Image ImageImage Image

Revamped Playoffs Discussion

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Re: Revamped Playoffs Discussion 

Post#41 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Jun 4, 2020 10:09 pm

Thank God our season is over.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#42 » by dice » Thu Jun 4, 2020 10:58 pm

basically, the league wants the blazers and pelicans to end up tied and within 4 games of memphis, right? then they have a tiebreaker game for the 9 seed with the winner playing a best-of-3 play-in against memphis?

i don't like the idea of making the rest of the playoff teams wait a week before getting the postseason started, but we know what this is about
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#43 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:08 am

Pax for Prez wrote:Looks like the Bulls will now pick anywhere between 1-8.

The Warriors, Cavaliers, Timberwolves, Hawks, Pistons, Knicks, Bulls, and Hornets will likely be locked into the top eight lottery slots, a source tells Hoops Rumors. The order within the top eight has yet to be determined, but the structure means the Wizards couldn’t go 0-8 this summer when the season resumes and land a better position in the lottery than those teams that won’t be playing.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/06/latest-on-the-nbas-lottery-plans.html

Top 9 Players

A. Edwards - Georgia
L. Ball - USA
J. Wiseman - Memphis
O. Toppin - Dayton
K. Hayes - Internat. - France
D. Avdija - Internat. - Israel
O. Okongwu - USC
T. Hailburton - Iowa St
I. Okoro - Auburn

Pax

That is or lottery odds, not draft slot. The Bulls are locked into the 7th lotto odds. The Wizards will have the 9th lotto odds, but they can still pass the Bulls by winning the lottery. It is still possible, the Bulls could draft as low as 10 (though exceptionally unlikely). 8 is still their most likely single landing position by far
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,310

Post#44 » by Stratmaster » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:18 am

And... we still don't get to see the original expected starting lineup play together.

They should have just written off this season so they can start next season on time. This just screws with everything.

I wonder what money grabbing idiots thought this up (that's a rhetorical question)...

So with 2 seasons now screwed up, I guess the good thing is I learned I can live without sports.

Likely be 21-22 season before I pay attention again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#45 » by Pax for Prez » Fri Jun 5, 2020 2:05 am

dougthonus wrote:

The Warriors, Cavaliers, Timberwolves, Hawks, Pistons, Knicks, Bulls, and Hornets will likely be locked into the top eight lottery slots, a source tells Hoops Rumors. The order within the top eight has yet to be determined, but the structure means the Wizards couldn’t go 0-8 this summer when the season resumes and land a better position in the lottery than those teams that won’t be playing.

Top 9 Players

A. Edwards - Georgia
L. Ball - USA
J. Wiseman - Memphis
O. Toppin - Dayton
O. Okongwu - USC
T. Hailburton - Iowa St
I. Okoro - Auburn

Pax

That is or lottery odds, not draft slot. The Bulls are locked into the 7th lotto odds. The Wizards will have the 9th lotto odds, but they can still pass the Bulls by winning the lottery. It is still possible, the Bulls could draft as low as 10 (though exceptionally unlikely). 8 is still their most likely single landing position by far

Yes the Hooprumor article wasn't clear when I 1st posted. I was hoping only the 8 teams that were left out of playing were only in the lottery as an offset to not playing and the loss of revenue. Obvious that was not the case.

Pax
dice
RealGM

Post#46 » by dice » Fri Jun 5, 2020 2:26 am

Pax for Prez wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Top 9 Players

A. Edwards - Georgia
L. Ball - USA
J. Wiseman - Memphis
O. Toppin - Dayton
O. Okongwu - USC
T. Hailburton - Iowa St
I. Okoro - Auburn

Pax

Yes the Hooprumor article wasn't clear when I 1st posted. I was hoping only the 8 teams that were left out of playing were only in the lottery as an offset to not playing and the loss of revenue. Obvious that was not the case.

Pax

that's interesting. would the wizards have wanted to be in the lottery if it was an 8 team lottery? or would they take the TV revenue from completing this regular season (along w/ outside shot of the privilege of getting murdered by the bucks in round 1)?

quick google search doesn't turn up any contract information on their local TV contract. early in the season their ratings were down huge, though
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#47 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 5, 2020 10:31 am

dice wrote:that's interesting. would the wizards have wanted to be in the lottery if it was an 8 team lottery? or would they take the TV revenue from completing this regular season (along w/ outside shot of the privilege of getting murdered by the bucks in round 1)?

quick google search doesn't turn up any contract information on their local TV contract. early in the season their ratings were down huge, though

If it was an 8 team lottery then I think they'd take the lotto position. I doubt they lost all that much money on the local TV deal, though the ratings probably weren't relevant to them, because they probably are losing a fixed amount based on the negotiation and aren't variable to the ratings. Even if they were variable, it was probably thresholds of which they already know they'll fall in a low one.

My guess is local TV money over six games isn't going to matter much unless you hit some magic threshold of games played to reach some gate in the contract.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#48 » by Red8911 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 11:54 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:Thank God our season is over.

