ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVIII

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVIII 

Post#1681 » by payitforward » Thu May 28, 2020 6:55 pm

gambitx777 wrote:]I would consider 9 and our second for Bagley and 12. But I wouldn't trade rui for him, imo.

Since a #9 pick is not likely to get you a better player than a #12 pick, this is in effect trading our R2 pick for Bagley.

That's a cheap roll of the dice on Bagley.

Oh... & then go buy the #33 or #35 pick from Elton Brand for $2-3m. In effect, that $$ turns out to be what it costs you to acquire Bagley.

Note that this is not particularly about Bagley. Could be anyone you thought was worth a roll of the dice.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#1682 » by gambitx777 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:46 pm

Yeah basically and I don't know if they would do this but that's about what I'm willing to give up for Bagley who clearly sees himself as more than he is and needs a lot of work.
payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:]I would consider 9 and our second for Bagley and 12. But I wouldn't trade rui for him, imo.

Since a #9 pick is not likely to get you a better player than a #12 pick, this is in effect trading our R2 pick for Bagley.

That's a cheap roll of the dice on Bagley.

Oh... & then go buy the #33 or #35 pick from Elton Brand for $2-3m. In effect, that $$ turns out to be what it costs you to acquire Bagley.

Note that this is not particularly about Bagley. Could be anyone you thought was worth a roll of the dice.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1683 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:19 am

More Beal trade talk.

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#1684 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Warrior fan...I come in peace :)
Would you guys be interested in Klay for Beal straight up assuming it's a fully recovered Klay Thompson? The thought is that Warriors may wish to get younger so to extend their run.
Would you have any interesting Draymond Green and this years OR next year's (top three protected) lottery pick?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1685 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:10 pm

Welcome -- I lived 20 years in SF & was a big-time Warriors fan.

I'm not sure whether you are suggesting 2 different trades here, or...?

Klay for Brad -- no, absolutely not. Not even if the salary obligations were the same. &, in any case, Klay's contract alone puts it totally out of the question.

Actually, although I don't consider the offer insulting or anything, I don't think it's at all realistic. Brad is the better player, plus he's younger, costs less, & isn't coming off a major injury like Klay. If this is how you are valuing Klay Thompson, I think it's unlikely you'll move him.

I just read an article suggesting you trade Klay for Giannis. Jaw-dropping idea!

Am I right in understanding that your 2d idea is Draymond plus 1 (top-3 protected) pick for Brad?

Strong pass on that one as well.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1686 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:04 pm

I just don't see the wizards having much to do with trades to the Bay right now. Not Insuulting by any means.but if the team was trading Beal I doubt it would be flat for a player.
ILOVEIT wrote:Warrior fan...I come in peace :)
Would you guys be interested in Klay for Beal straight up assuming it's a fully recovered Klay Thompson? The thought is that Warriors may wish to get younger so to extend their run.
Would you have any interesting Draymond Green and this years OR next year's (top three protected) lottery pick?

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1687 » by Ruzious » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:31 pm

Klay's been great, but 30 years old and coming off an ACL... GS would have to add their 2020 FRP to get Beal.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1688 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:Klay's been great, but 30 years old and coming off an ACL... GS would have to add their 2020 FRP to get Beal.

I wouldn't even want that deal. At least not unless I a lot of confidence in Wiseman. Anthony Edwards doesn't thrill me as much as perhaps he does others.

But, it's kind of irrelevant -- we could not afford to take on Klay's salary.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1689 » by Ruzious » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:49 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Klay's been great, but 30 years old and coming off an ACL... GS would have to add their 2020 FRP to get Beal.

I wouldn't even want that deal. At least not unless I a lot of confidence in Wiseman. Anthony Edwards doesn't thrill me as much as perhaps he does others.

But, it's kind of irrelevant -- we could not afford to take on Klay's salary.

Sure we can since Beal's in the deal - though it could affect other moves.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1690 » by payitforward » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:33 am

Ruz -- have you looked at what Klay is owed overall? 50% more than Brad -- including over $43m for the season when he turns 34 years old.

Now... of course it's possible to imagine a scenario in which we'd be able to pay that, but it would be far-fetched. Especially since it's hard to see what the upside would be from the decision to commit to Klay (or anybody, really) at that level or for that long when you've got a team at the stage we're at.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1691 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:08 am

payitforward wrote:Ruz -- have you looked at what Klay is owed overall? 50% more than Brad -- including over $43m for the season when he turns 34 years old.

Now... of course it's possible to imagine a scenario in which we'd be able to pay that, but it would be far-fetched. Especially since it's hard to see what the upside would be from the decision to commit to Klay (or anybody, really) at that level or for that long when you've got a team at the stage we're at.

That 50% is very misleading because they don't have the same amount of years.

