Ja(d)en McDaniels

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
And1: 499

Re: Ja(d)en McDaniels 

Post#81 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 28, 2020 5:42 am

NBC Sports https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/2020-nba-draft-sleepers-can-jaden-mcdaniels-develop-kevin-durant

The long and exceedingly lean physique is reminiscent of a Brandon Ingram or a Jonathan Isaac or a Chris Boucher. Or even a young Kevin Durant.

That the resume is as thin as frame partly explains why Jaden McDaniels is a bit of a sleeper. After one season at the University of Washington, there is a chance he’ll sneak into the lottery but it’s more likely he’ll be drafted later in the first round.

Potential is why McDaniels is on the radar of NBA teams, including the Warriors. If Golden State trades out of the top five and drops toward the middle of the draft, McDaniels likely will be available. His game is, at his best, is stellar.

gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#82 » by gobullschi » Thu May 28, 2020 6:05 pm

How does he compare to his brother?
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#83 » by Catchall » Thu May 28, 2020 6:07 pm

gobullschi wrote:How does he compare to his brother?

I think he's markedly better than his brother--better perimeter skills, better handle, better scoring instincts, more natural shooter, maybe a slightly better athlete.

Jaden is a 3, while I think Jalen's lack of perimeter game makes him more of a 4 in Cha, but I haven't watched him much.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#84 » by Catchall » Thu May 28, 2020 6:15 pm

I think McDaniels will be on a short list for the Jazz in the early 20s, if he falls that far, but a big factor will be interviews and a background check. The question with McDaniels is mental toughness. He's going to have to work hard on his body and has a lot of development to do on his game.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

Post#85 » by HornetJail » Thu May 28, 2020 6:22 pm

Catchall wrote:

I think he's markedly better than his brother--better perimeter skills, better handle, better scoring instincts, more natural shooter, maybe a slightly better athlete.

Jaden is a 3, while I think Jalen's lack of perimeter game makes him more of a 4 in Cha, but I haven't watched him much.

we've seen very very little of Jalen so far, but he's been playing both F spots. just 14 games in the rotation before the lockdown, but if Jaden is supposed to be a significantly better all-around player than Jalen I'm interested. This is the kind of draft I wouldn't mind moving down for multiple picks, so he could be in play even though I don't think we really need another PF/SF
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#86 » by kobyz » Thu May 28, 2020 7:23 pm

similar to kelly oubre
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#87 » by clyde21 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Catchall wrote:I think McDaniels will be on a short list for the Jazz in the early 20s, if he falls that far, but a big factor will be interviews and a background check. The question with McDaniels is mental toughness. He's going to have to work hard on his body and has a lot of development to do on his game.

he's gonna be very hit or miss, a lot of it like you said is gonna depend on his work ethic and bbiq, i get why someone might take a chance early if they are not risk averse but i'm not sure the ceiling is worth the gamble early
Catchall
RealGM

Post#88 » by Catchall » Thu May 28, 2020 10:01 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:I think McDaniels will be on a short list for the Jazz in the early 20s, if he falls that far, but a big factor will be interviews and a background check. The question with McDaniels is mental toughness. He's going to have to work hard on his body and has a lot of development to do on his game.

he's gonna be very hit or miss, a lot of it like you said is gonna depend on his work ethic and bbiq, i get why someone might take a chance early if they are not risk averse but i'm not sure the ceiling is worth the gamble early

From the perspective of a team drafting in the 20s, you have a choice: either you can draft McDaniels and bet that you can help him develop his body and his toughness, or you can draft Paul Reed and bet that you can fix his jump shot and bring out whatever ball skills he has. In either case, the outcome you're hoping for is a 6'9 / 220-lb, two-way combo-forward worth starter's minutes. If teams don't believe in McDaniels' mental toughness, they'll likely go with Reed.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#89 » by clyde21 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:05 pm

Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

From the perspective of a team drafting in the 20s, you have a choice: either you can draft McDaniels and bet that you can help him develop his body and his toughness, or you can draft Paul Reed and bet that you can fix his jump shot and bring out whatever ball skills he has. In either case, the outcome you're hoping for is a 6'9 / 220-lb, two-way combo-forward worth starter's minutes. If teams don't believe in McDaniels' mental toughness, they'll likely go with Reed.

the problem is most teams drafting in the 20s are playoff teams so in a lot of cases they are looking for guys that can contribute more immediately in the next playoff runs and don't really have the luxury of waiting a few years to see how a guy like McDaniels pans out

that's why guys like McDaniels when they don't end up going in the lotto end up dropping considerably because after the lotto you start talking about teams looking to make playoff runs and looking more for specific type of fits
Catchall
RealGM

Post#90 » by Catchall » Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

the problem is most teams drafting in the 20s are playoff teams so in a lot of cases they are looking for guys that can contribute more immediately in the next playoff runs and don't really have the luxury of waiting a few years to see how a guy like McDaniels pans out

that's why guys like McDaniels when they don't end up going in the lotto end up dropping considerably because after the lotto you start talking about teams looking to make playoff runs and looking more for specific type of fits

Maybe, or maybe not. Using the Jazz as an example, if you look at the best draft picks they've made in the 20s over the past 20 years, they were Andrei Kirilenko, Rudy Gobert and Deshaun Stevenson--all guys who were young, underdeveloped or otherwise polarizing prospects.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#91 » by clyde21 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:00 pm

Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Maybe, or maybe not. Using the Jazz as an example, if you look at the best draft picks they've made in the 20s over the past 20 years, they were Andrei Kirilenko, Rudy Gobert and Deshaun Stevenson--all guys who were young, underdeveloped or otherwise polarizing prospects.

again, depends on each team, doesn't happen every time, but that's the usual thought process for teams picking in the 20s unless a guy they really like drops
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#92 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Thu May 28, 2020 11:29 pm

Jaden is much better than Jalen all the way around...if Jaden falls to the 20s he will most likely get on a team that will have the luxury to develop him for a season while instilling winning habits into his game/mentality. Which is better than going to a perennial losing team and getting thrown into the fire while developing losing habits.

