ImageImageImage

Looking more and more like the NBA season is coming back. How will this affect the Wolves?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,129

Re: Looking more and more like the NBA season is coming back. How will this affect the Wolves? 

Post#41 » by Calinks » Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Really wonder what this means for next season. So return in July, probably finish up in Sept or so. Then what? 3 month off-season? Draft? No summer (or fall) league this year? NBA returns when? Early 2021? Shortened season? Measures will probably be taken to try and get back on a regular track for the 2022 season.

Crazy, going to be interesting to see how accelerated things are.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
ClarkeW
Sophomore
And1: 54

Re: Looking more and more like the NBA season is coming back. How will this affect the Wolves? 

Post#42 » by ClarkeW » Wed May 27, 2020 10:45 pm

Calinks wrote:Really wonder what this means for next season. So return in July, probably finish up in Sept or so. Then what? 3 month off-season? Draft? No summer (or fall) league this year? NBA returns when? Early 2021? Shortened season? Measures will probably be taken to try and get back on a regular track for the 2022 season.

While nothing has been officially announced, I’m quite sure I heard Kevin O’Connor from The Ringer say that based on the July 22 start date that the Finals would end by September 20 at the latest. Draft and free agency would follow shortly afterwards and that would basically take us through September.

As for next season, I think they’ll seriously consider a permanent shift to a December - August season. Would mean less overlap with the NFL at the beginning of the season and lead to the NBA playoffs “owning” the summer from a sports perspective. At the very least I think they’ll try that for next year, see how it does and then reevaluate for the long term.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#43 » by Calinks » Thu May 28, 2020 12:07 am

ClarkeW wrote:
Calinks wrote:Really wonder what this means for next season. So return in July, probably finish up in Sept or so. Then what? 3 month off-season? Draft? No summer (or fall) league this year? NBA returns when? Early 2021? Shortened season? Measures will probably be taken to try and get back on a regular track for the 2022 season.

While nothing has been officially announced, I’m quite sure I heard Kevin O’Connor from The Ringer say that based on the July 22 start date that the Finals would end by September 20 at the latest. Draft and free agency would follow shortly afterwards and that would basically take us through September.

As for next season, I think they’ll seriously consider a permanent shift to a December - August season. Would mean less overlap with the NFL at the beginning of the season and lead to the NBA playoffs “owning” the summer from a sports perspective. At the very least I think they’ll try that for next year, see how it does and then reevaluate for the long term.

Interesting. A December start could have fringe benefits for us, Minnesota would look a little more attractive as there would be fewer winter months. That's 3-4 months of possibly warmer weather and only 3-4 of arctic tundra. Could help us be a more comfortable destination as spring/summer here is pretty damn nice.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#44 » by Jedzz » Thu May 28, 2020 11:02 am

Calinks wrote:
ClarkeW wrote:

Interesting. A December start could have fringe benefits for us, Minnesota would look a little more attractive as there would be fewer winter months. That's 3-4 months of possibly warmer weather and only 3-4 of arctic tundra. Could help us be a more comfortable destination as spring/summer here is pretty damn nice.

It is interesting. A permanent move to a changed season schedule sounds wisest if they are going to foolishly attempt to resume this season in a slow drawn out way and force that hand upon themselves. That was my point earlier as they would be wrecking future seasons just to finish this one, extending the "pains". There should be something said for the benefits of a viewer base and support system of people and businesses that rely on the season schedule being a constant. A temporary move or prolonged test is dangerous. Seasonal businesses and the people that support that really rely on that consistency as they have worked their lives around a break in the income already. Some may have established other jobs and places for their business to carry on during offseasons that a two to three season stretch of fouled up flexing schedules may destroy. Whether the league or fans cares or not is unanswered right now. But it may hurt a lot of people that in turn would hurt the league.

Now extend that to outside schedules as you two have started to question, like the Summer and Fall leagues and their support structure. This current break in the schedule is probably threatoning enough of it.

