ImageImage

2020 free agent targets and draft picks

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#181 » by GEE » Mon May 25, 2020 8:23 am

I could definitely get behind a trade like this. CJ for a package of AG and Ross would be great for our team. I'd do it, even if the pick and other player weren't included. Our lineup could look like this:

Dame / Simons
Hood / Trent
AG / Ross
Collins
Nurkic / Whiteside

That's alot of firepower! We would still have our FRP, SRP, Little and Wenyen. Use the MLE on another big? Holy Crap, I really like this!
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#182 » by Goldbum » Sun May 31, 2020 6:32 pm

What do you guys think of Grant Riller? Seems to have a bit of Baby Dame to his game. The stepien has a great write up on the small school baller and he seems like N.O. type guy.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#183 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun May 31, 2020 7:15 pm

Goldbum wrote:What do you guys think of Grant Riller? Seems to have a bit of Baby Dame to his game. The stepien has a great write up on the small school baller and he seems like N.O. type guy.

I'm not buying him as a lead guard really. 3.9 assists to 3.1 turnovers... 36% from 3. That is like newborn infant level Dame.

If he is there at #44 that would be one thing, but I cannot see taking him anywhere near #14.

Edit: I'm probably being too harsh on him, he could have a solid career as a spark plug type guard off the bench, which I'm sure a lot of people said about Damian too.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#184 » by Goldbum » Mon Jun 1, 2020 12:38 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Goldbum wrote:What do you guys think of Grant Riller? Seems to have a bit of Baby Dame to his game. The stepien has a great write up on the small school baller and he seems like N.O. type guy.

I'm not buying him as a lead guard really. 3.9 assists to 3.1 turnovers... 36% from 3. That is like newborn infant level Dame.

If he is there at #44 that would be one thing, but I cannot see taking him anywhere near #14.

Edit: I'm probably being too harsh on him, he could have a solid career as a spark plug type guard off the bench, which I'm sure a lot of people said about Damian too.

I was thinking at #44. I live in SLC and saw Dame a ton at Weber State, heading into the draft most people here weren't sure he could be a full time NBA PG. George Hill was a popular comparison. We all knew he could play but what position was up in the air. Riller is physical enough I can see him pairing nicely with Ant in the second unit.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GEE
Starter

Post#185 » by GEE » Mon Jun 1, 2020 3:36 am

I really like the depth of guards we have in Dame, CJ, Trent, Simons, and Little. A 3rd string PG would be a great use of #44. With that, I really want Pritchard and would not pass on him if he's still there at #44. I might even consider dealing a little on draft day, if that's what it took. Just love his game and attitude, and think he'd fit right in.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#186 » by Goldbum » Mon Jun 1, 2020 4:13 am

It may have already been brought up, but what would you guys think about throwing the entire mid-level at Christian Wood? I could see a Nurkic/Collins/Wood rotation at the 4 and 5 being near elite.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#187 » by Village Idiot » Mon Jun 1, 2020 5:54 am

Goldbum wrote:It may have already been brought up, but what would you guys think about throwing the entire mid-level at Christian Wood? I could see a Nurkic/Collins/Wood rotation at the 4 and 5 being near elite.

Wood certainly has the talent but apparently character issues held him back until this season. Would love to sign him but both Detroit and the Knicks should easily be able to offer him more than the MLE.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#188 » by d-train » Mon Jun 1, 2020 5:17 pm

Blazers might waive Ariza to avoid guaranteeing him $11M for 20-21, which is too much to pay Ariza (at 35) in a tight market. If we do waive Ariza, our MLE might be used up resigning Ariza and Melo.
GEE
Starter

Post#189 » by GEE » Mon Jun 8, 2020 3:46 am

I was just thinking about our draft picks, and that we should absolutely consider packaging them. Here's why:

We are in Dame's prime. Assuming we were willing and able to resign Whiteside, Ariza and Melo - to discount deals for the sake of a title shot - what more would we really need to add?

Let's assume Whiteside gets the same/similar contract as Nurkic, and Ariza and Melo use up the MLE & BAE. Where would that leave us financially? Is that doable considering Dame being in his prime? It would in my opinion, make us major contenders for the title. We would have, assuming all are healthy:

Dame/Simons
CJ/Trent/Little
Ariza/Hood
Collins/Melo/Gabriel?
Nurkic/Whiteside/Brown?

I don't see a need to add any more youth to this squad. Maybe someone can explain to we how we could, or could not do this. If the above is possible, that squad looks like a force to me. I would like to know how we could use our FRP, SRP and/or TPE, and Mario maybe, to add a little veteran depth. I really feel we should package all these remaining assets, and add just one more legit talent. Not sure how though.

I think our playoff window is WIDE OPEN, so rookie draft picks, which I normally love building with, do little for me this year. Bring em' all back, except Mario, and add just one more good veteran player. We can always find a 3rd string PG on a moments notice if we had a need, so I don't really care about that part.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#190 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jun 8, 2020 4:23 pm

I would love to package our picks for an upgrade at SF but several things make that unlikely in my opinion.

First, we are pretty limited in what salary we can bring back. If we include Ariza and Hood to take back bigger salaries that just further depletes our SF position so we would need an even bigger upgrade there to justify it.

Secondly, our pick in this draft just isn't really worth a ton.

Looking around the league there are just not that many clear upgrades at a salary level that is feasible for us. Most of the options in our salary and value ranges are under-performing young guys, which is about the same as what we would be looking at in the draft.

Just for fun here are some names to think about but I figure most if not all are unavailable for the assets we would offer.
Tauren Prince
Duncan Robinson
Cedi Osman
TJ Warren
Terrance Ross
Will Barton
Kyle Anderson
Kelly Oubre
d-train
RealGM

Post#191 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:31 pm

Blazers are in good shape as far as staying under the tax and keeping our player's. Some teams are not and might have to let a player go.

Nuggets, for example. have 4 free agents (Millsap, Plumlee, Grant, and Craig) that are going to be considerably more expensive to re-sign than Blazers 3 free agents. Basically, every dollar Nuggets pay to Craig is going to be a luxury taxed dollar. Nuggets might let a quality RFA walk.

I like the idea of keeping Ariza at a reduced price after waiving him. I also like alternative replacements, such as Torrey Craig.
d-train
RealGM

Post#192 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:59 pm

Generally, it's a lucky break for teams that have free agents this offseason. Nice break for Blazers to have 3 free agents. None of Blazers free agents are top-tier high demand players or promising young players that are typically overpaid. A nice opportunity (hopefully) to lock-in some players on team friendly contracts.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#193 » by Goldbum » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:18 pm

T.Craig is listed as 6'7" and a SF some places. I really like his game. Do you guys think he's attainable at a decent price? Seems like a perfect fit as a sort of "glue guy" next to Dame/CJ/Collins/Nurkic...
P.S. I've also seen him written up as a SG and a PG...
d-train
RealGM

Post#194 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:19 pm

In addition to Torrey Craig. I really like Josh Richardson. Sixers might need to trim some salary.

I would trade either Ariza or Hood for Richardson. I consider Richardson an upgrade to both players. Hood is a better offensive player but Richardson is a competitor and a decent enough shooter. Richardson and Ariza are similar, but Richardson is younger and better on offense.
d-train
RealGM

Post#195 » by d-train » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:30 pm

Goldbum wrote:T.Craig is listed as 6'7" and a SF some places. I really like his game. Do you guys think he's attainable at a decent price? Seems like a perfect fit as a sort of "glue guy" next to Dame/CJ/Collins/Nurkic...

He's a RFA, so Nuggets are in control. It's a question of how much are Nuggets willing to pay to keep a player with a shrinking role on their team. Someone is going to pay him.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#196 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:53 pm

T.Craig is listed as 6'7" and a SF some places. I really like his game. Do you guys think he's attainable at a decent price? Seems like a perfect fit as a sort of "glue guy" next to Dame/CJ/Collins/Nurkic...

Craig is as much a SG and PG as Nassir is IMHO. He has age, but considering their games I would take old man Ariza. Assuming we intent to roll with 48 minutes of Nurkic and Hassan, I want spacers on the floor as much as possible. Craig is a 33% 3PT guy (0.7 / 2.2) while Ariza has shot 50% (1.6 / 4.0). Considering that Craig is 29, I don't think he will ever get to that reliable 3PT shooter archetype.

I would stick with Ariza and cross my fingers that Nassir develops if we are stuck with Craig level talents as SF replacements.

It may have already been brought up, but what would you guys think about throwing the entire mid-level at Christian Wood? I could see a Nurkic/Collins/Wood rotation at the 4 and 5 being near elite.

With how poor this FA market is, its all but guaranteed that Wood gets more than the MLE. He is one of the few modern-style bigs at a reasonable age that is a UFA.

What do you guys think of Grant Riller? Seems to have a bit of Baby Dame to his game. The stepien has a great write up on the small school baller and he seems like N.O. type guy.

