Gregg Popovich: The System Has To Change

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Gregg Popovich: The System Has To Change 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 1, 2020 5:42 pm

Gregg Popovich reached out to Dave Zirin of The Nation on Sunday to discuss the demonstrations following the police murder of George Floyd.

“The thing that strikes me is that we all see this police violence and racism and we’ve seen it all before but nothing changes," said Popovich. "That’s why these protests have been so explosive. But without leadership and an understanding of what the problem is, there will never be change. And white Americans have avoided reckoning with this problem forever because it’s been our privilege to be able to avoid it. That also has to change.”

Popovich sees a leadership void at the White House in Donald Trump.

“It’s unbelievable. If Trump had a brain, even if it was 99 percent cynical, he would come out and say something to unify people. But he doesn’t care about bringing people together. Even now. That’s how deranged he is. It’s all about him. It’s all about what benefits him personally. It’s never about the greater good. And that’s all he’s ever been.”

Popovich then imagined a different kind of leadership.

“It’s so clear what needs to be done. We need a president to come out and say simply that ‘Black Lives Matter.’ Just say those three words. But he won’t and he can’t. He can’t because it’s more important to him to mollify the small group of followers who validate his insanity. But it’s more than just Trump. The system has to change. I’ll do whatever I can do to help because that’s what leaders do. But he can’t do anything to put us on a positive path because he’s not a leader.

“It’s like what Lindsay Graham and Ted Cruz used to say when they had the courage to say it: He’s unfit. But they have chosen instead to be invisible and obsequious in the face of this carnage. In the end what we have is a fool in place of a president, while the person who really runs the country, Senator Mitch McConnell, destroys the United States for generations to come. McConnell has destroyed and degraded our judicial system. He has tried to destroy heath care. He’s destroyed the environment. He’s the master and Trump’s the stooge, and what’s funny is that Trump doesn’t even know it. Trump’s always wanted to be part of the in-group, but McConnell is an in-group of one and Trump plays the fool.”

Via Dave Zirin/The Nation

BernteB
Senior
And1: 905

Re: Gregg Popovich: The System Has To Change 

Post#2 » by BernteB » Mon Jun 1, 2020 6:41 pm

the world needs more Gregg Popovichs.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,889

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 1, 2020 6:46 pm

GOAT
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#4 » by BarneyGumble » Mon Jun 1, 2020 7:26 pm

This is not change, Gregg. You blaming the current sitting Republican President for the world's ills is not change. Its status quo. Just like what conservatives did when they didnt like something in the prior era....just blame Obama.

Way to be a leader and stand up and talk about the issue, Gregg! :banghead:
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,538

Post#5 » by lonzo_pelota » Mon Jun 1, 2020 7:40 pm

Pop is a stand up guy
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#6 » by 23artest23 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 7:57 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:This is not change, Gregg. You blaming the current sitting Republican President for the world's ills is not change. Its status quo. Just like what conservatives did when they didnt like something in the prior era....just blame Obama.

You and your thinking is part of the problem.
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#7 » by popfan » Mon Jun 1, 2020 8:16 pm

lonzo_pelota wrote:Pop is a stand up guy

Yes he is but his words just might get him fired as head coach of the US basketball team. Maybe that's just the fight that needs to happen within the NBA. Perhaps Pop -- near the end of an amazing coaching career -- is daring the owners, the commish and the president to fire him. What has he got to lose?

Pop and Trump exchanged barbs several months ago, a public battle which Pop won. When the dust settled, both were conspicously silent.

Somewhere in the SF bay area, Joe Lacob cluelessly believes that Pop's fire is a business opportunity for his declining franchise...
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#8 » by Rek » Mon Jun 1, 2020 8:29 pm

popfan wrote:

Yes he is but his words just might get him fired as head coach of the US basketball team. Maybe that's just the fight that needs to happen within the NBA. Perhaps Pop -- near the end of an amazing coaching career -- is daring the owners, the commish and the president to fire him. What has he got to lose?

Pop and Trump exchanged barbs several months ago, a public battle which Pop won. When the dust settled, both were conspicously silent.

Somewhere in the SF bay area, Joe Lacob cluelessly believes that Pop's fire is a business opportunity for his declining franchise...

No idea wtf you're going on about. The NBA is by FAR the most liberal minded league in the country and it's not close. Pop is in zero danger for his job with the league or the Olympics. Literally Zero. With your mindset, good luck explaining how Morey still has a job.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#9 » by captain green » Mon Jun 1, 2020 8:30 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:This is not change, Gregg. You blaming the current sitting Republican President for the world's ills is not change. Its status quo. Just like what conservatives did when they didnt like something in the prior era....just blame Obama.

His last remarks says it's not just trump it's a system change needed. Trump is a racist womanizer and bullies he has no clue how to relate to anyone well except racists and cowards. Try harder at reading and like the other poster said you are a part of the problem. Buy a mirror and sell your b.s.to yourself cause no one with a brain understands you
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,701

Post#10 » by BigGargamel » Mon Jun 1, 2020 9:42 pm

As usual, Pop knows what’s going on. Gregg Popovich for president.

