ImageImageImage

Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

oreon
Analyst
And1: 6,108

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#921 » by oreon » Tue May 26, 2020 9:32 pm

HeatFanLifer wrote:
oreon wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:NBA should do a world cup style of bracketing to finish the season. 6 groups of 5 teams. Two teams advance from each group. Group placement is based on regular season record. 1 game against each team in group.

Group A:
Milwaukee, Philly, Dallas, Chicago, New York
Group B:
Lakers, indy, Memphis, Charlotte, Detroit
Group C:
Toronto, Houston, Brooklyn, Washington, Atl
Group D:
Clippers, OKC, Orlando, Phoenix, Minny
Group E:
Celtics, Heat, Portland, San Antonio, Cleveland
Group F:
Nuggets, Jazz, New Orleans, Sacramento, Warriors

12 teams advance. Teams with top 4 regular season records get a bye. 3 game playoff for 8 remaining teams in first round. Brackets are re-seeded each round depending on record.

That is way too complicated. There are talks about doing 1 - 16 regardless of conference. The top 13 are pretty much set. You could have a play in tournament for 8 teams for the last 3 spots. Then the rest is the same, 7 game playoffs with reseeding each round. The matchups would be fun.

The NBA is considering a group stage with the resumption of the season....

The 20 teams would be allocated into five tiers in descending order by record.

Tier 1: Bucks, Lakers, Raptors, Clippers
Tier 2: Celtics, Nuggets, Jazz, Heat
Tier 3: Thunder, Rockets, Pacers, Sixers
Tier 4: Mavericks, Grizzlies, Nets, Magic
Tier 5: Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, Spurs

Groups would then be randomly drawn with one team from each tier.

Ok. I read it and I don't like it. Just go with top 16 and start playoffs. Or go with the top 8 in each conference based on 63 games (minimum amt of games played by a team). Portland is 4 games away from 8th and Wizards 5 away. Tough luck for these teams but it wouldn't be a travesty if they missed out. We shouldn't dramatically alter the post season when there's no need to.
I am ok with a play in tournament to get the last 2 spots for the playoffs but not changing the playoff format from a best of 7 each round. It won't be the same competition
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,508

Post#922 » by AirP. » Thu May 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Read on Twitter
oreon
Analyst

Post#923 » by oreon » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:09 am

Lol Draymond trying to get himself traded. I don't know if Steph has it in him. He can't let it slide, Dray gotta go.
Read on Twitter
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#924 » by HeatFanLifer » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:31 am

oreon wrote:Lol Draymond trying to get himself traded. I don't know if Steph has it in him. He can't let it slide, Dray gotta go.
Read on Twitter

He’s past his prime in terms of talent and his personality would hurt any team’s chemistry. Not sure who would trade for him. Maybe the Sixers make an offer in the offseason? They don’t have much to lose right now.
OP for NBA FT record
oreon
Analyst

Post#925 » by oreon » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Kyrie, please Noooo. Isn't he hurt? He wasn't gonna play anyways.
Looks like NBA screwed up here. Should have gotten consensus from the players before going ahead. A lot of people were okay with season getting cancelled. But now if you announce it then cancel it again,there will be backlash especially towards the players.
Seems Silver may have miscalculated and rushed the process here. Whatever happens they need to figure it by next week. Either go ahead with a majority of players or cancel it. The worst outcome would be it resuming with a lot players opting out
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,795

Post#926 » by Mos_Heat » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:54 pm

I mean, next szn is even less probable, than Orlando bubble. If they don't wanna play they shouldn't. But they have to understand that the whole NBA(players, stuffers, media, arena workers) would take a major hit.
:reporter:
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,891

Post#927 » by eddieheatfan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:I mean, next szn is even less probable, than Orlando bubble. If they don't wanna play they shouldn't. But they have to understand that the whole NBA(players, stuffers, media, arena workers) would take a major hit.
what a ****, i made my peace of having no NBA for the foreseeable future.the players have a right not to play but fans have also a right to disengage from the sport because of politics.the corona stuff is bad enough
oreon
Analyst

Post#928 » by oreon » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:I mean, next szn is even less probable, than Orlando bubble. If they don't wanna play they shouldn't. But they have to understand that the whole NBA(players, stuffers, media, arena workers) would take a major hit.

