PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#481 » by SideshowBob » Fri May 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:It is pricier than I was expecting, but to be honest I'm amazed they've let us us it for free for so long. When your website is free, the more traffic you get, the more in debt you get. It makes sense to do that for a while but not forever.

I feel like on a moral grounds, I should probably pay no matter what, but I'll ask:

What other sources and tools are there, either free or for pay?

https://www.statmuse.com/

Good for "advanced" bar banter queries I guess.

Ex: "What NBA Team had the Highest ORTG in the Playoffs in a Season?".

You can get pretty specific and after you get used to how it parses your questions it starts flowing a bit.

But nowhere near as granular as BBR's play index.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#482 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat May 30, 2020 12:19 am

Doctor MJ wrote:It is pricier than I was expecting, but to be honest I'm amazed they've let us us it for free for so long. When your website is free, the more traffic you get, the more in debt you get. It makes sense to do that for a while but not forever.

I feel like on a moral grounds, I should probably pay no matter what, but I'll ask:

Man I feel the same way. Not sure I can justify the payment, at least for now. I do feel an odd sense of obligation, though. It really is an amazing resource. Interestingly, baseball reference's play index has been pay only for years. I'm guessing there's just a decent amount more stats available there.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#483 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat May 30, 2020 12:24 am

Bad Gatorade wrote:So, it looks like Basketball-Reference's play index is soon to become a subscription service...

Any chance NBA.com improves their search mechanism? :cry:

It's such a mess. I'm convinced they just don't care. Similar to league pass.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,233

Post#484 » by ardee » Sat May 30, 2020 8:37 pm

That would probably kill our games on the T&T Board...

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Post#485 » by Bad Gatorade » Sun May 31, 2020 10:04 am

SideshowBob wrote:

https://www.statmuse.com/

Good for "advanced" bar banter queries I guess.

Ex: "What NBA Team had the Highest ORTG in the Playoffs in a Season?".

You can get pretty specific and after you get used to how it parses your questions it starts flowing a bit.

But nowhere near as granular as BBR's play index.

Never seen statmuse before, so I might give it a look.

I agree with the general sentiment - I kind of feel indebted to them, because I'm sure I use other stuff less frequently and pay just as much for it, but in isolation, it feels hard to pay more than a couple of dollars for something like this when the resource is there, and the Play Index itself is more of a fast collation tool than a unique source of information (e.g. I can look up lineup data for teams freely, and Play Index allows me to do that quickly rather than storing them in my own file). Of course, there's a degree as to which using the Play Index earlier has fed into my general basketball knowledge too, to be fair. Fantastic resource, but also one whose information can be accumulated through other means if we're laborious enough.

And it's not just by going onto other websites (e.g. PBPstats is great for things like ORTG with a certain lineup), but that the individual box score and lineup stats remain present on Basketball-Reference.com.

ardee wrote:That would probably kill our games on the T&T Board...

I didn't even think of that. I mean, I'm not a participant, but dang...
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Post#486 » by eminence » Sun May 31, 2020 2:37 pm

Bad Gatorade wrote:.

Congrats man!
I bought a boat.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#487 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Jun 1, 2020 9:10 pm

Oh wow... this is what we've all been waiting for. Bball ref had hinted at adding some new features a few days ago. "Adjusted Shooting" has been added:

To help bring a bit of objectivity to cross-era comparisons, we have added an Adjusted Shooting table to all player, team and season pages. These tables will show a player's shooting percentages and tendencies, as well as league-wide percentages and tendencies and then scale them. Like OPS+ on our baseball site it will be scaled so that 100 represents a league-average shooter. 125 is 25% better than average and 75 is 25% worse than average. These figures are obtained by taking the player's shooting percentage, dividing it by the league-wide shooting percentages and then multiplying it by 100. So 125 doesn't mean a player was 25 percentage points above average, but 25 percent above average. We are also publishing adjusted versions of 3-point Attempt Rate and Free Throw Rate to give a better idea of how often the player shot 3s or got to the line relative to their era.

Additionally, we have calculated Field Goal Points Added and True Shooting Points Added to show how many points each player scored above or below what a league average player would have scored given an equal number of field goal attempts or true shot attempts, respectively. This is to show which players combined volume and efficiency (or those that combined volume with inefficiency, for that matter).

https://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2020/06/adjusted-shooting-stats-added-to-basketball-reference/

Christening this new feature by looking at curry first :)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html#adj-shooting::none
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Post#488 » by Bad Gatorade » Tue Jun 2, 2020 12:33 am

eminence wrote:
Bad Gatorade wrote:.