So a couple of idiots in the league office, or a couple of random people spreading their ideas and opinions about sliding the season schedule may need to think about the bigger picture of their suggestions. Or they may never bother, but everyone else involved will have to think about how to survive such.

Here is maybe a new wrinkle. I hear and understand the positive thinking for say cold regions where weather will be improved during more of the season, maybe making those regions more acceptable to some players. But has anyone stopped to think about why the schedule is currently what it has been? What real life structured schedules brought these league schedules to where they have been? Was it simply born of grade school sports schedules that was loosely echoed into pro league schedules? Or does it also have to do with Summer months leading to more summer outside events for people, more traveling by people, less TV watching by people? Maybe the TV income that drives the NBA now would be greatly impacted by the league going into summer months. And who knows, maybe it will be a smash hit on tv during the summer given the sports drought that it typically is. For those that live and breath sports it might be. But will there be enough of the mass public viewing to support the money they currently know?

They may separate themselves from the NFL, but instead put themselves in competition with every weekend event of warmer months and daily differences where the sun makes for longer days. For cold regions like Minnesota it's a vast difference in people activity, work schedules, everything. Longer daylight hours affect every area. Personally I think I would like having the entertainment option at times, but I also know I might end up watching a lot less.
ClarkeW
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#45 » by ClarkeW » Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Calinks wrote:
ClarkeW wrote:

It is interesting. A permanent move to a changed season schedule sounds wisest if they are going to foolishly attempt to resume this season in a slow drawn out way and force that hand upon themselves. That was my point earlier as they would be wrecking future seasons just to finish this one, extending the "pains". There should be something said for the benefits of a viewer base and support system of people and businesses that rely on the season schedule being a constant. A temporary move or prolonged test is dangerous. Seasonal businesses and the people that support that really rely on that consistency as they have worked their lives around a break in the income already. Some may have established other jobs and places for their business to carry on during offseasons that a two to three season stretch of fouled up flexing schedules may destroy. Whether the league or fans cares or not is unanswered right now. But it may hurt a lot of people that in turn would hurt the league.

Now extend that to outside schedules as you two have started to question, like the Summer and Fall leagues and their support structure. This current break in the schedule is probably threatoning enough of it.

So a couple of idiots in the league office, or a couple of random people spreading their ideas and opinions about sliding the season schedule may need to think about the bigger picture of their suggestions. Or they may never bother, but everyone else involved will have to think about how to survive such.

Here is maybe a new wrinkle. I hear and understand the positive thinking for say cold regions where weather will be improved during more of the season, maybe making those regions more acceptable to some players. But has anyone stopped to think about why the schedule is currently what it has been? What real life structured schedules brought these league schedules to where they have been? Was it simply born of grade school sports schedules that was loosely echoed into pro league schedules? Or does it also have to do with Summer months leading to more summer outside events for people, more traveling by people, less TV watching by people? Maybe the TV income that drives the NBA now would be greatly impacted by the league going into summer months. And who knows, maybe it will be a smash hit on tv during the summer given the sports drought that it typically is. For those that live and breath sports it might be. But will there be enough of the mass public viewing to support the money they currently know?

They may separate themselves from the NFL, but instead put themselves in competition with every weekend event of warmer months and daily differences where the sun makes for longer days. For cold regions like Minnesota it's a vast difference in people activity, work schedules, everything. Longer daylight hours affect every area. Personally I think I would like having the entertainment option at times, but I also know I might end up watching a lot less.

Some good points here. But I will say that while a permanent shift in the schedule could definitely have an impact on local businesses, that will likely be given zero consideration by a large entity such as the NBA. Those businesses will be forced to adapt or they will die off and be replaced.

Where I think you hit the nail on the head though is in regards to TV ratings in the summer. I believe that is probably the main concern about a shift in the schedule to December - August, but without actually doing the move it’s all speculation as to whether that would turn into a ratings win or a ratings loss. Adam Silver is a smart man who isn’t afraid to buck tradition and likely sees the other benefits of a shift in the schedule. I think he will see this as the perfect opportunity to test it out for a season. Pending the ratings, I think the shift could become permanent.