Look at it year by year. 20-21 - the difference is pay is 6.6 mil. 21-22 - the difference is 3.5 mil. 22-23 - the difference is 3.3 mil. Those differences are obviously not unworkable unless they lower the lux tax threshold.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1692 » by payitforward » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Understood. I wasn't explicit enough.

The only reason I can see to trade Brad is to significantly increase our flexibility -- presumably so that we can retool the team in a major way for a next generation. Swapping him for Klay isn't a move in that direction, obviously. In fact, it's a move in the opposite direction -- precisely b/c of that extra contract year at $43m.

Klay's contract reduces our flexibility for the next 3 years -- not hugely, but it can't be entirely ignored either. Then it significantly hampers us the 4th year.

That year will be Wall's 14th in the league & Klay's 13th. Those two geezers won't be leading us to contention (assuming we've re-signed John). Moreover, it's whistling in the wind to imagine that, as the years pass, it'll be easy to move Klay's contract (e.g. easier than moving Brad's if we had to).

If Klay Thompson was a much better player than Bradley Beal, & if that difference gave us a shot to contend for a title right now -- sure, why not? But, he isn't. &, even if he were, it wouldn't.

In fact, right now Klay Thompson is not as good a player as Bradley Beal. He was better than Brad his first few years in the league, to be sure -- but I think it's safe to attribute that edge to his being older than Brad by almost 3.5 years.

In short, Klay makes us older not younger, worse not better, more not less hampered in the future, etc. etc. etc. -- not to mention that he's coming off a serious injury. Wish him the best; don't want him in a Wizards uni.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1693 » by Ruzious » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:18 pm

payitforward wrote:Understood. I wasn't explicit enough.

The only reason I can see to trade Brad is to significantly increase our flexibility -- presumably so that we can retool the team in a major way for a next generation. Swapping him for Klay isn't a move in that direction, obviously. In fact, it's a move in the opposite direction -- precisely b/c of that extra contract year at $43m.

Klay's contract reduces our flexibility for the next 3 years -- not hugely, but it can't be entirely ignored either. Then it significantly hampers us the 4th year.

That year will be Wall's 14th in the league & Klay's 13th. Those two geezers won't be leading us to contention (assuming we've re-signed John). Moreover, it's whistling in the wind to imagine that, as the years pass, it'll be easy to move Klay's contract (e.g. easier than moving Brad's if we had to).

If Klay Thompson was a much better player than Bradley Beal, & if that difference gave us a shot to contend for a title right now -- sure, why not? But, he isn't. &, even if he were, it wouldn't.

In fact, right now Klay Thompson is not as good a player as Bradley Beal. He was better than Brad his first few years in the league, to be sure -- but I think it's safe to attribute that edge to his being older than Brad by almost 3.5 years.

In short, Klay makes us older not younger, worse not better, more not less hampered in the future, etc. etc. etc. -- not to mention that he's coming off a serious injury. Wish him the best; don't want him in a Wizards uni.

I didn't even notice that post was here. Obviously I wouldn't trade Beal even up for Thompson. My point was that you were wrong in saying that we couldn't afford to take on Thompson's contract if we traded Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#1694 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:57 am

Read on Twitter

How does this affect Ted?

Ted Leonsis is only worth $1.1 billion. The Caps were a money making machine, I think they had revenue of $180M last year and their operating costs plus players salaries was like $120M.

Wizards were losing money in 2016-17 but the local TV deal revenue doubled and Capitol One got the naming rights to the Arena a couple of years ago.

Looks like they had $269M in revenue, $55M in operating costs, $123M for players. $91M in profits.
https://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/#tab:overall
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1695 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ted Leonsis is only worth $1.1 billion. The Caps were a money making machine, I think they had revenue of $180M last year and their operating costs plus players salaries was like $120M.

Wizards were losing money in 2016-17 but the local TV deal revenue doubled and Capitol One got the naming rights to the Arena a couple of years ago.

Looks like they had $269M in revenue, $55M in operating costs, $123M for players. $91M in profits.

I think revenue from legalized gambling is going to help NBA owners quite a bit. Ted's going to be just fine.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1696 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:15 pm

Getting back to trade ideas, I have a multi-stepped idea:

With Phoenix relying on Booker and Oubre at the wings - as well as sharp-shooter Cam Johnson, they don't seem to be relying on Mikal Bridges, and they lack a starting PF to go with Ayton. They're the type of team that would probably love to get someone like Rui, so let's take advantage of Rui's high trade value. Trade Rui, Ish (optional - it works with or without Ish), and our high 2nd for Bridges and Pheonix' first rounder (10th pick). I think it's a steal, but one that's possible. Bridges isn't a big scorer, but he's very efficient and a quality defender who gets lots of steals - just what you want from a 3 and D player, and I think his 3 point shot will improve.

