ImageImageImageImageImage

Stay with core or get younger?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

If you could get younger and be as good or better....would you break up the core (splash brothers)

yes - as long as dynasty continues, changing the core is fine. Prefer to have younger team.
53%
no - having the core be part of the dynasty is more important than how long the run is.
47%

Total votes: 19

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,387

Stay with core or get younger? 

Post#1 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Bill Walsh and the 9er's use to trade sooner than later....extending the dynasty in the process.

I think Warriors have a chance to do something similar, moving Klay and Green and draft picks for a younger team.
Not saying it would be this combination but Warriors could translate Klay and Green and picks into.
Curry, Beal, Wiggins, Giannis.

Essentially, would you be in favor of moving players now BEFORE their decline...or let the core stay together with options for rebuilding at the end?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,181

Re: Stay with core or get younger? 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:11 pm

no you can't break up the core, you can keep the core and still get younger at the same time, it doesn't have to be one or the other.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#3 » by Coxy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:28 pm

clyde21 wrote:no you can't break up the core, you can keep the younger and still get younger at the same time, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Agreed. We can retool with youth this draft and next due to the favourable and fortunate picks we have.

Retire the core 3 as Warriors I say.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#4 » by Little Digger » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 pm

What the problem? Bender is the core of our core and he’s still young.
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#5 » by ChuckDurn » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:03 pm

Coxy wrote:
clyde21 wrote:no you can't break up the core, you can keep the younger and still get younger at the same time, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Agreed. We can retool with youth this draft and next due to the favourable and fortunate picks we have.

Retire the core 3 as Warriors I say.

Yep. Agreed with both of you.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,810

Post#6 » by cdubbz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:04 am

The way our draft picks are set up we can retool while our core declines. It’s literally LIGHT YEARS ahead. We may or may not land a star this draft or next but we have the chance to in the lottery which is good.

Andre Wiggins expires at a good time and to me is a reboot card once again. We will have cap space while our draft picks are on rookie contracts.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#7 » by azwfan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:14 am

We got drafted Curry, Klay, and Draymond with #7, #11, and #35.

Between this years top 5 pick, and next years Minny pick, we absolutely have the opportunity to build for the future without tearing up our core.

But we gotta draft well. Cant be any disappointing picks like Marquese Chriss or Dragan Bender. We cant even pick an Andrew Wiggins. We need to pick (and develop) someone good. I tend to think the odds are against us if we flatly draft with the pick, but I’m sure I’ll be all about it when the time comes.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#8 » by The Maestro » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:44 am

azwfan wrote:We got drafted Curry, Klay, and Draymond with #7, #11, and #35.

Between this years top 5 pick, and next years Minny pick, we absolutely have the opportunity to build for the future without tearing up our core.

But we gotta draft well. Cant be any disappointing picks like Marquese Chriss or Dragan Bender. We cant even pick an Andrew Wiggins. We need to pick (and develop) someone good. I tend to think the odds are against us if we flatly draft with the pick, but I’m sure I’ll be all about it when the time comes.

We also have our own pick next year and while it should be towards the end of the first rd, the draft is loaded and there will be quality players available in the 20’s.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#9 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:46 pm

Having 2 picks in the first round for next season is like having pocket full of gold to barter with.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#10 » by wco81 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:43 pm

Odds are, none of the players they draft in the next two years will be as good as these 3 players.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,387

Post#11 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:04 pm

wco81 wrote:

Odds are, none of the players they draft in the next two years will be as good as these 3 players.

This is a great video describing the difficulty in successful drafting. That's why I don't see betting on the upside of 20 year olds as being light years ahead. Light years ahead get's the star and super star via trade or FA. BTW … we don't have Jerry West with us anymore. Warriors have not been that great with their draft choices after West left.

Here's the video...highly recommend it!

[url][/url]
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,689

Post#12 » by DAWill1128 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:10 am

I don’t really see the point in trading any of three all-stars from a team one injured year removed from five straight trips to the Finals.

Ray and Reggie are similar players to Klay and they played all-star level ball till 35.

Steph probably would have put up 30ppg this year in a full season.

Dray will see some drop off but his leadership, IQ, and toughness are well needed. He will take a bit of a backseat going forward during the regular season in the way that Igoudola had. Plus I don’t see any reason not to let Paschall play heavy minutes and continue to develop and gain chemistry with the team.

We have two likely top 5-6 picks in the next two drafts, and additional 1st rounder, and 6 picks in total over the next two years. We will be very young. The franchise is already going in a youth direction. Will we have to hit a home run to sustain a long period of success? Yeah, but so does every franchise. While we haven’t had a top pick since Barnes we have also found success with later picks like Paschall, Green, Ellis, and Arenas. I think we will find a great NBA player based on the draft positions and number of picks over the next two drafts.

