ImageImageImage

Random Thoughts XIX

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Re: Random Thoughts XIX 

Post#1261 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Jun 7, 2020 9:22 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:
Chalm Down wrote:got a bad case of the cabin fever today

running out of shows to watch and recipes to cook

There’s like 18 seasons of pokemon. Have you seen them all?

You really missed on a great opportunity to say "gotta catch em all"

That was gonna be my followup reply.
OP for NBA FT record
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,742

Post#1262 » by Chalm Down » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:30 am

goodboy wrote:
Chalm Down wrote:
goodboy wrote:make me something

what u want?

your booty

Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
Chalm Down
RealGM

Post#1263 » by Chalm Down » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:31 am

IggieCC wrote:

Would you be interested in organizing a protest against Wish.com?

I am pro wish scamming you
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
Chalm Down
RealGM

Post#1264 » by Chalm Down » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:33 am

HeatFanLifer wrote:

I think I watched it up until the third region

Last season seemed intedasting though, at least
Spoiler:
Ash
won the
Spoiler:
championship
finally
Chalm Down
RealGM

Post#1265 » by Chalm Down » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:41 am

HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#1266 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 12:33 pm

Chalm Down wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:

Last season seemed intedasting though,
Spoiler:
at least Ash won the championship finally

SPOILER ALERT!

Read on Twitter
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#1267 » by IggieCC » Mon Jun 8, 2020 5:32 pm

Chalm Down wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:

Spoiler:
Ash
won the
Spoiler:
championship
finally

Are there 18 regions or seasons?
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1268 » by IggieCC » Mon Jun 8, 2020 5:33 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Chalm Down wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:

Last season seemed intedasting though,
Spoiler:
at least Ash won the championship finally

SPOILER ALERT!

Spoiler:

That was pretty whack. But you know you're dealing with scum here. Just say the price and I will make it happen.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#1269 » by HeatFanLifer » Mon Jun 8, 2020 5:38 pm

Chalm Down wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:

Spoiler:
Ash
won the
Spoiler:
championship
finally

GOTTA WATCH EM ALL
OP for NBA FT record
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#1270 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:51 pm

Can we get a poll going on which of Misty's sisters are the hottest?

So much better than those BBW pics we used to get from Heatlanta

Read on Twitter
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#1271 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:53 pm

Chalm Down wrote:
goodboy wrote:
Chalm Down wrote:
what u want?

your booty

So at first I thought this Gif was about Kevin Love, but if you do enough lip reading you can see JR say "Dont touch my a**, really dont touch my a**"

Read on Twitter
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1273 » by IggieCC » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:08 am

For New Zealanders eddie

But I'm leaning toward the opinion that the virus is losing its potency. It's not like that was never going to happen. It's a known fact that virus sometimes goes away. When they can't spread and survive like they used to, they mutate to (generally) weaken themselves so that they can live in their hosts longer. If they can't spread by mutating, then they will just cease to exist. GG eddie
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,462

Post#1274 » by Bishop45 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:59 pm

Not '68, but one of the wildest yrs in modern US history for sure, every month feels like this:

Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1275 » by Bishop45 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 2:25 pm

Lifer, just read this book by Ezra Klein named "Why we're polarized" and thought of recent convos I've had with you and few others in my community about media literacy and the likes. He's a liberal for sure, but the takes are pretty non-partisan, you would like the book I think. Never a better, and thorough explanation on how Trump supporters are rational actors in the scheme of things.

Bought some old books back this wk too, tried to get my Baldwin: 'Price of the Ticket' back but that's ballooned to a cost of about $600- brazy.

Wanna pair mango Converse disrupts, and Big L Ewing Sport Lite's as well, but avowed to never spending above a bill for a pair of kicks

Rest in Power Chadwick

HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#1276 » by HeatFanLifer » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:20 pm

Bishop45 wrote:Lifer, just read this book by Ezra Klein named "Why we're polarized" and thought of recent convos I've had with you and few others in my community about media literacy and the likes. He's a liberal for sure, but the takes are pretty non-partisan, you would like the book I think. Never a better, and thorough explanation on how Trump supporters are rational actors in the scheme of things.

Correct me if I’m wrong here about what Klein states Bish, but he basically says the two party system is inherently polarizing. I have no disagreement with that. The issue I have is:

1) He provides no alternative, noting a multiparty system is worse due to deadlock

And 2) He fails to note the culpability of the press in promoting partisanship

I think this current structure of the media promotion of party politics really began when Fox News called the election for Bush in 2000. After Fox called Florida for Bush, the media then instantly jumped on the badwagon calling Florida for Bush. What other outlets at the time failed to realize though, was that Fox was pulling a partisan move.