That leads to the Wiz finding the best place to trade TBJ - who likely won't fit well - with Wall and Beal dominating the ball. He's NOT a 3 & D player - we've seen that. He does a lot of very impressive things at a very young age, but he's a poor defender and not a catch and shoot guy. Trade with a stupid team - NY. I don't think they know what they have in Mitchell Robinson - they only played him 23.2 minutes a game - granted he does get in foul trouble - mostly making stupid fouls - but still. I think we can get him for TBJ and Moe Wagner.

Overall, we trade Rui, TBJ, Wagner, Ish (optional), and our 2nd for Mitchell Robinson, Bridges, and the 10th pick. We get a LOT better defensively, lose some offensive fire power while gaining some offensive efficiency, and have a lot of flexibility with the 10th pick. Here's an idea of what to do with the 9th and 10th picks; we'd want to get a scoring 4, and Obi Toppin fits that role perfectly. Trade 9 and 10 to NY for 6 and 25. Pick Toppin at 6 and Jalen Smith at 25.

PG - Wall, Napier, Grant
SG - Beal, J. Robinson, Mathews
SF - Bridges, Bonga, Schofield
PF - Toppin, Bertans, J. Smith
C - M. Robinson, Bryant
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1697 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:45 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ted Leonsis doesn't own the Washington Wizards.

Monumental Sports owns the Washington Wizards.

Ted is the largest stockholder in Monumental Sports, but he is by no means its sole owner. & Monumental owns a lot more than the Washington Wizards.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1698 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:Getting back to trade ideas, I have a multi-stepped idea:

With Phoenix relying on Booker and Oubre at the wings - as well as sharp-shooter Cam Johnson, they don't seem to be relying on Mikal Bridges, and they lack a starting PF to go with Ayton. They're the type of team that would probably love to get someone like Rui, so let's take advantage of Rui's high trade value. Trade Rui, Ish (optional - it works with or without Ish), and our high 2nd for Bridges and Pheonix' first rounder (10th pick). I think it's a steal, but one that's possible. Bridges isn't a big scorer, but he's very efficient and a quality defender who gets lots of steals - just what you want from a 3 and D player, and I think his 3 point shot will improve.

That leads to the Wiz finding the best place to trade TBJ...

I loved it until this last bit. Yet, with your 2 follow-up moves it starts to come together for sure:
Ruzious wrote:...Trade with a stupid team - NY. I don't think they know what they have in Mitchell Robinson.... I think we can get him for TBJ and Moe Wagner....

...(& then) Trade 9 and 10 to NY for 6 and 25. Pick Toppin at 6 and Jalen Smith at 25....

But... 9 & 10 is too much to give for 6 & 25. First trade 10 to Boston for their 18, 26 & a R2 pick next year. Then give NY 9 & 18 for 6 & 25.

Take Toppin at 6, Jalen Smith at 25, & Tyler Bey at 26 -- while tucking away that extra R2 pick for next year.

Out: Rui, TBJ, Wagner, Ish, and the players we'd otherwise get with our #9 & #37 picks this year.

In: Bridges, Robinson, Toppin, Jalen Smith & Tyler Bey -- plus a R2 pick next year. A little bit better.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1699 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Of course... there are some problems with the Phoenix part of that trade.

1. Phoenix gave a lot to get Bridges. They gave a pick 6 spots down that year, & they gave a R1 pick (from Miami) a couple of years down the line.
2. Bridges is 4th on the team in minutes. & he's played extremely well. There's a good argument to be made that he is their best player.

Maybe with the Knicks part of the trade as well. They have a brand new FO. May not be ready to trade young guys. Tho... maybe it's the opposite -- no investment in guys taken by the old guard...?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1700 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 pm

payitforward wrote:Of course... there are some problems with the Phoenix part of that trade.

1. Phoenix gave a lot to get Bridges. They gave a pick 6 spots down that year, & they gave a R1 pick (from Miami) a couple of years down the line.
2. Bridges is 4th on the team in minutes. & he's played extremely well. There's a good argument to be made that he is their best player.

Maybe with the Knicks part of the trade as well. They have a brand new FO. May not be ready to trade young guys. Tho... maybe it's the opposite -- no investment in guys taken by the old guard...?

I don't disagree, but I think the perception is that Bridges is just ok because he doesn't score a lot, isn't a flashy creative player, and doesn't get a lot of rebounds and assists. Most think Oubre's a much better version of the same type of player. Same type of deal in reverse on Rui. I look at what fans of other teams say about Rui on the trade board, and they think he's some untouchable future stud. Is that the way GM's think? Probably not for the most part - but I think there are some GM's out there that can be had.

Thanks for the feedback. I think you're right on the NY draft picks trade - I was giving up a bit more than needed, and I approve your changes. :)

Return to Washington Wizards