ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,974

Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V 

Post#1701 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed May 27, 2020 4:02 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Look R.Kelly is the only guy who can give Usher comp and like the tweet said we aren’t touching that

I would like a JT vs.Robin Thicke battle though

i think urshurr and JT is actually a good matchup.

robin thicke is not in any of these guys weight class. he doesn't have the discography.

Don’t sleep on Robin Thicke. He got hits and some guest songs. Plus there is a prior comp there. Pharrell and RT be. Timbo and JT. It’s what the masses deserve

Usher vs. JT also isn’t fair because of how long ushers catalog goes. It’s really is deep as hell, and even his new stuff bangs.

yeah, not trying to downplay thicke. i guess i just don't see him as the level of star as JT and usher. i agree that usher has the discography on both of them. but when you pick 20, i think usher and JT can find a depth that robin wouldn't be able to. but that's just me.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1702 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed May 27, 2020 4:03 pm

my brother suggested mase vs. cam'ron. obviously we're from harlem, but that would be fun. haha.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,479

Post#1703 » by WargamesX » Wed May 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:my brother suggested mase vs. cam'ron. obviously we're from harlem, but that would be fun. haha.

Cam would body Mase. I can’t think of someone to put Cam against.... maybe 50?
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1704 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed May 27, 2020 4:58 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:my brother suggested mase vs. cam'ron. obviously we're from harlem, but that would be fun. haha.

i thought cam would win it at first glance... but mase hit very hard in a short time.

you only have to take 11 of 20. harlem world was a chart topping album. mase's singles and features are HEAVY. cam would have to obviously shake mase out of 1997. but if he can't...
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1705 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed May 27, 2020 5:20 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

i thought cam would win it at first glance... but mase hit very hard in a short time.

you only have to take 11 of 20. harlem world was a chart topping album. mase's singles and features are HEAVY. cam would have to obviously shake mase out of 1997. but if he can't...

i think cam and 50 cent is a really good pairing. cam's prime really cam in his second run after he came back from illness. it was a hard adjustment for me, but i grew to appreciate the icon he became. i like cam more than i like 50 overall.

not to derail, but just off the top of my head i picture mase's 20 looking something like this:

feel so good
only you (112)
24 hours to live
been around the world (puffy)
can't nobody hold me down (puffy)
n----z done started somethin (from DMX it's dark and hell is hot)
what you want
n----z wanna act
breathe, stretch, shake
lookin at me
mo money mo problems
top of the world (Brandy)
from scratch
wanna hurt mase
honey :dontknow:

maybe some children of the corn, some mixtape curveballs. catalog nowhere near as deep as cam's. but you just have to win more rounds when confined to 20. i think cam struggles with those smash collaborations. mase struggles with depth.

few rappers have had a brighter 2-3-year run than mase. biggie is the only i can think of off top.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Post#1706 » by Phish Tank » Wed May 27, 2020 5:47 pm

so here's who I'd like to see next on Verzuz in any sort of way:

Busta
Snoop
Jadakiss
Usher
Jermaine Dupri
Trackmasters
Puff & the Hitmen
Just Blaze
Fabolous
T.I.
E-40
Wayne
Missy
J. Lo
Mary J Blige
Supercat
Chris Brown

Note I don't expect Pharrell, Just Blaze, or Drake to agree to doing this, for various reasons.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,479

Post#1707 » by WargamesX » Thu May 28, 2020 4:15 am

Fab vs Cam would also be a great Versus.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,556

Post#1708 » by Fat Kat » Thu May 28, 2020 9:52 am

WargamesX wrote:

Cam wouldn’t stand a chance. Hits + songs with Biggie. That’s the formula. Mase vs. 50 would be fair.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1709 » by E-Balla » Thu May 28, 2020 12:02 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

Cam wouldn’t stand a chance. Hits + songs with Biggie. That’s the formula. Mase vs. 50 would be fair.

Made wouldn't come close to 50. 50 was a phenom. Not many can stack up. Mase needs a Big Sean type to match up with but an old school version. One of those artists that are shockingly more accomplished than like 99% of other guys even though they're not well respected.

Big Sean got more chart success than J Cole and Kendrick I think.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1710 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu May 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Phish Tank wrote:so here's who I'd like to see next on Verzuz in any sort of way:

Busta
Snoop
Jadakiss
Usher
Jermaine Dupri
Trackmasters
Puff & the Hitmen
Just Blaze
Fabolous
T.I.
E-40
Wayne
Missy
J. Lo
Mary J Blige
Supercat
Chris Brown

Note I don't expect Pharrell, Just Blaze, or Drake to agree to doing this, for various reasons.

love the list. curious as to why you don't think just blaze would do it.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#1711 » by Phish Tank » Thu May 28, 2020 3:35 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:so here's who I'd like to see next on Verzuz in any sort of way:

Busta
Snoop
Jadakiss
Usher
Jermaine Dupri
Trackmasters
Puff & the Hitmen
Just Blaze
Fabolous
T.I.
E-40
Wayne
Missy
J. Lo
Mary J Blige
Supercat
Chris Brown

love the list. curious as to why you don't think just blaze would do it.

Blaze did the first ever producer battle with Swizz a few years ago. He's hinted before that family reasons and a lack of interest motivated him not to participate.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,919

Post#1712 » by SelbyCobra » Fri May 29, 2020 3:13 am

Busta
Snoop
Jadakiss
Usher
Jermaine Dupri
Trackmasters
Puff & the Hitmen
Just Blaze
Fabolous
T.I.
E-40
Wayne
Missy
J. Lo
Mary J Blige
Supercat
Chris Brown

Of that list Snoop is an objectively clear #1 artist seed to me, but Busta is the guy who could knock anybody out at any time no mater where he's seeded coming into the matchup. We were talking about it earlier in the thread, but his catalogue is not only deep, but overflowing with those screwface bangers, which is what plays the absolute best in these battles.

You saw it with Luda vs Nelly. Nelly had some of the biggest hits on the whole, but even those songs that everyone knows and made a ton of money for him didn't play as well as Luda's 15th best song because they were treble-filled, relatively innocuous sounding songs in retrospect. An aggressive beat, aggressive flow/cadence, and aggressive lyrics make these things, and Busta has so, so many of those types of songs. Even his collabs with female singers go hard :lol: .
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#1713 » by Phish Tank » Fri May 29, 2020 3:59 am

SelbyCobra wrote:

Busta
Snoop
Jadakiss
Usher
Jermaine Dupri
Trackmasters
Puff & the Hitmen
Just Blaze
Fabolous
T.I.
E-40
Wayne
Missy
J. Lo
Mary J Blige
Supercat
Chris Brown

Of that list Snoop is an objectively clear #1 artist seed to me, but Busta is the guy who could knock anybody out at any time no mater where he's seeded coming into the matchup. We were talking about it earlier in the thread, but his catalogue is not only deep, but overflowing with those screwface bangers, which is what plays the absolute best in these battles.

You saw it with Luda vs Nelly. Nelly had some of the biggest hits on the whole, but even those songs that everyone knows and made a ton of money for him didn't play as well as Luda's 15th best song because they were treble-filled, relatively innocuous sounding songs in retrospect. An aggressive beat, aggressive flow/cadence, and aggressive lyrics make these things, and Busta has so, so many of those types of songs. Even his collabs with female singers go hard :lol: .

Oh I agree about Snoop & Busta. Their overflow songs would be nuts. I know I'm missing a lot of R&B, Reggae, & Hip-Hop cats... I thought about Fat Joe earlier, thinking his guest verses and songs could get him around 20.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,919

Post#1714 » by SelbyCobra » Fri May 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Phish Tank wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

Busta
Snoop
Jadakiss
Usher
Jermaine Dupri
Trackmasters
Puff & the Hitmen
Just Blaze
Fabolous
T.I.
E-40
Wayne
Missy
J. Lo
Mary J Blige
Supercat
Chris Brown

Oh I agree about Snoop & Busta. Their overflow songs would be nuts. I know I'm missing a lot of R&B, Reggae, & Hip-Hop cats... I thought about Fat Joe earlier, thinking his guest verses and songs could get him around 20.

Totally agree on Joe. I think he'd take out a lot of dudes that would go into a Verzuz matchup with him as the prohibitive favorite.

I've been trying to figure out a group battle that would work. Not a crew battle (so no Dipset vs G-Unit type stuff). Mobb vs Lox? Naughty? That would be fun...
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#1715 » by King of Canada » Fri May 29, 2020 4:51 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

Totally agree on Joe. I think he'd take out a lot of dudes that would go into a Verzuz matchup with him as the prohibitive favorite.

I've been trying to figure out a group battle that would work. Not a crew battle (so no Dipset vs G-Unit type stuff). Mobb vs Lox? Naughty? That would be fun...

Don't sleep on Earl 8-)
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#1716 » by Phish Tank » Fri May 29, 2020 8:46 pm

King of Canada wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:

Don't sleep on Earl 8-)

You know how much I love Earl KOC!

I’d love to just have him vibe out with any rapper.... too short, Scarface, I don’t care. 40 Water is an OG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#1717 » by Phish Tank » Fri May 29, 2020 8:46 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

Big Boi would be fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#1718 » by Phish Tank » Sat May 30, 2020 3:19 pm

btw.... someone connected the dots but George Floyd was a part of the H-Town Screwed Up Click

Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#1719 » by Kampuchea » Mon Jun 1, 2020 1:51 am

Random one I’m liking right now

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1720 » by E-Balla » Tue Jun 2, 2020 12:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Full song is out but this is a contender for verse of the decade already.

Return to New York Knicks