Trade Talk (Part Four)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#181 » by Jedzz » Tue Jun 9, 2020 11:27 pm

karch34 wrote:
minimus wrote:One question. If Giannis does not win in these playoffs and leaves MIL, would you trade our FRP, Culver, JJ, Spellman, Evans, Vanderbilt for Khris Middleton?

Khris Middleton averages 21ppg, 50%FG, 41% from 3pt, 6.2rpg, 4.1apg.

Then draft Kira Lewis Jr and Tyley Bey/Paul Reed. Resign Martin, McLaughlin. Sign Harry Giles to min deal.

KAT/Reid/Giles
Bey/Layman//Giles
Middleton/Martin/Layman
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/McLaughlin/Lewis

Middleton would be a great addition but at $35m/year hard to say he's the final piece which he'd have to be considering the cap.

No clue why they overpaid him that much. Just not consistent enough. I suppose they didn't feel they had anyone else that can heat up like he can, cuz he can, and didn't want to lose him and not have a high level replacement? Or one of those 'maintain the value' types of things like Wiggins? At least this player really can get heated up.

Is he a 16 to 20 per season worthy player in a 33-40 per season body? Seriously, it gets up to 40 per season in a couple years. Americans hoping for another tiny bailout check from the gov. A guy like this uses bailout checks for TP. Can't afford this player, no way no how.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#182 » by karch34 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:38 pm

It's definitely that they needed to keep him, especially with Brogdon leaving. It's a tough thing as there's players that are great on initial or 2nd contract, but when they get paid simiilar what they could get on the market the contract isn't commensurate with results. For teams like Milwaukee it's tough balance.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#183 » by karch34 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:43 pm

minimus wrote:A 2&D star no one speaks about

250 lbs?!

Read on Twitter

I think the way you could reimagine positionless basketball with someone like Simmons with Towns, D Lo, and Beasley would be amazing in the right hands.
samyell
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#184 » by samyell » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:56 am

It seems Orlando will be trading one of two (Isaac and Gordon) We have to be all over either, I think it gets done with Rosas at the helm and we have plenty of young trading pieces.
Samyell 4ever
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#185 » by minimus » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:01 am

samyell wrote:It seems Orlando will be trading one of two (Isaac and Gordon) We have to be all over either, I think it gets done with Rosas at the helm and we have plenty of young trading pieces.

Agree, but it depends on price. It is either PF or SF will be filled with 15-20 mil contract. Not both. So we either invest in small forward or in power forward.
minimus
RealGM

Post#186 » by minimus » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:43 am

Who are the best SF/PF defenders available on the market? IMO Aaron Gordon and Caris LeVert, both are young, athletic and willing defenders.

0) Juancho S&T for UTA #24

1) MIN 2020 FRP, Culver, Spellman, Evans for Caris LeVert

2) JJ, #16, MIN 2020 SRP for Aaron Gordon

Draft Tyler Bey. Re-sign Martin, McLaughlin to 1+3 deals.

KAT/Reid/Bey
Gordon/Bey/Vanderbilt
LeVert/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/McLaughlin/LeVert
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,839

Post#187 » by Domejandro » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:30 am

Feels like a crazy overpay for Caris LeVert. We are talking about Jarret Culver and a top three Draft Pick.
minimus
RealGM

Post#188 » by minimus » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:54 am

Domejandro wrote:Feels like a crazy overpay for Caris LeVert. We are talking about Jarret Culver and a top three Draft Pick.

It depends on how we value LeVert. Aside of injury concern he might be an answer as 3&D and ballhandler.
minimus
RealGM

Post#189 » by minimus » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:13 am

1) Juancho S&T for UTA #24

2) MIN FRP, Culver, Evans for NYK 2020 FRP (#6), NYK 2020 SRP (#35), NYK 2021 DAL pick

3) JJ, #16, MIN 2020 SRP for Aaron Gordon

Draft Vassell, Desmond Bane, Tyler Bey. Re-sign Martin, McLaughlin to 1+3 deals.

KAT/Reid/Bey
Gordon/Bey/Vanderbilt
Vassell/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/McLaughlin/Bane
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,936

Post#190 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:23 pm

On Twitter a fan said J-Mac deserves a multi year deal and Wolfson replied saying stay tuned/ways to go but stay tuned so there's probably at least something in the works which would be nice to have done before going into the off-season.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#191 » by Neeva » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:30 pm

minimus wrote:1) Juancho S&T for UTA #24

2) MIN FRP, Culver, Evans for NYK 2020 FRP (#6), NYK 2020 SRP (#35), NYK 2021 DAL pick

Draft Vassell, Desmond Bane, Tyler Bey. Re-sign Martin, McLaughlin to 1+3 deals.

KAT/Reid/Bey
Gordon/Bey/Vanderbilt
Vassell/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/McLaughlin/Bane

No offense but why do all your frp/culver trades keep getting worse.
I like the first trade though since I would prefer the wolves sign Grant instead of Hermagomez.
minimus
RealGM

Post#192 » by minimus » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Neeva wrote:
minimus wrote:1) Juancho S&T for UTA #24

KAT/Reid/Bey
Gordon/Bey/Vanderbilt
Vassell/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/McLaughlin/Bane

No offense but why do all your frp/culver trades keep getting worse.
I like the first trade though since I would prefer the wolves sign Grant instead of Hermagomez.

