The Newer-est Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,290

Re: The Newer-est Video Game Thread 

Post#101 » by Calinks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:11 pm

Jedzz wrote:You maybe need to back off the gaming Clank. I think I might be missing a win in the +/- games. So behind.

I will update some time after the weekend.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#102 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:46 am

I skipped through a lot of stuff, but I do like MyCareer mode's switch to working from the predraft process through summer league rather than shipping the guy to China and up through the G League. Gotta work on my drills though, but it didn't really seem to kill me....

Anybody done MyTeam? Which starter pack did you choose? I went with Hakeem. Messed around a bit on there today and liking it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#103 » by WolfAddict » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:44 am

Anybody using the NBA break to play anything new and interesting?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,703

Post#104 » by UcanUwill » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:20 pm

WolfAddict wrote:Anybody using the NBA break to play anything new and interesting?

I developed some kind of phobia for new things, including games and TV shows, probably mentioned it here before. On forced vocation starting tomorrow, would like idea of playing something new and interesting, but doubt that will happen. I still havent fully finished God of War, maybe gonna finish that one, and I just reinstalled Shadow of war. But I bet I will just find myself playing same old time wasting strategy or worse - sports games. Also planning on rewatching Witcher with Henry Cavill.

I hope to find inner strength to actually try something I havent, which is really hard for me to do nowadays. I am thinking of DOOM, the first one at least. Out of new stuff, I am actually looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima, wanted to save up my holidays for that one, its a game I am planning to buy as soon as comes out or even pre order it, which is uncharacterstic for me, but plans changed for obvious reasons. I really hope that game is good and is not a scam, reminds me of my all time favorite game - Witcher 3. And yeah, I might replay Witcher 3 with some Mods maybe.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#105 » by Calinks » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Klomp wrote:I skipped through a lot of stuff, but I do like MyCareer mode's switch to working from the predraft process through summer league rather than shipping the guy to China and up through the G League. Gotta work on my drills though, but it didn't really seem to kill me....

Anybody done MyTeam? Which starter pack did you choose? I went with Hakeem. Messed around a bit on there today and liking it.

I find My Career mode way more tolerable this year. You can actually earn a lot of VC in 5 games or so. Lots of opportunities to gain extra through some added modes and prize wheels. The pace is way better than some other 2K games where it was a crazy grind.

WolfAddict wrote:Anybody using the NBA break to play anything new and interesting?

I have been trying ALOT of new games. In big part thanks to Xbox Game Pass.

Some new favorites

Children of Morta
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Judgment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#106 » by Calinks » Tue May 5, 2020 6:43 pm

Started up College Hoops 2K8 again. This game is so damn good. I would be just as hyped for a college hoops 2K21 as any game ever at this point. I can play it for days, building up a program. Just so fun recruiting players, turning crappy program into a great one, and growing your coaching staff.

I also love how there is an endless variety of players and how things play out, My only complaints about this game are a lot of players have very similar looking faces. I also hate how they give 30 percent of players that stupid Troy Hudson hair style. They act like everyone was wearing that in 2009, it was a T-Hud and a few other guys. Everyone has it in this game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#107 » by Klomp » Tue May 5, 2020 8:44 pm

Calinks wrote:Started up College Hoops 2K8 again. This game is so damn good. I would be just as hyped for a college hoops 2K21 as any game ever at this point. I can play it for days, building up a program. Just so fun recruiting players, turning crappy program into a great one, and growing your coaching staff.

I also love how there is an endless variety of players and how things play out, My only complaints about this game are a lot of players have very similar looking faces. I also hate how they give 30 percent of players that stupid Troy Hudson hair style. They act like everyone was wearing that in 2009, it was a T-Hud and a few other guys. Everyone has it in this game.

That was a fun game, has it really been 12 years?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#108 » by Calinks » Thu May 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Beasley is terrible in My Career. He's starting yet he gets about 5 points per game. Doesn't do anything unless he is wide open, gets destroyed on defense. Man he's so weak. Frustrating as he should be a killer, my PF it like Jokic without a jumper but more domiant. I get so many offensive boards, fast breks due to blocks, etc but Beasley can never capitalize.

Between him, Russell, and KAT it should be raining buckets with everything my PF does.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,801

Post#109 » by KGdaBom » Sat May 16, 2020 10:50 am

Anybody played the Final Fantasy VII remake? My son says it's awesome.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#110 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:41 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Anybody played the Final Fantasy VII remake? My son says it's awesome.

Played about 4 hours, never played the original game. Will get back into it at some point but have moved on to other games I want to tackle first. What I played was cool.

Jumped back into 2K20 My Career and finished the season. Made the playoffs by just a few games. Went on to surprisingly beat the Clippers in 5 games, then had a more competitive series with the Mavs where we would win by like 15 then the next game they would blow us out by 30. They had two huge wins against us but would flop next game.

Then we played the Lakers in the conference finals and got murdered 4 straight games. There are a lot of things I hate about the way 2K plays. It makes sense in a way but its totally stupid in real time. For example, the Lakers were damn near impossible to beat because they have a ridiculous collection of bigs.

In 2K20, just putting a body on a player makes scoring very hard. A big body that has good defensive stats, it is incredibly hard to score against. Unless you have maxed out post stats or can get around them, you will not score. What makes it worse is that if a team is known to be a defensive team, has a good rating, everyone becomes a shut down artist. You will get people flying out of nowhere to block you, even average players will start playing like Mutombo.

Lakers have Lebron, Anthony Davis, Howard, Cousins, and McGee. That is a nightmare for an athletic PF build with little skill moves. When I could somehow get around them I could score but if they were anywhere close to me it was a miss or a block. I couldn't get them to foul me like old games, they are too good and just alter your shot without hacking you. It was brutal.

What compounds this "elite" AI defense is the fact that 2K is absolutely atrocious when it comes to teammate AI. This is by far my biggest complaint about 2K games and My Career.

Your teammates are TRASH if you are playing as a big. It is extremely annoying to know that I can rely on maybe one start to step up every game. Generally, KAT has a solid game (14ish pts, 10 boards 9 minute quarters) but he checks out often and no shows with 5 point games.

The guard play is absolute filth. Russell is frequently useless. He goes whole half without a score, same with Beasley, he does nothing most of the time. It's really frustrating how poorly your teammates play I don't know why 2K doesn't address this. I think most people like the fantasy of being the mega super star that carries their team every night and most people play the 1-3 spot where you may have more agency getting your teammates involved but man its a big issue.

I don't think Russell has ever had a 30 point game. I don't think Beasley has ever had one over 22. Usually, they are scoring single-digit numbers. It's a total frustrating mess, for once I want a game where I can rely on my teammates to get the job down, particularly when they have ratings that should allow them to do so.

When I do get the team takeover, then we magically look like a new team. Suddenly Russell is a huge problem, our guards can shoot, the bigs are more open. Bleh, its crap.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#111 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:34 pm

Now I'm in season 2. Very promising start as the wolves have made some really nice additions on paper.

The bad news, Beasley is gone. I really wanted to play with him but he sucks in this game anyway so it's not a terrible loss. The new additions have some nice attributes.

Bench Player: Christian Wood- 6'10 PF who surprisingly has an 84 3 point rating so potentially great stretch shooter.
Bench Player: Furkan Korkmaz who also has an 84 three point rating.
Rookie PF: Sam Newman picked 19th. Rated 74, has 77 three point 90 mid range and 82 potential. Very nice pick up.
Rookie currernt starter SG Marc Miller. 6'5 85 mid range 90 three point.

We got some size and shooting. Our defense is still terrible but these young guys, if they actually take shots should be able to drain them.

Also thank God the Lakers lost all their bigs except Davis and Lebron.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#112 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Calinks wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Anybody played the Final Fantasy VII remake? My son says it's awesome.

Played about 4 hours, never played the original game. Will get back into it at some point but have moved on to other games I want to tackle first. What I played was cool.

As you know I worked in the industry. When the playstation came out FFVII was absolutely revolutionary. I personally consider it the greatest video game of all time as I'm a role play fan. What made the game is a brilliant story line. For the playstation 4 they are going to split the original game into 3 or 4 games and add a bunch of elements to make each game about as long as the original.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#113 » by Calinks » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:22 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:

As you know I worked in the industry. When the PlayStation came out FFVII was absolutely revolutionary. I personally consider it the greatest video game of all time as I'm a role play fan. What made the game is a brilliant storyline. For the playstation 4 they are going to split the original game into 3 or 4 games and add a bunch of elements to make each game about as long as the original.

Yea, the buzz around the original was crazy. This was before I had any real access to the internet or games media outside of game mags and visiting a game store. I don't believe I had a Playstation at the time but I also wasn't that much into JRPG's. I was a teen then and I do remember one of my friends telling me how amazing the game was. He was really blown away, for some reason it never made me try and get it though. Don't know why, suppose I was just more interested in the N64 and my wrestling games/Goldeneye.

I probably didn't get a PlayStation until around 98/99 and by then I suppose the game wasn't on my radar. That's what made getting the remake so appealing to me though, I get to experience the story for the first time (though I hear there are some major alterations).
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#114 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Calinks wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:Played about 4 hours, never played the original game. Will get back into it at some point but have moved on to other games I want to tackle first. What I played was cool.

As you know I worked in the industry. When the PlayStation came out FFVII was absolutely revolutionary. I personally consider it the greatest video game of all time as I'm a role play fan. What made the game is a brilliant storyline. For the playstation 4 they are going to split the original game into 3 or 4 games and add a bunch of elements to make each game about as long as the original.

Yea, the buzz around the original was crazy. This was before I had any real access to the internet or games media outside of game mags and visiting a game store. I don't believe I had a Playstation at the time but I also wasn't that much into JRPG's. I was a teen then and I do remember one of my friends telling me how amazing the game was. He was really blown away, for some reason it never made me try and get it though. Don't know why, suppose I was just more interested in the N64 and my wrestling games/Goldeneye.

I probably didn't get a PlayStation until around 98/99 and by then I suppose the game wasn't on my radar. That's what made getting the remake so appealing to me though, I get to experience the story for the first time (though I hear there are some major alterations).

The only game I'm aware of that has a story line that can compete with FFVII is Star Wars Knights of the old republic. Also very old now. If you get the chance to play that after completing FFVII I recommend doing so.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#115 » by Calinks » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:04 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:As you know I worked in the industry. When the PlayStation came out FFVII was absolutely revolutionary. I personally consider it the greatest video game of all time as I'm a role play fan. What made the game is a brilliant storyline. For the playstation 4 they are going to split the original game into 3 or 4 games and add a bunch of elements to make each game about as long as the original.

The only game I'm aware of that has a story line that can compete with FFVII is Star Wars Knights of the old republic. Also very old now. If you get the chance to play that after completing FFVII I recommend doing so.

I was an OG Xbox guy. Was number 7 in line at Best Buy in Maplewood on launch day in 2001. First consoles I ever bought with my own money and I was very proud of that fact lol. I absolutely got KOTOR when that came out and I loved it. Loved Mass Effect a handful of years later too. Funnily enough... Just last year I started to "Replay" KOTOR II and after about 4 hours in, I realized, I never beat the game.

For all these years I swore in my mind that I beat KOTOR 1 and 2 but somehow I only played a little bit of 2. I was shocked. The great news was, I got to experience the majority of it for the first time. I really enjoyed it though I see why some take issue with it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#116 » by Calinks » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:06 am

By the way, today is the big reveal of the PlayStation 5. Here is a video of the entire conference if anyone cares to take a look. I thought it was really well done.

WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#117 » by WolfAddict » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 am

Yep, already put the $$ aside to pre-order when we can - Good timing too, my PS4 disk drive is starting to crap out on me.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#118 » by Mattya » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:26 am

WolfAddict wrote:Yep, already put the $$ aside to pre-order when we can - Good timing too, my PS4 disk drive is starting to crap out on me.

Traded in my Xbox last year because I knew this was coming. I'm hoping they announce some premium controllers with paddles on the back. Have they said how large the storage space is going to be. I checked and the last 3 Call of Duty games are each over 150 Gb. I remember at the end of the PS3's life the last CoD was 50 some Gb. and developers keep pushing graphics every single generation. I think typical AAA story games will be around 150 Gb and games like CoD will be pushing 300 Gbs of storage by the end of the generation. I think that is why there is such a push for streaming service games like Stadia, XCloud and PSNow. Plus these games have almost monthly 30 Gb updates or even more.

I'm ready for the new consoles. Trying to load your friends list or a party chat while in a game is very slow right now. Just wish we got a God of War announcement.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#119 » by Mattya » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:27 am

These presentations should skip almost all live presenters in the future and just have pre recorded videos to introduce their games. Less weird and awkward moments but hopefully still get live audience reactions.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,703

Post#120 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:54 am

Great reveal, but my takeaway is that most of these games can easily run on PS4. I think just a handful of games really reached full potential of the old console, when you look at God of war, Spiderman, Horizon and Death Stranding, these games look way better than a lot of games showed here, do we really needed new gen right now? I am just a little salty, because I dont want to buy new console so relatively soon, I bought PS4 not that long ago it feels.
Crazy, but most impressive game was probably that Rachet and Clank game, looked great, amazing graphics, fast pace action.

Console itself looks great, way better than just a black brick that was PS4.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves