ImageImage

What happens if/when the season resumes?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: What happens if/when the season resumes? 

Post#41 » by d-train » Fri Jun 5, 2020 7:35 pm

JasonStern wrote:From what I've read, the Blazers have the 14th pick regardless. Memphis could be locked out of both the lottery and playoffs if they play poorly.

It says the 14 lottery teams are the teams that are eliminated from the playoffs and in inverse order of their 3/11 record. This means Blazers pick 14 if they are eliminated from playoffs. If Blazers make the playoffs, our draft order is the inverse order of the 16 teams in the playoffs. This puts us behind the 14 lottery teams and 2 teams in the east likely to have worse record. So, Blazers pick 17th if they make the playoffs.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#42 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jun 9, 2020 3:25 pm

So if I understand things correctly, when the season resumes, everyone plays 8 games. If Memphis is still in the 8th spot and the Blazers within 4 games, they play a 2 game series. The Blazers have to win both games to advance to the playoffs. Correct? The Blazers also have any tie breaker because of their record when the season stopped. There were other teams at 3 1/2 games back, but because the Blazers had played 2+ more games than the other teams, their win percentage was just a tad higher. However, what happens if the Blazers move into the 8th seed and the Pelicans and Kings tie for 9th place. Don't they have the same win percentage as of March 11th? How does that scenario play out?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#43 » by d-train » Tue Jun 9, 2020 3:45 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:So if I understand things correctly, when the season resumes, everyone plays 8 games. If Memphis is still in the 8th spot and the Blazers within 4 games, they play a 2 game series. The Blazers have to win both games to advance to the playoffs. Correct? The Blazers also have any tie breaker because of their record when the season stopped. There were other teams at 3 1/2 games back, but because the Blazers had played 2+ more games than the other teams, their win percentage was just a tad higher. However, what happens if the Blazers move into the 8th seed and the Pelicans and Kings tie for 9th place. Don't they have the same win percentage as of March 11th? How does that scenario play out?

You have it right as far as I understand it. I don't get your final question. If Blazers finish the 8 games in 9th place and within 4 games of Grizzlies, we have a chance to beat 8th place team (probably Grizzlies) twice and hop over them into the playoffs as the 8th seed. We are the 8th seed if we win the play-in. The 9th and 10th place teams go home.
d-train
RealGM

Post#44 » by d-train » Tue Jun 9, 2020 4:56 pm

Ok, now I get your question. I was in a hurry this morning and didn't read carefully.

The 9th place team earns a play-in if within 4 games of 8th place team. If the 9th place team wins 2 games, they win 8th seed, else 8th seed team retains 8th seed.
d-train
RealGM

Post#45 » by d-train » Tue Jun 9, 2020 5:01 pm

It's a good system if the scheduling is fair. Basically, you advance if you win your games.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,380

Post#46 » by Myth » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:32 am

I love the idea of this play-in system so much that I wish they would use it in future, full length seasons. Maybe only rare times, like 8th and 9th seed are tied. Instead of using stupid tie breakers as in the past, make them play for the playoff spot.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,806

Post#47 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Is there any chance that the 2020 DEC start date will be permanent and have an 82 game season? Living in a state with cold until May, the idea of a full summer of meaningful regular season / all playoff games being watchable on a patio is a freaking dream. It would create a seamless, non-overlapping football / basketball season (more or less), something I have always wished for.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#48 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:09 am

There seems be growing doubt the season is going to resume with ever increasing CV cases, questions
about how effective the bubble will be, social unrest with players not wanting to be a distraction
while change is happening for black communities, hurricane season, etc. That group phone initiated
by Kyrie Irving mentions Dame, CJ, Zach and Melo and there seems to some reservations about the
whole proposal for CJ was on record as saying he would vote No for a restart but understands a
restart might be necessary if potential 2022 work stoppage is to be avoided.
d-train
RealGM

Post#49 » by d-train » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:08 pm

There is growing NO DOUBT the season will resume. Any player weighing the options between playing and not playing will quickly conclude he absolutely must play when he gets to the money part.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#50 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:58 pm

There really is some doubt but its likely there will be a resumption of play there will be a few players
who will decide not to play. There are some reports of players seeking some insurance to protect
themselves against injury and some who have some underlying pre-existing conditions who will
not risk playing. Players are very wary about the economic issues and the CBA for as it stands, there
is a chance at a 2022 lockout on the horizon, especially if the players refuse to play.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#51 » by GEE » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:36 am

Honestly, the format is all the Blazers could have asked for. As pointed out, If we win our games, we get in.

I also like the idea of using a similar format in years to come. Try to make the last 8-10 games of the now (arguably) long 82 game season, really count for something. The draft lottery could also be incorporated, but some kind of play-in tourney at the end would be cool... especially for teams like us that got crushed by injuries early in the year.
d-train
RealGM

Post#52 » by d-train » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:07 pm

Norm2953 wrote:There really is some doubt but its likely there will be a resumption of play there will be a few players
who will decide not to play. There are some reports of players seeking some insurance to protect
themselves against injury and some who have some underlying pre-existing conditions who will
not risk playing. Players are very wary about the economic issues and the CBA for as it stands, there
is a chance at a 2022 lockout on the horizon, especially if the players refuse to play.

The season will resume and some players might decide to not play. This is a good thing. Any opportunity to collect data that separates the players from the pretenders is good. It's like that Laker game earlier in the season. The players played and the pretenders didn't show up for game time. I don't like disparaging Melo because I believe he is useful as a situational player, but the truth is the truth.
d-train
RealGM

Post#53 » by d-train » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Did anyone notice Charles Barkley picked Blazers as sleeper to win championship?

Blazers have all the elements. It's a matter of the players putting it all together and gelling as a team.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#54 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 pm

who else expects nurk to start shooting threes

Read on Twitter
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#55 » by mighty_duck » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:02 pm

Looks like Ariza is out for the restart. That sucks, but I respect and understand his reasoning.
We really need to get a replacement wing (or two!). Who's available?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#56 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:21 pm

IDK if I am reading this wrong, but it seems pretty clear that Ariza's capital B word of a ex must have intentionally chosen this month to put him in a bind. He made the right choice, but it stinks from her end IMO.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,841

Post#57 » by JasonStern » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:32 pm

I'm not sure that's really the case, BlazersBroncos. This visitation month could have been decided well before the plan to restart the season was formalized. July isn't exactly a typical time for NBA basketball, but it is a time where most kids are away from school for summer vacation.

Read on Twitter

Bring back Crabbe..?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#58 » by d-train » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:28 pm

mighty_duck wrote: Who's available?

Anthony Tolliver
Allen Crabbe
David Nwaba
C.J. Miles
Gerald Green
J.R. Smith
Iman Shumpert
Shaun Livingston
Corey Brewer
Dante Cunningham

I would take a flyer on David Nwaba. Crabbe and Miles can score, but I believe Nwaba might be the best combination of defender/open shot maker. Other than Anthony Tolliver, it's not exactly an inspiring list. I looked for Evan Turner, but as far as I could tell he is not a free agent.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#59 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:08 am

I actually was hoping for Brewer but that ship has sailed.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#60 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:39 am

Let's wait and see who else chooses to opt out of playing for its likely Melo won't play

Return to Portland Trail Blazers