ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,916

Re: Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50 

Post#1041 » by blueNorange » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:11 pm

What is one draft class you look at and immediately love?

Mullen: I really like what the New York Mets did with their first two picks in this draft. Pete Crow-Armstrong is the kind of prospect who would have gone much higher with just a bit more present power, and if the signs of the outfielder showing it more often this spring are real, he's a steal at No. 19. Then they placed a second-round bet on right-hander J.T. Ginn coming back with the first-round stuff he showed before needing Tommy John surgery, which also could pay big dividends. I'll throw another one out there for good measure: The White Sox's 1-2 pitching punch of Garrett Crochet in the first round and Jared Kelley in the second is really intriguing. Chicago has a whole lot of elite offensive talent arriving in the majors now and, while there's some risk in both of these guys, these are two arms who could be key contributors.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,126

Post#1042 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:27 pm

yeah seems like the mets overslotted a few guys early in the draft. And draft a few guys later that will just be organizational players they will get below slot value to make sure they can overpay there specific targets. First 3 picks seem to have really good potential.

And its the best year to take a TJ surgery guy because they can rehab this year and be ready for next season hopefully and not really miss any time.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,836

Post#1043 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:32 pm

As a Yankee fan who for years has followed the MLB Draft more deeply than you can imagine, the Mets have finally been getting it REALLY right. I hate it as a Yankee fan ( :lol: ), but it makes me legitimately happy for my good friends that love the team.

I think Guttridge probably has - at absolute minimum - an indirect influence on this shift. He's going to be one of the youngest GMs in the league in the near future.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1044 » by blueNorange » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:03 pm

mpharris36 wrote:yeah seems like the mets overslotted a few guys early in the draft. And draft a few guys later that will just be organizational players they will get below slot value to make sure they can overpay there specific targets. First 3 picks seem to have really good potential.

And its the best year to take a TJ surgery guy because they can rehab this year and be ready for next season hopefully and not really miss any time.

i wouldn't sell the other draftees short, perhaps not prospects but they're utility players with one being a catcher.

you can never not have enough versatility.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1045 » by mpharris36 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:22 pm

blueNorange wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:yeah seems like the mets overslotted a few guys early in the draft. And draft a few guys later that will just be organizational players they will get below slot value to make sure they can overpay there specific targets. First 3 picks seem to have really good potential.

i wouldn't sell the other draftees short, perhaps not prospects but they're utility players with one being a catcher.

you can never not have enough versatility.

not trying to sell them short just being realistic. They weren't even in the top 500 of draftable players. They most likely are just minor league depth which is fine. But I like the approach overslot guys with signablility issues and have a few specific targets in a year it was difficult to scout future talent.

Seems like the mets targeted a few key players and were willing to make sure they got them by underslotting guys later in the draft.

ROSTER

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,397

Post#1046 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Sounds like good news. Baseball seems so far away right now.
Free Palestine
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1047 » by mpharris36 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

basically what I was trying to say. They gave a guy a shot that had no business being picked in the 3rd round so they can pay him peanuts. Now they underslotted him over 600k that they can give probably to make sure they can sign the first 3 guys they drafted.

ROSTER

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1048 » by blueNorange » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 pm

ginn signed 2.9mm signing bonus.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1049 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 am

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

basically what I was trying to say. They gave a guy a shot that had no business being picked in the 3rd round so they can pay him peanuts. Now they underslotted him over 600k that they can give probably to make sure they can sign the first 3 guys they drafted.

Can't they just trade the pick for a future pick? Or as part of some other deal, like in basketball? All these years watching, playing, loving baseball, I just never got into the MLB draft like I have with basketball. Probably because NBA first and maybe second round picks are going to play with the big team while baseball draft picks usually take years before they see the majors.
Free Palestine
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1050 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:49 am

blueNorange wrote:ginn signed 2.9mm signing bonus.

yup 1.5 over slot which they were able to give him because they picked those guys in the later rounds that signed for peanuts.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1051 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:51 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Can't they just trade the pick for a future pick? Or as part of some other deal, like in basketball? All these years watching, playing, loving baseball, I just never got into the MLB draft like I have with basketball. Probably because NBA first and maybe second round picks are going to play with the big team while baseball draft picks usually take years before they see the majors.

you can't trade draft picks in the MLB (I believe you can trade compensatory picks) like if one of your FA leaves and you gave him a qualifying offer you can trade that pick.

But any of the other regular draft picks you can't trade and you have a specific draft pick bonus pool that is establish and you can under or overslot but you can't go over that total # or you get penalized.

ROSTER

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1052 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:51 am

Seems like we really lucked out with this DH rule. Tailor-made for Cespedes or Lowrie or JD or even Pete when we want to give him a breather (day game after a night game?) and play Dominic there. Whoever our manager is (I forget his name ... Rojas? I remember he comes from the Alou family, right?) will have a lot of flexibility over a shortened season. I thing this should be a lot of fun so long as it can be done safely. And I have some serious concerns about that.

What to do? Also, what happens on a walk-off whatever in a big game - or any game for that matter? No home plate celebrations except for maybe some socially distant flexing poses or blowing of kisses.

In other news, we signed Melky and Hunter "The Bryce Hunter" Strickland for the short haul.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1053 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:50 am

mpharris36 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

you can't trade draft picks in the MLB (I believe you can trade compensatory picks) like if one of your FA leaves and you gave him a qualifying offer you can trade that pick.

But any of the other regular draft picks you can't trade and you have a specific draft pick bonus pool that is establish and you can under or overslot but you can't go over that total # or you get penalized.

Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1054 » by blueNorange » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:32 pm

brodie went like 10%(or 5%) over the slot and anymore mets would've lost a pick -- that was his lawyer/payer agent background paying off.

some nice power arms between allan, wolf, and now ginn.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1055 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 pm

blueNorange wrote:brodie went like 10%(or 5%) over the slot and anymore mets would've lost a pick -- that was his lawyer/payer agent background paying off.

he's done well in terms of his high risk draft strategy to build the farm system. I will give him that.

Whether he can build a proper roster is still yet to be seen. The Cano deal is horrible (especially with how good Kelenic has developed) but might be saved by having a DH in the NL.

ROSTER

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1056 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:brodie went like 10%(or 5%) over the slot and anymore mets would've lost a pick -- that was his lawyer/payer agent background paying off.

he's done well in terms of his high risk draft strategy to build the farm system. I will give him that.

Whether he can build a proper roster is still yet to be seen. The Cano deal is horrible (especially with how good Kelenic has developed) but might be saved by having a DH in the NL.

Cespedes not DH? Platoon?
Free Palestine
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1057 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:13 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

im sure they will split time. But I was thinkg long term. I think the DH will also be going forward and cespedes is in his last year.

Mets will probably give Cespedes, Cano, JD, and give rest to Alonso so Dom can play 1B.

They are probably best equiped to use the DH in the NL since they have a few qualified options.

ROSTER

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1058 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:19 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

im sure they will split time. But I was thinkg long term. I think the DH will also be going forward and cespedes is in his last year.

Mets will probably give Cespedes, Cano, JD, and give rest to Alonso so Dom can play 1B.

They are probably best equiped to use the DH in the NL since they have a few qualified options.

We also have Lowrie. We have DHs like the Knicks have PFs. :lol:
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#1059 » by Stannis » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:23 pm

For the love of God, can we just play Bobby Bonilla's contract in one lump sum? How many years does he have left?

This yearly reminder is annoying lol
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1060 » by blueNorange » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:48 am

btw do y'all follow @laurasgoldman ?

she's steve cohen's friend and talks on his behalf, steve cohen is still much in play in buying the mets.
LOL Y U MAD THO?

Return to New York Knicks