Yeah, mate, you are right. I am running out of ideas. The only thing that consoles me is that Rosas and Gupta are way too creative than me.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,712

Post#193 » by eminence » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:48 pm

What's the word on pairing/not pairing KAT with another big going forward?

Intrigued as to what options might be around the league if the Utah Gobert rumors have any truth to them.
I bought a boat.
minimus
RealGM

Post#194 » by minimus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:02 pm

eminence wrote:What's the word on pairing/not pairing KAT with another big going forward?

Intrigued as to what options might be around the league if the Utah Gobert rumors have any truth to them.

The only one big I would KAT with is AD
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,963

Post#195 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:21 pm

eminence wrote:What's the word on pairing/not pairing KAT with another big going forward?

The Wolves have made it abundantly clear they have no interest in playing lineups with two traditional bigs. The organization stuck with the philosophy even in situations where it was obviously hurting the team on the court. Maybe the front office and coaching staff rethink their approach at some point, but at the moment two bigs just isn't happening.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#196 » by shrink » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:06 am

wolves_89 wrote:

The Wolves have made it abundantly clear they have no interest in playing lineups with two traditional bigs. The organization stuck with the philosophy even in situations where it was obviously hurting the team on the court. Maybe the front office and coaching staff rethink their approach at some point, but at the moment two bigs just isn't happening.

This. Gorgui Dieng had a great year, and was hitting three-pointers, and had great stats playing together the last two years — yet last year management still only played those two together a handful of minutes. Even against big teams like PHI, MIN refused to stray from their “one ball handler - three wings - one center” system that they had talked about from Day One. They continue to say they want other teams to adjust to them, and not adjust to other teams.

I am a huge Gobert fan, and feel he is continually under-appreciated for his historic shot-altering impact on defense. But the Wolves are 100% invested in Towns at center, and not pairing him with another big.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#197 » by Norseman79 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:29 am

shrink wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

This. Gorgui Dieng had a great year, and was hitting three-pointers, and had great stats playing together the last two years — yet last year management still only played those two together a handful of minutes. Even against big teams like PHI, MIN refused to stray from their “one ball handler - three wings - one center” system that they had talked about from Day One. They continue to say they want other teams to adjust to them, and not adjust to other teams.

I am a huge Gobert fan, and feel he is continually under-appreciated for his historic shot-altering impact on defense. But the Wolves are 100% invested in Towns at center, and not pairing him with another big.

This is also why the idea of two long, defensive wings that are respectable 3pt shooters is more likely.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#198 » by Jedzz » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:40 pm

shrink wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

You are completey right shrink. However, they and Towns both would be completely stupid to not think about the option if it is there. Towns and Gobert in the same lineup? Gobert isn't Deing. Dlo, Beasley, Towns, Gobert? That's three great shooters, one game altering defender, two bigs that can move well. Then add whoever for a 5th. It massively improves defense, competes with the teams running two bigs, keeps their shooting high, and still could allow three verstile guards on the floor at once. They would have to be morons to just turn their nose up to it.
minimus
RealGM

Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#199 » by minimus » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:12 pm

1) It is not true that Rosas and Ryan did not play two bigs. There were games with KAT-Reid, and KAT-Bell.

2) Dieng is not mobile enough to play next to KAT, he had a good season because he played as only big in 1-3-1 scheme.

3) Pairing KAT with another big on full time basis makes zero sense. 3pt shot becomes more valuable and pace is even higher. Bigs are asked even more to defend on perimeter and in space. In current league any decent wing/ballhandler duo would destroy Gobert-KAT centric defense. Not to mention that two big contracts at C position leave no room for decent bench and wing depth.

Gobert showed little improvement on offense, and his limitations on offense forced UTA to play Bogdanovic, i.e. an offensive minded wing at PF. Gobert at C is completely opposite direction from fast-pace, five out offensive scheme. I am ok with low profile big such as Noah Vohnle or Jordan Bell who can be our 3rd string big for vetmin. I can even see us playing such player next to KAT or Reid in some games, some stretches. But I won't give any big contract to bigman considering the fact that we have KAT and Reid. There is no room. At maximum, I can see us adding defensive minded stretch 5 via draft or 1+3 deal.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#200 » by shrink » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:18 am

minimus wrote:1) It is not true that Rosas and Ryan did not play two bigs. There were games with KAT-Reid, and KAT-Bell.

Bell is no center, which Gobert is exclusively. Here are the minutes last season Towns played with

747 minutes: Covington
352 minutes: Graham (sometimes SF)
198 minutes: Layman (sometimes SF)
185 minutes: KBD
102 minutes: Bell

For centers:

10 minutes: Reid
8 minutes: Dieng

The question the poster asked was whether it was likely there was truth in the rumor of Gobert playing with KAT. He did not ask for whether MIN posters would like to see to see two bigs. I am a huge Gobert fan and would love to see him as a Timberwolf, but if the team maintains it’s stance, they aren’t pairing Towns with Gobert. Just because some other player is talented, does not make him realistic here.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves