Any Smailagic believers?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Re: Any Smailagic believers? 

Post#21 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu May 28, 2020 5:35 pm

FNQ wrote:I believe he's a young Brian Cardinal I guess

yeah, I was going to say his ceiling is probably The Custodian maybe with a little more skill
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,823

Post#22 » by cdubbz » Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:

yeah, I was going to say his ceiling is probably The Custodian maybe with a little more skill

A useful low minute hustle guy is always needed. But we’re in title mode the next two seasons and this past season was his time to get minutes to gain experience.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#23 » by HiRez » Thu May 28, 2020 6:27 pm

cdubbz wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:

A useful low minute hustle guy is always needed. But we’re in title mode the next two seasons and this past season was his time to get minutes to gain experience.

That's what concerns me, even before COVID, even on an absolutely putrid team with lots of injuries and plenty of playing time available, he couldn't crack regular minutes. And except for a few moments, he hardly distinguished himself when he did get time. Too early to declare him a bust but he's all potential right now, we really haven't seen any progression.

And yeah, next year he's going to find it very difficult to get any meaningful minutes on this team, even moreso if they acquire a Wiseman, Okongwu, etc. He's probably going to have to dominate in Santa Cruz for an extended period to get a shot. Championship teams need predictable production with minimal mistakes and right now Smailagic is too erratic.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#24 » by floppymoose » Fri May 29, 2020 1:14 am

He's like 12 years old. Let's give him a couple of years first.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#25 » by cdubbz » Fri May 29, 2020 3:04 pm

floppymoose wrote:He's like 12 years old. Let's give him a couple of years first.

That’s my question though.

Is it worth keeping a roster spot for a player who is years away from being the next Brian Cardinal?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#26 » by azwfan » Fri May 29, 2020 3:47 pm

cdubbz wrote:
floppymoose wrote:He's like 12 years old. Let's give him a couple of years first.

Is it worth keeping a roster spot for a player who is years away from being the next Brian Cardinal?

If that's what you think he will be... no. But if one believes he can/will be more... then possibly yes.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#27 » by TB » Fri May 29, 2020 5:56 pm

He's got a pretty unique combo of skill and motor. More often than not, a player has just one of those.

After that, you look at if the player has size, athleticism, and IQ. I think his size/athleticism will be passable at his positions, and even though he has had a ton of lapses, his IQ has shown flashes of being a + for his positions. The game just needs to slow down for him.

Looking at our roster, he should slot into one of the 3rd team spots at 4/5. Or at least that would be my hope, Smiley being our 6th big.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#28 » by floppymoose » Fri May 29, 2020 7:59 pm

azwfan wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

If that's what you think he will be... no. But if one believes he can/will be more... then possibly yes.

Even if he's the next Cardinal, it's still worth it unless there is someone better to give the spot to.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#29 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 29, 2020 8:13 pm

floppymoose wrote:
azwfan wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

Even if he's the next Cardinal, it's still worth it unless there is someone better to give the spot to.

Exactly, you'll get a minimum salary guy to take up the end of the bench. I don't know why people are anxious to get rid of him, the Warriors have all next year to evaluate him for $1.5M, then his next two years are non-guaranteed. If he turns into something they have two more cheap years, if not they can cut him loose.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#30 » by HiRez » Fri May 29, 2020 10:23 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
floppymoose wrote:
azwfan wrote:If that's what you think he will be... no. But if one believes he can/will be more... then possibly yes.

Exactly, you'll get a minimum salary guy to take up the end of the bench. I don't know why people are anxious to get rid of him, the Warriors have all next year to evaluate him for $1.5M, then his next two years are non-guaranteed. If he turns into something they have two more cheap years, if not they can cut him loose.

I'm not expecting much from him because I like to keep expectations low for young guys, but I certainly don't want to get rid of him...did anyone say they want to get rid of him?
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,269

Post#31 » by CS707 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Junior Lacob isn't letting go of his pride and joy.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#32 » by cdubbz » Sun May 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Wonder if any team would even scoop him up if we cut him.
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#33 » by Kuya » Sun May 31, 2020 8:10 pm

He is going to thrive once he's able to play with our core 3, still has huge potential
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#34 » by Coxy » Mon Jun 1, 2020 12:17 am

cdubbz wrote:Wonder if any team would even scoop him up if we cut him.

I think they would. Dude is barely out of nappies.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#35 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 12:46 am

I like the kid and even when he spazzed out, he would do 2 things that were positive for every one spaztastic event.

If he can consistently shoot the ball, he's gonna be good for us. Multi skilled big. He's got a really good feel for the game.

He's just about as raw as raw gets.

And by the way... Brian Cardinal has a ring.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#36 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 9:52 pm

NBA GMs are pulling for more roster spots beyond just these playoffs. If they are granted it's good news for player development in general and Smiley specifically.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#37 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jun 7, 2020 1:24 am

There is nothing wrong with using a 2nd round draft pick to acquire a Brian Cardina, but he is using up a roster spot while we wait for him to turn into Brian Crdinal.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#38 » by Little Digger » Sun Jun 7, 2020 5:34 pm

I like the kid’s style..Keep Smailagic , Toscano-Anderson, Paschall, On a Bender, Wiggins , Chriss, Lee, Mulder and Poole.

I don’t care about winning all that much (I do plenty of that in Stocks-Poker)..just want to have a Warrior team I like to follow through all the twists and turns
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#39 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 pm

He reminds me of Donyell Marshal a bit....lanky...shooting range...a bit on the slow side.

If he could end up being Marshal like with an actual motor and IQ …. could be a gem :)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#40 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Donyell Marshall was like a poor man's Kevin Durant. Smailagic doesn't have small forward quickness. Smailagic reminds me more of Troy Murphy than Donyell. He also reminds me as more of Dunleavy than Donyell. If Smailagic can become 1/4 Žarko Čabarkapa, 1/4 Troy Murphy, 1/4 Dunleavy, 1/4 Donyell then I would be very happy.

Power forward is the Warriors deepest position. Draymond. Then Paschall who I don't think is good as a small forward. Then Looney and Chriss, our undersized centers that are arguably power forwards. Then Toscano-Anderson and Wiggins that can play power forward.

Is Smailagic still eligible to play in Santa Cruz? His flashes of talent make me not want to give up on him but I am not sure he is ready to play meaningful minutes a stretch shooting big man yet. He might be ready in 2022. He is very young but he did not improve much last year.

Maybe Paschall will be proven enough to have significant trade value by the end of next year and trading Paschall could open up a spot for Smailagic as Draymond's back up.

Return to Golden State Warriors