Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#161 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:43 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
lol...how is Bol a bust?

also Bol has pretty ridiculous body control for a guy his size, not sure what ur talking about there

I literally never called Bol a bust and said I think he has rotation center upside.

I reread my own post like 3 times to make sure, your making me feel crazy now.

I also think that Milwaukee and SAS are the best options. His floor spacing and potential ability to make a your-turn-then-mine PnR duo with Giannis would be straight up special. I also like his straight-line speed for those quick, long striding fast breaks that they get out and run with Freak. As for SAS, well its SAS and they just know how to develop Euros.

Wish he would be an option for Portland, but I don't think we have the balls to make such a risky, potentially not-NBA-ready pick with Dame in his prime. Which is a pity because hitting on a high upside guy like this is the only way we get out of pretender status.

you didn't say this?

Other end of the spectrum, he is clearly in the mold of many twigy bigs who have busted (Thon, Bol, Bender).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#162 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Boston should have gone with Goga at 14

i actually think Goga is a better prospect than Poku and he dropped to 18
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#163 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:25 pm

clyde21 wrote:Boston should have gone with Goga at 14

i actually think Goga is a better prospect than Poku and he dropped to 18

Will definitely be interesting to see how Romeo pans out compared to others.

Stevens' system really prioritizes multiple ball handlers. You'll notice he's never had a "true PG". He would prefer it if all 5 guys could handle the ball which is why Horford fit so well at center. But really at a MINIMUM, he'd prefer his PG/SG/SF/PF all be able to handle the ball on the perimeter. Because of that, I think they put a special premium on people who can handle the ball but defend up a spot. Smart is a good P&R ball handler and can defend 1-4. Rozier was a PG with the length to play in 2 guard lineups. Brown can defend 1-4. Tatum can defend at the 4 spot, Hayward (FA not draft pick) . Olynyk was a guy who can handle the ball on the perimeter well for a 5. Horford as a FA target fit that mold as well. Grant Williams is a good passer as another guy they took last year. It's really important ot be able to run offensive sets from the perimeter for Stevens regardless of what position you line up at. Romeo was another guy who projects to that from the SG and SF spot.

If a player can handle the ball and run offensive sets but line up as a SG/SF/PF or even C then there's a good chance you're on the Celtics draft board because those type of guys are the engine that makes Stevens' schemes work. That's why I'm so intrigued by Poku for Boston because he seems to project to be someone who can handle the ball from the PF or even C spot. He'd be a good fit in that sense.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#164 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:32 pm

wasn't a dig against Romeo, just think they should've gone Goga, better schematic and personnel fit, also was a better prospect, also Boston has more minutes to give at the 5 than at G

Romeo has to compete for minutes with Kemba, Brown, Smart and two other young guys in Edwards and Waters, at C it's pretty much just Thies and Bob
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,806

Post#165 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:42 pm

you didn't say this?

Whoops, I stand corrected. That was my mistake.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,192

Post#166 » by Catchall » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:30 pm

EvanZ wrote:Boston seems to love football players.

*Houston
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,781

Post#167 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:38 pm

Fischella wrote:Not sure why it'd be unlikely with Poku

Considering he consistently gets bullied by bigs in the Greek second division and is 205 soaking wet, he is going to be a pretty massive developmental project. If you have faith in your strength/conditioning staff and believe he has the necessary drive to tack on 20-40 pounds of mass, then it is a reasonable swing for the fences. It's going to take a ton of commitment from both parties for him to reach his high end, and a dumb team drafting him too high could derail him.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#168 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:40 pm

RiotPunch wrote:

Considering he consistently gets bullied by bigs in the Greek second division and is 205 soaking wet, he is going to be a pretty massive developmental project. If you have faith in your strength/conditioning staff and believe he has the necessary drive to tack on 20-40 pounds of mass, then it is a reasonable swing for the fences. It's going to take a ton of commitment from both parties for him to reach his high end, and a dumb team drafting him too high could derail him.

Not to mention he already has trouble getting in and out of cuts on the defensive side. Doesn’t have much side to side shake on offensive end either. Pretty much a straight line driver which works okay when you are 7-ft. I think he’s going to pick up a lot of offensive fouls due to that.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#169 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:50 pm

getrichordie wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:

Not to mention he already has trouble getting in and out of cuts on the defensive side. Doesn’t have much side to side shake on offensive end either. Pretty much a straight line driver which works okay when you are 7-ft. I think he’s going to pick up a lot of offensive fouls due to that.

That's why it's necessary for him to learn under Giannis. :nod:

Greek Gyro-Step bros.
#FreeChuckDiesel
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#170 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:54 am

clyde21 wrote:wasn't a dig against Romeo, just think they should've gone Goga, better schematic and personnel fit, also was a better prospect, also Boston has more minutes to give at the 5 than at G

Romeo has to compete for minutes with Kemba, Brown, Smart and two other young guys in Edwards and Waters, at C it's pretty much just Thies and Bob

The center rotation of Theis/Kanter/Bob has actually been good, it's wing scoring off the bench that's been terrible. So hoping Romeo can make a year 2 leap. A long term big certainly would have been nice too though. Ultimately I just hope we end up at least getting a good player. Can sort out positional needs later with veteran FA signings as needed. Just gotta keep some talent coming in the door!

