The Newer-est Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,221

Re: The Newer-est Video Game Thread 

Post#121 » by Calinks » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:22 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Great reveal, but my takeaway is that most of these games can easily run on PS4. I think just a handful of games really reached full potential of the old console, when you look at God of war, Spiderman, Horizon and Death Stranding, these games look way better than a lot of games showed here, do we really needed new gen right now? I am just a little salty, because I dont want to buy new console so relatively soon, I bought PS4 not that long ago it feels.
Crazy, but most impressive game was probably that Rachet and Clank game, looked great, amazing graphics, fast pace action.

Console itself looks great, way better than just a black brick that was PS4.

A while back, there were all of these rumors about how major of a leap the next-gen will be over this one. Some were saying stuff like the biggest leap from 16 to 32 bit. Figured it was BS and I think it is. There do appear to be some massive leaps in hard drive speed and compute power but I don't think it will be THAT noticeable. Graphics-wise things will look better, significantly so but not mind-blowing.

A lot of people have been making a big deal about Xbox continuing to make games that can run on Xbox One and the new console. They say they are holding these games back. To a degree, I think sure, but it's not as bad as people make out. I am pretty confident that anything that comes out in the first 18 months of the consoles life will be very similar to stuff you could get right now anyway.

If a AAA game comes out withing 2 years, it has almost certainly been in development for 4-5 years already. Very few of these games were being made on PS5 or Seris X hardware 2-3 years ago. Maybe some of these games will have some features that really take advantage of the SSD but I doubt anything that is coming out in the near future takes full advantage of the new hardware.

It takes about 3-4 years into new hardware to usually see the stuff that isn't doable on older hardware, I suspect that will be the same this time around too.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#122 » by packforfreedom » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Only a couple of days until The Last of Us 2 :D
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#123 » by shangrila » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:14 am

packforfreedom wrote:Only a couple of days until The Last of Us 2 :D

I hope you enjoy it. Honestly.

I'm not touching it with a 10ft pole.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#124 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:43 pm

Calinks wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:Yea, the buzz around the original was crazy. This was before I had any real access to the internet or games media outside of game mags and visiting a game store. I don't believe I had a Playstation at the time but I also wasn't that much into JRPG's. I was a teen then and I do remember one of my friends telling me how amazing the game was. He was really blown away, for some reason it never made me try and get it though. Don't know why, suppose I was just more interested in the N64 and my wrestling games/Goldeneye.

I probably didn't get a PlayStation until around 98/99 and by then I suppose the game wasn't on my radar. That's what made getting the remake so appealing to me though, I get to experience the story for the first time (though I hear there are some major alterations).

The only game I'm aware of that has a story line that can compete with FFVII is Star Wars Knights of the old republic. Also very old now. If you get the chance to play that after completing FFVII I recommend doing so.

I was an OG Xbox guy. Was number 7 in line at Best Buy in Maplewood on launch day in 2001. First consoles I ever bought with my own money and I was very proud of that fact lol. I absolutely got KOTOR when that came out and I loved it. Loved Mass Effect a handful of years later too. Funnily enough... Just last year I started to "Replay" KOTOR II and after about 4 hours in, I realized, I never beat the game.

For all these years I swore in my mind that I beat KOTOR 1 and 2 but somehow I only played a little bit of 2. I was shocked. The great news was, I got to experience the majority of it for the first time. I really enjoyed it though I see why some take issue with it.

Awesome that you played KotOR I and II. I played KotOR light side only. I can't go dark. Not in my nature. I played some KotOR II at school in the game room on loan, but it had a glitch so I got stuck. I never finished it. It seemed good, but not as good as the original.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#125 » by Mattya » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33 pm

shangrila wrote:

I don't get it? Is there something wrong with the game i'm not hearing about?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#126 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:54 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:The only game I'm aware of that has a story line that can compete with FFVII is Star Wars Knights of the old republic. Also very old now. If you get the chance to play that after completing FFVII I recommend doing so.

I was an OG Xbox guy. Was number 7 in line at Best Buy in Maplewood on launch day in 2001. First consoles I ever bought with my own money and I was very proud of that fact lol. I absolutely got KOTOR when that came out and I loved it. Loved Mass Effect a handful of years later too. Funnily enough... Just last year I started to "Replay" KOTOR II and after about 4 hours in, I realized, I never beat the game.

