ImageImageImageImage

Jonathan Isaac ran for the first time since Jan. 1 this week

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Re: Jonathan Isaac ran for the first time since Jan. 1 this week 

Post#41 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:10 am

Weltman has been pretty damn consistent when it comes to injuries. He airs heavily on the side of caution and I would be absolutely shocked if he logged another minute this season.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#42 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:42 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:Weltman has been pretty damn consistent when it comes to injuries. He airs heavily on the side of caution and I would be absolutely shocked if he logged another minute this season.

He refused to rule anybody out for a year so far. I mean it was clear Aminu and him were both gone for a season that should have ended month and half ago. But nop.
Did same with Bamba and Fultz in playoffs last year.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#43 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:07 pm

JI said on the news yesterday or today that the plan right now is he will be in the bubble for the season. No official word on if he will be playing, but he will be at Disney with the team.
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#44 » by Tarheel » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:09 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:JI said on the news yesterday or today that the plan right now is he will be in the bubble for the season. No official word on if he will be playing, but he will be at Disney with the team.

This would suggest that there's a good chance he'll be playing. Teams are only allowed to bring a finite number of people to the bubble so it wouldn't make sense to waste a spot on someone who can't contribute.
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 889

Post#45 » by Bakomagic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:35 pm

A JI return is interesting!

I’ve wondered how we were planning to navigate the backup PF minutes ? It’s crazy that we are thin at PF considering our favorite joke is that we hoard them.

With injuries to JI, Okeke, and Aminu we were stuck with playing Gleague level guys like Amile or Gary Clark or going to small/big and playing Birch or one of our SF’s at the PF spot. No Bueno !

I hope JI is healthy enough to at least come back on a minute restriction, hell we can have him backup AG for all I care. We are going to need 48 minutes of solid defense at that spot to stop Siakim or Giannis from going nuclear on us.

I mean imagine the likes of Iwundu or Birch attempting to guard one of those two....horrifying right ?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#46 » by Skybox » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:14 pm

We all love JI but while falling down the YouTube rabbit hole I came across a couple of profiles of his defensive impact. He's freaking amazing and while no one's completely untouchable, he's got to be pretty close based on his DPOY (I won't even call it potential).

His highlight reel is like the defense version of a Jason Williams highlight reel-looks like the greatest PG ever.
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 889

Post#47 » by Bakomagic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Skybox wrote:We all love JI but while falling down the YouTube rabbit hole I came across a couple of profiles of his defensive impact. He's freaking amazing and while no one's completely untouchable, he's got to be pretty close based on his DPOY (I won't even call it potential).

His highlight reel is like the defense version of a Jason Williams highlight reel-looks like the greatest PG ever.

I’ve recently been down the same rabbit hole (must’ve just missed you when I was there haha).

What I notice is that his Dpoy level play would not be easily replaced and I’d only trade him for a no doubt #1 scoring option and not just a potential #1.

He may not be able to rip off a 8-0 scoring run individually but in the highlights I saw a few games where he’d make 3 or four defensive plays within a 4 minute period (Block, steal/deflection, charge drawn) which allowed up to rip off an 8-0 run offensively as a team.

It looks like we have a young player who is and will be elite defensively for years to come (health willing) and that is something we should look to hold on to unless there is an offer we cannot refuse !
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#48 » by Knightro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Tarheel wrote:This would suggest that there's a good chance he'll be playing. Teams are only allowed to bring a finite number of people to the bubble so it wouldn't make sense to waste a spot on someone who can't contribute.

I don't think it means that at all, but that's just my read on the situation.

Can't imagine Weltman would throw cold water on this so quickly and ferociously last week only to basically pull a complete 180.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#49 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:26 pm

pepe1991 wrote:He refused to rule anybody out for a year so far. I mean it was clear Aminu and him were both gone for a season that should have ended month and half ago. But nop.
Did same with Bamba and Fultz in playoffs last year.

He still likes to make people think he's playing some form of 8D chess and that he is a lot smarter than he actually is. When in reality, he's as predictable and mediocre as they come.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#50 » by Skybox » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:53 pm

Bakomagic wrote:
Skybox wrote:We all love JI but while falling down the YouTube rabbit hole I came across a couple of profiles of his defensive impact. He's freaking amazing and while no one's completely untouchable, he's got to be pretty close based on his DPOY (I won't even call it potential).

I’ve recently been down the same rabbit hole (must’ve just missed you when I was there haha).

What I notice is that his Dpoy level play would not be easily replaced and I’d only trade him for a no doubt #1 scoring option and not just a potential #1.

He may not be able to rip off a 8-0 scoring run individually but in the highlights I saw a few games where he’d make 3 or four defensive plays within a 4 minute period (Block, steal/deflection, charge drawn) which allowed up to rip off an 8-0 run offensively as a team.