Jaden's lone season at the UW took a bit of a nosedive after the UW lost their starting point guard Quade Green (Kentucky transfer) in January and had no viable options on their roster to step in for him. The UW was using a 2 guard (Jamal Bey) and a Freshman combo guard in Marcus Tsohonis who burned his redshirt season in January to take over for Quade Green.

The UW's offense mostly centered around dumping the ball into the post to Isaiah Stewart while everyone else had to figure out how to get their own. Plus, the UW had a very young team with no true senior/junior leadership along with very questionable coaching from Mike Hopkins.

I get the feeling that Jaden is going to make a lot of teams look dumb for not drafting him if he does fall in the draft but I still find it very believable that he will go somewhere in the Lottery when all is said and done. He is a certified top 5 talent in this draft and the NBA's wide open game is perfect for his skill set on both ends of the court.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#93 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:21 am

getrichordie wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
You still haven't answered my question about where you are getting your information that he is "arrogant" and "cocky" and has a "short fuse." Even if that is the case, Draymond Green has a short fuse. Ron Artest had a short fuse. A lot of successful players in the NBA have had short fuses.

Surprisingly isnt much written about it, but I saw it just like anyone else watching the games not the highlight reels...
here is an example although its only one other persons comments:
https://www.si.com/college/washington/basketball/mcdaniels-technicals-add-up-and-prove-costly

All I’m seeing is that he gets caught up in the heat of the moment and is competitive. If you held that kind of stuff against players, then you wouldn’t have a Stephenson, a Artest, a Green, and a whole lot of really good players. He’s young. It’s not like this means he’s going to be this way forever...

Lots of people doing NBA big boards (e.g. Chad Ford) have mentioned the attitude issues as something NBA scouts are concerned about. Perhaps they are mistaken - I think they often mistake being introverted with not caring, for example - but we will see.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#94 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Mon Jun 1, 2020 11:24 pm

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#95 » by getrichordie » Mon Jun 1, 2020 11:27 pm

Spoiler:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:

Jesus. Dude. All you do is post videos. Stop trying to shove a prospect down our throats. You are worse than a bible thumper.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#96 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Mon Jun 1, 2020 11:35 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Spoiler:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:

Jesus. Dude. All you do is post videos. Stop trying to shove a prospect down our throats. You are worse than a bible thumper.

FYI- this is a thread about Jaden McDaniels, buddy-o-pal. So, save your dry drama drag and put it in a bag- ziplock. Peace

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#97 » by getrichordie » Mon Jun 1, 2020 11:49 pm

Spoiler:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:

FYI- this is a thread about Jaden McDaniels, buddy-o-pal. So, save your dry drama drag and put it in a bag- ziplock. Peace

Um, dude. You are looking at the creator of the thread.

:crazy:
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#98 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Tue Jun 2, 2020 12:11 am

getrichordie wrote:
Spoiler:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Um, dude. You are looking at the creator of the thread.

:crazy:

No ish Sherlock. Then you should recognize game instead of coming at me lame. :pityfool:

Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#99 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Tue Jun 2, 2020 12:20 am

Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:Jaden is much better than Jalen all the way around...if Jaden falls to the 20s he will most likely get on a team that will have the luxury to develop him for a season while instilling winning habits into his game/mentality. Which is better than going to a perennial losing team and getting thrown into the fire while developing losing habits.

Jaden's lone season at the UW took a bit of a nosedive after the UW lost their starting point guard Quade Green (Kentucky transfer) in January and had no viable options on their roster to step in for him. The UW was using a 2 guard (Jamal Bey) and a Freshman combo guard in Marcus Tsohonis who burned his redshirt season in January to take over for Quade Green.

The UW's offense mostly centered around dumping the ball into the post to Isaiah Stewart while everyone else had to figure out how to get their own. Plus, the UW had a very young team with no true senior/junior leadership along with very questionable coaching from Mike Hopkins.

I get the feeling that Jaden is going to make a lot of teams look dumb for not drafting him if he does fall in the draft but I still find it very believable that he will go somewhere in the Lottery when all is said and done. He is a certified top 5 talent in this draft and the NBA's wide open game is perfect for his skill set on both ends of the court.

getrichordie wrote:
Spoiler:
Sir-Swish-A-Lot wrote:

And furthermore, buddy, if you actually read your own thread before posting up some untrue balderdash you would have seen a recent post from me explaining in detail about Jaden with no video- simple minds for complicated times. You mad, bro? :argue:

Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior

Post#100 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Tue Jun 2, 2020 5:50 am

Jaden McDaniels
Position: Forward
Class: Freshman
Birthdate: Sept. 29, 2000 (19)
Hometown: Federal Way, Wash.
2019-20 stats: 13.0 points (40.5 percent FG, 33.9 percent 3p, 76.3 percent FT), 5.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.4 blocks.
Height: 6-foot-10
Weight: 200
Wingspan: 7 feet

What they’re saying: “You know the funny thing is, and I don’t mean funny to make a joke, but only really good players can lead a league in (turnovers and fouls). You go take a look at the all-time leaders on those lists and it’s nothing but Hall of Famers. I say that to say, how good must Jaden be to where he’s giving you so much that it outweighs those things you don’t like? And the answer is, he’s really, really good. Now as a coach, you have to ask yourself: ‘What can I live with and how can we curb some of those erratic behaviors?’” – former Warriors coach and current NBA/NCAA analyst P.J. Carlesimo, to the Seattle Times.

Return to NBA Draft