, Dzanan Musa

Unless my math is wrong, it should work salary wise even if Orlando might have to create roster spots. Jarrett Allen can be flipped to a 3rd team with ease if Orlando want to prioritize Mo Bamba's development. Overall, I think it could be a mutually beneficial scenario for both teams.

Why for Brooklyn? Nets get a 3rd star in Vucevic, a versatile offensive threat at center position who can stretch the floor reasonably well, shoot midrange, and great in low-post. He's also an above average passer at C position, and KD has been a fan of his play. Terrence Ross is a sweetener in the deal for the Nets, as he is an upgrade on Prince, a better 3pt shooter, and better wing defender. I think Ross would replace the absence of Levert & Prince reasonably well. Nets should get better as a team with these additions. Nets still retain great depth with Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, Temple, DJ, while adding better players.

Why for Orlando? Magic have been in treadmill over the past few years, and this presents them an opportunity to officially enter a full rebuild. With other teams in the East on the rise, rebuild is the best route for them. They get younger pieces here with upside (Levert, Allen), and get to potentially save a lot of money long-term by unloading the Vucevic & Ross contracts. Vucevic will be 30 next season, and has had a subpar season, so this is a chance to sell high on him. Levert gives them the potential lead guard that they've been looking for. If Allen is flipped to a 3rd team, they have a potentially exciting young core of Fultz, Levert, and Bamba, in addition to whatever asset they can get for Allen, plus a chance to build through the lottery.

Kyrie/Dinwiddie
Ross/Temple
KD/Harris
PF*/Kurucs
Vuc/DJ

*Could sign Marvin Williams with tax payer MLE

That's a strong starting lineup with plenty of shooting (a potentially 5 out offense), and a strong bench unit as well. Death lineup can be Kyrie/Dinwiddie/Ross (or Joe)/KD/Vuc.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,841

Post#645 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 25, 2020 9:27 pm

GTR11 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Things seem to be going back to normal and hopefully common sense will kick in sooner rather than later. Most still don't comprehend how much capital sport industry lost/ will be losing. Next CBA will be tough on players and other people who affiliated.

Bro sorry to hear about your father.

Yes, this is so crazy. I hope that there are better days ahead, and things are improving gradually as at least in this area hospitalizations are on the decline, but I feel like it's a long road ahead until normalcy comes back.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#646 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 pm

DarkXaero wrote:I'm gonna suggest an unpopular 3rd star trade scenario, because there's really nothing better to do in terms of NBA discussion right now. So if you don't like it, remember that I'm just doing this out of boredom more than anything lol.

Orl-BKN trade:

Unless my math is wrong, it should work salary wise even if Orlando might have to create roster spots. Jarrett Allen can be flipped to a 3rd team with ease if Orlando want to prioritize Mo Bamba's development. Overall, I think it could be a mutually beneficial scenario for both teams.

Why for Brooklyn? Nets get a 3rd star in Vucevic, a versatile offensive threat at center position who can stretch the floor reasonably well, shoot midrange, and great in low-post. He's also an above average passer at C position, and KD has been a fan of his play. Terrence Ross is a sweetener in the deal for the Nets, as he is an upgrade on Prince, a better 3pt shooter, and better wing defender. I think Ross would replace the absence of Levert & Prince reasonably well. Nets should get better as a team with these additions. Nets still retain great depth with Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, Temple, DJ, while adding better players.

Why for Orlando? Magic have been in treadmill over the past few years, and this presents them an opportunity to officially enter a full rebuild. With other teams in the East on the rise, rebuild is the best route for them. They get younger pieces here with upside (Levert, Allen), and get to potentially save a lot of money long-term by unloading the Vucevic & Ross contracts. Vucevic will be 30 next season, and has had a subpar season, so this is a chance to sell high on him. Levert gives them the potential lead guard that they've been looking for. If Allen is flipped to a 3rd team, they have a potentially exciting young core of Fultz, Levert, and Bamba, in addition to whatever asset they can get for Allen, plus a chance to build through the lottery.

Kyrie/Dinwiddie
Ross/Temple
KD/Harris
PF*/Kurucs
Vuc/DJ

That's a strong starting lineup with plenty of shooting (a potentially 5 out offense), and a strong bench unit as well. Death lineup can be Kyrie/Dinwiddie/Ross (or Joe)/KD/Vuc.

My only critique is that I have a feeling that Jordan's starting job is locked in stone due to the behind the scenes politics. I look at it as an elephant in the room which makes me think we will be weak at that position unless Claxton makes a leap.

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#647 » by TheNetsFan » Tue May 26, 2020 1:01 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
With a cap contraction how will we be able to replenish depth? Unless guys will come running for minimum contracts?

Very few teams would have any space. MLEs will be lower. Players may be more willing to ring chase on minimums in a down salary year.

Do you think we can retain Joe for cheap now since the money will basically be nonexistent?

Too many unknowns, but I think he goes from $12-15mil per to whatever the full MLE is. I also think there will be a lot of 2+ player option deals Signed. The cap will drop for 2 years at least. Players may target to get back into FA in 2022, hoping for a rebound.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#648 » by DarkXaero » Tue May 26, 2020 2:49 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I'm gonna suggest an unpopular 3rd star trade scenario, because there's really nothing better to do in terms of NBA discussion right now. So if you don't like it, remember that I'm just doing this out of boredom more than anything lol.

Orl-BKN trade:

Kyrie/Dinwiddie
Ross/Temple
KD/Harris
PF*/Kurucs
Vuc/DJ

My only critique is that I have a feeling that Jordan's starting job is locked in stone due to the behind the scenes politics. I look at it as an elephant in the room which makes me think we will be weak at that position unless Claxton makes a leap.
True, but I don't believe that DJ is refusing to come off the bench, I think he has (justifiably) felt that he had stretches where he was better than Allen, and perhaps deserved the starting role. I also think that the major issue was Kenny's lack of communication regarding their roles. Allen is still seen as a young C, Vuc is an all star center in his prime, it would be a different dynamic.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#649 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue May 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Aaron Gordon is an excellent idea.

I'm fine with trading Jarrett Allen because we can't afford him long term and its clear that KD/Kyrie want DJ starting. Allen is too good to be a backup and has good trade value right now.

I would also trade Dinwiddie before Levert if need be. Levert is locked up long term and Spencer likely gets paid next off season.

I would look for a package for Gordon around Prince, Allen and 1st rounders.

Gordon is a good shooter and would perfectly around KD/Kyrie. We also need shooting a lot more if DJ is going to be our starting center and cannot stretch the floor.

Starting lineup would be:

Kyrie
Levert
KD
Gordon
DJ

Closing lineup could be:
Kyrie
Levert
Harris
KD
Gordon

The best lineups around KD and Kyrie will be floor spacers who can also play defense.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#650 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Aaron Gordon is an excellent idea.

I'm fine with trading Jarrett Allen because we can't afford him long term and its clear that KD/Kyrie want DJ starting. Allen is too good to be a backup and has good trade value right now.

I would also trade Dinwiddie before Levert if need be. Levert is locked up long term and Spencer likely gets paid next off season.

Gordon is a good shooter and would perfectly around KD/Kyrie. We also need shooting a lot more if DJ is going to be our starting center and cannot stretch the floor.

Kyrie
Levert
KD
Gordon
DJ

Closing lineup could be:
Kyrie
Levert
Harris
KD
Gordon

The best lineups around KD and Kyrie will be floor spacers who can also play defense.

We definitely need an infusion of athleticism on this roster.

I don't know if LeVert will start next to Kyrie. Caris was playing lights out ball, but that's because he was getting the usage. With Kyrie, KD, and AG in the line up potentially he would have to produce more and catch and shoot/catch and drive situations...I don't think we have any evidence that he can be productive in that role. I like him as a 6th man better.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#651 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 26, 2020 6:30 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Orl-BKN trade:

Kyrie/Dinwiddie
Ross/Temple
KD/Harris
PF*/Kurucs
Vuc/DJ

True, but I don't believe that DJ is refusing to come off the bench, I think he has (justifiably) felt that he had stretches where he was better than Allen, and perhaps deserved the starting role. I also think that the major issue was Kenny's lack of communication regarding their roles. Allen is still seen as a young C, Vuc is an all star center in his prime, it would be a different dynamic.

I mean the guy had an argument because Allen's play became erratic after awhile. So I'm not knocking that but it seems like he came here under the impression that he would be the starting C full time...so I am not sure if Marks makes that move.

Either way, trading Allen is the most logical scenario since we can't afford to pay him long term and with Claxton being a potential steal it makes him expendable.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#652 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue May 26, 2020 7:06 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Aaron Gordon is an excellent idea.

Kyrie
Levert
KD
Gordon
DJ

Closing lineup could be:
Kyrie
Levert
Harris
KD
Gordon

We definitely need an infusion of athleticism on this roster.

I don't know if LeVert will start next to Kyrie. Caris was playing lights out ball, but that's because he was getting the usage. With Kyrie, KD, and AG in the line up potentially he would have to produce more and catch and shoot/catch and drive situations...I don't think we have any evidence that he can be productive in that role. I like him as a 6th man better.

Caris is a good shooter though. I think he is going to have to settle into an off ball type shooter and defensive player.

The usage can't come off the bench as long as we have Dinwiddie.

Otherwise maybe we have to trade Dinwiddie too and make Caris the backup PG.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#653 » by DarkXaero » Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I mean the guy had an argument because Allen's play became erratic after awhile. So I'm not knocking that but it seems like he came here under the impression that he would be the starting C full time...so I am not sure if Marks makes that move.

Either way, trading Allen is the most logical scenario since we can't afford to pay him long term and with Claxton being a potential steal it makes him expendable.
I'm not sure he came under the impression that he would be the starting C. DJ has never been a locker room cancer, and has a great reputation in the NBA as a teammate, locker room guy. I don't believe for a second that DJ not starting was a contributing factor in Kenny getting fired. I do think that Kenny not communicating well regarding roles with his two Cs was an issue though. Kenny played guys off feel, so if he felt that DJ was playing significantly better in a game, and Allen was playing poorly, he would have DJ close the game.

I can understand Kenny's logic of going with the hot hand, but not all players are going to be okay with that. Did you see D Lo's recent comments about Kenny? He wasn't a fan of that either.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#654 » by NYG » Wed May 27, 2020 2:03 pm

Taurean Prince and 20th Overall Pick for an opted in Jerami Grant (he then extends his contract)?
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#655 » by Claud » Wed May 27, 2020 7:10 pm

I also feel that we should cash in on Dinwiddie.

He's too good to be a back up and he will definately test free agency and go for whoever gives him the most $. Nothing wrong with that. I would like to keep him in the Manu Ginobili role but that seem to be up in the air.

It would be a mistake to trade the Fro because DJ has a preference to start from his buddies.

I think the age difference is significant enough that the Fro can learn under DJ for another year or so and then become the full time starter going forward. That is unless they don't believe in his potential anymore in which case we could try to flip the Fro for some picks from a rebuilding team. DJ and the Fro seem to have good chemistry and I don't feel that it would become an issue.

Our championship window will be open for a few years and so far Marks has shown he's capable of mostly making the correct the decisions so I have faith. I'm curious to see if he blows it up(Trades Caris, Fro, DIn for Beal or some other star) or decides to keep this core and bank on having elite depth alongside two superstars in KD and Ky.

Ky/LeVert/Harris/KD/DJ with Dinwiddie/Temple/Prince/Kurucs or Clax/Fro is a very solid team with a lot of talent and different options. I think this team with some luck and health could definately win it all if KD is back to 100%.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#656 » by DarkXaero » Wed May 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Claud wrote:I also feel that we should cash in on Dinwiddie.

He's too good to be a back up and he will definately test free agency and go for whoever gives him the most $. Nothing wrong with that. I would like to keep him in the Manu Ginobili role but that seem to be up in the air.

It would be a mistake to trade the Fro because DJ has a preference to start from his buddies.

I think the age difference is significant enough that the Fro can learn under DJ for another year or so and then become the full time starter going forward. That is unless they don't believe in his potential anymore in which case we could try to flip the Fro for some picks from a rebuilding team. DJ and the Fro seem to have good chemistry and I don't feel that it would become an issue.

Our championship window will be open for a few years and so far Marks has shown he's capable of mostly making the correct the decisions so I have faith. I'm curious to see if he blows it up(Trades Caris, Fro, DIn for Beal or some other star) or decides to keep this core and bank on having elite depth alongside two superstars in KD and Ky.

Ky/LeVert/Harris/KD/DJ with Dinwiddie/Temple/Prince/Kurucs or Clax/Fro is a very solid team with a lot of talent and different options. I think this team with some luck and health could definately win it all if KD is back to 100%.
A couple things...

1) Dinwiddie was just on First Take this morning, reiterating what he has said before. He knows he can start elsewhere, he knows he can make more money elsewhere, but he believes that being here makes him a part of a championship contending core, and he'd rather have that over a mediocre team where he gets more money, and playing time. Sure, the guy loves flirting with media/fans, and he tries to get as much publicity as possible. But he's being genuine when he talks about wanting to be here, and competing for a championship. Remember that this guy helped recruit Kyrie, knowing that it would more or less kill his chances of being a starter here. He has also already talked about his willingness to take a step back, and be a supporting player when Kyrie & KD come back. He's a very good player in his prime, getting better each year, relatively injury free, and on a great contract for at least one more season. I'm only letting him go if we're getting a star or getting significantly better through moves.

2) For me personally, wanting to trade Allen has nothing to do with DJ's supposed preference to start. It has to do with the belief that Allen isn't capable of being a starter on a championship team. Maybe he'll get there someday but that time isn't now, and there are way too many question marks. Aside from that, I also believe that having a stretch 5 would help us tremendously, as DJ already is similar to Allen in what he provides. Having both Allen, and DJ is kinda redundant because their skillset is the same.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#657 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 27, 2020 11:30 pm

The problem with trading Dinwiddie is I don't see us getting much back.

PG is the deepest position in the league and very few teams need a PG.

I don't really think hes too good to be a backup either. I think he fits well as a 6th man, Lou Will type player.

But if we got good return I would be all for it.

I still think Allen is the trade chip we need to use. I don't think we can pay him and I don't think he will be happy backing up DJ after starting for so long.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#658 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 29, 2020 3:21 am

DarkXaero wrote:

A couple things...

1) Dinwiddie was just on First Take this morning, reiterating what he has said before. He knows he can start elsewhere, he knows he can make more money elsewhere, but he believes that being here makes him a part of a championship contending core, and he'd rather have that over a mediocre team where he gets more money, and playing time. Sure, the guy loves flirting with media/fans, and he tries to get as much publicity as possible. But he's being genuine when he talks about wanting to be here, and competing for a championship. Remember that this guy helped recruit Kyrie, knowing that it would more or less kill his chances of being a starter here. He has also already talked about his willingness to take a step back, and be a supporting player when Kyrie & KD come back. He's a very good player in his prime, getting better each year, relatively injury free, and on a great contract for at least one more season. I'm only letting him go if we're getting a star or getting significantly better through moves.

2) For me personally, wanting to trade Allen has nothing to do with DJ's supposed preference to start. It has to do with the belief that Allen isn't capable of being a starter on a championship team. Maybe he'll get there someday but that time isn't now, and there are way too many question marks. Aside from that, I also believe that having a stretch 5 would help us tremendously, as DJ already is similar to Allen in what he provides. Having both Allen, and DJ is kinda redundant because their skillset is the same.

How do they overlap if they don't see the floor together?
It allows them to run 48 minutes of a lobs and block player, both going full speed and contributing in the same offense. And, there are injuries and foul trouble.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#659 » by DarkXaero » Fri May 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

A couple things...

How do they overlap if they don't see the floor together?
It allows them to run 48 minutes of a lobs and block player, both going full speed and contributing in the same offense. And, there are injuries and foul trouble.
Their skillset overlaps in the sense that there is no alternate option in playstyle, you can't have a proper five out offense, not that they actually play together. I'm saying its good to have that kind of flexibility.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#660 » by DarkXaero » Fri May 29, 2020 4:57 pm

Beal comments on Nets rumors:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29240441/wizards-bradley-beal-says-trade-rumors-sign-respect

"It's not the first time I've heard this kind of talk," Beal told ESPN. "It's interesting. To me, I look at it as a sign of respect, that I've been doing good things and guys want to play with me.

"That's an unbelievable feeling. When you hear that Kyrie [Irving] and KD [Kevin Durant] want you, s---, that's amazing. At the same time, you don't know how much there is to it, or how easy it would be to do. And I've put down roots in D.C. I've dedicated myself to this town, this community. I love it here, and it would feel great to know I could grind out winning here instead of jumping to another team.

"But I'd be naive to say that I don't think about it when these stories come up."

Reading between the lines, it looks like KD & Kyrie have been trying to recruit him, and he seems open to the possibility, despite previous strong comments about wanting to stay in DC.

Return to Brooklyn Nets