It looks like we have a young player who is and will be elite defensively for years to come (health willing) and that is something we should look to hold on to unless there is an offer we cannot refuse !

The more I watched, I also thought to myself "he'd be wasting his talent as a "small ball 5"...stay on the perimeter disrupting EVERYTHING! He's a completely different player than Rodman but seems like he could (or already does) have a similar effect on possession differential and game planning. He's special. I always defend AG as an exceptional defender but there's really no comparison. AG can make a tremendous impact on one guy, Isaac seems like he can alter the other team's game plan, to some extent.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#51 » by zaymon » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Skybox wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:

The more I watched, I also thought to myself "he'd be wasting his talent as a "small ball 5"...stay on the perimeter disrupting EVERYTHING! He's a completely different player than Rodman but seems like he could (or already does) have a similar effect on possession differential and game planning. He's special. I always defend AG as an exceptional defender but there's really no comparison. AG can make a tremendous impact on one guy, Isaac seems like he can alter the other team's game plan, to some extent.

Defense is kind of boring, unless its Isaac defending. The way he moves, the way he anticipates is fascinating to watch.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Dubious Kitty
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#52 » by Dubious Kitty » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 pm

This must of been one hell of a "sprain". Sidelines someone from running for 6 months. Someone is lying.
Tarheel
Sixth Man

Post#53 » by Tarheel » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Knightro wrote:
Tarheel wrote:This would suggest that there's a good chance he'll be playing. Teams are only allowed to bring a finite number of people to the bubble so it wouldn't make sense to waste a spot on someone who can't contribute.

Can't imagine Weltman would throw cold water on this so quickly and ferociously last week only to basically pull a complete 180.

Fair enough - I just can't see them justifying risking his health if he has no realistic prospect of playing. The whole point is to keep as many non-essential people out of the bubble/campus as possible and bringing along a glorified cheerleader doesn't really seem in the spirit of the whole thing.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#54 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:48 pm

Tarheel wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Fair enough - I just can't see them justifying risking his health if he has no realistic prospect of playing. The whole point is to keep as many non-essential people out of the bubble/campus as possible and bringing along a glorified cheerleader doesn't really seem in the spirit of the whole thing.

Is that for-sure? JI will be with the team inside the bubble? Is it the same with Aminu?
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,453

Post#55 » by jezzerinho » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:02 pm

zaymon wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:

Defense is kind of boring, unless its Isaac defending. The way he moves, the way he anticipates is fascinating to watch.

Absolutely. His footwork is just unbelievable. He has so much anticipation and then vertical spring that he can outleap opponents without using his arms for propulsion. That keeps him free to shoots those limbs out mamba-like to disrupt at will.

I don't see any scenario where Vassell is available at 16, but that kid has some pretty special footwork too. They'd make a lethal defensive combo.
Tarheel
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by Tarheel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 am

RookieStar wrote:
Tarheel wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Is that for-sure? JI will be with the team inside the bubble? Is it the same with Aminu?

It's not 100%, but JI is quoted as saying that it's the plan at present. Link

No idea on Aminu.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#57 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:20 am

Tarheel wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Tarheel wrote:

It's not 100%, but JI is quoted as saying that it's the plan at present. Link

No idea on Aminu.

With the limited number if slots inside the bubble.. if JI is in he has to play
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#58 » by Knightro » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:25 am

RookieStar wrote:With the limited number if slots inside the bubble.. if JI is in he has to play

I’m not trying to be a downer or anything, but there’s just no indication whatsoever that this is the case.

If he plays, great! But Weltman and Clifford barely a week ago both indicated there was virtually no chance of it happening.

That said, I think he’s still going to be in the bubble because Isaac individually and the Magic organizationally are both big on camaraderie and treating things like it’s a family and all that.

I’m sure JI wants to be there to support his teammates and I’m sure the organization wants him there as “connective tissue” as well.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,453

Post#59 » by jezzerinho » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:With the limited number if slots inside the bubble.. if JI is in he has to play

I’m not trying to be a downer or anything, but there’s just no indication whatsoever that this is the case.

If he plays, great! But Weltman and Clifford barely a week ago both indicated there was virtually no chance of it happening.

That said, I think he’s still going to be in the bubble because Isaac individually and the Magic organizationally are both big on camaraderie and treating things like it’s a family and all that.

I’m sure JI wants to be there to support his teammates and I’m sure the organization wants him there as “connective tissue” as well.

Agree. I don't think there's anything more to read into his presence than that.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#60 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:22 pm

Knightro wrote:

I understand.. lol it's good either way. He bonds with the team and show love for the Magic ( and hopefully resigns with us for a looong time ) and also gets to interact with the other players and entice them to sign with us.

Return to Orlando Magic