Playoff bound Hornets?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Re: Playoff bound Hornets? 

Post#21 » by -Ian- » Fri Jun 5, 2020 4:42 pm

LofJ wrote:
-Ian- wrote:MJ/Hornets better be compensated through the draft lottery for being left out.

I want Anthony Edwards. This team needs a player that can bring excitement and score. It's time for the league to stop **** on this franchise and give us something.

Considering our history, it's more likely that we'll drop down in the lottery. :banghead:

Seriously though, it would be **** up if one of the 8 teams fall down the seeding.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#22 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 5, 2020 5:56 pm

-Ian- wrote:
LofJ wrote:
-Ian- wrote:MJ/Hornets better be compensated through the draft lottery for being left out.

I want Anthony Edwards. This team needs a player that can bring excitement and score. It's time for the league to stop **** on this franchise and give us something.

Considering our history, it's more likely that we'll drop down in the lottery. :banghead:

Seriously though, it would be **** up if one of the 8 teams fall down the seeding.

We're due, it's going to happen eventually.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

Post#23 » by HornetJail » Fri Jun 5, 2020 6:41 pm

LofJ wrote:
-Ian- wrote:
LofJ wrote:

and what better time than in a draft without an obvious franchise talent? This is the Bobcats way
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#24 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 5, 2020 9:14 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
LofJ wrote:
-Ian- wrote:Considering our history, it's more likely that we'll drop down in the lottery. :banghead:

and what better time than in a draft without an obvious franchise talent? This is the Bobcats way

I think Edwards is a franchise talent. He is a year younger than most of his peers and he showed out enough on both sides of the court for me to believe in his potential.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

Post#25 » by HornetJail » Fri Jun 5, 2020 9:23 pm

LofJ wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
LofJ wrote:

I think Edwards is a franchise talent. He is a year younger than most of his peers and he showed out enough on both sides of the court for me to believe in his potential.

yeah I can believe in Wiseman or Edwards, but they're not can't miss prospects like an AD/Zion/Simmons etc
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#26 » by BigSlam » Sat Jun 6, 2020 12:26 pm

Wait....why should the team be compensated for being bad?

It’s not the NBA’s fault we aren’t good enough to be a playoff team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#27 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Jun 6, 2020 8:48 pm

BigSlam wrote:Wait....why should the team be compensated for being bad?

Strawman.

Took me way too long to figure out what you were responding to as well.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#28 » by 316Hornets » Sun Jun 7, 2020 1:48 am

Yeah, I guess it isn't a big deal. I was thinking the teams sitting below 8th seed were going to get a real shot to go to the playoffs, but it looks like they'll be more of a cupcake team with no real shot at getting in. It sucks our guys aren't going to get experience because a young team needs that.

The only request I would make is ensure that a team like Washington or Phoenix can't pass us in the draft outside of winning the lottery since they are being invited to play more. (In example, Washington goes 1-7 and their record becomes worse than ours. They should not pass us in the draft position outside of winning the lottery)

edit: Looks like that's what they are doing. So, it's all good I guess.

Read on Twitter
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,812

Post#29 » by Diop » Sun Jun 7, 2020 7:03 am

Just shut up and give us the number 1 draft pick!
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#30 » by BlackOutBuzz » Tue Jun 9, 2020 4:01 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:It sounds like MJ was a big influence on the league deciding against a group stage or other major playoff overhaul.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29269506/adam-silver-pondering-older-coaches-bench-nba-returns

"Once the playoffs start, and this was a point made by Michael Jordan, whose team is not one of the 22 teams [that will play in Orlando], but he is clearly the most respected voice in the room when it comes to basketball. He felt it was very important that after we established the 16 teams, we not get gimmicky. Because there were a lot of proposals on the table to do unique tournaments and do pool play like you see in international competition. And we took many of those proposals very seriously.

"But, ultimately, I agreed with Michael. There's so much chaos in the world right now, even before the racial unrest we are experiencing right now, that let's come as close to normal as we can. And that is top eight in the West, top eight in the East, playing four rounds of seven games. So that is what we intend to do, and our goal is to crown the champion."

I think he was right about that. There will be less asterisk talk if the format sticks as close to normal as possible.

I actually think this would've been a good time to try something new... for once there was real momentum and willingness to test the waters. Maybe next season with the expedited schedule.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,396

Post#31 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Jun 9, 2020 4:29 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:It sounds like MJ was a big influence on the league deciding against a group stage or other major playoff overhaul.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29269506/adam-silver-pondering-older-coaches-bench-nba-returns

"Once the playoffs start, and this was a point made by Michael Jordan, whose team is not one of the 22 teams [that will play in Orlando], but he is clearly the most respected voice in the room when it comes to basketball. He felt it was very important that after we established the 16 teams, we not get gimmicky. Because there were a lot of proposals on the table to do unique tournaments and do pool play like you see in international competition. And we took many of those proposals very seriously.

"But, ultimately, I agreed with Michael. There's so much chaos in the world right now, even before the racial unrest we are experiencing right now, that let's come as close to normal as we can. And that is top eight in the West, top eight in the East, playing four rounds of seven games. So that is what we intend to do, and our goal is to crown the champion."

I think he was right about that. There will be less asterisk talk if the format sticks as close to normal as possible.

I actually think this would've been a good time to try something new... for once there was real momentum and willingness to test the waters. Maybe next season with the expedited schedule.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think you're right that now would be the easiest time to pass a major overhaul to the format, reports made it sound like teams were willing to agree to practically any proposal as soon as it was officially up for a vote.

The asterisk talk is more for fans, and in that sense I think MJ is correct that the average viewer will see the traditional format as more clearly legitimate than a potentially one-time emergency Corona-induced format. I think there is also something to be said for giving competitors a chance to know the format changes well in advance of the switch rather than dropping it on them out of the blue after three months off. Teams would probably have handled things like load management differently if they knew about the tier-based group draw and intra-conference brackets in January.

The format is kinda shot no matter what though at this point, no crowds, travel doesn't matter, homecourt advantage doesn't exist, etc. It's hard to predict how people will react to everything, and even harder to know what will happen if a major infection breaks out in the 'bubble'. I basically agree with MJ that the conservative choice is to limit the shocks to the system this year if only to avoid being labeled a gimmick playoff. I have no doubt the ideas that were tabled will eventually resurface though, Silver is very clearly in favor of change in all sorts of areas.

Return to Charlotte Hornets