ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Season Suspended Indefinitely

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Re: NBA Season Suspended Indefinitely 

Post#181 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:40 am

dlts20 wrote:That's almost the point. Wall is not coming in like Oladipo. I could understand them saying no if he were returning with 8 games left and everyone is in playoff form but everyone will have been off for months and will be going cold turkey just like John

Sure, the situations are different but not like you're describing. What the other players are or aren't has nothing to do with John. Pushing him and having him back too early and risking him missing next season strikes me as something that at least warrants considering caution. I don't know if he should play or not but if they don't, I'd suggest it's more than just insurance money that could be a factor. Other players being in shape or not is on them but it doesn't change how long it takes to fully recover from this kind of thing. Oladipo tried to play his way into shape and ultimately got hurt. Durant at least was pushing for a title.

But we can look at other examples if you want. Gordon Hayward missed a season and then came back for training camp the following season, when all the other players were just as "rusty." Hayward didn't get seriously hurt again, thankfully, but he was able to take things more cautiously in a regular season where the Celtics were already very good and he definitely didn't recover his form until closer to the end of the season. It had nothing to do with other players coming into camp after a layoff or anything - he just took time to recover. Derrick Rose would routinely come back after a season missed and then get hurt. These aren't factors in the way you are presenting them. It's entirely likely that this is a long recovery process and bringing John back would (a) risk his health in future seasons when the Wizards have him under contract for a fair while yet, and (b) hurt the Wizards chances at actually winning something because his play very likely won't be to his same standards, or even the standards of a regular NBA rotation player but he'll be dominating the ball anyway.
Bucket! Bucket!
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#182 » by DCZards » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:46 am

dlts20 wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:The injury/basketball reasons they’ve been giving are absurd.

Having watched Oladipo trying to jump right back into the game midseason, I don't think extreme caution with Wall is out of line.

I think the league is clearly allowing teams to dictate if they want in or not with an eye to getting specific teams/players in. There are no home games here. This is all about TV revenues which (nationally) get split equally amongst teams, though I'm sure a few teams lobbied to be included to fulfill on local TV contracts.

Unless they have some other means of adding revenue to the winning teams, I'm curious to see what they do with the lottery. It doesn't inherently have to be tied to how the playoffs are handled but without additional home games to pad income as compensation for missing out on the lottery, I wonder if they won't do something a little more extreme. I'm definitely curious.

That's almost the point. Wall is not coming in like Oladipo. I could understand them saying no if he were returning with 8 games left and everyone is in playoff form but everyone will have been off for months and will be going cold turkey just like John

There's a BIG difference between being off for a few months and not playing in an NBA game for almost 19 months as is the case with Wall. John will not be on equal footing with players who just stopped playing NBA games in mid-March as you seem to suggest.

The Zards and Wall have practiced extreme caution when it comes to John's rehab with the goal of having him fully healthy for the 2020-21 season. That shouldn't change now.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#183 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 5, 2020 2:06 am

I'm with what Zards said.

Anyway, the decision has been made, not much point taking an extra lap.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,357

Post#184 » by doclinkin » Fri Jun 5, 2020 3:04 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258343/NBA-Freezes-Records-For-All-14-Eventual-Lottery-Teams

Awesome. So we are in the lotto at what—#9 ? — and will still be able to play for a post season slot.

CAKE!
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#185 » by Doug_Blew » Fri Jun 5, 2020 3:33 am

doclinkin wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258343/NBA-Freezes-Records-For-All-14-Eventual-Lottery-Teams

Awesome. So we are in the lotto at what—#9 ? — and will still be able to play for a post season slot.

CAKE!

That would be great!!!
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#186 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 3:48 am

I think John's going to say he's not gonna play the whole playing thing isn't any different that regular season and we know he wasn't coming back for that. He will be there he will be in shape and maybe if we get in for sure. He might come back then.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#187 » by DCZards » Fri Jun 5, 2020 3:50 am

doclinkin wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258343/NBA-Freezes-Records-For-All-14-Eventual-Lottery-Teams

CAKE!

I don't read it that way. The language says this: "The NBA has announced that the 14 Lottery teams will be the eight teams that do not participate in the restart and the six teams that participate in the restart but do not qualify for the playoffs."

This says to me that only the teams that "do not qualify for the playoffs" are in the lottery, which makes it clear that if the Zards are one of the 16 teams that make the playoffs they will NOT be a lottery team.