For all these years I swore in my mind that I beat KOTOR 1 and 2 but somehow I only played a little bit of 2. I was shocked. The great news was, I got to experience the majority of it for the first time. I really enjoyed it though I see why some take issue with it.

Awesome that you played KotOR I and II. I played KotOR light side only. I can't go dark. Not in my nature. I played some KotOR II at school in the game room on loan, but it had a glitch so I got stuck. I never finished it. It seemed good, but not as good as the original.

I highly recommend you give KOTOR 2 another shot if you have any interest. Even playing the basic (though visually upgraded on Xbox One X) version of the game which is incomplete in some ways (Obsidian was rushed to finish it, some elements are missing), I still like a lot of it, even more, thank KOTOR 1.

The writing is really well crafted, there is a lot more grey area among the characters and it explores pretty deeply what it means to be a light and dark side force user. On top of that, the game really lets you build your character out, by the end, I was a raving powerhouse who could clear rooms through sheer force alone with ease. The game holds up.

On PC you can add some mods that restore a lot of the content and offer an even better experience. I prefer playing on console though and haven't tried that.

If they ever do remaster the game I strongly suggest you give it another shot.
packforfreedom
Analyst

Post#127 » by packforfreedom » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 am

Mattya wrote:
shangrila wrote:

Some Naughty Dog guy leaked parts of the game to protest working conditions at the company. But the actual 'outrage' was sparked by people who thought the game is too 'political' and 'sjw-like' now. It has to do with Ellie's appearence, sexual orientation etc.

It's ridiculous.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#128 » by shangrila » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:40 am

packforfreedom wrote:
Mattya wrote:
shangrila wrote:I hope you enjoy it. Honestly.

Some Naughty Dog guy leaked parts of the game to protest working conditions at the company. But the actual 'outrage' was sparked by people who thought the game is too 'political' and 'sjw-like' now. It has to do with Ellie's appearence, sexual orientation etc.

It's ridiculous.

I hope you're not speaking for me, because my issues have nothing to do with the politics.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#129 » by shangrila » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:31 am

Mattya wrote:
shangrila wrote:

There's a few issues for me. Personally I wasn't a fan of the original to begin with (didn't hate it, just thought the idea it was one of the best games of all time was laughable) and following the leaks I found that a lot of my problems with the original weren't going to be fixed in the sequel. And, in some cases, they seem to have gotten worse.

My main problem was always with the narrative. As someone who studied storytelling I probably have a higher bar than other people, to be fair, but I still just found it all disappointing. They tried to create a world with a grey morality but either didn't achieve it or undercut themselves for god knows what reason. I'll give you examples.

First, Joel. He's an interesting character, to be sure, presented as an anti-hero, a ruthless survivor who's done and seen all the bad things in order to continue living. The issue? We're only ever told those things. You never see them. And that is a cardinal sin in story telling; you show, don't tell and never the other way around. If they wanted to present him as an anti-hero they should have shown it. Show him betraying someone to further his own ends, show him robbing some poor sap for their supplies or killing someone pre-emptively because he thinks they might be a threat. That would have solidified him as a clear anti-hero, rather than just some throwaway dialogue like that "I've been on both sides of this trap" scene. And before anyone mentions the final act; he did all that for Ellie. Even if he doomed mankind you as the player are rooting for him because you're attached to Ellie, so it's a moot point. The whole point of grey morality in story telling is to leave the reader conflicted. If you don't achieve that it's pointless and, at least personally, they didn't. I didn't hate Joel or think him murdering the Fireflies was bad because I cared more about Ellie than Nameless Goon #658.

Secondly was the other group of survivors they encounter midway through the story. This had SOOOOOOOOOOO much potential that it just annoys me that they screwed themselves in the end. I'll explain.

Imagine this scenario; a few guys are wandering through a university, at the same time that Joel and Ellie are there. These guys spot movement and, thinking it's a zombie, decide to take the shot...narrowly missing Joel, who they've mistaken for a zombie. So now Joel is getting shot at and defends himself against what he assumes are raiders. And those other survivors? Well now they're getting shot at by Joel, so they try to defend themselves because they assume some raider heard the shot and is trying to kill them for their stuff. Joel kills them all, in self defence.

Right there you have a pretty compelling situation. A mistake has led to a misunderstanding that led to violence and no one is truly at fault. You continue on. As Joel was winning he's wounded and Ellie has to nurse him back to health. She finds some non-violent survivors who talk about their missing friends, who were scavenging the university looking for equipment or something (could even throw something on top, like the equipment they needed was a ventilator for a dying friend). Again, you're left with tragedy that no one is at fault for.

And if you continued and had those survivors going after Joel for revenge, you would have had a great scenario; one where everyone is justified in their actions and the reader, even as they're experiencing things through Joel, can actively empathise with the other side. It would have been perfect.

Instead ND made those other survivors cannibals, instantly making them villains without redeeming features and so you killing them all turns into a good thing, rather than a moral challenge.

And after reading/watching the leaks, I found a lot of these issues hadn't been fixed. There's still tons of telling and not showing, if anything it's gotten worse, and I got the vibe that these characters weren't very likable. This was further compounded after I watched SkillUp's spoiler free review, where he confirmed that he felt the same and added that he felt a lot of characters made stupid decisions simply in order to move the plot along. Which I honestly can't stand, given my background. It's crappy writing and just pisses me off.

I also found that the way Sony and ND reacted to the leaks was pathetic. Sony illegally copyright claimed numerous different videos, some of which were only talking about the leaks in an abstract way (which, regardless of how they talked about it, Sony had no right to do) and it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd rather not support behaviour like that. And ND, or the game lead Druckmann, just did the standard "oh you don't like me thing with gay people in it? You're a homophobe then." Which, sure, there was some of that. But when you use that to try and bury all criticism, even the legitimate stuff...that annoys me. And, again, I don't want to support that kind of stuff, so I vote with my wallet.

Finally, I think the gameplay is outdated. It doesn't seem to have changed much from the original and even that was sort of stretching my tolerance back then. The melee combat, while visually appealing, is simplistic and repetitive. Guns were and apparently still are unwieldy and more annoying than fun to use. And the stealth system was as basic as possible, something that they've changed a little I'll admit with the introduction of sniffer dogs, but it still seems like something I've played before a few hundred times (which, I'm a hardcore gamer, so my experience might be different to yours).

If anyone wants to enjoy it, I'm happy for them (as I said in my original post). But as I've detailed above, I just don't think this game is for me so I'm avoiding it. Also, sorry for the long post but there's a lot I need to say about this game. Especially nowadays as my dislike of this game is instantly branded as homophobia by some unless I explain this stuff specifically.
packforfreedom
Analyst

Post#130 » by packforfreedom » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:46 am

didn't read your post because I want to avoid spoilers and I didn't necessarily mean you when I described why there's outrage about this game, but when people say they wouldn't touch the game, I think it's mostly because of the reasons I stated, which I think are ridiculous. If you have an elaborate differentiated opinion why you don't want to even try this game, that's good for you.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#131 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:29 pm

Calinks wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:I was an OG Xbox guy. Was number 7 in line at Best Buy in Maplewood on launch day in 2001. First consoles I ever bought with my own money and I was very proud of that fact lol. I absolutely got KOTOR when that came out and I loved it. Loved Mass Effect a handful of years later too. Funnily enough... Just last year I started to "Replay" KOTOR II and after about 4 hours in, I realized, I never beat the game.

I highly recommend you give KOTOR 2 another shot if you have any interest. Even playing the basic (though visually upgraded on Xbox One X) version of the game which is incomplete in some ways (Obsidian was rushed to finish it, some elements are missing), I still like a lot of it, even more, thank KOTOR 1.

The writing is really well crafted, there is a lot more grey area among the characters and it explores pretty deeply what it means to be a light and dark side force user. On top of that, the game really lets you build your character out, by the end, I was a raving powerhouse who could clear rooms through sheer force alone with ease. The game holds up.

On PC you can add some mods that restore a lot of the content and offer an even better experience. I prefer playing on console though and haven't tried that.

