Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, & Others Seek Insurance Policies For Career-Threatening Injuries

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, & Others Seek Insurance Policies For Career-Threatening Injuries 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:01 pm

Bam AdebayoD'Aaron Fox, Kyle KuzmaDonovan Mitchell and Jayson Tatum had a call with Players Association officials over the possibility of receiving league-financed insurance policies that would protect them against career-threatening injuries suffered in Orlando.

As part of the 2017 class, the five players are eligible for rookie extensions starting in the upcoming free agency period.

The five players believe they are taking on added personal risk due to the possibility of an increase in injuries after taking three months off.

The NBPA and NBA have previously discussed protections in the case of serious COVID-19 illness or career-threatening injury in Orlando.

Insurance policies for the five players could cost in the range of $500,000, though it would be difficult to prove that an injury affected future earnings unless it was career-ending. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Re: Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, & Others Seek Insurance Policies For Career-Threatening Injuries 

Post#2 » by 24istheLAW » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Genuinely curious. Why is it that difficult to prove that an injury affected future earnings?

Houses get appraised, no? If there is a formal appraisal of Bam Adebayo, that is established when he pays for the policy, and he gets injured and signs for significantly less during this offseason, isn't that pretty ironclad?

I get that it is in the insurer's interest to avoid paying. It just doesn't seem like something with that much gray area, and if the insurer sees it as a risk they'd build that into the price. Where am I off here?
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, & Others Seek Insurance Policies For Career-Threatening Injuries 

Post#3 » by Elnegron » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:35 am

U are right. I see players trying to play just because they don't wanna be called selfish if they opt not to
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#4 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:29 am

24istheLAW wrote:Genuinely curious. Why is it that difficult to prove that an injury affected future earnings? Houses get appraised, no? If there is a formal appraisal of Bam Adebayo, that is established when he pays for the policy, and he gets injured and signs for significantly less during this offseason, isn't that pretty ironclad? I get that it is in the insurer's interest to avoid paying. It just doesn't seem like something with that much gray area, and if the insurer sees it as a risk they'd build that into the price. Where am I off here?

I don't understand your question. The athletes can get insurance, there's no debate there, the article is about whether or not the league will pay for it.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#5 » by 24istheLAW » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:10 am

HotelVitale wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:Genuinely curious. Why is it that difficult to prove that an injury affected future earnings? Houses get appraised, no? If there is a formal appraisal of Bam Adebayo, that is established when he pays for the policy, and he gets injured and signs for significantly less during this offseason, isn't that pretty ironclad? I get that it is in the insurer's interest to avoid paying. It just doesn't seem like something with that much gray area, and if the insurer sees it as a risk they'd build that into the price. Where am I off here?

I don't understand your question. The athletes can get insurance, there's no debate there, the article is about whether or not the league will pay for it.

Ok that's what I was missing here. Thanks.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#6 » by kalel123 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:50 am

This, I can respect because of their unique contract situation.

Kyrie Irving can go to hell.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:28 am

If I remember correctly, Nerlens Noel has a $10 million dollar insurance policy on his legs in college.

I don’t see why most players wouldn’t look to get insured.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#8 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:05 am

kalel123 wrote:This, I can respect because of their unique contract situation.

So because Kyrie is being conscious of the national unrest related to the senseless murder of black peele, he should go to hell?
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#9 » by kalel123 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:21 am

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:
kalel123 wrote:This, I can respect because of their unique contract situation.

So because Kyrie is being conscious of the national unrest related to the senseless murder of black peele, he should go to hell?

He can go to hell because even though he won't even be taking part in it and restarting the season has nothing to do with social injustice, he's trying to connect the two for the same reason he claims to be flat earth believer.

Return to Wiretap Discussion