[2020] Team Needs Master List

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

[2020] Team Needs Master List 

Post#1 » by getrichordie » Thu May 28, 2020 12:12 am

Spoiler:
Got bored and decided to create a master list of all team needs. It's a rough list, so if anyone wants to debate it, add to it, or thinks something needs to be changed, please feel free to suggest changes. I will do my best to keep it as updated as possible.

Thanks
GROD.

atlanta hawks
— defensive-minded 2 + better 2nd string point + 2nd string 4

boston celtics
— rim-protecting 5 + wing depth

brooklyn nets
— coach + defense + 3rd star + wing depth + better starting 3/4

charlotte hornets
— star + starting 2 + starting 5 + combo-guard

chicago bulls
— starting point + better wing depth + bench shooting

cleveland cavaliers
— defense + star + better wings + depth + rotation 4

dallas mavericks
— big defensive wing + "emergency" big + secondary playmaker + 2-way wing

denver nuggets
— better wings + rotation big

detroit pistons
— star + point guard + starting 5 + better wings/everything

golden state warriors
— 2nd string ball-handler + wing depth + rotation big

houston rockets
— floor-spacers + rotation big

indiana pacers
— floor-spacing 2 + wing depth + a 4 that fits next to Sabonis/Turner

los angeles clippers
— rotation bigs + better wing depth + true point

los angeles lakers
— secondary playmaker + better point guard not named LBJ + wing depth + backup 5

memphis grizzlies
— wing depth

miami heat
— star + starting stretch 4

milwaukee bucks
— wing depth + floor-spacers + rotation big

minnesota timberwolves
— star + defense + rim-protecting 4 + 2-way wing

new orleans pelicans
— defense + rotation combo-big

new york knicks
— offense + star + better wings + point-guard

oklahoma city thunder
— offense + star (if Paul is traded) + better wings + rotation 4

orlando magic
— offense + guard depth + wing depth

philadelphia 76ers
— overall upgrade to depth

phoenix suns
— defense + point-guard + playmaker + better 4

portland trail blazers
— defense + starting wing + rotation 4

sacramento kings
— defense + wing depth

san antonio spurs
— defense + starting wing

toronto raptors
— offense + scoring guard + starting big + wing depth

utah jazz
— 2-way 4/5 + secondary playmaker

washington wizards
— defense + star + starting big + wing depth
[twitter] @thunderdustin
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: [2020] Team Needs Master List 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Thu May 28, 2020 12:50 am

indiana pacers
— floor-spacing 2 + wing depth

I would say this is likely close for Indy. We have 12 guys signed so our needs are limited, though Lamb is out. But the roster is largely set.

We'd love to resign Justin Holiday, but he's kind of a luxury. Lamb's minutes will go to Aaron Holiday and Sumner, so while we're down a high minute wing, we have guys we want to get minutes anyway in that spot. But we could use an end of the bench emergency wing if Holiday signs elsewhere.

We also need an emergency big. That could be just resigning Sampson or Alize Johnson if management feels he's ready for a real role. It could be someone else. But we don't have a real PF on the roster. Myles, Domas, and Goga are all centers, though Myles will play 20-30 or so minutes there a night. Would have been the perfect spot for Thad Young, but logistically just didn't work. We'll play with a smallball PF (was Justin Holiday this season) for some time, but will be looking for that tweener big that's more of a classic PF to fill in like Sampson did.

Odds are we just resign both of Justin Holiday and Sampson. I don't see a large market right now for either, though other years I'd think Holiday would get a sizable offer somewhere. It's highly doubtful, but maybe the team even promotes Brian Bowen II as an end of the bench developmental guy. Ultimately, I don't think Indy will really be shopping in free agency at all.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#3 » by getrichordie » Thu May 28, 2020 12:54 am

pacers33granger wrote:indiana pacers

I would say this is likely close for Indy. We have 12 guys signed so our needs are limited, though Lamb is out. But the roster is largely set.

