ImageImageImage

Suns History

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

GMATCallahan
Suns Forum History Expert
And1: 749

Re: Suns History - Best and Worst Game or Series Memories, Favorite and Worst Draft or FA Memories 

Post#141 » by GMATCallahan » Mon Jun 1, 2020 5:55 am

DirtyDez wrote:
GMATCallahan wrote:SportsCenter twenty-five years ago this evening, Craig Kilborn on the call (note that he confuses Wesley Person for Elliot Perry during the highlight):

People talk about Marion as a playoff choker yet Majerle gagged b2b years vs Houston and he was a ROH shoe in. /rant

I was recently reflecting (again) about Marion not being in the Ring of Honor. For someone who spent seven-and-a-half seasons with the Suns (after being drafted by Phoenix), made four All-Star teams, made two All-NBA Third Teams, and played in two Western Conference Finals, his continued omission proves curious to say the least.

In Game Seven of the 1995 Western Conference Semifinals, Majerle had not played in the fourth quarter (he was 1-6 from the field and 0-3 on threes to that point) before head coach Paul Westphal inserted him with 45.3 seconds remaining and the Suns trailing 110-109. Following a timeout, Westphal inserted Majerle to accompany Kevin Johnson, Charles Barkley, Danny Ainge, and Wesley Person, as Johnson and Barkley ran a pick-and-roll from the right wing and the Suns spread the court with their three three-point shooters. Kenny Smith, guarding Johnson, went under Barkley's pick, but Johnson penetrated the middle anyway and then leapt in the air. When he went up, so did Hakeem Olajuwon, creating just enough of a passing lane for K.J. to slip the ball to Barkley in the middle of the paint. Sir Charles, playing with torn cartilage in his left knee (an injury suffered in the third quarter in Game Six in Houston), brought the ball to the floor for one dribble as Robert Horry and Clyde Drexler both collapsed from the perimeter, leaving both Majerle and Ainge unguarded. Barkley kicked the ball to Majerle for a good look, but Thunder Dan's trey was long. Barkley tipped the high carom to K.J., who drew the in-the-penalty blocking foul on the cross-matched Horry and tied the score at 110 before finally missing his first free throw in twenty-two attempts. But if Majerle had hit that shot, the Suns may not have traded him to Cleveland the following fall.

The situation proved slightly paradoxical. On the one hand, hitting such an attempt is not easy when you have not played in over eleven minutes of game time (much more in real time). On the other hand, Westphal had gone with the rookie, Person, instead of Majerle to that point in the fourth quarter precisely because Thunder Dan had proved so ineffective in that game (and, more generally, that series). Of Majerle's six Game Seven field goal attempts prior to his ultimate one, he had bricked three three-pointers (coming nowhere near on any of them), made a slashing left-handed layup off a ball-swing assist from Johnson, and had two driving attempts swatted out of bounds from behind (by Robert Horry and Pete Chilcutt, respectively).

It is not as if Person had been hot, either; entering the fourth quarter, he was 1-4 from the field for three points, his one made field goal being a third-quarter trey off a kick-out pass from K.J. (Person would then go 0-2 from the field in the fourth.) But Westphal still felt more confident in him than the veteran Majerle.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Re: Suns History - Best and Worst Game or Series Memories, Favorite and Worst Draft or FA Memories 

Post#142 » by Barkley6 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 8:01 pm

GMATCallahan wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
GMATCallahan wrote:SportsCenter twenty-five years ago this evening, Craig Kilborn on the call (note that he confuses Wesley Person for Elliot Perry during the highlight):

People talk about Marion as a playoff choker yet Majerle gagged b2b years vs Houston and he was a ROH shoe in. /rant

I was recently reflecting (again) about Marion not being in the Ring of Honor. For someone who spent seven-and-a-half seasons with the Suns (after being drafted by Phoenix), made four All-Star teams, made two All-NBA Third Teams, and played in two Western Conference Finals, his continued omission proves curious to say the least.

In Game Seven of the 1995 Western Conference Semifinals, Majerle had not played in the fourth quarter (he was 1-6 from the field and 0-3 on threes to that point) before head coach Paul Westphal inserted him with 45.3 seconds remaining and the Suns trailing 110-109. Following a timeout, Westphal inserted Majerle to accompany Kevin Johnson, Charles Barkley, Danny Ainge, and Wesley Person, as Johnson and Barkley ran a pick-and-roll from the right wing and the Suns spread the court with their three three-point shooters. Kenny Smith, guarding Johnson, went under Barkley's pick, but Johnson penetrated the middle anyway and then leapt in the air. When he went up, so did Hakeem Olajuwon, creating just enough of a passing lane for K.J. to slip the ball to Barkley in the middle of the paint. Sir Charles, playing with torn cartilage in his left knee (an injury suffered in the third quarter in Game Six in Houston), brought the ball to the floor for one dribble as Robert Horry and Clyde Drexler both collapsed from the perimeter, leaving both Majerle and Ainge unguarded. Barkley kicked the ball to Majerle for a good look, but Thunder Dan's trey was long. Barkley tipped the high carom to K.J., who drew the in-the-penalty blocking foul on the cross-matched Horry and tied the score at 110 before finally missing his first free throw in twenty-two attempts. But if Majerle had hit that shot, the Suns may not have traded him to Cleveland the following fall.

The situation proved slightly paradoxical. On the one hand, hitting such an attempt is not easy when you have not played in over eleven minutes of game time (much more in real time). On the other hand, Westphal had gone with the rookie, Person, instead of Majerle to that point in the fourth quarter precisely because Thunder Dan had proved so ineffective in that game (and, more generally, that series). Of Majerle's six Game Seven field goal attempts prior to his ultimate one, he had bricked three three-pointers (coming nowhere near on any of them), made a slashing left-handed layup off a ball-swing assist from Johnson, and had two driving attempts swatted out of bounds from behind (by Robert Horry and Pete Chilcutt, respectively).

It is not as if Person had been hot, either; entering the fourth quarter, he was 1-4 from the field for three points, his one made field goal being a third-quarter trey off a kick-out pass from K.J. (Person would then go 0-2 from the field in the fourth.) But Westphal still felt more confident in him than the veteran Majerle.

Marion's all time ranks for the Suns:
4th all time in scoring
1st all time in rebounding
3rd all time in blocks
2nd all time in steals
6th all time in games played
2nd all time in minutes played
5th all time in 3 pointers made

How he's not in the Ring of Honor isn't just a head scratcher, it's a crime.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#143 » by DirtyDez » Wed Jun 3, 2020 7:01 am

GMATCallahan wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Nice recall although had Danny Manning been healthy it wouldn’t have mattered cause they were unstoppable offensively at full strength. 59 wins with KJ, Barkley and Manning missing a combined 75 games! Granted the league was horribly watered down but they’d be pushing 70 with some injury luck.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,448

Re: Suns History - Best and Worst Game or Series Memories, Favorite and Worst Draft or FA Memories,Favorite All Time Pla 

Post#144 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 10:24 pm

Marion should absolutely be in the Ring of Honor. Just look at some of his other all time Suns rankings..

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/leaders_career.html

As for game 7 and that Rockets series, that had to be the most brutal series for me ever. Between blowing game 5 at home in OT when we had a 3-1 series lead and then having a tie game near the end of game 7, only for Elie to hit that 3 was extremely brutal.

That was worse for me than the Spurs series and ejections (and I was at that game in SA where Horry hip checked Nash) because that 95 team to me was clearly better than Houston (though I do think the 07 team was better than SA as well). But we had home court advantage, a 3-1 lead with two games at home, nearly won game 5 but blew it in OT, and it wasn't decided until the final minute of game 7 at home.

I do wonder how the team would have done with Cotton as coach instead of Westphal. Cotton was probably the best coach we've had. I know he didn't want to deal with Barkley (or I think that's why he stepped down IIRC..or that was hte impression) but he had so much experience and knew the team and Westphal seemed to just make some questionable decisions. I can't remember who else was there and could have played rather than Majerle. I can see wanting to spread the floor but putting in a guy in game 7 with under a minute who hadn't played in the whole quarter and had been cold prior is questionable to say the least.