When it says that the NBA is "freezing records" it means that the 8 games played by the 6 teams in Orlando that do not make the playoffs will not be a part of their final record. So if the Zards are not a playoff team they will end the season as a lottery team with a 24-40 record.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#188 » by doclinkin » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:43 pm

DCZards wrote:

CAKE!

I don't read it that way. The language says this: "The NBA has announced that the 14 Lottery teams will be the eight teams that do not participate in the restart and the six teams that participate in the restart but do not qualify for the playoffs."

This says to me that only the teams that "do not qualify for the playoffs" are in the lottery, which makes it clear that if the Zards are one of the 16 teams that make the playoffs they will NOT be a lottery team.

When it says that the NBA is "freezing records" it means that the 8 games played by the 6 teams in Orlando that do not make the playoffs will not be a part of their final record. So if the Zards are not a playoff team they will end the season with a lottery team with a 24-40 record.

Yeah I suppose you're right. Ok, that's fair. Ok well then there is a lesser incentive to tank then at least. Yes you could still win and make the playoffs, but you cannot improve your standing by sliding.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#189 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:38 pm

I don't understand why John wouldn't come back but I guess he's being careful. He might be out of shape too

gambitx777
General Manager

Post#190 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:40 pm

Dude this could be crazy work is Luka is hella out of shape and what if others are too. what if some players bought in on it being cancelled ? What if the freak doesn't have enough help. Like man **** gonna be crazy

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#191 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:56 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Dude this could be crazy work is Luka is hella out of shape and what if others are too. what if some players bought in on it being cancelled ? What if the freak doesn't have enough help. Like man **** gonna be crazy

Funny thing was - sometime I think in early April, Giannis admitted he hadn't shot a basket since the shutdown started, because he doesn't have a hoop at his house. I think that got Budenholzer's attention, because he spoke shortly after that promising the Bucks would be 100% ready and focused when things start back up.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#192 » by Tyrone Messby » Fri Jun 5, 2020 5:19 pm

Let Wall rest. We brought back Arenas way too early and he was never the same. I put a lot of that blame on our terrible med staff then though. Having said that, we will get a healthy and ready to go Wall back in December. That’s a long break and he should be fresh as hell. I’m pumped we get to play a few additional games regardless of whether or not we make the playoffs. Think best case is we win a few games and barely miss the playoffs and leave with our heads held high and hold onto the 9th pick.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#193 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 5, 2020 5:49 pm

No... best case is win the title! :) 2d best case you nailed however!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#194 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 5, 2020 6:29 pm

My head says - don't lose any ping pong balls; my heart says - win every game possible.

My heart's a fool. :)

I'd pay to just watch the team practice now.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#195 » by dlts20 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 9:00 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:Let Wall rest. We brought back Arenas way too early and he was never the same. I put a lot of that blame on our terrible med staff then though. Having said that, we will get a healthy and ready to go Wall back in December. That’s a long break and he should be fresh as hell. I’m pumped we get to play a few additional games regardless of whether or not we make the playoffs. Think best case is we win a few games and barely miss the playoffs and leave with our heads held high and hold onto the 9th pick.
that was pretty much all Gils fault. Our med staff sucked but Gil was basically doing his own rehab and going way overboard with it
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#196 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 10:19 pm

I think wall is just managing expectations . He wasn't coming back and wasn't going to play competitive ball till oct/sep so maybe he's sticking to it

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#197 » by I_Like_Dirt » Sat Jun 6, 2020 1:00 am

gambitx777 wrote:I don't understand why John wouldn't come back but I guess he's being careful. He might be out of shape too

I would suggest he probably does want to come back very much. Sometimes caution is warranted and emotional decisions need to be overridden is all.
Bucket! Bucket!
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#198 » by dlts20 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 1:47 pm

Wall-"I'm 110 percent. I'm going to be better than ever".

Reporter "what about the playoffs"?

Wall- "Now hold up".... Lol
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#199 » by doclinkin » Sat Jun 6, 2020 5:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:My head says - don't lose any ping pong balls; my heart says - win every game possible.

My heart's a fool. :)

I'd pay to just watch the team practice now.

We can jump up to 1-4 in the lotto. Who in that top 4 is worth losing to get?
And otherwise who from 9-14 is a player significantly better than players 15 & lower.

This year I don’t see a cluster of standouts who are likely available by 9-10 but who will surely gone by 15.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#200 » by likwitdesi » Sat Jun 6, 2020 8:46 pm

Isn't Walll sitting out so that Ted can pick up the insurance policy on his contract?

Return to Washington Wizards