I've always very much preferred gaming on Console to computer. However, on your recommendation I will see if I can get KotOR II on computer since I no longer have a console. Did you finish the first installment of FFVII yet?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#132 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:51 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Awesome that you played KotOR I and II. I played KotOR light side only. I can't go dark. Not in my nature. I played some KotOR II at school in the game room on loan, but it had a glitch so I got stuck. I never finished it. It seemed good, but not as good as the original.

I've always very much preferred gaming on Console to computer. However, on your recommendation I will see if I can get KotOR II on computer since I no longer have a console. Did you finish the first installment of FFVII yet?

I haven't, it will probably be a while before I get back to it. Been taking the extra time to actually finish some older games I haven't played much of. Just finisher Outer Worlds, going to give Death Stranding an earnest run and then will be playing Last of Us II this week.

I'll get around to Final Fantasy, probably closer to fall at this rate. I still want to finish Witcher 3 (probably like 70 percent done but stopped playing years ago) before Cyberpunk releases. Lots on the plate.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#133 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Calinks wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:I highly recommend you give KOTOR 2 another shot if you have any interest. Even playing the basic (though visually upgraded on Xbox One X) version of the game which is incomplete in some ways (Obsidian was rushed to finish it, some elements are missing), I still like a lot of it, even more, thank KOTOR 1.

I haven't, it will probably be a while before I get back to it. Been taking the extra time to actually finish some older games I haven't played much of. Just finisher Outer Worlds, going to give Death Stranding an earnest run and then will be playing Last of Us II this week.

I'll get around to Final Fantasy, probably closer to fall at this rate. I still want to finish Witcher 3 (probably like 70 percent done but stopped playing years ago) before Cyberpunk releases. Lots on the plate.

I had role play sickness back in the day. I was known to play 50 hours at a time with only bathroom breaks.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#134 » by shangrila » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:47 pm

packforfreedom wrote:didn't read your post because I want to avoid spoilers and I didn't necessarily mean you when I described why there's outrage about this game, but when people say they wouldn't touch the game, I think it's mostly because of the reasons I stated, which I think are ridiculous. If you have an elaborate differentiated opinion why you don't want to even try this game, that's good for you.

My post is about the original, not the sequel. No spoilers.

I might not want to play it myself but I'm not going to ruin it for others either.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#135 » by Calinks » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:58 pm

I put a few hours into Last of Us 2 already. Really enjoying it. Game is beautiful, instantly thought of Red Dead Redemption 2 when I started playing which is probably the most graphically detailed game I have played.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#136 » by shangrila » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 pm

Out of curiousity, has anyone played Nier Automata? I know it got reviewed high but I feel like it flew under the radar in the general public.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#137 » by LibertyPrime » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:10 am

For fans of horror games, the launch trailer for Outlast 3 is out:

I have high hopes and expectations for this game, chief among them that someone will explain just what the hell was going on in Outlast 2. :banghead:
"The last domino falls here!"
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#138 » by Calinks » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:22 am

Really enjoying Last of Us 2, def my frontrunner for game of the year.

There are three more games I am greatly looking forward to this year.

Ghost of Tsushima

Wasteland 3

And the biggest of them all, Cyberpunk 2077. So ready for Cyberpunk!

I am really curious as to what is going on with NBA 2K, how will they release that this season? Will they push it back until Nov/Dec or 2021? How are they going to figure out how to schedule the next in-game season? Maybe they will just have to push it back to like next spring to try and keep up with all the changes.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#139 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Calinks wrote:Really enjoying Last of Us 2, def my frontrunner for game of the year.

There are three more games I am greatly looking forward to this year.

Ghost of Tsushima

Wasteland 3

And the biggest of them all, Cyberpunk 2077. So ready for Cyberpunk!

I am really curious as to what is going on with NBA 2K, how will they release that this season? Will they push it back until Nov/Dec or 2021? How are they going to figure out how to schedule the next in-game season? Maybe they will just have to push it back to like next spring to try and keep up with all the changes.

My middle son was BLOWN AWAY by Last of Us when it came out and he showed it to me. I was impressed by it. I'm going to check with him on 2 and I'm guessing he's already playing it. I will share his thoughts with you all.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#140 » by Calinks » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:46 pm

It's pretty much peak videogame movie experience. You are playing a game but the acting, writing, detail, is top-notch. Game is completely gruesome and dark though, a turn off for a lot of people.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves