Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,600

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#181 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:Boston should have gone with Goga at 14

i actually think Goga is a better prospect than Poku and he dropped to 18

Goga is great, him dropping to 18 was crazy, talk about player who showed that he will outgrow European competition, unlike guys like Avdija or Hezonja or Sekou.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#182 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Goga is great, him dropping to 18 was crazy, talk about player who showed that he will outgrow European competition, unlike guys like Avdija or Hezonja or Sekou.

I never understood that drop. He isn't a switchy guy, but he has range out to the NBA 3 and while his shot isn't consistent yet, he definatley has the mechanics for it to be. He didn't have star potential, but he seems like a guy that can be a starter on a contender as the 4th or 5th option IMO. He should have gone around 10-12 IMO. I think he is more likely to be above average at his position than NAW, Reddish, Johnson, Okeke, Langford, Culver and Garland. Possibly White as well, but I was just not high on a lot of these combo guards in 2019.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,499

Post#183 » by jezzerinho » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:09 pm

Sekou Doumbouya I really didn't get at all. I'm not the greatest talent evaluator by any stretch but he just screams reach to me.

Pokusevski is very intriguing. I'm not convinced putting him in forward spot based on his height is the sensible thing to do. Evaluate him on his skillset and put him where he gets to utilise it best. Maybe let him be a 7foot SG with secondary ballhandling responsibility.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#184 » by RiotPunch » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:04 am

Fischella wrote:I totally disagree, on the right team he can be a solid piece as a 9th-10th man right away next year

That doesn't scream meaningful NBA minutes to me, but fine agreeing to disagree.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#185 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:13 am

Sekou was legit not sure what yall are talking about
clyde21
RealGM

Post#186 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:14 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I never understood that drop. He isn't a switchy guy, but he has range out to the NBA 3 and while his shot isn't consistent yet, he definatley has the mechanics for it to be. He didn't have star potential, but he seems like a guy that can be a starter on a contender as the 4th or 5th option IMO. He should have gone around 10-12 IMO. I think he is more likely to be above average at his position than NAW, Reddish, Johnson, Okeke, Langford, Culver and Garland. Possibly White as well, but I was just not high on a lot of these combo guards in 2019.

he should have been taken ahead of Culver, Johnson and Langford

Coby, Garland, Reddish no...NAW toss-up same level
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#187 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:16 am

Goga was the only player Kupchak brought back to Charlotte for a 2nd workout. I think we would have drafted him if Washington had already been taken. It's hard to find skilled bigs with an already developed body that can also defend.

On topic Pokusevski is incredibly skilled for a 7 footer. If he was 20 pounds heavier he'd be taken in the top 10. I wish the Hornets had another first, I'd be all about drafting him outside of the lottery.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#188 » by pad300 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:17 pm

jezzerinho wrote:...

Pokusevski is very intriguing. I'm not convinced putting him in forward spot based on his height is the sensible thing to do. Evaluate him on his skillset and put him where he gets to utilise it best. Maybe let him be a 7foot SG with secondary ballhandling responsibility.

and

Mirotic12 wrote:I understand it perfectly. I'm not even talking about whether he plays like his height or not. In fact, he does not on offense, as he generally plays like a 7 feet shooting guard , much like Dirk did, at least for much of his career.

If he can actually play SG in today's league, he should be going top 5. That's Dirk, except with better shotblocking and steal rates - which generally correlate with help defense ability. That's a monster...
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#189 » by getrichordie » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:00 pm

pad300 wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:...

and

Mirotic12 wrote:I understand it perfectly. I'm not even talking about whether he plays like his height or not. In fact, he does not on offense, as he generally plays like a 7 feet shooting guard , much like Dirk did, at least for much of his career.

If he can actually play SG in today's league, he should be going top 5. That's Dirk, except with better shotblocking and steal rates - which generally correlate with help defense ability. That's a monster...

Yeah, he’s definitely a 4. He doesn’t have the lateral burst to defend out on the perimeter...
[twitter] @thunderdustin
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#190 » by pad300 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:20 pm

getrichordie wrote:Yeah, he’s definitely a 4. He doesn’t have the lateral burst to defend out on the perimeter...

If he can't defend on the perimeter at all, he's a 5. And that could easily tank him; he needs to put on a lot of muscle to play at the 5 spot in this league. Think him vs. Steve Adams... currently, Poku gets broken in half.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#191 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:25 pm

pad300 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Yeah, he’s definitely a 4. He doesn’t have the lateral burst to defend out on the perimeter...

If he can't defend on the perimeter at all, he's a 5. And that could easily tank him; he needs to put on a lot of muscle to play at the 5 spot in this league. Think him vs. Steve Adams... currently, Poku gets broken in half.

Yeah, but it probably gets better as he gets into an NBA strength training program. I would surmise that his lack of burst is from a lack of strength for his size. I'd say if he can get to 220 which is doable, he will be fine. His plus length and size makes up for some of that already but he still needs to improve. And you can scheme for that stuff and teams will might be willing to do that depending on how good he becomes.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,600

Post#192 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:Sekou was legit not sure what yall are talking about

Name one thing Sekou is good at. He is just NBA body and thats it.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#193 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:22 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Sekou was legit not sure what yall are talking about

Name one thing Sekou is good at. He is just NBA body and thats it.

peep the Sekou thread we had
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#194 » by NotACat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:34 pm

pad300 wrote:

I see him as a 5 and if a team takes him as a project, they get a better chance at Cade next year. Win-win in my eyes.
Black Lives Matter
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#195 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Kind of a modern day Kukoc with more rim protecting capability seems like a good comp to me.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,578

Post#196 » by Swish1906 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:15 pm

pad300 wrote:

If Adams wants, he breaks 90% of the league in half...
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#197 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Clearly Poku is not going to be defending a guy like Adams early in his career. But on the other end good luck to Adams covering Poku on the perimeter.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#198 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:37 pm

EvanZ wrote:Clearly Poku is not going to be defending a guy like Adams early in his career. But on the other end good luck to Adams covering Poku on the perimeter.

the 4 will defend Poku, you can also throw 3s at him no problem
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#199 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Clearly Poku is not going to be defending a guy like Adams early in his career. But on the other end good luck to Adams covering Poku on the perimeter.

Depends who you have on the court. If Poku is your biggest guy, then Adams may be forced to be out there. I mean you don't want him defending even smaller guys do you?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#200 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:37 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Depends who you have on the court. If Poku is your biggest guy, then Adams may be forced to be out there. I mean you don't want him defending even smaller guys do you?

doesn't really matter because Poku plays more like a 6-6 guy than he a does a 7-0 guy, a lot of 3s will be able to body him on the perimeter...what will Poku do if he has Covington or Klay or Butler on him on the perimeter? he's not really like a KD where he really does play that tall, or a Nowitzki, where you can't just put 6-6 guys on them they'll just bomb J's over their heads all day

Return to NBA Draft