Congrats man!

:D :D
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#489 » by Odinn21 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 10:20 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:Oh wow... this is what we've all been waiting for. Bball ref had hinted at adding some new features a few days ago. "Adjusted Shooting" has been added:

To help bring a bit of objectivity to cross-era comparisons, we have added an Adjusted Shooting table to all player, team and season pages. These tables will show a player's shooting percentages and tendencies, as well as league-wide percentages and tendencies and then scale them. Like OPS+ on our baseball site it will be scaled so that 100 represents a league-average shooter. 125 is 25% better than average and 75 is 25% worse than average. These figures are obtained by taking the player's shooting percentage, dividing it by the league-wide shooting percentages and then multiplying it by 100. So 125 doesn't mean a player was 25 percentage points above average, but 25 percent above average. We are also publishing adjusted versions of 3-point Attempt Rate and Free Throw Rate to give a better idea of how often the player shot 3s or got to the line relative to their era.

Additionally, we have calculated Field Goal Points Added and True Shooting Points Added to show how many points each player scored above or below what a league average player would have scored given an equal number of field goal attempts or true shot attempts, respectively. This is to show which players combined volume and efficiency (or those that combined volume with inefficiency, for that matter).

https://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2020/06/adjusted-shooting-stats-added-to-basketball-reference/

Christening this new feature by looking at curry first :)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html#adj-shooting::none

What I'm waiting for next is an efficiency adjustment to per 100 numbers. At least to points per 100.

What I mean is; 34 points per 100 on .560 ts in 2000-01 and 34 points per 100 on .560 ts in 2016-17 are different things. They should establish a baseline and calculate per 100 accordingly.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#490 » by LA Bird » Tue Jun 2, 2020 2:33 pm

RIP

Read on Twitter
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#491 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jun 2, 2020 3:44 pm

RIP Wes
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#492 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Jun 3, 2020 6:11 am

USC is gonna host in person classes, at least we have the option to and idt anyones not gonna, kinda shocked lol

Itll prolly go online once the second wave hits but pretty suprised
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#493 » by E-Balla » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:53 pm

TS Add is my new favorite stat to judge scoring by. Good work from bball ref. Finally definitive proof Kareem is the GOAT single season scorer. :lol:
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#494 » by bondom34 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:10 am

Read on Twitter

So....I'm almost 34 and never really learned about this in school. Apparently Westbrook is co-producing the documentary. Not sure when it's out but looking forward to it.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#495 » by E-Balla » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:37 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So....I'm almost 34 and never really learned about this in school. Apparently Westbrook is co-producing the documentary. Not sure when it's out but looking forward to it.

They still don't teach it in schools. I'm happy someone is making a documentary but I've always hated how we get so many slavery and Civil Rights Era movies but never one about Tulsa, or Rosewood, or Wilmington, or Camilla (fun fact, Georgia was by law not allowed to be in the Union until 1962 thanks to the Camilla Massacre and is the only state to be kicked out of the union).
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#496 » by Slava » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:36 pm

Anyone listen to the hoop collective podcast today? Jackie McMullan is off her damn rocker talking about the virus risk for older folk while she is utterly clueless about it.

Among the many gems she claimed that Mike D'Antoni has 7 - 9% body fat.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,428

Post#497 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Hey y'all,

I made a thread asking this on the Stats board but thought I'd ask here too:

Where is the old ('70s onward) 76ers +/- data? I'm looking for it, and finding it really strange that I can't find it.

Thanks,
~mj
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,428

Post#498 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Hey y'all,

I made a thread asking this on the Stats board but thought I'd ask here too:

Where is the old ('70s onward) 76ers +/- data? I'm looking for it, and finding it really strange that I can't find it.

Thanks,
~mj

Nvm, it's here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZxRM9p2dFil5w6s21VEB4HnQZJymEY8_2vej-jREuUo/edit?usp=sharing
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#499 » by E-Balla » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:03 am

They burning down Wendy's now I love it.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#500 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:24 pm

Read on Twitter

I had to triple fact check this... What the actual ****

Return to Player Comparisons