Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,904

Re: Nine years ago today 

Post#2 » by Dirk » Wed Jun 3, 2020 10:25 am

fuller4379 wrote:;t=337s

It's unbelievable how time flies.

I will never forget Wade's expression at the end.

By the way, during this quarantine, I have been re-watching some of the games from that playoff run.

Good times.
60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#3 » by fuller4379 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:40 am

Dirk wrote:

By the way, during this quarantine, I have been re-watching some of the games from that playoff run.

Good times.

That series got Dirk out of the Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Charles Barkley level and into the next level up. Kidd, JET, Matrix, Chandler, Barea, and Stephenson all had their moments in the series. It was a team with a lot of good pieces and a coach who always seemed to know when to put who into the game. I think the Mavericks were much more motivated because they were older and most the players knew it might be their last shot. I wish they would have signed everyone to attempt a repeat. I doubt lightning would have struck twice, but I would have liked to seem them try.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,904

Post#4 » by Dirk » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:07 am

fuller4379 wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Good times.

That series got Dirk out of the Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Charles Barkley level and into the next level up. Kidd, JET, Matrix, Chandler, Barea, and Stephenson all had their moments in the series. It was a team with a lot of good pieces and a coach who always seemed to know when to put who into the game. I think the Mavericks were much more motivated because they were older and most the players knew it might be their last shot. I wish they would have signed everyone to attempt a repeat. I doubt lightning would have struck twice, but I would have liked to seem them try.

I will also always remember that meltdown in Portland and how miserable it felt back then.

Back then, I remember feeling that it was worth a shot to sacrifice the title team and attempt to get 'a big fish'. Knowing what we know now, it'd have been much better to sign everyone back and at least have a solid season. After winning, it sucked that it was a lockout year as well. And it was excruciating to then hope to sign X, Y & Z and not get it done year after year after year.
60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by fuller4379 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 2:35 pm

Dirk wrote:I will also always remember that meltdown in Portland and how miserable it felt back then.

Back then, I remember feeling that it was worth a shot to sacrifice the title team and attempt to get 'a big fish'. Knowing what we know now, it'd have been much better to sign everyone back and at least have a solid season. After winning, it sucked that it was a lockout year as well. And it was excruciating to then hope to sign X, Y & Z and not get it done year after year after year.

I understand why they broke the team up. They didn't want to overpay a bunch of older players. The big fish never came, but it had looked the Nelson rebuilt the team in 2014 with solid second tier acquisitions. The start of the 2014-15 season was looking good until the Rajon Rondo trade derailed everything. He destroyed team chemistry, then Chandler Parsons broke down, and Monta Ellis got disgruntled because he was making much less money than Chandler Parsons.

At least we are back on the uptick again. We got two stars in Luka and Porzingis. We just need to continue adding role players around them. Curry and THJ are a good start to that.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#6 » by dirkforpres » Thu Jun 4, 2020 3:13 pm

Wade laying on the ground looking for a foul while Dirk fist pumped the victory was so satisfying. I have this photo framed in my game room. Such an iconic moment and a true tipping point for the series and franchise
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 4:42 am

dirkforpres wrote:Image

Wade laying on the ground looking for a foul while Dirk fist pumped the victory was so satisfying. I have this photo framed in my game room. Such an iconic moment and a true tipping point for the series and franchise

The irony here is that in 2006 there were so many fake fouls called that benefited Wade.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,537

Post#8 » by Dominator83 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:14 pm

Bulls fan here! Loved seeing you guys destroy the Lakers and the Heat. Also enjoyed seeing Tyson Chandler play a key role in a champion. Even his early years in Chicago, he was lacking development (though did at times string together some big games) but he never lacked heart or work ethic. His heart was visible from day one. Polar opposite of his draft-mate Eddy Curry. Seeing Tyson perform on the big stage was cool
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by fuller4379 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 12:14 pm

Dominater wrote:Bulls fan here! Loved seeing you guys destroy the Lakers and the Heat. Also enjoyed seeing Tyson Chandler play a key role in a champion. Even his early years in Chicago, he was lacking development (though did at times string together some big games) but he never lacked heart or work ethic. His heart was visible from day one. Polar opposite of his draft-mate Eddy Curry. Seeing Tyson perform on the big stage was cool

He perfectly fit a need for the Mavericks. He was a great defender, rim protector, and team leader. The Mavericks playoff run was about having great players with great chemistry together and a coach that knew how to fit the pieces together.

Return to Dallas Mavericks