After that card was played, many in the media over a couple of years time began to realize that independent unbiased journalism does not gain viewers and since Fox was ok with who they were, liberal leaning news organization were justified in doing the same. I think this was a mistake.

The strength of the press and even the liberal structure was showing diverse points of view, including conservative views. Instead, diversity of thought began to be discouraged to unify a message and win elections (which was what the conservatives were doing). Thus began a downward spiral of breaking down barriers between actual reporting and party talking points.

This breakdown of barriers has continued to evolve to the point that now many once prominent news outlets not only fail to independently report stories that disagree with party position, they are now even banning op-eds as well. Nothing good will come of this. We need dialogue with those we disagree with.

I’m hoping this changes, but open discussions of people to people without party talking points, is necessary and should be encouraged. Something now it appears to me that social media and even the press is discouraging.
OP for NBA FT record
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1277 » by Bishop45 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:38 pm

HeatFanLifer wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:Lifer, just read this book by Ezra Klein named "Why we're polarized" and thought of recent convos I've had with you and few others in my community about media literacy and the likes. He's a liberal for sure, but the takes are pretty non-partisan, you would like the book I think. Never a better, and thorough explanation on how Trump supporters are rational actors in the scheme of things.

Correct me if I’m wrong here about what Klein states Bish, but he basically says the two party system is inherently polarizing. I have no disagreement with that. The issue I have is:

1) He provides no alternative, noting a multiparty system is worse due to deadlock

And 2) He fails to note the culpability of the press in promoting partisanship

I think this current structure of the media promotion of party politics really began when Fox News called the election for Bush in 2000. After Fox called Florida for Bush, the media then instantly jumped on the badwagon calling Florida for Bush. What other outlets at the time failed to realize though, was that Fox was pulling a partisan move.

After that card was played, many in the media over a couple of years time began to realize that independent unbiased journalism does not gain viewers and since Fox was ok with who they were, liberal leaning news organization were justified in doing the same. I think this was a mistake.

The strength of the press and even the liberal structure was showing diverse points of view, including conservative views. Instead, diversity of thought began to be discouraged to unify a message and win elections (which was what the conservatices were doing). Thus began a downward spiral of breaking down barriers between actual reporting and party talking points.

This breakdown of barriers has continued to evolve to the point that now many once prominent news outlets not only fail to independently report stories that disagree with party position, they are now even banning op-eds as well. Nothing good will come of this. We need dialogue with those we disagree with.

I’m hoping this changes, but open discussions of people to people without party talking points, is necessary and should be encouraged. Something now it appears to me that social media and even the press is discouraging.

You read it already? He lays some alternatives in the final chapter, although he's disclaims everything to be of his own opinion.

He said that we'd likely be better off with a parliamentary system, but adds that if you just look at some of the governments over in Europe that you can see that it isn't a panacea for polarization. Ends it by saying that proportional representation, something like Rank choice voting, would likely work better in this country, as much as the era of Dixiecrats/Democrats/liberal Republicans/Conservative Republicans of the previous era (imbued with hopefully less racism)

The second note is unconscionable to me, maybe 3/4's of the book is speaking on the culpability of the press in this and their assist to the rise of identitarian media- especially his own Vox media. Idk about that take. I thought he spoke some grace to his profession, especially with how he shaped the convo with the APSA comittee report from the 50's stating that there wasn't nearly enough polarization at the time, a pov that overarchs our current media praxis quite succinctly imo

2000 might be a bit late, if you can remember Fox's coverage of the Clinton impeachment, but I think most of the hyper-partisan media had it's slow start with the strike down of the FCC Fairness Doctrine and Nixon's memo's of administration based media in the 70's- not from the book, but my take.

We can't have good faith dialogue when we can't agree on facts. A reality you can see reflected on any 5 minutes of any congressional hearing these days- gridlock's at a dead high. Change is the rule of everything, so it's bound to happen- albeit through reform before any real dialogue though.

I didn't expect much, but was thoroughly surprised at how deep the book went.

Rest in Power Chadwick

Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1278 » by Bishop45 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:40 pm

Broke my quarentine chaste for some pussae

Might not be covid, but I noticed some brown stuff on my sweatpants the other morning- no idea what it is

Rest in Power Chadwick

HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#1279 » by HeatIn5 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Bishop45 wrote:Broke my quarentine chaste for some pussae

Might not be covid, but I noticed some brown stuff on my sweatpants the other morning- no idea what it is

Yea that's what made me break it too.

And that sir is poo poo

Read on Twitter
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1280 » by Bishop45 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:03 pm

Cops done and over with after 30 yrs, but we still have this gem

Rest in Power Chadwick