Read on Twitter

The impact is astronomical in terms of the losses. I am pro the protests but that they can protest and play as well. They will still have the media platform to do so. And there's still other stuff they can do in the background as well kinda like Bron did with the foundation he started.
I think they need to take the protests out of the equation and look at as a health vs financial risk. Is the health risk too high that they are ok with all that money lost. It's a cold way to look at it. But there is a lot of money at stake and they seriously need to take a look at the potential losses.
al bondiga
Starter
And1: 2,750

Post#929 » by al bondiga » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:45 pm

eddieheatfan wrote:
what a ****, i made my peace of having no NBA for the foreseeable future.the players have a right not to play but fans have also a right to disengage from the sport because of politics.the corona stuff is bad enough

Everybody has right to be an ungrateful douche bag
Mike1989
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#930 » by Mike1989 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:30 pm

oreon wrote:
Read on Twitter

The impact is astronomical in terms of the losses. I am pro the protests but that they can protest and play as well. They will still have the media platform to do so. And there's still other stuff they can do in the background as well kinda like Bron did with the foundation he started.
I think they need to take the protests out of the equation and look at as a health vs financial risk. Is the health risk too high that they are ok with all that money lost. It's a cold way to look at it. But there is a lot of money at stake and they seriously need to take a look at the potential losses.

The issue the players face with not playing is the question when they will feel safe to play. If this season is cancelled, will it be any safer later this year for the start of 20/21? Probably not if the country is hit by a second wave. So if they don't feel safe now then they won't feel safe in a few months time when the new season could start. Do they scrap that season and that pay packet as well? If they do, will a return in 21/22 be any better? Only if there has been a vaccine created and distributed, however that timescale is very optimistic. An effective treatment would be a viable alternative as well, though they would still be at risk of a dangerous virus.

Basically what I am saying here is at some point the players, like people in everyday walk of life, are going to have to accept risk and adapt. Now professional sports are not essential for the running of any country, so potentially they could stop until a vaccine is found and it is safe for everyone to mingle again. However, there is no guarantee that a vaccine will be found, or that this virus will burn itself out. It could be around for good. If it mutates we are in big trouble. So in effect I'd understand the players erring on the side of caution and not playing out this season, and perhaps even delaying the 20/21season as well, but eventually they will have to return to the court because there is no guarantee that waiting the virus out will result in a vaccine, effective treatment or it burning out.
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,891

Post#931 » by eddieheatfan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:30 am

Mike1989 wrote:
oreon wrote:
Read on Twitter

The issue the players face with not playing is the question when they will feel safe to play. If this season is cancelled, will it be any safer later this year for the start of 20/21? Probably not if the country is hit by a second wave. So if they don't feel safe now then they won't feel safe in a few months time when the new season could start. Do they scrap that season and that pay packet as well? If they do, will a return in 21/22 be any better? Only if there has been a vaccine created and distributed, however that timescale is very optimistic. An effective treatment would be a viable alternative as well, though they would still be at risk of a dangerous virus.

Basically what I am saying here is at some point the players, like people in everyday walk of life, are going to have to accept risk and adapt. Now professional sports are not essential for the running of any country, so potentially they could stop until a vaccine is found and it is safe for everyone to mingle again. However, there is no guarantee that a vaccine will be found, or that this virus will burn itself out. It could be around for good. If it mutates we are in big trouble. So in effect I'd understand the players erring on the side of caution and not playing out this season, and perhaps even delaying the 20/21season as well, but eventually they will have to return to the court because there is no guarantee that waiting the virus out will result in a vaccine, effective treatment or it burning out.
i'm seen people playing soccer at empty stadiums in germany. i must admit,its weird not watching a sport with a crowd cheering but its doable.if europe can do it so the americans since the former are exposed to the same damn virus anyway.
now if the american athletes dont want to play because of politics that's another issue altogether.like i said above they can protest all that they want but dont expect the fanbase or at least part of it to support them in the long run.as is,the ratings for the NBA has been declining for quite sometime and i suspect that some people will tun them out even more because of this...

any sane person would agree that what the policemen did to floyd was terrible and they should be in jail for premeditated murder for a looong time but looting and destroying business (that were already suffering because of the lockdowns) shouldnt be allowed.innocent people that had nothing to do to what happened to floyd are now without a job because of these riots.now there's also the issue that they want to disband the police departments in some states and locations.so i ask this question,who is going to come to your aid when some criminal assaults you in your home or in the streets? so the protesters are now for gun ownership or what??
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,118

Post#932 » by twix2500 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:27 pm

I haven't been following the players discussion on returning. Iv been having my own battle keeping my stubborn 90yr old father safe. Lord! Taking care of your father got to be 100x worse than your mother.

I do not see what the social issues have to do with returning this summer. I see someone mention that social issues is one of Kyrie concerns. Is Kyrie speaking on behalf of the players or himself? Is their a demand from the players that has something to do with social reform?

Also I am concern Kyrie leading the discussions on the pandemic issue. He has shown he is more of a conspiracists in his decision making. Which may mean he doesn't hold professional advice that highly or as equally to a dude off the corners advice just as highly as a professional.

We know enough about SARS-COV2 to develop a policy to keep players safe. The question will they implement that policy correctly and are the players and staff willing to follow it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
al bondiga
Starter
And1: 2,750

Post#933 » by al bondiga » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:42 pm

I am amazed I didn't Know how little care for fans, "return to play complaint" players have... I am a basketball explayer and fan and this aholes are killing the NBA for me
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,750

Post#934 » by QUIZ » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:03 pm

As long as LeBron is still in favor of resuming play the season will resume.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#935 » by gom » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:20 pm

Players have legitimate reasons to not resume play, especially with covid increasing again in Florida. It's a mistake to reopen so prematurely.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Mike1989
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#936 » by Mike1989 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:02 am

gom wrote:Players have legitimate reasons to not resume play, especially with covid increasing again in Florida. It's a mistake to reopen so prematurely.

If the league can create a bubble then their exposure could be limited and made safe for the players. They wouldn’t need to travel or be exposed like they normally would. Everything they need and want can be provided on location. It’s not ideal, but that might be the only way they can return to play in the near future.

Also, how long do they wait to return to playing?

Later this year is by no means going to be any safer than it is now, especially if a second wave occurs. Next year could be just as bad if the virus continues to hit in waves. If no effective treatment/vaccine is found, and this virus continues and doesn’t burn itself out, then the risk will always remain to some degree.
Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect
And1: 268

Post#937 » by Bottomsouth » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:00 am

gom wrote:Players have legitimate reasons to not resume play, especially with covid increasing again in Florida. It's a mistake to reopen so prematurely.

Agreed. I think NBA should just cancel indefinitely until not another person in the US gets a positive test. However long that is. It was a good run but it’s over. I think we’ll have to stick with pretty empty nascar stadium races.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#938 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:36 am

Bottomsouth wrote:

Agreed. I think NBA should just cancel indefinitely until not another person in the US gets a positive test. However long that is. It was a good run but it’s over. I think we’ll have to stick with pretty empty nascar stadium races.

And what happens if we go into the 2022-23 season and 85 people still have COVID and the NBA has lost $15 Bill
Read on Twitter
Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect
And1: 268

Post#939 » by Bottomsouth » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:57 am

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Bottomsouth wrote:

And what happens if we go into the 2022-23 season and 85 people still have COVID and the NBA has lost $15 Bill

Duh the owners are rich and had their time being rich to. The time is now to shut it all down till we stop climate change.

Should’ve put something to let it be known I am being sarcastic. Everyone else can work and you out, so can the players. Let those that want to then play and others can walk Tom their contract during their time out unless their contract has provisions protecting their disbursements.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#940 » by gom » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:25 am

If Americans would have done social distancing properly in March, we would have had few casualties, few job losses, less disruption to the economy, a short delay to our sports leagues... Instead we have a bucket of slop and people dismissing the risks. I said the same thing to Brazilians back in March. They laughed at me then. It's real funny. Sure.

As for the bubble, I'm confident they can pull it off, however, I'm sure that given the current moment in history, basketball is not the most important priority. Maybe if we saw a bill passed like 8CantWait has proposed, but this is a teachable moment in America. I could never expect NBA players to separate the reality of the political moment from the game. They are people first, and if you can't see that, I feel sorry for you.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^

Return to Miami Heat