I remember when everyone started calling him Blunder Dan.
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,911

Re: Suns History - Best and Worst Game or Series Memories, Favorite and Worst Draft or FA Memories,Favorite All Time Pla 

Post#145 » by LV-Suns » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:51 pm

https://podbay.fm/podcast/934820588/e/1591798260

Pretty good podcast Amin describing what happened after D’Antoni.
I Dont wanna be here
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#146 » by Mr Puddles » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:41 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here's the story about why McDyess left the suns to go back to Denver after one season.

Offseason memory and a pretty funny video:

Spoiler:
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#147 » by Mr Puddles » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm

Don't think I've seen this yet (quality is not great):

The Suns sweeping the Spurs with Goran Dragic going crazy in the fourth has got to be one of my favorite Suns memories.

Dragic's craftiness in the post has always been a thing of beauty.
Spoiler:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#149 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:19 pm

Favorite is probably that Spurs series where they finally beat them, just felt like a monkey off their back. Not as important but I remember really liking that series where they beat the Lakers and Kobe basically pouted and stopped shooting, I hated the Lakers and Kobe.

Worst personally was the Lakers beating them on the Artest put back. It was the day of my grandfathers funeral so just a **** ass day.

Most bizarre Suns related memory: back in 2006 my younger and far more foolish self got a DUI (don't drink and drive it's bad) and had to do 10 days in tent city jail. I was in during the Clippers Suns playoff series and game 3 was a close one, first the guards were broadcasting the radio sound over the loud speakers but they stopped in the 4th Q so one of the inmates got on a payphone with his girlfriend and relayed the game play by play for the last 4 minutes of that game with a crowd of about 50 of us. It was absolutely surreal and half the time his girlfriend didn't know the players names who had scored so we could just get a 'tall skinny dude made a shot' and stuff like that. I'll definitely never forget that game.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#150 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:21 pm

Sums/Knicks brawl.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1996035

Spoiler:
GMATCallahan wrote:Remarkably, K.J. never missed a game due to the hernia in '93-'94 for the Suns or for Dream Team II in the summer of 1994.

KJ didn't really back down from anything.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#151 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Suns History 

Post#152 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,812

Post#153 » by Saberestar » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#154 » by Bogyo » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:55 pm

Damn. :( He was one of the good guys.
Rest in peace Coach.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#155 » by BobbieL » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:10 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

RIP Coach Paul Westphal. Ring of Honor as Player and Coach

"....We are going to LA and will win Game 3. Than win Game 4. Finally will come back to Phoenix, win Game 5 and everybody will say it was a helluva series..."

I think I have the quote right
Christine-In-AZ
Starter
And1: 1,539

Post#156 » by Christine-In-AZ » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:31 pm

BobbieL wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

"....We are going to LA and will win Game 3. Than win Game 4. Finally will come back to Phoenix, win Game 5 and everybody will say it was a helluva series..."

Here you have it. At the 2 minute mark
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#157 » by BobbieL » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:39 pm

ChrisInAZ wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Here you have it. At the 2 minute mark

Thanks for posting - sad day for Suns Nation and the NBA

His wife posted on Facebook many photos of players and others stopping by to see him: Majerle, Chambers, Leander, Barkley, Alvan Adams - and recently Monty Williams. Nice story about Monty- Westphals wife had to cancel an visit with Monty and Westy as she was sick so Monty stopped by the store and bought her a bunch of cold remedy stuff.
Christine-In-AZ
Starter
And1: 1,539

Post#158 » by Christine-In-AZ » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:59 pm

Westy is in my Suns Ring of Honor... and mine is rather small.

His heroics in the (not so talked about or watched ) 3rd OT of the 76 Boston series, were amazing. Almost got the Suns a victory.

Super cool and very intellectual guy beyond his basketball where-with-all, from what I could glean

Too soon. 70 is the new 60
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,169

Post#159 » by Frank Lee » Sun Jan 3, 2021 12:05 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Stumbled across this gem as Westy is being remembered

Also CinAZ, I still have to choke em back watching this .... Mussberger with the call ... on CBS :wink:

such an emotional beat down for a young fan, the all time worst for me. Really set the tone for the next 4+ decades of Sunsmenship.

Westphal was such a likable player ...
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#160 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:09 pm

Damn, Elliot Perry was a pretty good backup PG.

Read on Twitter

He also had 6 steals.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199601120PHO.html

Return to Phoenix Suns