But I was really bringing Langford up in regards Pokusevski. He serves as evidence of a few relevant parts of their historical draft preferences that impact Pkusevski. History shows that they don't rely on rookies to play right away so I don't think that his need to develop would scare them off. They also historically place a very high value on players who can handle the ball from non-PG positions and he seems to fit that mold as a ball handling 4. I think in those regards this would be a good fit for them so it's a pick I'm on the lookout for if he's there at 17, even if traditionally they haven't gone for international guys much.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#171 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:55 am

RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Considering he consistently gets bullied by bigs in the Greek second division and is 205 soaking wet, he is going to be a pretty massive developmental project. If you have faith in your strength/conditioning staff and believe he has the necessary drive to tack on 20-40 pounds of mass, then it is a reasonable swing for the fences. It's going to take a ton of commitment from both parties for him to reach his high end, and a dumb team drafting him too high could derail him.

Greek Gyro-Step bros.

Could also be a possible Giannis replacement :D
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#172 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:57 am

hugepatsfan wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Greek Gyro-Step bros.

Poku is nowhere near the athlete Giannis was, but Giannis was nowhere near the shooter/passer Poku is.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#173 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:15 am

hugepatsfan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:wasn't a dig against Romeo, just think they should've gone Goga, better schematic and personnel fit, also was a better prospect, also Boston has more minutes to give at the 5 than at G

The center rotation of Theis/Kanter/Bob has actually been good, it's wing scoring off the bench that's been terrible. So hoping Romeo can make a year 2 leap. A long term big certainly would have been nice too though. Ultimately I just hope we end up at least getting a good player. Can sort out positional needs later with veteran FA signings as needed. Just gotta keep some talent coming in the door!

But I was really bringing Langford up in regards Pokusevski. He serves as evidence of a few relevant parts of their historical draft preferences that impact Pkusevski. History shows that they don't rely on rookies to play right away so I don't think that his need to develop would scare them off. They also historically place a very high value on players who can handle the ball from non-PG positions and he seems to fit that mold as a ball handling 4. I think in those regards this would be a good fit for them so it's a pick I'm on the lookout for if he's there at 17, even if traditionally they haven't gone for international guys much.

you're not some bottom feeder team tho just looking to add talent, at this point you need to be more specific and direct with the draft picks because you need guys that can contribute in your next few playoff runs.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#174 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:37 am

getrichordie wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:That's why it's necessary for him to learn under Giannis. :nod:

Greek Gyro-Step bros.

Poku is nowhere near the athlete Giannis was, but Giannis was nowhere near the shooter/passer Poku is.

I mean...
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#175 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:39 am

EvanZ wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

I mean...

So original
[twitter] @thunderdustin
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#176 » by RiotPunch » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:37 am

hugepatsfan wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Greek Gyro-Step bros.

Yeah, no.
#FreeChuckDiesel
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#177 » by No-Man » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:33 am

RiotPunch wrote:

bigs are big in Europe, bigger than in the NBA generally, he is also the youngest prospect in the class doesn't turn 19 til almost the end of the year man, he needs work physically, like every guy his age but has the required athleticism and his body frame has already improved over last year

I don't think he is a swing for the fences whatsoever and his bball acumen is there to be useful as a player already

Pokusevski rotations for his size/age are excellent on defense
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#178 » by RiotPunch » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:48 am

Fischella wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:

bigs are big in Europe, bigger than in the NBA generally, he is also the youngest prospect in the class doesn't turn 19 til almost the end of the year man, he needs work physically, like every guy his age but has the required athleticism and his body frame has already improved over last year

I don't think he is a swing for the fences whatsoever and his bball acumen is there to be useful as a player already

Pokusevski rotations for his size/age are excellent on defense

Bigs are bigger in the Greek second division than in the NBA? Not sure about that. But even so, I totally buy the skill-set and athleticism. I'm just saying he likely has a long way to go developmentally before he sees an NBA floor for meaningful minutes. Age Is on his side, that is good news. Listen, I have him as a lottery pick, I like him a lot, but I also acknowledge it will be a tough road for him to get to where he needs to be physically to hang in the Association, especially if he gets thrust into a bad developmental situation.
#FreeChuckDiesel
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#179 » by No-Man » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:11 am

I totally disagree, on the right team he can be a solid piece as a 9th-10th man right away next year
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#180 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:13 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Greek Gyro-Step bros.

I can see a big Boston/Milwaukee rivalry coming. :) Assuming the draft order stays the same, if Poku's there at 17, Bucks fans will be begging the Celtics to pass on him. Stevens could be a great coach for him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to NBA Draft