True but then the next bulls game we see is at the end of December. That sucks, even the draft lottery is far on August 25th. 9 months without a bulls game though is a long time...
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#49 » by Red8911 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 11:59 am

Stratmaster wrote:And... we still don't get to see the original expected starting lineup play together.

They should have just written off this season so they can start next season on time. This just screws with everything.

I wonder what money grabbing idiots thought this up (that's a rhetorical question)...

So with 2 seasons now screwed up, I guess the good thing is I learned I can live without sports.

Exactly they could of started back up now then finish it by July/August and then start the new season at the regular time in November. I don’t understand why their waiting so long to return.
troza
Junior
And1: 128

Post#50 » by troza » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:45 pm

Red8911 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:And... we still don't get to see the original expected starting lineup play together.

Exactly they could of started back up now then finish it by July/August and then start the new season at the regular time in November. I don’t understand why their waiting so long to return.

As for me, I would like to see this season end. There is no guarantee that things will be well to start the other on time. That is why the schedule is announced as flexible or something like that.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#51 » by nitetrain8603 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 2:40 pm

Red8911 wrote:

There are logistics and contracts with Disney that have to be signed. Plus they have to make sure the accommodations meet expectations and the players are comfortable.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#52 » by League Circles » Fri Jun 5, 2020 3:53 pm

I'm bummed our season is over.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#53 » by TheStig » Fri Jun 5, 2020 8:17 pm

I have an idea for the league. Since you have all these young stars on the sideline, they should do a draft of them to the teams in the bubble for the rest of the year. Lowest ranked team gets #1 and so on. So you get guys like young, lavine, collins, KAT, Griffin, Curry and Russel in the playoffs.

Would be interesting to see if adding Curry to Washington or Kat to the Spurs or such could push a first round upset.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,395

Post#54 » by TheGOATRises007 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 8:22 pm

TheStig wrote:I have an idea for the league. Since you have all these young stars on the sideline, they should do a draft of them to the teams in the bubble for the rest of the year. Lowest ranked team gets #1 and so on. So you get guys like young, lavine, collins, KAT, Griffin, Curry and Russel in the playoffs.

Would be interesting to see if adding Curry to Washington or Kat to the Spurs or such could push a first round upset.

This is pure fantasy.

Would never happen.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#55 » by TheStig » Fri Jun 5, 2020 9:56 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
TheStig wrote:I have an idea for the league. Since you have all these young stars on the sideline, they should do a draft of them to the teams in the bubble for the rest of the year. Lowest ranked team gets #1 and so on. So you get guys like young, lavine, collins, KAT, Griffin, Curry and Russel in the playoffs.

This is pure fantasy.

Would never happen.

It would be pretty cool if it did happen.
dice
RealGM

Post#56 » by dice » Fri Jun 5, 2020 11:14 pm

dougthonus wrote:
dice wrote:that's interesting. would the wizards have wanted to be in the lottery if it was an 8 team lottery? or would they take the TV revenue from completing this regular season (along w/ outside shot of the privilege of getting murdered by the bucks in round 1)?

If it was an 8 team lottery then I think they'd take the lotto position. I doubt they lost all that much money on the local TV deal, though the ratings probably weren't relevant to them, because they probably are losing a fixed amount based on the negotiation and aren't variable to the ratings. Even if they were variable, it was probably thresholds of which they already know they'll fall in a low one.

My guess is local TV money over six games isn't going to matter much unless you hit some magic threshold of games played to reach some gate in the contract.

i've heard that most if not all teams have a 70 game minimum requirement
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#57 » by R3AL1TY » Sat Jun 6, 2020 3:14 am

The NBA looks like they want Zion in the middle of things real bad for ratings by having more teams in the western conference for this seeding tournament. Hopefully, this experiment works, but I think things won't feel the same.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#58 » by TheStig » Sat Jun 6, 2020 4:22 am

dougthonus wrote:

Top 9 Players

A. Edwards - Georgia
L. Ball - USA
J. Wiseman - Memphis
O. Toppin - Dayton
O. Okongwu - USC
T. Hailburton - Iowa St
I. Okoro - Auburn

Pax

Doug, we're the Bulls. We're drafting 7th. Screw what the odds say. 7 it is......
TheStig
RealGM

Post#59 » by TheStig » Sat Jun 6, 2020 4:24 am

dice wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

i've heard that most if not all teams have a 70 game minimum requirement

They should have had the loser bracket in vegas for the top lotto spots! Problem solved.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Post#60 » by samwana » Sat Jun 6, 2020 1:35 pm

This whole solution trying to solve this completely ruined season is ruining another season. Why? I don't understand how those left out teams agree with this format.
I agree with Cowley that 8 teams are getting off with nothing but negatives. Players of 8 teams can't play, can't socialize and are shut out of competitive basketball activities.
I don't want to see a Boylen coached team anymore either.. But it would have been more fun to have an 'August Madness' over this whatever compromise to which interests. Keep the draft to how the standings are now.
Next season could have been a normal season and every team would have had the option to play and be part of something special.

Not interested in basketball without the Bulls.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Chicago Bulls