2020 NBA Draft

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

2020 NBA Draft 

Post#1 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:42 am

What should we do at this years draft.

We're currently at the 29th pick and we don't have our 2nd (which is with the 76ers, still destroying us from that Bynum trade i presume).

With the 29th pick, here is who i think we should look at

Precious Achiuwa - (31st - Tankathon, 18th - nbadraft.net)

Solid P.F who would be available at around our range, very solid rebounder who is also a solid defender. Whilst he won't be a star scorer, we could certainly do worse. Defensively as well he is very good

Tre Jones - (24th - Tankathon, 41st - nbadraft.net)

Duke P.G with good defensive abilities, also is a very solid passer. 3rd in assists per game in the draft (at least that i know of). Not a great shooter however (36% at college, probably translates to low 30's at the pros) but he has the ability to learn off some solid vets (under Lebron and Rondo) to become a really good role player.

Vernon Carey - (26th - Tankathon, 13th - nbadraft.net)

A proper big has a high scoring percentage, good defensive ability and some impressive advanced stats. Not much of a stretch big so that could be an issue, could realistically fall to us at 29th and is certainly worth a shot.

Isaiah Stewart - (20th - Tankathon, 21st - nbadraft.net)

A fairly ambitious take here but if he's mocked at 20 their is a chance he falls to 29th (especially with bigs in recent years). Stewart is a 6'9 centre with a 7'4 wingspan and has an NBA ready body. Definately falls under the more traditional big men category. Coming into the year Stewart wasn't rated that far behind Wiseman but whilst he had a decent year in college, many other bigs emerged and overshadowed him. I think if you put him in our system with a long term idea to put him next to A.D as his big man partner, he'd excel. I think he could really excel with us (pretty much what Drummond was meant to be, good defense and amazing rebounding ability with solid athleticism). If he slides to us i think many teams would be kicking themselves.

Who we should consider trading up for:

RJ Hampton - (11th - Tankathon, 17th - nbadraft.net)

Watching the NBL, Hampton is better than his stats suggests. He played for a highly disfunctional New Zealand Breakers this year but i think he still has a ton of potential. This guy was meant to be the #1 or #2 pick this time last year for the 2020 draft. He could easily fall out of the lottery and if he does, we should find a way to trade up for him (maybe giving up Danny Green and the pick) cause he could be our long term P.G and honestly has all-star potential.

Nico Mannion - (21st - Tankathon, 12th - nbadraft.net)

Another P.G who had a pretty poor year that was rated highly. I think he failed to live up to that potential but we could develop him nicely to become our long term P.G

Aaron Nesmith (18th - Tankathon, 25th - nbadraft.net)

Less of a potential pick here and more of a draft him for immediate impact. He is only 20 years old still but was one of the best scorers in college last year shooting above 50% from the field and 3 (on a lot of shots as well). the Vanderbilt S.F probably won't slip that far and if he proves his athleticism at combine (if their is one) their could be teams taking a look at him in the lottery.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#2 » by dockingsched » Wed May 6, 2020 8:49 pm

the Lakers Magic Sixers Bynum D12 trade was years ago, that second round owed pick has nothing to do with it haha.

Lakers traded that future pick to ORL to get the rights to THT. Orlando later on traded it to PHI.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#3 » by youngWizzy » Sat May 9, 2020 2:11 am

Hello everybody,

Tool: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com

I recently developed an NBA Draft Comparison tool that has gained a good amount of popularity on Twitter by several draft analysts

The tool retrieves similar physical, statistical (per40), and advanced stat comparisons for any player dating back to the 2000 NBA Draft based on their position

Note: Advanced stats only go back to the 2011 Draft and there are currently only limited physical comparisons for some of the 2020 prospects as the combine hasn't reported official measurements. Additionally, if you cannot find a player in the stats, visuals, or advanced pages you can enter their sports-reference url and the site will generate the comparisons then.

If you end up seeing this, any feedback/comments/suggestions that you have or would like me to add a feature to the website is something that I'd appreciate a whole lot. You can dm me here but preferable on twitter:youngwizzydfs and I will respond asap.

The experience is a lot better on desktop/laptop than mobile which is something I am working on right now

If you don't mind sharing the tool with your friends and people that would mean a whole lot as it could lead to potential donations to my site that will help keep it up! Been working on this for a few years now so it's been one hell of a roller coaster ride!

Per 40 stat comparison can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/stats

Advanced stat comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/advanced

Physical comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/measurements

A visualizations page which visualizes how a player compares to their position can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/visuals

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#4 » by karkinos » Sat Jun 6, 2020 5:42 pm

Spens1 wrote:What should we do at this years draft.

We're currently at the 29th pick and we don't have our 2nd (which is with the 76ers, still destroying us from that Bynum trade i presume).

With the 29th pick, here is who i think we should look at

Precious Achiuwa - (31st - Tankathon, 18th - nbadraft.net)

Solid P.F who would be available at around our range, very solid rebounder who is also a solid defender. Whilst he won't be a star scorer, we could certainly do worse. Defensively as well he is very good

Tre Jones - (24th - Tankathon, 41st - nbadraft.net)

Duke P.G with good defensive abilities, also is a very solid passer. 3rd in assists per game in the draft (at least that i know of). Not a great shooter however (36% at college, probably translates to low 30's at the pros) but he has the ability to learn off some solid vets (under Lebron and Rondo) to become a really good role player.

Vernon Carey - (26th - Tankathon, 13th - nbadraft.net)

A proper big has a high scoring percentage, good defensive ability and some impressive advanced stats. Not much of a stretch big so that could be an issue, could realistically fall to us at 29th and is certainly worth a shot.

Isaiah Stewart - (20th - Tankathon, 21st - nbadraft.net)

A fairly ambitious take here but if he's mocked at 20 their is a chance he falls to 29th (especially with bigs in recent years). Stewart is a 6'9 centre with a 7'4 wingspan and has an NBA ready body. Definately falls under the more traditional big men category. Coming into the year Stewart wasn't rated that far behind Wiseman but whilst he had a decent year in college, many other bigs emerged and overshadowed him. I think if you put him in our system with a long term idea to put him next to A.D as his big man partner, he'd excel. I think he could really excel with us (pretty much what Drummond was meant to be, good defense and amazing rebounding ability with solid athleticism). If he slides to us i think many teams would be kicking themselves.

Who we should consider trading up for:

RJ Hampton - (11th - Tankathon, 17th - nbadraft.net)

Watching the NBL, Hampton is better than his stats suggests. He played for a highly disfunctional New Zealand Breakers this year but i think he still has a ton of potential. This guy was meant to be the #1 or #2 pick this time last year for the 2020 draft. He could easily fall out of the lottery and if he does, we should find a way to trade up for him (maybe giving up Danny Green and the pick) cause he could be our long term P.G and honestly has all-star potential.

Nico Mannion - (21st - Tankathon, 12th - nbadraft.net)

Another P.G who had a pretty poor year that was rated highly. I think he failed to live up to that potential but we could develop him nicely to become our long term P.G

Aaron Nesmith (18th - Tankathon, 25th - nbadraft.net)

Less of a potential pick here and more of a draft him for immediate impact. He is only 20 years old still but was one of the best scorers in college last year shooting above 50% from the field and 3 (on a lot of shots as well). the Vanderbilt S.F probably won't slip that far and if he proves his athleticism at combine (if their is one) their could be teams taking a look at him in the lottery.

Tre jones definitely love him as a prospect. with the depth at PG, him just being a good defender will get him minutes right away.

Aaron Nesmith - agree he's worth considering to trade up for because he's a sharp shooter.

nico mannion - disagree. never thought of him highly as a prospect. undersized, not a great defender, and his shooting is easily replaceable. let someone else overpay for him.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#5 » by Landsberger » Sat Jun 6, 2020 9:06 pm

My assumption is that we trade Kuzma and our first so we can continue to shed salary in the never ending quest for 3 superstars. I really don't see us wanting to have a guaranteed salary slot for a very late first round pick.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#6 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sun Jun 7, 2020 4:22 pm

With West gone I don’t spect us to draft another gem
Forum permissions