We'd love to resign Justin Holiday, but he's kind of a luxury. Lamb's minutes will go to Aaron Holiday and Sumner, so while we're down a high minute wing, we have guys we want to get minutes anyway in that spot. But we could use an end of the bench emergency wing if Holiday signs elsewhere.

We also need an emergency big. That could be just resigning Sampson or Alize Johnson if management feels he's ready for a real role. It could be someone else. But we don't have a real PF on the roster. Myles, Domas, and Goga are all centers, though Myles will play 20-30 or so minutes there a night. Would have been the perfect spot for Thad Young, but logistically just didn't work. We'll play with a smallball PF (was Justin Holiday this season) for some time, but will be looking for that tweener big that's more of a classic PF to fill in like Sampson did.

Odds are we just resign both of Justin Holiday and Sampson. I don't see a large market right now for either, though other years I'd think Holiday would get a sizable offer somewhere. It's highly doubtful, but maybe the team even promotes Brian Bowen II as an end of the bench developmental guy. Ultimately, I don't think Indy will really be shopping in free agency at all.

I think you guys could find someone in the draft, too. There's some interesting prospects that should be available at 50 that IND could use as emergency big.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 28, 2020 2:09 am

I don’t know that 2 is that big of an issue with Aaron ready to step up in that spot and Sumner still there as a 5th guard. Or rather, Not the need on the forefront.

To me, it’s a big wing defender. Justin Holiday filled it on an undersized basis, and could again, and Sampson did admirably there in lesser minutes at the 4.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Thu May 28, 2020 2:47 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I don’t know that 2 is that big of an issue with Aaron ready to step up in that spot and Sumner still there as a 5th guard. Or rather, Not the need on the forefront.

To me, it’s a big wing defender. Justin Holiday filled it on an undersized basis, and could again, and Sampson did admirably there in lesser minutes at the 4.
My point was more that I assume we'd look for another wing to fill out the roster, which will likely be an end of the bench guy. That along with a more true pf should basically round out the roster. But we don't really "need" anything even if we resign no one.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#6 » by Trader_Joe » Thu May 28, 2020 3:06 am

Nets - Coach
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 28, 2020 3:39 am

I'd say Dallas biggest need by far is this:

A big wing who can defend who isn't useless offensively. MKG was not the guy. Right now our best guy is DFS and we'd like our best guy to be better. Kleber actually helps against some of the biggest wings--best defender by far against Lebron for instance. THJ isn't getting obliterated, but obviously isn't a positive either. Wright helps a little, but this is still a major weakness that imo caps their ceiling because you will have to be getting by one or more of Lebron, Kawhi, Harden.

Rotation big would be on the list, but I'd expect that to be a min contract guy with the hopes that Powell is back in the main rotation at some point.

PG, as you have listed is an interesting one. I'd be open to another guy who can create his own shot a bit, but with Luka and two solid backups in Brunson and Wright plus Barea might be back I wouldn't have it as a need. More of a want if you could lure a Dragic for cheap or something.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#8 » by gom » Thu May 28, 2020 4:10 am

Miami's biggest need isn't at wing or point guard, where the team is pretty well served. I expect Miami will keep its young pieces like Nunn & Herro, especially in the face of salary cap constraints. I feel Miami needs a power forward to run next to Adebayo more than help in the backcourt.

I predict this offseason Miami will resign Crowder and Derrick Jones Jr to one-year deals and draft a front court player to develop (C or PF, Precious Achiuwa, Aleksej Pokuševski, Vernon Carey, or Jalen Smith), but Miami's next significant piece should be someone like Giannis or Davis rather than Beal.

I expect Miami to resign Dragic too, so money will be scarce. It's the same everywhere though.

The end goal should be to pair Butler & Adebayo with another key piece.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
NBAhipster24
Junior
And1: 67

Post#9 » by NBAhipster24 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:12 am

Portland having a guy that's a legit 6'7 or 6'8 play the three would be incredible. Just someones who's a body and hit C&S 3's at 35% would be perfect
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#10 » by getrichordie » Thu May 28, 2020 5:40 am

Spoiler:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd say Dallas biggest need by far is this:

A big wing who can defend who isn't useless offensively. MKG was not the guy. Right now our best guy is DFS and we'd like our best guy to be better. Kleber actually helps against some of the biggest wings--best defender by far against Lebron for instance. THJ isn't getting obliterated, but obviously isn't a positive either. Wright helps a little, but this is still a major weakness that imo caps their ceiling because you will have to be getting by one or more of Lebron, Kawhi, Harden.

Rotation big would be on the list, but I'd expect that to be a min contract guy with the hopes that Powell is back in the main rotation at some point.

PG, as you have listed is an interesting one. I'd be open to another guy who can create his own shot a bit, but with Luka and two solid backups in Brunson and Wright plus Barea might be back I wouldn't have it as a need. More of a want if you could lure a Dragic for cheap or something.

NBAhipster24 wrote:Portland having a guy that's a legit 6'7 or 6'8 play the three would be incredible. Just someones who's a body and hit C&S 3's at 35% would be perfect

Updated. Chuck, I got you guys needing a big defensive wing. Don't know if I can be more descriptive than that in short.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:56 am

Utah doesn't really need a better starting 4, IMO. What we could use most is a bench big that can play power forward or center and also hit open threes. Larry Nance, Bobby Portis, and Dario Saric all come to mind (maybe Tristan Thompson). However, if we were somehow able to land a big piece, any position 2-4 would be fine (honestly point guard would be okay, too, but I think Mitchell is better there). Bojan can play the 3 or 4, Royce can play 2-4, Joe can play 2-3, so we have lots of flexibility to make it work.

So...
Realistic need: F/C that can hit threes
"Next step" need (i.e. to get to the next tier of teams): a second option on offense that plays 1-4, but preferably 2-4.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#12 » by getrichordie » Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 am

babyjax13 wrote:Utah doesn't really need a better starting 4, IMO. What we could use most is a bench big that can play power forward or center and also hit open threes. Larry Nance, Bobby Portis, and Dario Saric all come to mind (maybe Tristan Thompson). However, if we were somehow able to land a big piece, any position 2-4 would be fine (honestly point guard would be okay, too, but I think Mitchell is better there). Bojan can play the 3 or 4, Royce can play 2-4, Joe can play 2-3, so we have lots of flexibility to make it work.

So...
Realistic need: F/C that can hit threes
"Next step" need (i.e. to get to the next tier of teams): a second option on offense that plays 1-4, but preferably 2-4.

Updated to "stretch 4/5 + secondary playmaker"

You guys should draft N'Doye.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#13 » by gswhoops » Thu May 28, 2020 7:33 am

Spot on for GSW.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#14 » by jayu70 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:09 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Spoiler:
Got bored and decided to create a master list of all team needs. It's a rough list, so if anyone wants to debate it, add to it, or thinks something needs to be changed, please feel free to suggest changes. I will do my best to keep it as updated as possible.

Thanks
GROD.

atlanta hawks
— defensive-minded 2 + better 2nd string point + better back up 5

1. Hawks are hopeful Cam Reddish is that defensive minded SG. As bad as his offense was to start his early NBA career, his defense kept him on the court. He started putting it together on offense once the calender switched to 2020.
2. Yes to 2nd string PG
3. Dewayne Dedmon is adequate as the backup 5 to Capela.
4. Hawks need a backup PF behind John Collins, none currently on the roster.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#15 » by HornetJail » Thu May 28, 2020 12:48 pm

NBAhipster24 wrote:Portland having a guy that's a legit 6'7 or 6'8 play the three would be incredible. Just someones who's a body and hit C&S 3's at 35% would be perfect

