ImageImageImageImageImage

Who should be signed given the one remaining roster spot?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Who should be signed given the one remaining roster spot? 

Post#1 » by WallToWall » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:51 am

When play resumes, the Wizards will be able to fill the open spot that they have. Who should the Wizards go after?
Is DeMarcus Cousins someone to target? Other names to go after? What positions are ones we should try to fill?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Who should be signed given the one remaining roster spot? 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:24 pm

I didn't even realize they had an open roster spot. If it was me, I'd try to sign Justin Patton - off the Wisconsin Herd. I'm pretty sure the Bucks don't have his NBA rights.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#3 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:43 pm

What open roster spot? We have Wall, Beal, Bertans, Mahinmi, Bryant, Smith, Hachimura, Robinson, Brown, Wagner, Bonga, Napier, Schofield, Pasecniks & Payton -- that's 15, & all with guaranteed contracts this season.

Have we waived one of Pasecniks or Payton?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#4 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:33 am

Is John Wall going to play?
Bye bye Beal.
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#5 » by WallToWall » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:17 pm

you're right. I miscounted - I didnt count Payton. We dont have an open spot right now. I wish we did though. Perhaps this should ask, who should we sign if we had an open spot?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#6 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:33 pm

Well, we could waive Payton -- wouldn't cost much, & he'd likely still be available to sign for next year if we wanted to.

& sure we can ask whom we'd like to add were we able to add someone -- but... why would we do that? Or, to put that a little differently, why do you "wish that we did" have an open roster spot?

Above all, why DeMarcus Cousins? At this point in his career....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#7 » by pancakes3 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:00 pm

I still believe in Boogie and would take him over Mahimi easy
Bullets -> Wizards
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#8 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:12 pm

Boogie. Why the heck not.

These 8 games should be seen as borrowed time. Try new shxt. Play a lineup of Wall, Beal, Brown, Bertans and Boogie
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:I didn't even realize they had an open roster spot. If it was me, I'd try to sign Justin Patton - off the Wisconsin Herd. I'm pretty sure the Bucks don't have his NBA rights.

Detroit heard me. They just signed Patton to an NBA contract. Same team that signed Wood. But I don't know if they signed him past this season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#10 » by WallToWall » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:58 am

Didnt expect a roster spot to open up because Bertans would decide not to continue. Jerian Grant...hmm, well...
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#11 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:24 pm

boogie train full steam
Bullets -> Wizards
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#12 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:20 pm

Yeah we get a replacement spot since Davis is sitting out. Grant is nice I wonder if we are gonna loose anyone else ? Will wall change his mind ?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 am

Ruzious wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I didn't even realize they had an open roster spot. If it was me, I'd try to sign Justin Patton - off the Wisconsin Herd. I'm pretty sure the Bucks don't have his NBA rights.

Detroit heard me. They just signed Patton to an NBA contract. Same team that signed Wood. But I don't know if they signed him past this season.

Detroit gave Patton a partial guarantee for next season. Very smart move by them.
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#14 » by WallToWall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Wall says he is sitting out. So does that mean we have another available spot?

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#15 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:16 am

I don't think so because he was already out

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#16 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:52 pm

Beal might sit out so the Wizards might have another spot

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/01/bradley-beal-wizards-disney-decision/

So if Beal sits out, what are the odds the WIzards make the playoffs without Beal and someone bumps the "are the Wizards better without Beal" thread.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#17 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:35 pm

We are almost at the point where have the league is gonna be fielding a team of replacement guys. This restart means nothing it terms of Beal or no Beal the chip matters but what it means in any term other than that is nothing. Either way it will be a nice chance to see rui brown Matthews bongs, AP , Bryant and other young guys take the lead. If only we didn't trade isaf Shannon we could be contenders in the replacement cup lol

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#18 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:46 am

And the answer is . . . Jarrod Uthoff. Played with Aaron White and White was the bigger star. At least this time, if we signed a G league player it's a guy who was putting up decent numbers down there. It's frustrating when we sign a G leaguer and he was just solid down there. Anyone know anything about his defense? Hustle? Attitude?

NBADraftNet: "Overall: Uthoff has an intriguing mix of size and perimeter skills, so he could certainly find his way onto a roster as a versatile, experienced 3-and-D guy."

DraftExpress: "The circuitous route he took to collegiate success means he'll be 23 most of his first season at the pro level, and his lack of great explosiveness and average mental toughness limits his upside to a degree, but his jump shot and perimeter skill level make him a player a team could look to invest in as a second round pick in the hopes he can grow into a roleplayer who can fill in at either forward position."
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#19 » by youngWizzy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:05 pm

penbeast0 wrote:And the answer is . . . Jarrod Uthoff. Played with Aaron White and White was the bigger star. At least this time, if we signed a G league player it's a guy who was putting up decent numbers down there. It's frustrating when we sign a G leaguer and he was just solid down there. Anyone know anything about his defense? Hustle? Attitude?

NBADraftNet: "Overall: Uthoff has an intriguing mix of size and perimeter skills, so he could certainly find his way onto a roster as a versatile, experienced 3-and-D guy."

DraftExpress: "The circuitous route he took to collegiate success means he'll be 23 most of his first season at the pro level, and his lack of great explosiveness and average mental toughness limits his upside to a degree, but his jump shot and perimeter skill level make him a player a team could look to invest in as a second round pick in the hopes he can grow into a roleplayer who can fill in at either forward position."

1 of 5 players to make the 1st Team All-Gleague for what its worth.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
payitforward
RealGM

Post#20 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:26 pm

This is a question for nate. How do we have any extra roster spots?

To my knowledge, there is no way to sign a player because another player is "sitting out" (i.e. Brad, Bertans & Matthews). Or b/c a player tests positive for Covid (Bryant & Payton). What am I missing?

Nor did we get an exception for Wall.

So... how do we have any extra roster spots?

Return to Washington Wizards