Maybe at 44, but for a guy who isnt a floor general PG he really isnt a floor space either. He has averaged 1.4 made 3PT shots from the college arc at 35%. That's worse than pedestrian for someone with his usage. Dame averaged 2.4 at neat 40% while consistently making them from NBA range, even off pullups at times. IMO there are lots of guys that present better options at 44. I prefer both the KU guards (Quickley + Hagans), Tre Jones cant shoot but at least has the speciality skillset of being a pesky end to end defender, Malachi Flynn is a guy that shoots and passes better than Riller IMHO. If Pritchard had even average athleticism he would be the clear pick but I think despite his deadeye shot he just isn't going to have the footspeed to not be a huge liability at all times on defense.

I am warming to Nesmith at 14, I think he can be a Allen Houston level guy but am tepid he is big enough for SF. Nesmith has averaged near 1 SPG + 1 BPG which is a significant indicator that he does have the athleticism to play at a high level in the NBA IMO. Imagining three shooters of Dame, CJ and Nesmiths caliber is very tempting. And elite shooters generally translate to at least a modicum of immediate impact, something we should be looking for with Lillard in his prime.

Patrick Williams is the ideal Mo Harkl like phyiscal profile SF but he may be a year away from being a year away, much like Nassir. Arguably too much like Nassir.

Gun to my head I am hoping for Nesmith at 14 and Pokusevski at 44. I like the gamble on the unique, high bust potential big at 44.

G - Damian Lillard (34) / Anfernee Simons (14)
G - CJ McCollum (32) / Gary Trent Jr (12) / Anfernee Simons (4)
F - Trevor Ariza (20) / Aaron Nesmith (20) / Gary Trent Jr (8)
F - Zach Collins (28) / Carmelo Anthony (20)
C - Jusuf Nurkic (24) / Hassan Whiteside (24)

Deep Bench - Nassir Little F / Alexi Pokusevski FC / Vet Backup PG / Vet 6 Fouls Big FC

If you believe that Nesmith can be a 16+ PPG guy, that's a intriguing roster.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#197 » by No-Man » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:49 pm

thinking that Riller or Pokusevski would be available at 44th it's pretty ridiculous
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#198 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:04 pm

thinking that Riller or Pokusevski would be available at 44th it's pretty ridiculous

I have had Poku as a R1 for a while, didnt read the board for 2 months and realize that he has gained steam as a lock for R1. After visiting the draft forum, its pretty clear that hoping for him at 44 is indeed ridiclous.

As for Riller, I see no reason for him to be even a top 50 pick. I see a volume scorer that isnt a great shooter. He gets to the line / rim using craft but against NBA competition you need craft and athleticism, which I just dont see. He isnt young, he isnt a good passer, he isnt helping the team in ways that dont involve on ball usage (defense, off ball movement, spotup shooting, etc). I see nothing unique or especially impressive about him.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#199 » by Goldbum » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:52 pm

I believe Riller is a better shooter, athlete and floor general than you give him credit for. Again not saying he's an option at #14 but at #44 he makes more than a lot of sense in my opinion. I could agree with you if our evaluations on him was the same but I just think he's a better player than you do.
B0naf1d3
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#200 » by B0naf1d3 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:48 am

I like Saddiq Bey as a safe pick and Patrick Williams as an upside pick at 14. Bey could probably start next year at the 3 in a pinch if Ariza isn't brought back. Actually reminds me a bit of Ariza and guys like Covington. Williams is raw, but arguably has as much potential as anyone in the draft. A lot of similarities to Vonleh as a prospect (more of a 3/4 than 4/5), but potential always sells.

Free agency is tough. Whiteside, Melo, and Ariza decisions.

I'm not a Whiteside believer, but with Nurk's injury history, and the Blazers financial situation, he's almost a sure bet to be back next year. Hopefully on a short term deal in the $10 million range. Maybe you get him cheaper with the cap situation in flux. I'd much rather have a M. Gasol, or Baynes but bird rights on Whiteside keeps some flexibility.

Melo is 50/50 at this point. He either goes to a big market, or he accepts a scoring bench role with the Blazers and signs for vet min/BAE. He has said great things about his time here, and at this point he probably understands that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Ariza at $12 million is steep. You risk the chance he walks if you decline his option, but I think you do it. Drafting a guy like Saddiq Bey would help.

Depending on what happens to Whiteside/Melo/Ariza, you need to target guys that can be in a 8 man rotation ready to compete for a championship; Marc Gasol/Aaron Baynes/Derrick Favors/Morris Twins/Jerami Grant/Dario Saric/Jae Crowder. Blazers don't have much luck in free agency, but it just takes one guy to say yes.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers