NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#161 » by youngWizzy » Sun May 24, 2020 9:59 pm

Hey guys, I just added a new feature to my site that let's you compare two prospects side by side here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/compare

Probably one of the cooler tools I've added.

I also added age as a method for comparing players for per40 and advanced stats which a lot of you requested! You can also choose to add manual measurements on the site as well as pick and choose which measurements you would like to compare physical measurements for players. Also similarity scores for comparisons are on the site as well!

If you don't mind checking it out that'd be amazing!!!!

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#162 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:01 am

Well, I think I have my top three for where the Jazz are currently, and I think at least one of them will be available.

1. Paul Reed
2. Grant Riller
3. Leandro Bolmaro

If you told me that one of Riller/Reed becomes the best player from the draft in 5 years, I would not be surprised.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#163 » by Catchall » Wed May 27, 2020 12:39 am

babyjax13 wrote:Well, I think I have my top three for where the Jazz are currently, and I think at least one of them will be available.

1. Paul Reed
2. Grant Riller
3. Leandro Bolmaro

If you told me that one of Riller/Reed becomes the best player from the draft in 5 years, I would not be surprised.

If the Jazz can help Paul Reed become a 36% 3-pt shooter, he offers just about everything else. He guards 4 or possibly 5 positions, can guard the best wings in the league, can possibly play a small-ball center, plays hard and brings intangibles. His upside is comparable to Draymond Green, but he's got to shoot the ball at some threshold.

I don't know what to think about Riller. Why weren't people talking about him before he was 23?

Bolmaro isn't far away from a 6'7" Ricky Rubio who could be a primary initiator in Quin's system. Like Rubio, the question is what he can do when he's off the ball. He moves well and spots up, but he's got to knock down his looks. I'm still excited about him.

I also like Aleksey Pokusevski, though it's starting to look like he'll go ahead of us.

I think the Jazz are keeping an eye on Theo Maledon, Josh Green and Jaden McDaniels who could possibly slip to our range.

Also, if Vernon Carey could get leaner and a bit quicker, he'd be comparable to Bam Adebayo. He's a beast with soft hands and pretty good mobility. I wonder if a team could help him with his athleticism. Otherwise, it's too bad he doesn't have another 3 or so inches in length.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#164 » by Catchall » Wed May 27, 2020 12:54 am

If Pokusevski and Williams are off the board, I think I'd draft:

1. McDaniels
2. Maledon
3. Bolmaro

This is contingent on McDaniels doing well in interviews and his background check showing that he's a hard worker. There's a mental toughness question with him. But I think part of his problem was that Washington wasn't a great team and wasn't well coached.

I'm okay with Reed, but I think he's basically going to have a career like Jamychal Green unless he finds himself in the perfect situation like Draymond did--spaced floor, free-flowing offense with a ton of ball movement.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#165 » by Catchall » Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 pm

If Saddiq Bey drops to #19 or #20, I could see the Jazz offering #24 + Tucker or two 2nds to move up and take him. Maybe they'd do the same for Poku.

Otherwise, the Jazz can stay where they are and get Maldeon, Green, McDaniels, Reed, Bolmaro, etc.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#166 » by Catchall » Thu May 28, 2020 7:05 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Well, I think I have my top three for where the Jazz are currently, and I think at least one of them will be available.

1. Paul Reed
2. Grant Riller
3. Leandro Bolmaro

If the Jazz think they can fix Paul Reed's jump shot and improve whatever ball skills he has, then I can see the appeal. He'd be like Josh Smith, but without the stupid. Problem is, right now that shot is pretty broken if you want him to shoot 3s.

So either you draft McDaniels and bet you can improve his body and mental toughness, or you draft Reed and bet you can improve his jumper and unlock whatever ball skills he has. Either way, you get a 6'9" / 220-lb, two-way combo forward with a 7'+ wingspan.

Or... you try to trade up and draft Patrick Williams.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#167 » by a-French-Fan » Fri May 29, 2020 12:09 pm

I read that some of you would draft Poku or Malédon at #24 ... Well, if one of both is still available you make a steal again!
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
Catchall
RealGM

Post#168 » by Catchall » Sat May 30, 2020 6:00 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:I read that some of you would draft Poku or Malédon at #24 ... Well, if one of both is still available you make a steal again!

I would draft Poku or Theo. I also like Bolmaro and would do a serious background check on McDaniels.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#169 » by a-French-Fan » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:19 am

Catchall wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:I read that some of you would draft Poku or Malédon at #24 ... Well, if one of both is still available you make a steal again!

I would draft Poku or Theo. I also like Bolmaro and would do a serious background check on McDaniels.

Poku is more that you need for 2020-2021 season.

Malédon ... you increase Gobert's probability to stay at 2021 free agency, and personnaly if this connection could work three years before 2024 Paris olympics games, I'd really like. So if Jazz think Gobert would stay after free agency, more thant we may expect from Mitchell, Malédon would be a very good choice. Moreover, Malédon is a very good choice after pick #15 for any team, even maybe a steal.

Bolmaro ... he could be the new Ginobili like the new Mario Hezonja. In a hand he played for a great Euroleague team, in the other one he didn't play so much... But except Luka Doncic, no prospect plays in starting five of a top Euroleague team.

I don't believe Poku and Malédon would be available for the Jazz pick, maybe Bolmaro could be.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Catchall
RealGM

Post#170 » by Catchall » Tue Jun 2, 2020 3:50 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Malédon ... you increase Gobert's probability to stay at 2021 free agency, and personnaly if this connection could work three years before 2024 Paris olympics games, I'd really like. So if Jazz think Gobert would stay after free agency, more thant we may expect from Mitchell, Malédon would be a very good choice. Moreover, Malédon is a very good choice after pick #15 for any team, even maybe a steal.

Bolmaro ... he could be the new Ginobili like the new Mario Hezonja. In a hand he played for a great Euroleague team, in the other one he didn't play so much... But except Luka Doncic, no prospect plays in starting five of a top Euroleague team.

I don't believe Poku and Malédon would be available for the Jazz pick, maybe Bolmaro could be.

I think the Jazz will lose a few games when play resumes, and they'll move 2 or 3 spots up the draft order (past Miami and OKC). There's no homecourt advantage to compete for, and they'll have to experiment with lineups without Bogdanovic. If they're drafting at 21 or 22, I think they have a good shot at Maledon, and they could possibly trade up to #17 or #18 if Poku is available.

The player I've been comparing Poku to is Keith Van Horn, an American player I saw play in college at around the same age. Poku might be even better, given his size and his ability to handle.

Maledon is a fine player. He isn't explosive athletically, but he's smart, works hard, and understands the game at a high level for being so young. Regarding Gobert, due to the league's financial situation, I think there will only be one or two other winning teams who can offer him a max deal. I think he wants to win more than anything else. He already has individual awards. If the Jazz can add one more significant player to complement Mitchell, Gobert and Bogdanovic, I think Gobert will stay with the Jazz.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#171 » by a-French-Fan » Tue Jun 2, 2020 4:01 pm

Catchall wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:
Catchall wrote:

I think the Jazz will lose a few games when play resumes, and they'll move 2 or 3 spots up the draft order (past Miami and OKC). There's no homecourt advantage to compete for, and they'll have to experiment with lineups without Bogdanovic. If they're drafting at 21 or 22, I think they have a good shot at Maledon, and they could possibly trade up to #17 or #18 if Poku is available.

The player I've been comparing Poku to is Keith Van Horn, an American player I saw play in college at around the same age. Poku might be even better, given his size and his ability to handle.

Maledon is a fine player. He isn't explosive athletically, but he's smart, works hard, and understands the game at a high level for being so young. Regarding Gobert, due to the league's financial situation, I think there will only be one or two other winning teams who can offer him a max deal. I think he wants to win more than anything else. He already has individual awards. If the Jazz can add one more significant player to complement Mitchell, Gobert and Bogdanovic, I think Gobert will stay with the Jazz.

I don't think Gobert will be seeking for the best contract. He wants a title. And in 2024 olympics medal goal, if you bring him a PG of his national team, it should account a lot. But is the Jazz able to keep Mitchell? Are Gobert and Mitchell willing to play together again for a long time? In other words: Is the Jazz able to build a winning team in 2021 After all those contracts ending?

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Catchall
RealGM

Post#172 » by Catchall » Tue Jun 2, 2020 4:14 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
Catchall wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:

I don't think Gobert will be seeking for the best contract. He wants a title. And in 2024 olympics medal goal, if you bring him a PG of his national team, it should account a lot. But is the Jazz able to keep Mitchell? Are Gobert and Mitchell willing to play together again for a long time? In other words: Is the Jazz able to build a winning team in 2021 After all those contracts ending?

The Jazz will give Mitchell a max extension, and he'll be with the Jazz 4 more years after the 20-21 season. Mitchell is still improving, and the Jazz will make him the point guard going forward. If the Jazz have Mitchell/Gobert/Bogdanovic, they'll win around 55 games and be competitive. They need one more significant player to get to 60 wins though, and Conley isn't it. They need an athletic forward with some size and length.