Everyone currently projected to be on the roster outside the big 3 is under 25 except Damion Lee. We gave young guys a lot of minutes to develop and found some guys who can play roles. If anything I would say the reason we were so bad, especially defensively was due to the team being so young. Vets don’t play that bad on defense and we saw that with Igoudola, Shaun, and Bogut on the last run.

If anything I am kinda hoping we get some vets to come in, guys that have at least some playoff experience under their belt.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#13 » by azwfan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:12 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
wco81 wrote:

This is a great video describing the difficulty in successful drafting. That's why I don't see betting on the upside of 20 year olds as being light years ahead. Light years ahead get's the star and super star via trade or FA. BTW … we don't have Jerry West with us anymore. Warriors have not been that great with their draft choices after West left.

Here's the video...highly recommend it!

[url][/url]

Drafting and developing well IS light years ahead. Whether or not we’re able to do that remains to be seen. Betting on a superstar trade developing and coming to fruition is basically hoping luck is on your side. We aint getting Giannis no matter how many picks or Paschall’s we add UNLESS he demands out and GSW is on the short list.

May have a shot at Simmons tho... hahaha. Still need to draft and develop well prior to the trade materializing so we got some players teams covet instead of say Jordan Poole and Jacob Evans.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#14 » by The Maestro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:13 am

Schlenk was just as big a loss as West
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,585

Post#15 » by HiRez » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:37 am

The problem is that by the time you develop a bunch of rookies—and it's a big "if" whether you can even draft and develop well—Steph, Klay, and Draymond are on their last legs and your window is shutting fast, or shut. And without the reliable help of those rookies while the window's open the next couple years, it's not enough to support the core 3.

There's also the problem of trusting year 1-3 players as the pressure mounts in the playoffs. Even the ones who will be great usually take time to develop what you need to win a chip: the confidence, the poise, the killer instinct, the knowledge to not be taken advantage of by crafty, steeled veterans like Harden, LeBron, Kawhi, CP3, etc.

It's always tempting to get excited by drafting a future star and watch them develop, but there's no room for a miss on this team before it all falls apart. We need more veteran experience and reliable production on both ends IMO.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#16 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:17 am

Well, personally I have no issues taking Wiseman.

And I have 2 1st round picks in the draft next year that is supposed to be a loaded draft.

So I'm going to solve my center position with Wiseman and Chriss, and then next season I can parlay those 1st round picks into a really good trade for a veteran, or use the entire package of young stuff for Giannis if it becomes available.

Next season:
Core
TPE
MLE
Wiggins
Wiseman

Paschall
Glenn Robinson
Mulder
Chriss
Bowman or Lee

Cruz:
Smiley
Toscano
Bowman floating
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#17 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Steph, Klay and Dray deserve, have earned, the right to be built around for a chance at one last run. Getting rid of any of them would be a slap in the face. Beyond that, do whatever you can to retool, but they have to stay.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#18 » by Flash Falcon X » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:58 pm

Warriors are in a rare opportunity where they can compete for a championship and build for the future at the same time.

They still have their core of All-Stars who will be fresh for the first time after going to the Finals for 5 consecutive seasons.

Plus they have a Top 5 pick in the upcoming draft. Yes, no being names like a Zion or Anthony Davis but there will definitely be sleepers who can surprise people. No one expected guys like Paul George or Giannis or Kawhi to be great when they got drafted. Now we have a lottery with a lot of questions marks so hopefully GSW can get lucky and draft someone who will surprise a lot of people.
#DubNation
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#19 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:02 pm

The question is worded weird so I answered incorrectly

I wouldn’t break up the core and just get younger with our picks the next two years. It’s pretty rare for a dynasty type team to have two early picks to keep the train rolling.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,585

Post#20 » by HiRez » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:11 pm

I'd feel better no about no major trade if they can get Wiseman (or trade down slightly for Okongwu or Okoro). Those guys can contribute right away on defense and have at least offensive potential. Still need some vet help though, our bench looks putrid right now, that bench as currently constructed is not going to win a chip.

Still would prefer a Simmons trade (more realistic than Giannis) as that would not only expand our offense and add defense, but would provide high level protection at the PG spot in case of a Steph injury. If they could draft Wiseman and then trade for Simmons using only the MIN 2021 pick, future GS FRP(s), and Wiggins, that would be ideal.

Return to Golden State Warriors