Nic Batum come on down!!!!
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#16 » by ChettheJet » Thu May 28, 2020 1:43 pm

Bulls:

Pure pass first PG, a guy that's going to try and average 8-9 assists per game not 18PPG they've got White and Lavine to score

2021 starting SF long term contract for a #2 or 3 top scorer. They have Porter with an expiring contract who if healthy is a solid 3 scorer maybe 4 behind Markkanen. Hutchison could be just like Porter but needs to stay healthy and then be aggressive with the ball which he hasn't yet. People keep suggesting trading way Satoransky for nothing but he's a capable reserve at 3 positions.

A healthy engaged Markkanen to play like what he looked like a couple of years ago otherwise a FA or draft pick PF

More shooting off the bench. Kornet if healthy (how is that the factor with 80% of this roster?) could get minutes as the 3rd PF/C, Adam Mokoka from the G League looked like an NBA player before play stopped he should at least be on the roster as a 3rd shooting guard. A replacement at 3rd center for Felicio who looks slow and uninterested.
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#17 » by aguiar95 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'd say Dallas biggest need by far is this:

A big wing who can defend who isn't useless offensively. Rotation big would be on the list, but I'd expect that to be a min contract guy with the hopes that Powell is back in the main rotation at some point.

Our roster's biggest needs to me are:

1) On-ball defender that forces turnovers and can hit open 3's, since we ONLY have DFS (we are 28th in steals and 30th in opp TO%);
Dream: G. Harris (DEN)/M. Bridges (PHO)/M. Smart (BOS)/D. White (SAS).
Realistic: D. Green (LAL)/J. Hart (NOP)/ J. Holiday (IND)/T. Ariza (POR).

2) PF that can defend the 3/4 and hit 3's since we ONLY have Maxi if KP is playing C.
Dream: A. Gordon (ORL)/C. Wood (DET)/L. Nance Jr (CLE)/S. Ibaka (TOR).
Realistic: T. Young (CHI)/R. Gay (SAS)/C. Boucher (TOR)/P. Millsap (DEN).

1 and 2 should be starters, but since we don't have assets, I expect backups (MLE and draft).

Doncic /Wright OR Brunson
THJ /Curry
DFS/1
Kleber/2
KP/Powell
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,808

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 28, 2020 2:28 pm

I'm less worried about the turnover thing. Hard to quantify that other than steals, but I don't really want gambling guys who put the bigs under pressure and cause scrambles. More important to me to have guys who aren't just getting traffic-coned or steamrolled. If they can force turnovers on top of that great, but not a priority. And of your list only White figures to be available and he's not a great fit in Dallas.

Of your PF list---Ibaka is now basically a center which makes him tough and not sure he comes for the MLE. Wood is talented, but definitely a center as well. Nance would have to be a center here as well. And well you know how I feel about Gordon.

I think Marvin Williams is a name to keep an eye on. Will come for MLE or less and can probably be had for a single year. I think that's more the realistic caliber and style of player we are looking at. Millsap would be awesome but I'm assuming Denver will keep him because they can pay him way more than we can.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 28, 2020 3:07 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

My point was more that I assume we'd look for another wing to fill out the roster, which will likely be an end of the bench guy. That along with a more true pf should basically round out the roster. But we don't really "need" anything even if we resign no one.

Oh, sure, I just think that’s more of an ideal roster filling spot and would be more of a vet minimum, undrafted, or 2nd round guy. If we spend any of the MLE, I just see it being on a priority, and maybe more of a 4/3 that’s more of a big wing defender. Not sure whom it would be though, and an undersized Holiday may be the best option in the market.
NBAhipster24
Junior
And1: 67

Post#20 » by NBAhipster24 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:10 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Nic Batum come on down!!!!

If he didn't make so much money and actually gave a **** he would be fine lmao

Return to Trades and Transactions