It's a fair question to ask if Mitchell and Gobert really complement one another well. If Gobert leaves the Jazz, one team he could join would be Dallas, where he could play screen/roll with Doncic. This is one reason why Bolmaro could be a good pick for the Jazz. The Jazz really like full-sized wings who can create in pick-and-roll, and this is the type of player who can maximize Gobert. Bolmaro can do this, just as Ingles and Hayward have done up until now. I don't see Bolmaro as a Manu-type player, but rather a hybrid between Ricky Rubio and Gordon Hayward. He could be a unique and valuable player if he can play at a high enough level.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#173 » by Catchall » Thu Jun 4, 2020 12:53 am

1. Paul Reed
2. Grant Riller
3. Leandro Bolmaro

I think Reed becomes really interesting if he can play significant minutes at the 5. His footspeed, mobility and skill level at that position could be a game changer. He could also pick and pop from around 18 - 20 feet where he already has comfortable shooting range. The test will be if he can hold his own in the post and on the boards. He's probably going to need to get up to just over 230 lbs. I'm very curious to see his measurements, as he could be comparable size-wise to Richaun Holmes and Marvin Bagley.

I have Bolmaro ahead of Grant Riller. Bolmaro should be shifty and crafty enough to take guys off the dribble, especially if he gets help from a screen. I also think his shot will be fine and he'll make a good enough percentage of his spot-ups. I think he can become a legit triple-threat player. I also love his non-stop hustle and tenacity to go with his measurables and ball skills. I'd take him ahead of Josh Green.

I'm not convinced that Riller is really quick enough to be a bonafide starter, but I think he could come off the bench and get some buckets, like Jordan Clarkson and Terrence Ross do.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#174 » by Catchall » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:56 pm

I went back and watched footage from the Nike Hoop Summit 2 years ago when Bolmaro played for the World Team. He was 17. Bolmaro reportedly shot the ball well in practices and also shot well in the game. At the time, people thought his shooting was one of his strengths. That's why you can still find scouting reports that say he's a good shooter.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#175 » by Catchall » Fri Jun 5, 2020 6:48 am

If the Jazz have the ability to trade up into the 13-15 range for RJ Hampton, I could see them pulling the trigger.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#176 » by babyjax13 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 8:15 pm

Catchall wrote:If the Jazz have the ability to trade up into the 13-15 range for RJ Hampton, I could see them pulling the trigger.

I would do that. Hampton just looks like an NBA player in the way he moves.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#177 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 8, 2020 4:42 am

Theo Maledon is getting a bit underrated in draft discussions. I could see the Jazz pick him to play next to Mitchell as a guy who can play both on and off the ball.

Jazz are going to be tempted by Maledon as well as Bolmaro, Green and Reed.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#178 » by Catchall » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:30 am

If you were to ask me which of the following bigs could play effective minutes at the 4, with the options being Isaiah Stewart, Precious Achiuwa, Vernon Carey, Jalen Smith and Reggie Perry, I think the answer would be Perry.

He's 6'9" 250 lbs., 7'+ wingspan, and seems to have enough handle, body control, passing ability and shooting touch that he might be able to play meaningful minutes at the 4. The only question would be his ability to guard switches, but I think he can do that better than Carey and Smith at a minimum.

I'm going through his stats and some of his tape, and he looks like he could be a value-pick version of Al Horford. At a minimum, his SEC stats as a sophomore easily compare with Grant Williams. His NBA Combine athleticism numbers from last year eclipse Williams' as well.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#179 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:32 pm

Catchall wrote:If you were to ask me which of the following bigs could play effective minutes at the 4, with the options being Isaiah Stewart, Precious Achiuwa, Vernon Carey, Jalen Smith and Reggie Perry, I think the answer would be Perry.

He's 6'9" 250 lbs., 7'+ wingspan, and seems to have enough handle, body control, passing ability and shooting touch that he might be able to play meaningful minutes at the 4. The only question would be his ability to guard switches, but I think he can do that better than Carey and Smith at a minimum.

I'm going through his stats and some of his tape, and he looks like he could be a value-pick version of Al Horford. At a minimum, his SEC stats as a sophomore easily compare with Grant Williams. His NBA Combine athleticism numbers from last year eclipse Williams' as well.

I completely agree that out of that group Perry is the one worth picking. Achiuwa could be a nice energy big, but that's about it - and we don't need that. Carey will be the worst defender in the league, and I have serious questions about the athleticism of Stewart and Smith, and whether Smith's shooting is enough to make him a plus player.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#180 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:51 pm

Revising my board a bit for our spot:
1. Tyrell Terry
2. Paul Reed
3. Leandro Bolmaro
4. Grant Riller
5. Jaden McDaniels

I'm betting one of these four becomes one of the steals of the draft.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz