ImageImageImage

For the Tank, Play more games or OK with 5th worst record?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

For the Tank, Play more games or OK with 5th worst record? 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Fri May 29, 2020 1:16 pm

There has been some discussion of the NBA making teams play up to 70 regular season games so that they can get all the money from local TV deals.

Pistons have played 66 games at this point and if the NBA goes to 70 would mean they play their next four games before calling it a season. In all honesty, it seems crazy to me they would bring back the lottery teams to play 4 more games but I suppose a lot of money is on the line for those extra four to five games per team.

Our next four games on the schedule.
@ Toronto
vs Orlando
vs GS
vs LA Lakers

We are currently just a half game ahead of Atlanta, Cleveland, and Minnesota in the standings so its entirely possible if we played 4 more games and went 0-4 we could fall down to second worst record in the NBA with only GSW having a worst record.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Re: For the Tank, Play more games or OK with 5th worst record? 

Post#2 » by DCintheD » Fri May 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Blake can play up his trade value but we could also win meaningless games and ruin our position. Double edged sword.
I like the 5th spot odds especially for how underwhelming this draft is.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#3 » by Billl » Fri May 29, 2020 2:00 pm

I think covid19 might just be God's way of telling everyone he couldn't watch this current pistons team even one second longer. If you try to put them back on the floor, someone is getting smote.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#4 » by DBC10 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:09 pm

Lol at the thought of teams like us or even the Knicks to play the most meaningless 4 games of their careers.

The sheer dread might make them not even suit up.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#5 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Im fine with it honestly, still good enough odds to move up and if not then there's still plenty of options. Now if this was last years draft with Zion there i would be sweating it.

We are close to that 2nd pick but it could backfire.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#6 » by bstein14 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:38 pm

DBC10 wrote:Lol at the thought of teams like us or even the Knicks to play the most meaningless 4 games of their careers.

The lineups some teams might put out.... the lack of effort ... I could see some of the poorest defensive efforts in NBA history.

The Pistons are actually near the top of the league as far as how much their local TV deal pays the team, at $35+ million per year. That means they would likely have to return $5+ million in local TV money if they don't play 4 more games. A pretty huge reason for the NBA and the players to play a few more games, but also I can understand why many players won't want to even if it means less money in basketball contracts in the future.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 169

Post#7 » by JNewton » Fri May 29, 2020 3:50 pm

It'd certainly be nice to lose more games. Not sure of the schedule the teams behind the Pistons in the standings have, but realistically they're not going to be putting forth any effort to win games either.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#8 » by DBC10 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:42 pm

bstein14 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:Lol at the thought of teams like us or even the Knicks to play the most meaningless 4 games of their careers.

The lineups some teams might put out.... the lack of effort ... I could see some of the poorest defensive efforts in NBA history.

The Pistons are actually near the top of the league as far as how much their local TV deal pays the team, at $35+ million per year. That means they would likely have to return $5+ million in local TV money if they don't play 4 more games. A pretty huge reason for the NBA and the players to play a few more games, but also I can understand why many players won't want to even if it means less money in basketball contracts in the future.

And also a huge amount of these guys are not in game shape at all since you can never truly replicate the reps and feel of the real game. It’ll be pretty dreadful to watch just watching our team or the other tanking teams be basically be practice fodder for the playoff bound teams. I can see some dudes opting to play for five minutes and ticketing to go to Cancun afterwards
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Post#9 » by Invictus88 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:58 pm

The NBA will be doing everything it can to reduce the number of people involved to lessen the chance that covid creeps in. One obvious way to do this is limiting the number of teams involved in games.

I can't see them increasing that risk just to involve teams that have no shot at winning a title.

As a player I also wouldn't even want to risk exposure just to play some meaningless games at the end of the season either.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#10 » by Manocad » Fri May 29, 2020 9:15 pm

Billl wrote:I think covid19 might just be God's way of telling everyone he couldn't watch this current pistons team even one second longer. If you try to put them back on the floor, someone is getting smote.

Yep.

As a Pistons fan, even though the team could potentially improve their draft position, I personally don't see any compelling reason for 4 more games to be played. I had already stopped watching games on a regular basis like I used to, so four more games wouldn't mean jack to me. And being that it doesn't look like there's a clear "These guys are definitely the 1-2 picks then there's everybody else," the draft position doesn't mean much to me either.

As an NBA fan the only reason that would compel me to watch is holding a playoffs based on the current records, and that's only if I was a fan of a team that would be in the playoffs. Without a playoff and a championship I don't see why the players would have an interest in playing four more games that bring risk but no reward.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#11 » by coordinator0 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Seems like Detroit is done for the season.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,030

Post#12 » by NYPiston » Sat May 30, 2020 3:41 am

Absolutely pointless for the bottom teams to come back and play for many reasons.
With that said, it would probably be better for lottery position if they did bring back all the teams to finish the regular season. Tough schedule and the team was in major tank mode prior to the pause.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#13 » by DetroitDon15 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 10:47 pm

At this point, shut it down. The Pistons have nothing to play for. I think the lotto should only include those not allowed into the bubble. No need for the bottom tankers to give zero effort. I honestly believe we could see a team give up 200 if the tankers enter the bubble.

Return to Detroit Pistons