ImageImageImageImage

Orlando/Disney Frontrunner to Host NBA

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Re: Orlando/Disney Frontrunner to Host NBA 

Post#81 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 3, 2020 8:33 pm

EAS Law wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Only the wizards? Whew so.. we don't have to worry about 2 teams that *might* kick us out of the POs then. All we have to do is maintain 4 games ahead of the Wizards to be sure of the POs spot. How many games do we need to win over the Nets for the 7th?

Wizards schedule is **** brutal:
Celtics
Thunder
76ers
Nets
Bucks
Celtics
Bucks
Lakers

All we have to do is stay at 4+ lead and if we don’t when they are playing that schedule it’s an us problem.

We are a half game back of nets so all we need to do is win one more game than nets to get 7th seed

Yikes—assuming guys don’t just sit out, that might be only 1 win. Maybe none.

As I said.. anyone think some of those teams like celts / thunder /sixers are gonna *drop* a game or two for favorable positioning?
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#82 » by EAS Law » Wed Jun 3, 2020 8:36 pm

RookieStar wrote:
EAS Law wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:Wizards schedule is **** brutal:
Celtics
Thunder
76ers
Nets
Bucks
Celtics
Bucks
Lakers

All we have to do is stay at 4+ lead and if we don’t when they are playing that schedule it’s an us problem.

We are a half game back of nets so all we need to do is win one more game than nets to get 7th seed

Yikes—assuming guys don’t just sit out, that might be only 1 win. Maybe none.

As I said.. anyone think some of those teams like celts / thunder /sixers are gonna *drop* a game or two for favorable positioning?

If these were normal times, maybe they’d rest guys. Considering the condensed schedule and very little time to get prepare, I’d say they want as much court time as possible. There isn’t really any justification for “rest” when players haven’t played in months.

In light of how irregular everything has been, the NBA might even forbid it.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#83 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 3, 2020 8:46 pm

True.. but to clarify, I'm not talking about *rest* or *load management* I;m talking about the game-plan to actually lose a game or 2 by playing bench guys more or intentionally missing shots (lols) so they will face the Sixers instead of the Celts or facing the Thunder instead of the Rockets or something.

But yeah if everyone plasy to their best, do we have a better than average chance of being the 7th?
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#84 » by rcklsscognition » Wed Jun 3, 2020 9:02 pm

So there's just a mini play-in tourney of sorts and then the playoffs begin as normal. Given the circumstances, it's not all that bad, we're in a pretty solid spot to stay alive, but I'm already nervous thinking about us dropping game 1 of the win and you're in series and facing a must-win to finish the season against Bradley Beal or whoever. I'm not sure I get the 4 game thing, why that has to be in there doesn't quite make sense. The other team gets 8 games to make up whatever deficit they have in records, seems fair without the 5 or more wins rule. We're essentially only holding a .5 game lead over the Wizards with this new format.
Stuff
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#85 » by Stuff » Wed Jun 3, 2020 9:06 pm

I think this will be a testament to the team to really see how good/bad they are.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,199

Post#86 » by J-Mezzy » Wed Jun 3, 2020 9:36 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:So there's just a mini play-in tourney of sorts and then the playoffs begin as normal. Given the circumstances, it's not all that bad, we're in a pretty solid spot to stay alive, but I'm already nervous thinking about us dropping game 1 of the win and you're in series and facing a must-win to finish the season against Bradley Beal or whoever. I'm not sure I get the 4 game thing, why that has to be in there doesn't quite make sense. The other team gets 8 games to make up whatever deficit they have in records, seems fair without the 5 or more wins rule. We're essentially only holding a .5 game lead over the Wizards with this new format.

They did the 4 game part to give Zion a realistic chancem
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,068

Post#87 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 9:49 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:So there's just a mini play-in tourney of sorts and then the playoffs begin as normal. Given the circumstances, it's not all that bad, we're in a pretty solid spot to stay alive, but I'm already nervous thinking about us dropping game 1 of the win and you're in series and facing a must-win to finish the season against Bradley Beal or whoever. I'm not sure I get the 4 game thing, why that has to be in there doesn't quite make sense. The other team gets 8 games to make up whatever deficit they have in records, seems fair without the 5 or more wins rule. We're essentially only holding a .5 game lead over the Wizards with this new format.

They did the 4 game part to give Zion a realistic chancem

I think your right but NBA is going to justify it because most of the history tells us 3-4 games is when it becomes too big of a lead to make up with the game available. I think they will cite that. Also honestly I think they really want to do a play in tournament for the west but not the east but didnt want to have different rules for each conference.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#88 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 9:51 pm

Between Nets, Wizards, and us we have the easiest schedule IMO. Plus two shots at the Nets. We win both those games we are in strong position for 7.
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#89 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 3, 2020 10:38 pm

So as it stands now.. Raps are the 2nd in the East.. Can the celts catch them up? I mean our chances to win is better against the celts yes? But then again, we are sure to win game 1 against the Raps so I dunno...
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 1:21 am

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

If this is accurate, it means the Magic will play...

Game 1: vs Kings
Game 2: vs Nets
Game 3: vs Pacers
Game 4: vs Nets
Game 5: vs Pelicans
Game 6: vs Celtics
Game 7: vs 76ers
Game 8: vs Celtics

I don’t think this is accurate anymore. At least on the backend. Maybe they will make tweaks to make it work. For example the magic have to skip a lot of games because most of our schedule upcoming was the teams not invited (which really sucks lol) but once we get to the bottom 3 the Celtics and 76ers would have completed there 8 games so it’s not possible for us to play them under this format.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#91 » by npiper17 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:26 am

Yeah I'm not sure how that proposed schedule works. Surely it will lead to some teams playing more then 8 games as currently constructed.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#92 » by Knightro » Thu Jun 4, 2020 11:38 am

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don’t think this is accurate anymore. At least on the backend. Maybe they will make tweaks to make it work. For example the magic have to skip a lot of games because most of our schedule upcoming was the teams not invited (which really sucks lol) but once we get to the bottom 3 the Celtics and 76ers would have completed there 8 games so it’s not possible for us to play them under this format.

You are correct. It appears the Magic are going to be a game short of the full 8 based on who the other teams at the back end of their schedule are set to play.

Might end up playing someone like Portland to make up for it.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 1:22 pm

Knightro wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

You are correct. It appears the Magic are going to be a game short of the full 8 based on who the other teams at the back end of their schedule are set to play.

Might end up playing someone like Portland to make up for it.

I agree that seems to be the easiest fix to adjust the last game or two to match teams who are short the 8 games.
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Post#94 » by BDill012 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 3:11 pm

I am glad to see that we will get a chance to finish this out.

The schedule is going to be very interesting. I can't wait to see what that looks like and to compare it to the Nets and the Wizards. I am hopeful that there is a good chance to get to the 7th seed.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#95 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 3:30 pm

Read on Twitter

It’s going to be cool going to restaurants and seeing the players. Though I imagine most meals will be catered at the hotels
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#96 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:11 pm

Would be cool to see them but they won't be able to take pics or sign anything so not worth it
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#97 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:55 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It’s going to be cool going to restaurants and seeing the players. Though I imagine most meals will be catered at the hotels
Cool everyone will be able to enjoy the intense heat and humidity. They'll be here at the hottest time of the year. Anyone that's been here knows you can easily shed 8 pounds one afternoon in Florida. I remember when we played the Lakers in the Finals, Jackson forbid them from going outside.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#98 » by RookieStar » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:28 pm

COOL!!! LEt's goooooo! Hope all our guys stayed in shape. Anyone have some pics on what our players look like now? Also did any of our International players like Vuc and Fourney go back home to their country?
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:45 pm

RookieStar wrote:COOL!!! LEt's goooooo! Hope all our guys stayed in shape. Anyone have some pics on what our players look like now? Also did any of our International players like Vuc and Fourney go back home to their country?

Magic released a statement that said everyone stayed in Orlando
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#100 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:51 pm

I wonder why Portland voted no to the proposal. They benefit from this. What did they want?

Return to Orlando Magic