I’m saddened by how many people in this comment section and all comment sections that just do not get it. People in this country need to be smarter.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#11 » by Elnegron » Mon Jun 1, 2020 10:58 pm

Old pop is there to criticize trump. He has an agenda that u can see a mile away. Did he criticize Obama when rioting,looting and killing happened under him?no he didn't so why all of the sudden his opinion matters now
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#12 » by deepeeenn » Mon Jun 1, 2020 11:45 pm

popfan wrote:

Stop. Just stop.

Basketball is nothing compared to whats systemically wrong here. Pop doesn't care about what happens to his USA head coaching position because he knows this message is more important. Bottom line.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#13 » by castor777 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 11:52 pm

Elnegron wrote:Old pop is there to criticize trump. He has an agenda that u can see a mile away. Did he criticize Obama when rioting,looting and killing happened under him?no he didn't so why all of the sudden his opinion matters now

Because Obama wasn't encouraging violence, calling them thugs and threatening to shoot them and now demanding to call in the military. This isn't about placing blame at every president when a riot happens in this country. Protests and rioting are going to occur so long as this country stands by and does nothing in trying to change its ways and staying silent in the face of injustice. But if you think inciting more violence and encouraging a military state is the answer you want, you're going to find yourself at a major divide with many other fellow Americans. Go ahead and stand with Trump is you want, I'll be here with Black Lives Matter hoping my voice is heard and not promoting more violence.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#14 » by 23artest23 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 12:46 am

Elnegron wrote:Old pop is there to criticize trump. He has an agenda that u can see a mile away. Did he criticize Obama when rioting,looting and killing happened under him?no he didn't so why all of the sudden his opinion matters now

If your seeing his agenda from a mile away, why don't you clue us all in?
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#15 » by hyberx » Tue Jun 2, 2020 1:46 am

Because Obama wasn't ... calling them thugs

LOL. Yup people just want to believe whatever fantasy they choose to believe through their rosy glasses.

2015, Obama called Baltimore rioters "thugs"
[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]
hyberx
Starter

Post#16 » by hyberx » Tue Jun 2, 2020 1:55 am

Great talk, Pop. I remember your courage calling out Obama for all these racial riots during his watch and demanding real changes rather than mere eloquent BS.
Oakland – 2010
Los Angeles – 2010
Los Angeles – 2012
Anaheim – 2012
Brooklyn – 2013
Ferguson – 2014
Berkeley – 2014
Baltimore – 2015
St. Paul – 2016
Milwaukee – 2016
Charlotte – 2016
Five riots in his first term in office, six in his second term. All cities controlled by democrats, just like most of those that are burning and being looted right now.

I remember you called for leadership. I remember you demanded real actions to stop violence instead of cheap words and lip services. I remember you call for racial unity rather than division.

Of course, none of these I claimed to remember ever happened. But hey don't let facts get into the way of a great talk for your agenda, Pop. Because you are a great coach, so I remembered.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#17 » by castor777 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 3:06 am

hyberx wrote:Great talk, Pop. I remember your courage calling out Obama for all these racial riots during his watch and demanding real changes rather than mere eloquent BS.
Oakland – 2010
Los Angeles – 2010
Los Angeles – 2012
Anaheim – 2012
Brooklyn – 2013
Ferguson – 2014
Berkeley – 2014
Baltimore – 2015
St. Paul – 2016
Milwaukee – 2016
Charlotte – 2016
Five riots in his first term in office, six in his second term. All cities controlled by democrats, just like most of those that are burning and being looted right now.

I remember you called for leadership. I remember you demanded real actions to stop violence instead of cheap words and lip services. I remember you call for racial unity rather than division.

Of course, none of these I claimed to remember ever happened. But hey don't let facts get into the way of a great talk for your agenda, Pop. Because you are a great coach, so I remembered.

You're the fool here who thinks he's making a solid point by counting riots when we just had them in every major city every day over the weekend. Keep it up dude, you're about as clueless as bunker Donny holding a Bible upside down a boarded up church for a photo op. Great talk, hyb.
hyberx
Starter

Post#18 » by hyberx » Tue Jun 2, 2020 3:49 am

castor777 wrote:You're the fool here who thinks he's making a solid point by counting riots when we just had them in every major city every day over the weekend. Keep it up dude, you're about as clueless as bunker Donny holding a Bible upside down a boarded up church for a photo op. Great talk, hyb.

Calling someone a fool is easy, fool. Ignoring hypocrisy and facts while screaming mindlessly like you are doing do nothing to real justice and it only makes you look more idiotic. Great talk, indeed.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#19 » by Vegeta10176 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 9:38 am

hyberx wrote:Great talk, Pop. I remember your courage calling out Obama for all these racial riots during his watch and demanding real changes rather than mere eloquent BS.
Oakland – 2010
Los Angeles – 2010
Los Angeles – 2012
Anaheim – 2012
Brooklyn – 2013
Ferguson – 2014
Berkeley – 2014
Baltimore – 2015
St. Paul – 2016
Milwaukee – 2016
Charlotte – 2016

Riots happen but I bet Obama showed more leadership than the total moron in office right now.. That said Obama legislatively achieved very little change and no real criminal justice reform so being Critical of Obama is more than fair however Trump is on anothet level of incompetence and pop is right he dances to Mitches tune never knowing he is the puppet and Mitch is the puppet master..
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#20 » by jozef » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:10 am

I agree with Pop. Trump is The Stupidity at its best.

Return to Wiretap Discussion