Another consideration for this season only would be that the longer the start of the regular season is put off, the more likely that fans will be in the arenas to watch games for a longer chunk of the season. That could lead to next season starting a little later (maybe January) in an effort to try and increase gate revenue for the teams.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#46 » by andyhop » Fri May 29, 2020 8:33 am

Domejandro wrote:For what it is worth, my limited sports medicine experience would make me somewhat agree with having a training camp of some sorts. Going from limited non-contact workouts to games would potentially increase injury risk.

You definitely need a training camp as there is a massive difference between running and lifting weights and playing competitive basketball.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#47 » by Jedzz » Fri May 29, 2020 11:37 pm

andyhop wrote:
Domejandro wrote:For what it is worth, my limited sports medicine experience would make me somewhat agree with having a training camp of some sorts. Going from limited non-contact workouts to games would potentially increase injury risk.

You definitely need a training camp as there is a massive difference between running and lifting weights and playing competitive basketball.

It's always been said it's up to NBA players to have their own personal trainers and prepare themselves, supposedly teams aren't responsible. You think normal "training camps" in the NBA are a bunch of drills? It's just installing the schemes, getting players used to playing together, teaching new concepts, and otherwise practicing shooting in amounts only pros do. Running and lifting weights is indeed good enough in this instance since none of the concepts or personel have changed. Hopefully they were keeping the shooting practice up during this time. It's just assinine to me to even have this discussion any longer, so I've said my piece enough and I'll get out of your hair so you guys can keep reassuring each other that this is necessary. All they need to do is have a week of running around the court together to get back in the flow. Nothing else.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#48 » by Jedzz » Fri May 29, 2020 11:42 pm

ClarkeW wrote:
Some good points here. But I will say that while a permanent shift in the schedule could definitely have an impact on local businesses, that will likely be given zero consideration by a large entity such as the NBA. Those businesses will be forced to adapt or they will die off and be replaced.

Where I think you hit the nail on the head though is in regards to TV ratings in the summer. I believe that is probably the main concern about a shift in the schedule to December - August, but without actually doing the move it’s all speculation as to whether that would turn into a ratings win or a ratings loss. Adam Silver is a smart man who isn’t afraid to buck tradition and likely sees the other benefits of a shift in the schedule. I think he will see this as the perfect opportunity to test it out for a season. Pending the ratings, I think the shift could become permanent.

Another consideration for this season only would be that the longer the start of the regular season is put off, the more likely that fans will be in the arenas to watch games for a longer chunk of the season. That could lead to next season starting a little later (maybe January) in an effort to try and increase gate revenue for the teams.
You might be right on all those points, including the companies that might die off and be replaced and the NBA not bothering with that.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,518

Post#50 » by WolfAddict » Tue Jun 2, 2020 12:35 am

Have to say, with the NRL (Rugby League) competition here in Aus starting up again this weekend (no crowds and a lot of prerequisites before it could go ahead) it is soooooo good to have some kind of sport to watch again. My point being, that no matter the format they choose to go with, just having basketball to watch again would be nothing but beneficial. From fans to sponsors.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#51 » by Jedzz » Tue Jun 2, 2020 1:00 am

WolfAddict wrote:Have to say, with the NRL (Rugby League) competition here in Aus starting up again this weekend (no crowds and a lot of prerequisites before it could go ahead) it is soooooo good to have some kind of sport to watch again. My point being, that no matter the format they choose to go with, just having basketball to watch again would be nothing but beneficial. From fans to sponsors.

Yes!
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#52 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jun 2, 2020 3:36 pm

If the NBA goes with the 22 team play in that could be disastrous for the Wolves if Brooklyn doesn't make it out of the first round. It was about a 99% certainty that if the season played out the Nets would have made the playoffs and the Wolves were going to get pick 16 or so from them. Next year with Durant and maybe Irving the Nets could win it all or come very close.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#53 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 2, 2020 4:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:If the NBA goes with the 22 team play in that could be disastrous for the Wolves if Brooklyn doesn't make it out of the first round. It was about a 99% certainty that if the season played out the Nets would have made the playoffs and the Wolves were going to get pick 16 or so from them. Next year with Durant and maybe Irving the Nets could win it all or come very close.

Starting to wonder if having a pick 20-30 in next years draft is better than 17 in this draft.
WolfAddict
Rookie

Post#54 » by WolfAddict » Tue Jun 2, 2020 9:59 pm

Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:If the NBA goes with the 22 team play in that could be disastrous for the Wolves if Brooklyn doesn't make it out of the first round. It was about a 99% certainty that if the season played out the Nets would have made the playoffs and the Wolves were going to get pick 16 or so from them. Next year with Durant and maybe Irving the Nets could win it all or come very close.

Starting to wonder if having a pick 20-30 in next years draft is better than 17 in this draft.

Agreed.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Post#55 » by Neeva » Wed Jun 3, 2020 1:20 am

WolfAddict wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Agreed.

It would be nice for the wolves to have one pick in 2021 draft, most likely it will be used in trade for Booker though lol wolves might not have a frp for a while after this 2020 draft.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#56 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jun 3, 2020 4:21 pm

WolfAddict wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Agreed.

I'd rather have the pick now than later. That's just me though. Seems like we could get 2 useful players instead of one. Are we completely pickless for next year if we do get the Nets pick this year?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#57 » by Jedzz » Wed Jun 3, 2020 6:27 pm

I don't care for this 22 team number they are talking about. Just heard on radio them defending this 22 team thing, also justifying it saying this way teams can satisfy their TV contracts and get full money there. Well, what about the 8 teams that aren't allowed to continue playing it out? Just brainless radio hosts these days. Then of course, another guy suggests there might be some gripes by teams regarding seeding because for example (they used) teams can say they didn't get to play the "MN Timberwolves" 4 times like such and such other team might have and suggesting that obviously would have helped their record to play the Wolves more.

Not a fan of stupid arbitrary decisions made for nothing more than money to some markets that then shafts others. No team out of the top 8 of E and W should be playing at all if everyone isn't. They don't deserve it any more than any one outside 4 games back. I don't even want the Wolves to hurt their record by playing, but boy are they getting snubbed here otherwise. If 22 teams are playing, play them all. If it's a special tourney, just have single elim for worst records, double for others, triple for the last seed that already in.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#58 » by Calinks » Wed Jun 3, 2020 8:06 pm

I want the NBA back just bummed out we wont be part of it but we played like crap so that's what we get unfortunately.

Might not see Wolves ball for nearly a year after break, that is rough. Trying to look at the positive though. Hopefully we can be really prepard for the off-season whenever that starts. We also will hopefully lock in a really good draft posiiton.

There is talk of some kind of summer league thing for the other 8 teams, don't know what will happen with that. I def do think we need some knd of system to keep guys in shape though. 9 months off is a LOOOOONNNG time. Could totally mess up a players body/sharpness if they aren't doing tihngs to stay game ready.

I really hope the team comes out much better with all the time off and preparation. This is going to be like 2-3 off-season's in one, I want to see some big leaps.
WolfAddict
Rookie

Post#59 » by WolfAddict » Wed Jun 3, 2020 10:03 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Agreed.

I'd rather have the pick now than later. That's just me though. Seems like we could get 2 useful players instead of one. Are we completely pickless for next year if we do get the Nets pick this year?

No I get where you're coming from - I just have a couple of prospects I'd love for us to have a crack at in the later draft
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 363

Post#60 » by gandlogo » Wed Jun 3, 2020 10:15 pm

Woj just said on ESPN that the eight teams left out are trying to pull together some sort of exhibition league for the fall. Said those teams need the opportunity to work/develop that they would miss out on not playing like the rest of the league. Nothing finalized, but something being discussed. I doubt it gets us televised games, but you never know. But it would be important from a developmental standpoint.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves